As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Halo: Reach / 3 : Go to the new thead

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    One day, we should get a full group of 8 guys all with hologram and pretend that we're all AFK with our holo-selves standing next to us, just to screw with the other team.

I just want to fill up a blood gulch base with a 16-man holo-orgy.

Is that so wrong?

now im thinking RvB is gonna do something pg13 with Tucker and holograms, and in my head it is hilarious

Joolander on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So question... Are there any living dead games in any of the playlists on normal rotation?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nocren wrote: »
    So question... Are there any living dead games in any of the playlists on normal rotation?

Rumble Pit has them pop up about 6% of the time.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Another theory about Level 1 I have:
    Jorge said "I didn't think anyone survived Begassi," so maybe that's where the first mission takes place?

DarkPrimus on
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, apparently they talked about level 1 a tiny bit just after July 4th. The name of the level is winter contingency.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • 043043 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Jorge said "I didn't think anyone survived Begassi," so maybe that's where the first mission takes place?

He's talking about:
    OPERATION TORPEDO, the mission from the opening of Ghosts of Onyx, where every SPARTAN-III (Beta Company) on the ground, short of Tom and Lucy, died, trying to destroy a Covenant refinery on Pegasi Delta. Noble Six was pulled from Beta Company right before the mission started, and possibly tagged MIA to cover up his/her involvement in the Sabre program.

The first mission of the game is titled
    Winter Contingency. Which coincides with the radio chatter in the first two trailers.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2010
    043 wrote: »

He's talking about:
    OPERATION TORPEDO, the mission from the opening of Ghosts of Onyx, where every SPARTAN-III (Beta Company) on the ground, short of Tom and Lucy, died, trying to destroy a Covenant refinery on Pegasi Delta. Noble Six was pulled from Beta Company right before the mission started, and possibly tagged MIA to cover up his/her involvement in the Sabre program.

Winter Contingency. Which coincides with the radio chatter in the first two trailers.
    Okay well then my idea is meritless. :P

Kind of wondering why Noble Six got pulled from Pegasi though. I don't think the Sabre program was the reason, you'd think they'd take more than one S3 if that were the case.

DarkPrimus on
    edited August 2010

He's talking about:

Kind of wondering why Noble Six got pulled from Pegasi though. I don't think the Sabre program was the reason, you'd think they'd take more than one S3 if that were the case.

The best and brightest SPARTANs always seem to disappear right before a high risk operation, especially if command has something more important for them to do.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2010

He's talking about:

I don't think N6 got pulled from Pegasi, more like "Hey, he survived! Noble team needs a new member, throw him there."

FUCKIN' A, is it September yet?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited August 2010
    BTW, paid off my Reach console today and put in my time off request.

Gonna go to the midnight launch. Then it's straight home, HDD transfer time, then installing the game... I should be playing it by 1:30 AM I'm guessing. Of course I'll also be turning off notifications and no I don't want to do multiplayer the first night. :P

DarkPrimus on
    edited August 2010
    BTW, paid off my Reach console today and put in my time off request.

Gonna go to the midnight launch. Then it's straight home, HDD transfer time, then installing the game... I should be playing it by 1:30 AM I'm guessing. Of course I'll also be turning off notifications and no I don't want to do multiplayer the first night. :P

Same here. Gotta remind my friends to do the same when we play system link later that week (turning off Achievement notices).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    yeah got the 14th off so once i get back from the midnight launch i can play long into the night
    i can see myself doing co-op if people are online and willing but i doubt many will be. also first thing after i finish the game i'm gonna start working on my new map.

Local H Jay on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So in regards to Spartan-IIIs
    has their ability compared to the Spartan-IIs been established? I know they're supposed to be the next generation of Spartans, but they're also deliberately cheaper. Obviously they're superior to the average human soldier, but they seem much less capable against Elites than the Master Chief, even just in terms of shield strength.

Also, the Spartans from Ghosts of Onyx didn't even have full Spartan armor, just a cut-down stealthy scout setup. So is Noble 6 comprised of some secret survivors from Onyx re-trained and equipped with full Spartan armor or are they supposed to be a separately-trained group of Spartan IIIs?

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited August 2010
    has their ability compared to the Spartan-IIs been established? I know they're supposed to be the next generation of Spartans, but they're also deliberately cheaper. Obviously they're superior to the average human soldier, but they seem much less capable against Elites than the Master Chief, even just in terms of shield strength.

Also, the Spartans from Ghosts of Onyx didn't even have full Spartan armor, just a cut-down stealthy scout setup. So is Noble 6 comprised of some secret survivors from Onyx re-trained and equipped with full Spartan armor or are they supposed to be a separately-trained group of Spartan IIIs?

