As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Paradox Succession Game: Charlemagne's Heirs! The Thread Lives!

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Remember, France had earlier conquered the city. And failed to hold it.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We have a lot of Duchy titles that could be earning us prestige. Though obviously keep a couple for the kids.

I wasn't really paying to much attention to the titles I could give out towards the end of my era. I had plenty of prestige and piety.

One thing that I would recommend to young Serlo is to keep at least one Duke title, so that you can give it to your heir.

One of the biggest problems with inheriting a new ruler is vassal loyalty. If your heir has built up a good amount of prestige that will help a lot.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure if it's a good idea to give away titles to heirs or not. I prefer keeping them close. In my current game, I had groomed my heir well, and he was a golden god of manliness. I gave him a duchy to let him rule a little, and he declared independence. They're insane.

PolloDiablo on
    edited August 2010
    The prestige is vitally important.

enlightenedbum on
  • starkillerstarkiller Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You just get the heir back later, so no big deal. I once had a nephew go off on me and start a civil war. To keep alive I surrendered. As the son I started amassing forces to take back the realm. Then his cousin (the old nephew) died of pneumonia. Kingdom restored.

starkiller on
  • ZedarZedar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    An inauspicious beginning - 1163 - 1168

Serlo begins his reign with some reorganization and diplomatic endeavours. His personal demesne has grown unmanagably large, so he splits off some provinces and creates a new Duke of Flanders to oversee them.

11630613.png

Proving that the pen is indeed mightier than the sword, Serlo expands his realm peacefully, bringing some new vassals into the fold of great Burgundy.

116306vassals

That is not to say that this is an entirely peaceful era. Some of his subjects mistake weak health for a weak will, and try to strike out on their own. They must be shown the error of their ways.

First Narbonne tries to leave.

Then in September, Foggia

116309.png

Then in December Brittany leaves too.

116312.png

All are brought back in the fold retaining their counties. The title of Duke of Brittany, however, is bestowed upon the ever loyal Count of Leon.

After the flurry of rebellions, peace settles across the realm for the time being. The people rejoice when a miracle worker lifts the illness which has afflicted their King. Hopefully his will be a long and prosperous reign.

116403.png

Godfrey, heir to Burgundy is fostered with the King of England in a attempt to establish closer bonds with our norhtern neighbour.

116408.png

Things proceed uneventfully until heresy rears its ugly head in the Duchy of Holland. This obviously needs to be stamped out, and fast.

116509.png

Unfortunately they immediately swear loyalty to the King of Poland, who clearly harbours heretical tendencies himself. Nevertheless, Holland rightfully belongs to the Burgundian crown, so war is declared in December.

116512.png

Silesia has no stomach for this conflict and offers a peace as soon as it can. Holland puts up little resistance and is easily subdued.

Poland shows its true heretical nature by burning down our newly build church in Alexandria. The war with Poland is fought entirely within our respective Egyptian holdings, with the mainland provinces being nowhere near each other.

116606.png

Some of our treachorous vassals take the Polish war as an opportunity to declare independence, hoping we will be too busy to strike back. Their hopes are in vain, and their army quickly shattered. They are recalcitrant however about actually accepting a peace deal.

116705.png

All these heretics and traitors understandably upset Serlo's younger son, but he needs to learn the ways of the world some time.

116707.png

The Egyptian conflict with Poland drags on with no end in sight. The armies clash again and again, provinces change hand back and forth, but no decisive victories. In the end, Serlo decides to end the fruitless conflict. Heresy can be dealt with after our internal struggles are over.

116802.png

Peace is short lived however. Clearly Godfrey has failed to win over the England king, and Burgundy prepares for a war with our northern neighbour.

