As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2010 BYOC Info/FAQ - REG CLOSED

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    That chart doesn't look like it can seat 550 people :o, or does that number include both freeplay AND BYOC?

I just did the math and counted it up, there are 550 seats on that chart.

You fail at math yo

There are indeed no longer 550 seats there, we cut some because BYOC reg went up late so we wernt going to sell through all the way because PAX tickets sold out. Its about at 450ish seats now.

I counted the left side and then estimated the right because I was half awake. :(

That's not math.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Decius wrote: »
    That chart doesn't look like it can seat 550 people :o, or does that number include both freeplay AND BYOC?

I just did the math and counted it up, there are 550 seats on that chart.

You fail at math yo

There are indeed no longer 550 seats there, we cut some because BYOC reg went up late so we wernt going to sell through all the way because PAX tickets sold out. Its about at 450ish seats now.

I counted the left side and then estimated the right because I was half awake. :(

That's not math.

You're not math.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    Hal15900Hal15900 Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    What are the hot games for BYOC this year?

I want to get them pre-installed :-)

Hal15900 on
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm going to out on a limb here and say starcraft 2.

Wormdundee on
  • Options
    atrayatray Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    any word yet on concert bands for BYOC?

atray on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SC2, TF2, Battlefield bad company 2, L4D2, League of legends (since i hear its a tournament), Theres still a lot of call of duty 4 going on, Blur, The new worms thats coming out on steam the week before PAX, and Alien Swarm (Free!)

just what i could think of off the top of my head :)

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wormdundee wrote: »
    I'm going to out on a limb here and say starcraft 2.

I'm actually thinking it's going to be TF2. Starcraft is Starcraft, but it's still an old school RTS. Those are just not as popular as an FPS. And with two titans from each category I think we'll see a lot more TF2.

Not that it matters, since fun will be had either way.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    AtomicGaryBuseyAtomicGaryBusey I put on my robe and wizard hat. Beautiful Lynnhood, Wash.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there ever any Quake 3 or Doom(II) action going down or is it primarily Valve/Blizz/<generic modern combat> games?

I've also got a handful of copies of Daikatana. You know you want to LAN that. :winky:

AtomicGaryBusey on
    fss_overall.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Is there ever any Quake 3 or Doom(II) action going down or is it primarily Valve/Blizz/<generic modern combat> games?

I've also got a handful of copies of Daikatana. You know you want to LAN that. :winky:

Its mostly newer games that are played. Im sure you can probably get some quake 3 arena going though...

BigRed on
  • Options
    murtemurte Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    BYOC attendees will get to check into BYOC 2h before PAX opening, So you guys can get all situated and get your stuff setup. I will post info where that will be and other instructions later when more things are finalized. Although Just like last year, theres no guarantee the network or Internet will be up and ready before the PAX start time. You guys will also be required to remain in BYOC until PAX opening (no wandering about). This is basically just so you guys can get things setup before the craziness of PAX starts.

Q: Basically I'm not allowed to be in the queue room? How's that supposed to work? What if I bring my computer later like around noon?

(obv first time byoc)

murte on
    PAX Prime 2011
    (+) PAX Prime 3-day - In my hands!
    (+) PAX Dev 2-day - READY
    (+) BYOC - READY
    (+) Hotel - READY
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Why would you want to be in the queue room?

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Because that's where everyone else is? Get to talk to people, eat cookies, see the video, then the mad rush?

murte on
    PAX Prime 2011
    (+) BYOC - READY
    (+) Hotel - READY
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well you can if you want to, you will just have to check in your computer later in the day. Or you can go down to the queue room, but by the time you get checked in and hooked your stuff up you might be toward the end of that line :P

BigRed on
  • Options
    SnipethewolfSnipethewolf Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Another reason someone might want to head back to the room is if they have friends that are not participating in BOYC like myself.

Would it be possible to leave the BOYC area and head back to the lines if I wanted?

Snipethewolf on
  • Options
    ThePimpImpThePimpImp Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    are there still seats left?

ThePimpImp on
  • Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ThePimpImp wrote: »
    are there still seats left?

