As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Blood Bowl - Now with Dark Elves on Steam $36

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I haven't played this game in a super long time but did they ever fix the in game league system?

Inquisitor on
  • ZoonpZoonp Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Iblis wrote: »
    I'm rather torn on this myself. On one hand this seems like a gigantic middlefinger to me for taking a chance and buying the game for fifty bucks from the random ass Digital Download service they originally put it up on. ...Actually it feels like that on both hands, but having all the teams would be awesome.

I suppose I'll wait and see how they do this, but at the moment I'm probably not going to pick it up. They effectively sold me an unfinished game (in terms of rules implementations and such), made it a pain in the ass to download, and as opposed to really fixing the game's problems they just started working on a new version to sell.

Not to mention we were told awhile back that we were getting Undead soon and they seem to have effectively ditched that idea to shove them into this version of the game instead.

Though maybe they'll surprise us and still give us the undead, fix some of the problems, and sell this version at a reduced price to those who bought the original game.

Most sequels add very little new content. The legendary edition adds 12 more races + lots of other improvements so I wouldn't call it a rip-off or anything like that. It's definately better deal than Left 4 Dead 2.

Zoonp on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zoonp wrote: »
    I'm rather torn on this myself. On one hand this seems like a gigantic middlefinger to me for taking a chance and buying the game for fifty bucks from the random ass Digital Download service they originally put it up on. ...Actually it feels like that on both hands, but having all the teams would be awesome.

I suppose I'll wait and see how they do this, but at the moment I'm probably not going to pick it up. They effectively sold me an unfinished game (in terms of rules implementations and such), made it a pain in the ass to download, and as opposed to really fixing the game's problems they just started working on a new version to sell.

Not to mention we were told awhile back that we were getting Undead soon and they seem to have effectively ditched that idea to shove them into this version of the game instead.

Though maybe they'll surprise us and still give us the undead, fix some of the problems, and sell this version at a reduced price to those who bought the original game.

Most sequels add very little new content. The legendary edition adds 12 more races + lots of other improvements so I wouldn't call it a rip-off or anything like that. It's definately better deal than Left 4 Dead 2.

The difference here is that it was always implied that early buyers would be receiving more content. We bought into it so that the developers could continue to develop new material, and the implication was there that we'd have access to it. Instead, they just let our version die unfinished and make a new version.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Eh, they delivered a pretty great game all said and done. Though I never did do much multi as you can spend months just playing through the single player campaign and at least there you can not feel at all bad about cheesing the computer.

Dark_Side on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Zoonp wrote: »

The difference here is that it was always implied that early buyers would be receiving more content. We bought into it so that the developers could continue to develop new material, and the implication was there that we'd have access to it. Instead, they just let our version die unfinished and make a new version.

Yes, this was definitely an investment model. We come in on the ground floor of an indie retail release and we get support as the product develops. This is Mount & Blade's model (I bought the full game for $9.99 four years ago), this is what Stardock has done for Sins of a Solar Empire & Elemental (their new MoM game in beta) - if you pre-order at full price, you get full beta testing access and the full game on release. In this case, we paid to beta their product. For both this and L4D2, I think people didn't object to paying some for the new content, but the pricing model and approach left them feeling jilted. One obvious way to address this issue is to sell the game at a discount to prior owners. (I don't know why valve didn't offer the L4D2 content for $20 to L4D1 owners, except for sheer greed.)

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I finally picked up a copy of the game and started playing it. I have since discovered that the words 'Blood Bowl' are not actually in English. They look like they're in English, but they're not. It's just a coincidence.

I don't know what the language actually is, but I'm pretty sure I nailed the translation. It means 'You have the shittiest luck and we're going to prove it for every match. Sucker!'

So I understand why they had to pick a smaller title...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • YannYann Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I finally picked up a copy of the game and started playing it. I have since discovered that the words 'Blood Bowl' are not actually in English. They look like they're in English, but they're not. It's just a coincidence.

I don't know what the language actually is, but I'm pretty sure I nailed the translation. It means 'You have the shittiest luck and we're going to prove it for every match. Sucker!'

:lol:

I know the feeling. Somehow those odds seem so much more personal when it's dice being rolled. And given that there is a fuckload of dice being rolled each game, you will always fail a bunch of "everything but a one" rolls.

Yann on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yann wrote: »

I know the feeling. Somehow those odds seem so much more personal when it's dice being rolled. And given that there is a fuckload of dice being rolled each game, you will always fail a bunch of "everything but a one" rolls.