116804.png

So far Serlo's entire reign has consisted of stamping our rebellions as they flare up everywhere, leaving little time for advancing the Burgundian cause in the world. Apart from the new English war the Duchy of Alsace is still independent though fully occupied by our armies, but are unwilling to accept a peace deal at the moment.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    So is there a young king in waiting and was he one of the Duchies? Or at least a county? Please say so.

starkiller on
    edited August 2010
    The heir is still only about 9 or so, too early to give him a duchy. I'll probably give him Luxembourg when the time comes.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Actually ideally I'll take the rest of Normandy (which has split off england to become independent counties) and make him Duke of Normandy.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    1168 - 1175

The Duke of Alcase finally realizes his cause is lost, and accepts to become our vassal again.

alsace.png

The war again England goes our way from the start, with the English losing battle after battle, and the Burgundian forces occupying their province of Anjou.

englvic1.png
    englvic2.png
    englvic3.png

By October the English have come to realise that we are not an easy target, and give up the province of Anjou in exchange for peace.

anjou.png

Bouyed by his victories, Serlo "discovers" that he has claims to the province of Eu, and proceeds to retake his supposedly ancestral lands. The country of Eu joins the Kingdom of Burgundy.

eu1.png
    eu2.png

Plans to create a Duchy of Normandy are thwarted. I'm not sure the current holder of the title knows where Normandy is.

normandy.png

The Norman Duchy will have to wait for a more auspicious time. The state of the empire as it stands:

burgundy1169.png

As word of our greatness spreads, more flock to join our mighty kingdom.

bourges.png

One of our Dukes decides to try for independence, but is rapidly crushed, and his duchy removed from him as a punishment. Serlo holds onto the title for the time being.

flanders.png
    flanders2.png

The bishop of Mar asks for our support in his papal aspirations, which we reluctantly grant. 500 is a lot of money, but being papal controller is priceless.

bishop.png

Fortunately god smiles on our generosity, as we come into a small fortune a month or so later.

money.png

Wars aside, our efforts in fostering the heir, Godfrey to the English court seems to be paying off, as he has befriended the English king. This could bode well for future relations.

friend.png

1171 - 1175

As a new year dawns, the pope calls a crusade to capture the holy city of Jerusalem, currently held by the Kingdom of al-Murabitids.

crusade.png

We heed gods call, and a crusading force quickly besieges and captures the holy city.

jerusiege.png
    jerucap.png

Unfortunately the war itself is not so easily concluded, and war rages back and forth across southern Spain as we try to bring the war to some kind of decisive end for the next couple of years.

defeat.png
    cadiz.png
    murcia.png

All is not well at home however, as while the King is crusading in God's name some of his subjects raise rebellion at home, drawing troops and funds away from the holy war.

nantes.png

Going to check up on the state of Godfrey in the English court, I find that at some stage he inherited a title and is currently serving as Count of Narbonne. Unfortunately, he is not all we might want in an heir.

schizo.png

Between the crazy Godfrey and the inbred Geoffrey who is third in line, the house of Vermandois has fallen on hard times. The second son Robert is the only reasonable man among the heirs to the throne. Upon him I bestow the title of Duke of Flanders, while I make Godfrey Duke of Anjou to see how he handles the responsibility. If he goes too far off the tracks we might need to take... steps.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    It really depends if starkiller thinks he can write a schizophrenic well.

enlightenedbum on
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Blue dotting this to follow along. Over the weekend this thread inspired me to finally break down and buy Crusader Kings. I'm terrible!

Looks like you're fairly well set for heirs, but I'm slightly less terrible at EU3, so if you hit a lull at some point and need someone to step in I can do it. Honestly though, I'm happy enough just reading along...