Yes there are, but you need a three day pass to PAX as well and those sold out a long time ago.

GeeCee on
  • Options
    ThePimpImpThePimpImp Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i know but apparently there is a slim possibility of a hookup, and i no longer care for my low paying job, so time off isn't a big deal.

ThePimpImp on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If you want to leave BYOC to go to the Line room you should let one of my security enforcers know and it will be fine.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    If you want to leave BYOC to go to the Line room you should let one of my security enforcers know and it will be fine.

Thank you :)

murte on
    PAX Prime 2011
    (+) BYOC - READY
    (+) Hotel - READY
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Any word on concert bracelets? 'cause waiting for those in the main lines will take away a couple of hours from my beauty sleep, trying to get one of those dam strips of paper and adhesive. Would like to know as to not be disappointed for Anamanaguchi.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Any word on concert bracelets? 'cause waiting for those in the main lines will take away a couple of hours from my beauty sleep, trying to get one of those dam strips of paper and adhesive. Would like to know as to not be disappointed for Anamanaguchi.

As my understanding is that the concerts come with byoc automatically.

murte on
    PAX Prime 2011
    (+) BYOC - READY
    (+) Hotel - READY
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    murte wrote: »

As my understanding is that the concerts come with byoc automatically.

Normally this is true however it has been stated that they dont know if they are going to have bracelets for BYOC this year.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    JekhtJekht Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Anyone have any idea when the Tournaments go live? Lanfest website says 1st August, and I'd quite like to buy/install all of the games before we travel across to the US next week!

(I saw the above list, but wondered if there was anything else, or anything I should 'train' in :p)

Jekht on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Jekht wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea when the Tournaments go live? Lanfest website says 1st August, and I'd quite like to buy/install all of the games before we travel across to the US next week!

(I saw the above list, but wondered if there was anything else, or anything I should 'train' in :p)

These are the PC tournaments:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=125389

As far as the BYOC only things, There will be an email that goes out to everyone signed up for BYOC with a summary of some of the things we are doing. Can also post it in this thread.

BigRed on
  • Options
    AGlassOfMilkAGlassOfMilk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ThePimpImp wrote: »
    bah stupid new job won't give me the weekend off, guess its time to find a new one.

I told my Boss that the Friday of PAX is a religious holiday.

AGlassOfMilk on
  • Options
    SykoraSykora Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

This is also awfully important to the hubbsters and I, as it will significantly change our plans if they are not to be provided to BYOC peeps. Hope to hear soonly! =)

Oh, thought of a question: It was sort of accepted by BigRed by ignoring it earlier in this thread, but I'd like an explicit answer to this:

The security of personal belongings aside, will coolers be allowed to slouch around in your BYOC space indefinitely? Like, that guy was sayin' that he's temped to stock up on supermarket food and have a cooler - Will there be any foreseeable issues with that practice, aside from people possibly filching your cheddar and Tab? Like, I'll be allowed in with my [Icebox of Bottomless Provision], yes?

Sykora on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sykora wrote: »

This is also awfully important to the hubbsters and I, as it will significantly change our plans if they are not to be provided to BYOC peeps. Hope to hear soonly! =)

Oh, thought of a question: It was sort of accepted by BigRed by ignoring it earlier in this thread, but I'd like an explicit answer to this:

The security of personal belongings aside, will coolers be allowed to slouch around in your BYOC space indefinitely? Like, that guy was sayin' that he's temped to stock up on supermarket food and have a cooler - Will there be any foreseeable issues with that practice, aside from people possibly filching your cheddar and Tab? Like, I'll be allowed in with my [Icebox of Bottomless Provision], yes?

Well I can announce there will be *SOME* wristbands, but if there will be enough for every person in BYOC... we dont know yet.

As far as a cooler... I will inquire with a couple people.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    BYOC CONCERT WRISTBAND ANNOUNCEMENT:

So I got word, like as soon as I made my last post, lols.