I'm not even sure if I suck because I'm out of practice (or just plain bad at it) or if it's just a constant stream of 'Attacker Down' or Critical Failures. (And that damnable Ogre fails team re-rolls as a Loner like 95% of the time. Bastard...)

This happened last night:

End of the game, turn 14 or 15. I need a touchdown to draw against a Skaven team. They kick the ball after their touchdown and it sails beyond my deep back Thrower. Anyway, after shifting my guys around (including the ability to give them one extra square at the kick off) I send the Sure Hands, level 3 Thrower back to pick up the ball and chuck it to my Catcher to at least move the ball toward midfield for a chance.

The fucker can't pick up the ball...

Next turn, since my guys are still in position (and the Skaven team failed a tackle zone dodge on their second move) I figure to move the Thrower one square to pick up the ball and then move further up field to increase the odds on a successful pass.

Did I mention the ball now sits on the 'goal line'?

The fucker can't pick up the ball...

So the only successful Skaven player in my backfield runs to the ball and picks it up right in the end zone. Nice hands ya prick...

I think I'd be less frustrated if I could at least see the dice rolls instead of a brief glimpse at the log window. I'd still insist that the confirmation bias of the terrible luck was still terrible luck. But at least I could see it. Still, half the time the opposition is constantly knocking down and stunning my players when all my guys can do is look like feebs punching a brick wall.

It also sucks going up against a lizardman team with five Saurus'. Fuck that noise.

For all that, it's still Blood Bowl and I'm fucking thrilled to play it after all these years. Now, somebody needs to make RoboRally so I can complete my shallow life.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yann wrote: »

An easy solution it to not play as the goblins. Seeing as how I'm used to losing in everything I do, they're a natural fit for me.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    oh wow, hello thread.

I need to install this on my laptop so I have more incentive to play instead of having to sit at the desk to play it. It sure is a pain in the ass though I guess I'll have to burn disks of the crap I downloaded it install that way. I guess I could make a virtual drive across the network but that still is a pain.

To this day I'm still suprised we couldn't get a successful league going on around here.

troublebrewing on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This is half price on steam

Should I buy it

can the steam version play with not-steam copies

INeedNoSalt on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

Should I buy it

Well, on the one hand it's an enjoyable rendition of a good game, and worth the price. So far as I know, steam games can always play with non-steam copies.

On the other hand, I think there's a new edition coming out in the fall with a bunch of the extra races we don't have yet. You should probably look for more info on that before making a decision.

Ketar on
  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    There are also some bugs in the game that will never be fixed, some really annoying exploits in the online community, and terrible loading times.

I play it fairly often and I enjoy it, I have probably gotten more than 20 bucks worth of fun out of it. But if this is a positive recommendation, it's a lukewarm one.'

If you just want to play blood bowl online you should probably look into fumbbl.

Lykouragh on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Should I buy it

This edition has a limited number of races, though they did add in the Dark Elves along the way, and they're all that really matter. The Legendary Edition will be coming out sometime in fall, including a bunch of the races that are currently missing, so it might be worthwhile to wait for that.

On the other hand, half price is half price. You'll encounter a ton of dicks online, but it's online gaming, so you should be used to that. The single player game is rife with bad AI, but there are some worthwhile mods that help that a lot (check out the New Wave mod).

The computer is notably bad at picking skills. The most egregious example I've seen is (more than once) a Deathroller with Sure Hands. And, yes, the AI tried to use him to pick up the ball. Sometimes multiple times a game.

I'd grab it for cheap, and then if you want the full array of races you can wait until the LE goes on sale. I figure there will have to be a Christmas sale on it (though don't quote me on that if I'm wrong).

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
    edited June 2010
    Actually, scratch what I just said. Looks like the teams from the Legendary Edition won't be compatible with the current edition. From the FAQ on their forum: "Players will be together on the lobby, they will be able to see and talk to each other, but they will not be able to play against each other."

Also it looks like the LE will be based around the LRB6.

With that in mind it's probably best to wait.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I was thining about getting Bloodbowl during the Steam sale but once I found out about the Legendary edition I just decided to wait instead.

Silpheed on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    We should do another Tourney in anticipation of the new pack, those of us who bought the game anyway. Even if we never finish these Penny Cup tournaments they're a load of fun to play in.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    edited July 2010
    OK, so I recently started playing again after a long absence. Went online. Tried the new matchmaking thing with a brand new, 1000 Dark Elf team. Tried it 7 times, didn't match once. I tried challenging several teams, no response. A guy I was chattting with said that I didn't even show up when he searched for me.