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    edited August 2010
    We've got another 220 years of this silliness. ~11 more players.

enlightenedbum on
    edited August 2010
    1176 - 1180

The crusade was turning out to be an endless drain of resources, with no end in sight.

defeat1.png
    defeat2.png

In the end, the cost was deemed to high and a white peace was concluded with the infidel king. Jerusalem could wait for a more propitious time.

whitepeace.png

The King of Scotland extends his hand in friendship, and we agree to an alliance in the name of national security.

scotland.png

Instability continues at home, as Hainaut rises in rebellion time after time.

hainaut.png
    hainaut2.png

Not all the news is bad though. The kings inbred halfwit nephew dies, saving the realm from any potential of him taking he throne.

inbred.png

The kingdom settles down for an era of peace and consolidation of its holdings. This quickly pays off as national stability increases and all is well in Burgundy.

stab1.png

And eventually Hainut settles down from its rebellious ways.

hainaut3.png

Now that all was calm in the realm, we felt secure enough to recommence reclaiming our national heritage. The province of Arques in particular was an unsightly blemish on our northern coast, and was ripe for union with the mother country. Their loyalty to Sweden was considered but a small problem.

sweden.png

And so it begins. Arques itself is quickly taken, though a swedish invading force is slightly more persistent.

arques1.png
    arques2.png
    arques3.png

Unfortunately as we are involved in our swedish struggle, our scottish ally gets into a war with Poland, which we are honourbound to join them in.

poland.png

Though it seems they have small stomach for dealing with the might of Burgundy, and beg for peace like the cravens we are. I accept, as fighting wars on multiple fronts seems like a bad idea.

polishpeace.png

At this stage the Duchy of Normandy somehow re-establishes itself in their traditional lands, taking a couple of our provinces with them. Also, the Duchy of Holland swears fealty to the King of Italy. These insults will have to wait for a better time before they can be dealt with.

normandy2.png

All this war has taken its toll on Serlo though, and he takes a bad wound in battle.

wound.png
    illness.png

This quickly degenerates, and it is not long before the realm has itself a new king.

death.png

Overall I don't think I left the kingdom much better than I found it, but at least I didn't leave it much worse off either. We're still at war with Sweden and the next king is Schizophrenic, which could make for exciting times.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Could we get a map? I like maps.

enlightenedbum on
    edited August 2010
    Maps:
    England

england.png

Western Europe

west.png

Eastern Europe

east.png

Scotland is doing fairly well for itself. France is deceptively weak, a lot of that blue is actually Sweden.

Do I just pass this save along to Starkiller now?

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
  • RebootReboot Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Woah is that purple blob above the Black Sea the Byzantines?

Reboot on
    edited August 2010
    Yup, PM it to starkiller and let's see what he can do with Godfrey the Mad.

enlightenedbum on
    edited August 2010
    Yeah byzantium is pretty huge, it reaches all the way up to Vologda in Russia and even has a province on the Baltic Sea.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Got the file, I have a meeting tomorrow so I'm heading in for the night but should be able to pick it up tomorrow.

starkiller on
  • LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Reboot wrote: »

The region above the black sea is deceptive. Each territory has a base income. Some territories, such as Ille de France, and Alexandria have a very high base income, whereas other territories, like the ones above the black sea have low base incomes.

What this works out to is that even though you might have every last economic building built, those territories still generate less income and manpower than one of the more populous zones without any economic upgrades.

Honestly the area that we would call Georgia is pretty crappy.

Lowlander on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Of course, Byzantium proper is the second best territory in the game, so it's kind of moot.

enlightenedbum on
  • RebootReboot Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lowlander wrote: »
    Reboot wrote: »

The region above the black sea is deceptive. Each territory has a base income. Some territories, such as Ille de France, and Alexandria have a very high base income, whereas other territories, like the ones above the black sea have low base incomes.

What this works out to is that even though you might have every last economic building built, those territories still generate less income and manpower than one of the more populous zones without any economic upgrades.

Honestly the area that we would call Georgia is pretty crappy.

I know... I'm just amazed that Byzantium is in recognizable shape and seem to have grown a bit when the rest of Europe seems to have imploded. :)

Reboot on
  • TaterskinTaterskin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Apologies if this has been answered. What converted will be used to move from CK to EU3?

I tried using one from the EU3 boards, but I got an error about too many kingdoms to convert (like 150 too many).