I will start with the bad news: :(
    I will only have 100 wristbands for BYOC.
    So... The first 100 people who ask for a wristband during check-in on Friday morning will get one.
    I am going to be harsh here, but if you forget to ask for one during your check-in at the BYOC Desk then you missed your boat. Have to do this due to the low supply.

So you have to ask for one during checkin when we put your barcode on your badge, not before or after
    one wristband per BYOC attendee who does the above

WHILE SUPPLIES LAST!

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!!!

GET YOUR BYOC SEAT BEFORE THE CLOSE OF BYOC REGISTRATION AND YOU WILL RECEIVE AT NO EXTRA CHARGE...

In BYOC this year, we will have a video/audio stream from the main theater at Benaroya.
    There will be a couple projectors throwing up Concert main theater content and audio will be over ventrilo.

So unless you really want to see stuff in person, you could just hang out in BYOC to view the concerts. :D

Edit:
    It looks like it will just be concert stream. The other main theater stuff is 50-50 right now. So it might be there or it might not, no promises.

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Well I can announce there will be *SOME* wristbands, but if there will be enough for every person in BYOC... we dont know yet.

As far as a cooler... I will inquire with a couple people.

COOLERS:

Rules on coolers:

We will go with no
    Although I highly suggest you PM/IM me to ask :P

BigRed on
  • Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In BYOC this year, we will have a video/audio stream from the main theater at Benaroya.
    There will be a couple projectors throwing up Concert main theater content and audio will be over ventrilo.

So unless you really want to see stuff in person, you could just hang out in BYOC to view the concerts. :D

Edit:
    It looks like it will just be concert stream. The other main theater stuff is 50-50 right now. So it might be there or it might not, no promises.

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

GeeCee on
  • Options
    Mystral721Mystral721 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Edit:

THAT is awesome!

Mystral721 on
    "Little baby Cthulhu hopping through the forest, picking up the field mice and Sucking Out Their Souls"

http://www.logicalcreativity.com/jon/plush/01.html
  • Options
    BinnyBinny Whidbey Island, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Edit:

Internet High-Five! :D

Binny on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Edit:

Darn, that option does look appealing, but I HAVE to get to the JoCo concert... speaking of which, how will distribution go for Saturday? First 100 to ask when you walk in, in the morning wins?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    For Saturday lets do the first 100 BYOC people who ask the BYOC desk at PAX opening.

note:
    for Saturday you guys dont line up on the 6th floor. you can just hang out anywhere and head straight up when PAX opens.

BigRed on
  • Options
    AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    BR, that streaming concert thing sounds like it could be pretty cool.

I approve!

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • Options
    MaxNVMaxNV Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For Saturday lets do the first 100 BYOC people who ask the BYOC desk at PAX opening.

note:
    for Saturday you guys dont line up on the 6th floor. you can just hang out anywhere and head straight up when PAX opens.

Just wondering, but if I'm really keen to get one of those Saturday wristbands I could wait out side the entrance to the BYOC are right?

MaxNV on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    MaxNV wrote: »

note:

Just wondering, but if I'm really keen to get one of those Saturday wristbands I could wait out side the entrance to the BYOC are right?

No you cant. You guys wont be allowed to get up to the 6th floor until PAX opens on saturday. So you either have to wait in the queue room or mill around in the public areas (by the tullys/subway) until opening.

BigRed on
  • Options
    MaxNVMaxNV Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

No you cant. You guys wont be allowed to get up to the 6th floor until PAX opens on saturday. So you either have to wait in the queue room or mill around in the public areas (by the tullys/subway) until opening.

All right. I will probably just go line up in the big line on Saturday morning and maybe duck out once I get my wristband.

Also I just wanted to say thanks for all the answers in this thread! It's really helpful for a first timer.

MaxNV on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    No problem :)

Although I ask if you are a BYOC attendee and you manage to get a wristband in line to not try and get a 2nd from me, they are in highly limited supply and would prefer them to go to as many BYOC people as possible.

BigRed on
  • Options
    KenKopinKenKopin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Duct tape a laptop to it and call it an outboard chiller. :)

KenKopin on
This discussion has been closed.