Well...
    Jorge is a S-2 so you can see the difference in physical size. As for the Ghosts of Onyx S-3s verses Noble Team... well, who knows. Bungie/343 Industries has final say on cannon between media.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    hey Kor I ca't save film or screenshots of your "skyjack" anyone else have any luck?

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
    edited August 2010
    A "cannon" is what you shoot cannon balls out of.

"Canon" is what is true and valid.

DarkPrimus on
    edited August 2010
    sorry. Always get those two mixed up. Stupid extra letter.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • dinoarusdinoarus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I remember Onyx taking place after Reach, so it's a different group.

Noble Team (minus Jorge) are S-IIIs, but they wear full Spartan armor and not crappy SPI stealth suits. Their equipment is probably equal to an S-2, but in terms of augmentations they should be weaker.

dinoarus on
    Steam/XBL: OGSTudbone
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    S-III's
    I think their augmentations are roughly on par (but perhaps they didn't get as many of them) and even safer, due to the time allowed to refine the processes. So there are fewer horrible mutilations, at least! IIRC from Onyx/FoR, a majority of the huge cost was the suit, "as much as an armored platoon/company" or something.

Arrath on
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Well...
    Jorge is a S-2 so you can see the difference in physical size. As for the Ghosts of Onyx S-3s verses Noble Team... well, who knows. Bungie/343 Industries has final say on cannon between media.
    Ah, I really didn't know that. Damn, the Spartan-IIs are really huge. I always knew they were big but you never really see the comparison against normal humans. Jorge makes the newer Spartans look almost normal in comparison to his gigantitude.

So then what kind of experience the Reach S-3s have with the Covenant? They've all obviously seen some major combat, but against human rebels or have they been pitched solely against the Covenant?

At any rate, using the S-3s is a good loophole to allow for other Spartans aside from the original gang. Though I suppose not much of a loophole since they're completely unmentioned in Halo 3/ODST and a resource like that wouldn't stay buried when Earth is getting blasted.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited August 2010

Well...
    Ah, I really didn't know that. Damn, the Spartan-IIs are really huge. I always knew they were big but you never really see the comparison against normal humans. Jorge makes the newer Spartans look almost normal in comparison to his gigantitude.

So then what kind of experience the Reach S-3s have with the Covenant? They've all obviously seen some major combat, but against human rebels or have they been pitched solely against the Covenant?

At any rate, using the S-3s is a good loophole to allow for other Spartans aside from the original gang. Though I suppose not much of a loophole since they're completely unmentioned in Halo 3/ODST and a resource like that wouldn't stay buried when Earth is getting blasted.

What's the time frame between 2 and 3? About a month? That's probably not enough time to pull major ground operations and ship them back home.
    If Ghosts of Onyx is anything to go by, the S3s were sent on suicide missions where they had to succeed such as Convienent munition depots and armor facilities. And usually close to, if not behind enemy lines.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    the timeline is kinda messed up because the events of halo 2 take place over a series of months because of slipspace travel, and IIRC when the Pillar of Autumn leaves for delta halo its september and they arrive in october

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Kor's skyjack:
    Screenshot:
    http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=118473454
    Clip:
    http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=118473871

I was laggy that game though, so the clip features some teleporting warthog at the end. someone else could make a better version.

dinoarus on
    edited August 2010
    You mean Forward onto Dawn, right?
    The Autumn was destroyed with the first Halo

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited August 2010
    I actually mean the In Amber Clad whoops

LookFreeGrenade on
    edited August 2010
    Wait.... so.... Miranda got a new command/ship between 2 and 3?

Dammit, I was looking forward to going to bed before midnight tonight. Now I gotta look it up on the wiki...

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well you have the fact that SIIIs are intended to be suicide troops, with a high turnover rate, that are kept completely secret. As after the SIIs going public sending them on suicide missions would tank morale. Though yeah, by the point earth got invaded you wouldn't think that would be much of an issue anymore.

Edit: Also on the quality of the upgrades.
    The SIIIs are IIRC superior in every facet, and they have a couple more. However, they have a much laxer and less ideal selection of candidates who presumeably would be less physically and mentally suited for the upgrades or whatever. See for example the way that Jorge just outsizes them by several degrees, yet there's no indication of growth hormones or etc, at least to my knowledge.

Leitner on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    yeah got the 14th off so once i get back from the midnight launch i can play long into the night
    i can see myself doing co-op if people are online and willing but i doubt many will be. also first thing after i finish the game i'm gonna start working on my new map.