Taterskin on
    edited August 2010
    I'm gonna make it up as I go along. It might take some time but save files are fairly easy to manipulate (it's all a big ole .txt file!)

Hopefully one of the various ones will facilitate things though.

enlightenedbum on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I still love this thread. Keep it up! :^:

Captain K on
    edited August 2010
    Not home yet but I did get to glance at the save file. It seems our new king is a Gregarious, Romantic, Schizoid with a burgeoning love for the church and a decent amount of piety already built up. His wife, who at 24 has given him no children has the selfish trait. To that end:

King Godfrey was a noble soul who loved his wife dearly and was fairly well loved by the court on his enthronement despite his mental faults. He was known for writing poetry and doting on his family, especially the younger members since he had no children. Some snatches of verse are still available:
    My wife cold you are to me
    When we could have such glee
    But in the end you will see
    How much you mean to me

I will pine the days away
    Just to make you long to stay
    And if you run and play
    I'll take that crown away

Some say that I'm a bit mad
    Since I was a little lad
    Such saying make me very sad
    And tend to make me act bad

So say only the bestest things
    Brought on dearest angels wings
    And remember those two rings
    That children should bring

Upon rising to the throne he set himself a general policy. The Angel Ansalem who whispered in his ear encouraged him to enter a crusade if he had the chance before he died. His dead father told him that he should correct the faults found in his court and give his younger relatives positions worthy of their blood and the love that he bore to them. He found his fathers mutterings troublesome since his Marshal was technically proficient, a relative, and a known coward.

starkiller on
    edited August 2010
    BTW, I've never taken screen shots before. I tried F11 and didn't get any popup. Does it just save somewhere in some folder?

starkiller on
    edited August 2010
    Yup, it'll be in your CK folder under something obvious. Or if you're in windows 7/Vista it's hidden somewhere horrible in the bowels of your system, but you can do a quick google search for that.

enlightenedbum on
    edited August 2010
    I'm Vista, so could I have a hint as to what I'm looking for?

starkiller on
    edited August 2010
    I think it'll be in My Documents -> Games but I'm not 100% sure. Google is not as quick as I remembered the last time I went hunting for the answer to this question.

enlightenedbum on
    edited August 2010
    Not wanting to nitpick, but you're missing Duke of Anjou from the list of Godfrey's titles on the first page. He already had that title when he inherited.

If Vista is anything like Windows 7, your screenshots could be showing up somewhere like c:\users\[username]\appdata\local\virtualstore\program files\paradox interactive\crusader kings

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    First, I found them, they're in the base CK directory. Second the summary:
    The war with Sweden is going to hell in a hand-basket.

As my first rule of business I up my contributions to the church. While it fits in with the role play I can't risk getting targeted by the Pope, want to get softer madness hits, and hope my country doesn't disintegrate.

My vassals are quick to take advantage of the change in rule, the war, and my madness. Provinces in Africa begin to break free. Then I get hit by real duress and I start bleeding out in France.

And, indeed, it turns out the angels really are talking to King Godfrey:
    11811103.png

This gives me slightly better stats but is still far from optimal. However, I'm thrilled that it fits so well with the character.

Unfortunately I also get hit with a series of events that reduce my economic efficiency. This is a combo of my bishop and my own zealousness. I can't help but feel a chuckle as the moneylenders get thrown out, but my advisers think things are going down the tubes:
    11811111.png

I am disheartened though when the madness slips from purity into scantily hidden murder. It is true that these fellows needed to die, but I would have preferred it to happen on the field of battle:
    11820316.png

When (I think) Nantes goes I fight a brief skirmish in the south of Brittany. I can't allow a vassal to declare war without the realm breaking apart. I'm able to rope Brittany into putting down the invasion. However, I've lost most of my demanse to Sweden by now and things are looking grim. I begin to reluctantly pull vassals into battle. I get a steady hit of drops to stability that I pay heftily to avoid. These will eventually drop my to +1 and leave me without much of a treasury. BTW: who goes to war when their only heir is talking to themselves? Really?
    11820722.png

Negative religious events continue and I'm faced with a hard choice. Unfortunately Mother Church says he must live:
    11820822.png

When my namesake revolts I decide its time to go to sleep for the evening. The voices are just too much:
    11820922.png

starkiller on
    edited August 2010
    Do we have an heir? I hope we have an heir.

