As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA 9: FRANKIE EDGAR BEST LW IN WORLD, MAYNARD MOST BORING

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    his post brock fight interview was really good, i imagine this would be more of the same

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Old school Carwin used to have a very "pumped up" look to him.

169fh3s.jpg

Now he looks kinda deflated and much softer looking.

28lrhpf.jpg

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So if we ever do a PA throwdown, noone invite Callius
    See, that's my problem with BJJ. "Don't do it, it's against the rules."

Fuck that. There's plenty you can do in that position to fuck their shit up. Though, why you're in that position and where their friends are is a huge fucking issue.

When you said "inside their guard" I assumed you meant inside of their guard while up-top. Which is why I asked, because that's the perfect time to strike.

I have taken some BJJ before. It was really fun, but felt really impractical. My "sensei" got pissed off when I bit his arm and drew blood.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    WTF.

Aside from the whole rules and respect thing, the last thing I would want in a gym is someone else's blood in my mouth. There have been multiple high-profile cases of MMA fighters getting staph infections during training without voluntarily consuming the bodily fluids of their sparring partners.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    hahahahah
    he has a point
    vampires don't really need bjj

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Actually, if vampires knew BJJ they might not get their asses kicked by teenage girls all the time.

buffy_stab.jpg

BubbaT on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Peen wrote: »
    And the best part, for me anyway, is that they're free as free. Dunno if that PPV was an experiment they're not repeating or it was a special case because it was a huge fight but I'm glad they're going back to free cards (if you have VS) for now.

I always thought they were planning to hold some PPV events while maintaining the free cards. I remember people flipping out when the PPV was announced thinking it was the end of free WEC and I was like, there's no way they're going to abandon this entirely.

WEC is by far my favourite organisation. Love the little guys.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Carwin's left bicep is freaking me out... it's so... short.

Man, I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. Now it won't leave my head. ARGH.

Anyway, relating to the new title of the thread: I'm so ready for some WEC action this Wednesday. I mean, have you seen this fucking card?!

Bantamweight Championship bout: Dominick Cruz (c) vs. Joseph Benavidez
    Lightweight bout: Shane Roller vs. Anthony Pettis
    Featherweight bout: Cub Swanson vs. Chad Mendes
    Bantamweight bout: Scott Jorgensen vs. Brad Pickett
    Lightweight bout: Bart Palaszewski vs. Zach Micklewright

And the next one, WEC 51, looks even better. Have you seen THIS FUCKING CARD??!!

Featherweight Championship bout: Jose Aldo (c) vs. Manvel Gamburyan
    Lightweight bout: Jamie Varner vs. Donald Cerrone
    Bantamweight bout: Charlie Valencia vs. Miguel Torres
    Featherweight bout: George Roop vs. Chan Sung Jung
    Featherweight bout: Leonard Garcia vs. Mark Hominick

Seriously. WEC is always bringing it.

That bold and underlined part? So psyched for that.

Fuck and Yes! I'm always down for watching some Korean Zombie.

I wish they would do a WEC ultimate fighter with Bantamweights/Featherweights

EDIT: I'm rewatching Zombie vs. Garcia I still don't know how Zombie lost

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yea, the judges really suck... but now our beloved Zombie is back for REVENGE!

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It looks like they want another Korean Zombie slugfest, judging by Roop's record.

:rotate:

adytum on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I love Roy Nelson trying to elevate his status by talking smacks. Hopefully he is doing so on a treadmil. Some have rolls he has a bakery.
    http://twitter.com/ShaneCarwin

Uh, I know Roy's fat and everything. But maybe the guy who gassed after 3 minutes shouldn't be talking about how the conditioning of a guy who went a full 3 rounds is lacking.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    EDIT: I'm rewatching Zombie vs. Garcia I still don't know how Zombie lost

Many people thought he beat Kanehara also. That's rough for him, losing two controversial decisions to foreign fighters on their home soil.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    BubbaT wrote: »
    I love Roy Nelson trying to elevate his status by talking smacks. Hopefully he is doing so on a treadmil. Some have rolls he has a bakery.

Uh, I know Roy's fat and everything. But maybe the guy who gassed after 3 minutes shouldn't be talking about how the conditioning of a guy who went a full 3 rounds is lacking.

I hope Roy responds with something like, "You're right, maybe I should try taking steroids."

I can't believe Carwin is talking shit about anyone or anything right now.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Maybe he tweeted that in a fit of roid rage.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You know what's even douchier about that Carwin tweet? The only reason he originally got the title shot was because he talked shit about Lesnar after UFC 100. And now suddenly he's all high-and-mighty about guys talking shit to elevate themselves? Come on.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Do they have a match or something? Is everyone now going to try to be Chael Sonnen/Tito Ortiz or some shit and bring the WWE shit back after it nearly killed Brock Lesnar?