Are you going legendary run first? If so count me in.

joshgotro on
    edited August 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    Well you have the fact that SIIIs are intended to be suicide troops, with a high turnover rate, that are kept completely secret. As after the SIIs going public sending them on suicide missions would tank morale. Though yeah, by the point earth got invaded you wouldn't think that would be much of an issue anymore.
    Mostly I just want to know about the possibility of Spartans in the Halo universe post-Covenant Wat. Obviously the Chief is still floating around out there, but I like the idea of old Spartans being around to help humanity deal with the future threats presented by the remaining enemy races. Though I imagine that in keeping with the secret tradition of secrets kept by ONI, the end of the Covenant War would by no means mean ONI would end the Spartan program entirely.
    Also, this wait is starting to wear on me. Halo is really the only series which reliably does that to me for both multiplayer and singleplayer and holy crap is Reach stepping up on both accounts.

Microsoft had better realize that the quality of the Halo series is inextricably linked to its popularity. Too bad there's really no way for Microsoft to retain O'Donnell for whatever new Halo dev group they put together. Having another Halo game without his music will be... weird.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited August 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    Mostly I just want to know about the possibility of Spartans in the Halo universe post-Covenant Wat. Obviously the Chief is still floating around out there, but I like the idea of old Spartans being around to help humanity deal with the future threats presented by the remaining enemy races. Though I imagine that in keeping with the secret tradition of secrets kept by ONI, the end of the Covenant War would by no means mean ONI would end the Spartan program entirely.
    Also, this wait is starting to wear on me. Halo is really the only series which reliably does that to me for both multiplayer and singleplayer and holy crap is Reach stepping up on both accounts.

Microsoft had better realize that the quality of the Halo series is inextricably linked to its popularity. Too bad there's really no way for Microsoft to retain O'Donnell for whatever new Halo dev group they put together. Having another Halo game without his music will be... weird.
    Well the Spartan program started way before contact with the Covenant (to deal with separatists), so I doubt it would be shut down after the Covenant war. Probably scaled down a little since there's less of a threat.

dinoarus on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    joshgotro wrote: »

Are you going legendary run first? If so count me in.

if we got 4 i'd consider it but other than that i usually do heroic first time.

Local H Jay on
    edited August 2010
    1282026546344.jpg

>the Halo thread turns to canon discussion
    >mfw

I don't know if the SPARTAN program would be allowed, at least publicly, to exist after the war. It's highly immoral, and even if the public could acknowledge how invaluable the SPARTANs were in both the insurrection and the war, something like that would never get real support.

Or maybe it'd get overwhelming support, and people would try to submit their kids to it.

Who knows, really?

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2010
    the spartan III program would probably get some real dirty looks, but I think the spartan IIs would still earn some respect thanks to the notoriety Master Chief got in the public and military

LookFreeGrenade on
    edited August 2010
    Considering that the progression of the Spartan program was towards far less destructive augmentation, I could see the fiction moving in the direction of particularly gifted soldiers volunteering to be augmented to be new Spartans with more newer, more user-friendly armor. Being able to produce soldiers on a large scale with even half ability of the original S-IIs at a much reduced cost would be a big, big force multiplier. Less than a hundred full S-IIs wreaked wholly damage against the Covenant wholly disproportionate to their numbers. Having hundreds or thousands of soldiers at even half that effectiveness would be pretty nasty.

Also, I doubt the actual origins of the S-III program were ever released. Just as easy to tell everyone the S-IIIs are a secret group of spec-ops soldiers rather than talk about the nasty bit about kidnapping children for a life of warfare.

Regardless, I hold out hope for seeing hundreds of S-IVs dropping onto the Brute homeworld putting them at the ass-end of an ass-kicking.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • DimosarDimosar I am the Brain Genius Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, at least with the S-III's they weren't strictly kidnapping the children, just... adopting them? I mean they were war orphans after all.
    To me, the big moral question marks regarding the Spartan process have always been:

1. Augmentation 'washouts' (and by 'washout', of course, I mean 'horrible disfigurement')
    2. Holy shit kidnapping children what the fuck, guys.

But really, no one likes the S-III's because Ackerson < Halsey.

Dimosar on
  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    YardGnome on
  • jimbo034jimbo034 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Looks like the us marketing team is getting lazy too. They really couldn't have thought of something other than the war memorial theme for their marketing campaign?

jimbo034 on
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    After a little digging some people found links to some videos... I'm guessing these will be a time released thing. The only one they could watch is the first one... here is a youtube link. Side note: It's 1:17 in length.

This is going to be a long month.

Ratsult2 on
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    After a little digging some people found links to some videos... I'm guessing these will be a time released thing. The only one they could watch is the first one... here is a youtube link. Side note: It's 1:17 in length.

This is going to be a long month.

lucky french :P

Dox the PI on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=A_Spartan_Will_Rise

don't watch if you want to stay completely dark on campaign

don't click if you want to not know about a character showing up
    Holy shit, Bungie finally made an in-game model for Dr Halsey, and she's not 15 years old.

FyreWulff on