And yeah, that's weird, they do seem to be in there.

enlightenedbum on
    edited August 2010
    Ouch, well the crazy king is keeping things interesting at least :) Did the swedish finally land a decent fighting force, or are just you losing all your manpower from vassals defecting?

To embed the images you want to use the link labelled "direct" on the right hand side of the image shack page btw.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Godfrey has a brother who is relatively competent from memory, was serving as Duke of Flanders when I left it.

Zedar on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    I was about to complain about us getting too strong and how we'd have nothing to do in EU3 and beyond. Godfrey is our savior!

enlightenedbum on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Starkiller, you have to get links to the actual images. They are to the right under "Links to share this image:Direct". Like so:
    starkiller wrote: »
    First, I found them, they're in the base CK directory. Second the summary:
    The war with Sweden is going to hell in a hand-basket.

As my first rule of business I up my contributions to the church. While it fits in with the role play I can't risk getting targeted by the Pope, want to get softer madness hits, and hope my country doesn't disintegrate.

My vassals are quick to take advantage of the change in rule, the war, and my madness. Provinces in Africa begin to break free. Then I get hit by real duress and I start bleeding out in France.

And, indeed, it turns out the angels really are talking to King Godfrey:
    11811103.png

This gives me slightly better stats but is still far from optimal. However, I'm thrilled that it fits so well with the character.

Unfortunately I also get hit with a series of events that reduce my economic efficiency. This is a combo of my bishop and my own zealousness. I can't help but feel a chuckle as the moneylenders get thrown out, but my advisers think things are going down the tubes:
    11811111.png

I am disheartened though when the madness slips from purity into scantily hidden murder. It is true that these fellows needed to die, but I would have preferred it to happen on the field of battle:
    11820316.png

When (I think) Nantes goes I fight a brief skirmish in the south of Brittany. I can't allow a vassal to declare war without the realm breaking apart. I'm able to rope Brittany into putting down the invasion. However, I've lost most of my demanse to Sweden by now and things are looking grim. I begin to reluctantly pull vassals into battle. I get a steady hit of drops to stability that I pay heftily to avoid. These will eventually drop my to +1 and leave me without much of a treasury. BTW: who goes to war when their only heir is talking to themselves? Really?
    11820722.png

Negative religious events continue and I'm faced with a hard choice. Unfortunately Mother Church says he must live:
    11820822.png

When my namesake revolts I decide its time to go to sleep for the evening. The voices are just too much:
    11820922.png

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    edited August 2010
    Frankly a good portion of the fault is mine. At one point I let my army go since I had a bizzillion 73-133 or so man armies. I figured I had suffered from attrition leading in (for the most part however it was just small armies). Since the Swedes were a ways off I decided to let them go home and recuperate. And sent in a smaller force of about 4,000 into the Rhineland to capture some of his holdings there. That force got jumped by what must have been vassal musters of about 14k troops. He then went on siege spree before I recovered as my vassals peeled off. I've tried very uneven peace proposals in the hope that he'll just go away. Fighting a war while crazy against a major opponent is not a good thing. I won't be able to play tonight since I'll be on the road but I'll pick up again on Friday. What I may do is muster only in the capital and send myself on a hopeless expedition hoping for a serious wound. I'm not fond of this idea since there is a fairly good quality nephew (I think he was a nephew) in the wings

---HOWEVER---

HE IS THE ONLY BLOODED RELATIVE THAT I SAW IN THE SUCCESSION LIST

I'll double check but that is _not_ good news. CK is by far the hardest of the Paradox games if you don't reload due to real duress.

starkiller on