GungHo on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    CangoFett wrote: »

Fuck that. There's plenty you can do in that position to fuck their shit up. Though, why you're in that position and where their friends are is a huge fucking issue.

When you said "inside their guard" I assumed you meant inside of their guard while up-top. Which is why I asked, because that's the perfect time to strike.

I have taken some BJJ before. It was really fun, but felt really impractical. My "sensei" got pissed off when I bit his arm and drew blood.

I assume this was a joke, right? If someone bit me during BJJ class I'd either smash his face in or break a limb, whichever was easier. I'd think that'd be the reaction of most people.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    815165 wrote: »

Maybe he tweeted that in a fit of roid rage.

:^:

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    I just saw on InsideMMA that Impact FC hasn't been able to pay its fighters from the events 3 weeks ago..

FEG's worse.
    TATAME called Dream featherweight champion Bibiano Fernandes this morning to know more about his return to the rings, but was surprised by an unbelievable answer. “Dream called me two days ago to offer me a fight at September 21, but I said I won’t fight until they pay me for my last fight (against Joachim Hansen)”, Bibiano told TATAME, revealing that he hasn’t been paid yet for the fight, which took place five months ago in Japan. “I have family, I have a wife and I can’t work without getting paid. I’ll only fight against when they pay me for my last fight”.
    http://www.tatame.com/2010/08/16/Dream-hasnt-paid-Bibiano-after-5-months
    TATAME confirms that Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza still hasn't been paid for his May 2009 DREAM 9 fight with Jason "Mayhem" Miller
    http://www.cagepotato.com/dream-featherweight-champ-bibiano-fernandes-turns-down-september-title-defense-until-promotion-pays-
    It's a little more than eight months since MMA veteran Gary Goodridge fought Gegard Mousasi at FEG's Dynamite!! 2009 New Year's Eve show in Japan. Eight months, and still he hasn't seen a single penny of the money he's owed for that bout, Goodridge told MMA Fighting earlier Wednesday.
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/08/11/gary-goodridge-says-he-still-hasnt-been-paid-for-new-years-eve/
    There have been rumors all summer that Diaz would face "Mach" Sakurai for the DREAM welterweight title during his next trip out there, but Diaz had problems getting paid for his last fight with the promotion against Katsuya Inoue at DREAM 3 on May 11.

He was reportedly owed $100,000 by the Japanese mixed martial arts promotion for the first round technical knockout win over Inoue. He is now clearly skeptical about doing business with them again.

Here's a report posted on GracieFighter.com dating back to August 1:
    "Diaz could be cleared to fight Mach Sakurai in Dream at the end of September. Diaz has wanted to fight Sakurai for the Dream Champioship Belt, but a stumbling block to this fight has been that as of now Dream has still not paid him a cent for the last fight he participated in for their organization almost 3 months ago."

Obviously the "Mach" fight didn't happen in September, but isn't completely out of the question for a future DREAM event now that they finally coughed up the money ... even if it was five months late.
    http://www.mmamania.com/2008/10/15/nick-diaz-gets-paid-by-dream-and-agrees-to-fight-in-japan/

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think Mayhem also complained that FEG didn't pay him when he was on Joe Rogan's podcast.

815165 on
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Disgusting.

Also, Carwin needs to learn when to shut the fuck up. I hate to say it, but the man's walking on thin ice.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Did Shane Carwin piss in everyone's cereal this morning?

adytum on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yes

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    man it wasn't so long ago that carwin was a huge face
    what happened, why is he a dick now
    did lesnar stop being an ass take away from carwin's face-itude?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    He called Roy a fat ass on Twitter like a little bitch.

GungHo on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    CangoFett wrote: »

Kind of misses the point. Yes, in real life if you need to it wouldn't be a bad idea to push your thumb through the eye of the guy trying to hurt you. In a BJJ class, the sensei isn't trying to hurt you per se.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    adytum wrote: »
    Did Shane Carwin piss in everyone's cereal this morning?
    Yes, he pissed hot.

815165 on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GungHo wrote: »

ROY IS A FAT ASS.

And Let's stop pretending Roy didn't gas like crazy in his fight with JDS. And let's stop pretending (please) that Roy wouldn't be better off losing all of that body fat. You're not in shape when you look like that.

EDIT: Carwin's still a dick, but the Roy man-love in here is nuts.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Both Roy and JDS were badly gassed in rounds 2 and 3. Neither of them put on an impressive fight.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think the point is that in the week you've been levelled with some pretty hefty steroid accusations, it's a bad time to start insulting people publicly.

It's a worse idea to start insulting people's cardio publicly, when you gassed out in one round in your last fight.

edit: glass houses and stones and all that stuff

815165 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, but Carwin gassed out spectacularly.

Roy Nelson and JDS gassed out and then had a slap fight for 10 minutes.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

ROY IS A FAT ASS.

And Let's stop pretending Roy didn't gas like crazy in his fight with JDS. And let's stop pretending (please) that Roy wouldn't be better off losing all of that body fat. You're not in shape when you look like that.

What Roy man-love? One person commented that Roy went all three rounds against JDS. The other comments were about how stupid it was for Carwin to be talking shit right now.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There's been some pretty serious Roy love before, he could be remembering that. Carwin's never struck me as especially clever or funny, he was probably just trying to make a joke and didn't realize that it would bomb spectacularly.

Peen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    the roy lovin came from his performance on TUF

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2010

ROY IS A FAT ASS.

I posted before about how carrying extra fat might be better cardio-wise than carrying extra muscle, since fat doesn't tire or need oxygen. Granted having nothing instead of extra fat would be even better for cardio, but then Roy wouldn't have as much weight to hold guys down with.

And going a full 3 rounds while tired is still better than falling asleep after 3 minutes like Carwin did. Besides, it's not like Roy called out Carwin's cardio.

What Roy did do that appears to have pissed Carwin off was to mention the steroid story, and talk about how it was going essentially uncovered by the MMA press (at the time, it's since received increased coverage though hardly to the degree of a Barry Bonds or Lance Armstrong).
    Just woke up and was reading the mma news websites and only one had real news ufc champ shane carwin steroids court case.
    1:09 PM Aug 14th via Facebook
    http://twitter.com/roynelsonmma

To which Carwin's response was "Yeah well you're fat!"

Even though Roy's post would seem to be more, or at least as much, of an indictment on MMA journalism than Carwin.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Roy Nelson wrote:
    I am surprised that athletes in mma do steroids ;( that explains body types
    Big Country is funny.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/08/16/the-mma-hour-live-with-paul-heyman-in-studio/

Ariel Kelwani spent 90 minutes interviewing Paul Heyman. It's an interesting discussion about the business of MMA, especially if you're a current or former pro wrestling fan.

There were some fascinating tidbits. Heyman was in the room when Vince McMahon gave Spike the go-ahead on allowing TUF to air following Monday Night Raw. Heyman says he tried to tell Vince it was a bad idea, but Vince just wasn't concerned about the UFC.

Heyman has also nearly gotten into the MMA business a couple times. He was close to joining in on the ground floor of the IFL, but he backed off when they were insistent on using a ring, which he thinks makes it impossible to succeed in MMA in the US.

He was also part of a group that was close to buying Strikeforce a couple years ago, but backed out when the deal started going down differently than planned and it looked like Scott Coker would get burned.

All in all, I found it all very interesting.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    I don't know why you keep reposting old news.

Roy is awesome. Carwin is a overhyped possibly roided hack.
    The Roy love is from his TUF days and how he carries himself. He seems like a respectable guy, completely unlike Carwin.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/08/16/the-mma-hour-live-with-paul-heyman-in-studio/

Ariel Kelwani spent 90 minutes interviewing Paul Heyman. It's an interesting discussion about the business of MMA, especially if you're a current or former pro wrestling fan.

There were some fascinating tidbits. Heyman was in the room when Vince McMahon gave Spike the go-ahead on allowing TUF to air following Monday Night Raw. Heyman says he tried to tell Vince it was a bad idea, but Vince just wasn't concerned about the UFC.

Heyman has also nearly gotten into the MMA business a couple times. He was close to joining in on the ground floor of the IFL, but he backed off when they were insistent on using a ring, which he thinks makes it impossible to succeed in MMA in the US.

He was also part of a group that was close to buying Strikeforce a couple years ago, but backed out when the deal started going down differently than planned and it looked like Scott Coker would get burned.

i'm in the middle of this and paul heyman really is a fascinating dude
    also the animated "MMA" backdrop is fucking annoying
    jesus, someone actually called in to troll and say that brock lesnar ruined mma? really? heyman and helwani handled that well but he should really screen questions better next time
    hahahhah helwani can't read numbers
    also, I would totally watch a fight with dog the bounty hunter vs BJJ convict

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure that I agree with him about the cage. Is that really why he thinks the IFL didn't catch on?

Yougottawanna on