Now, I know I exist. So I'm not sure what's up. Does the matchmaking work?

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I bought this game, I'll need to redownload it and install it again. I feel ripped about the LE version though.

nstf on
  • DebtMonkeyDebtMonkey Registered User new member
    edited July 2010
    Hey Guys, just picked up a copy of Blood Bowl during the steam sale. After playing a few matches against the computer, I was really hoping to indulge in some online play. I figured it would be more polite to post before I joined the group. So, "Hi!".

DebtMonkey on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, I just found out that the Legendary Edition isn't going to have Chaos Dwarfs, though they might be introduced "later"

Am super pissed.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    edited August 2010
    Well, I just found out that the Legendary Edition isn't going to have Chaos Dwarfs, though they might be introduced "later"

Am super pissed.

They will be in the Ultra-Megazor Edition, which you will be able to buy for $60 next year. It will not be compatible with the legendary Edition.

Darkewolfe on
    edited August 2010
    So here's something that's been bugging me: Has anybody played against a team of their own race without having selected it?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So this is $10 this weekend on Steam so I had to pick it up. I have the original but can't really get into it, mainly because of the interface, so hopefully this one will be different. I do love turn-based games.

Sir Carcass on
  • AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Got the Dark Elf Edition for ten bucks, installing it right now. Sucks that because I'm in WA I have to pay tax, but I blame that on stupid state laws. Oh, turns out me buying games I download through the internet has zero impact on the road system you fucks!

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Once I got the hang of the game, it's been pretty cool. Almost done with the first area.

I was poking around the save file with a hex editor and noticed it's an sqlite database. You can use something like this to edit it.

Sir Carcass on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So, if I get this version will I still have to pay full price for the legendary edition?

Still, $10 is a good deal...

Inquisitor on
  • InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It will be a stand alone game so yes, they haven't said anything about cutting some slack for DE owners. Also I've never heard of a developer doing this so I don't expect it happening.

I love this game in small doses, 10 dollars is a good price but I couldn't recommend it at 40 (which is what I payed). There just isn't enough variety there and with legendary edition right around the corner I would just wait. But like you just said 10 dollars is a fair price. Good amount of teams, I haven't logged on in forever but I'm guessing online is pretty dead. But still single player can be a blast and blitz mode is pretty well done in my opinion.

EDIT: Also this game comes with SecuROM, I'm not sure if they ever mention this on the store page but having this program has made a lot of people angry (on steam forums). I don't think it's a big deal but just FYI.

EDIT2: And PA had a league or something going on when this first came out, maybe if enough people get interested in this we can start another one.

Inkyblots on
  • npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Man, I should not have bought this. It's as addicting to me as the table top game. Augh.

Also, never give your players names of people you know. I named them after certain fellow PA forum people and now I resent some of their poor performance. Had a Beastman get KO'd for three, THREE, chances to stand back up... by a SKINK. Dammit.

npc.EXE on
    edited September 2010
    Say, sorry for the double post with this thread being so dead but... anyone interested in a PA tourney? I'm thinking about starting one up but I'd like to know how many people would be interested first.

npc.EXE on
  • ButtonsButtons Dolt SweedeelandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just checked out the blood bowl website and came across this news, thought I would share.

http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/index.php?rub=news-info&id=189

Good news for us early adopters, looking in to the forums they say Legendary edition should retail at around $40 before applying this 30%, this has just put this from a no purchase to a definite in my book(even if it will probably see a mark up when converted to £).

Looks like all you need is your player key so as long as you get one of these from steam then the deal should work for steam owners, although they probably won't be able to download Legendary through steam on this offer.

Buttons on
    edited September 2010
    OH I'm excited. So very very excited. Pro Elves guys. Those plus Amazons. Oh and undead. Augh, so excited.

npc.EXE on
  • InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That's really nice to hear, I might actually consider buying LE now if they can get all the bugs from Dark Elves worked out of it.

Inkyblots on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Inkyblots wrote: »
    That's really nice to hear, I might actually consider buying LE now if they can get all the bugs from Dark Elves worked out of it.

It's cheap on impulse this weekend.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • TalonSETalonSE Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    It's also cheap at GoGamer ($7.89 shipped) and Amazon ($6.83 + shipping).

TalonSE on
    edited September 2010
    Do any of you still play? I need some people to play with and there are some prizes involved that would make nice early deposits on a copy of the LE.

npc.EXE on
    edited October 2010
    Played a game where the opponent conceded - not disconnect cheating but full on conceded - when he'd failed to score a touchdown on the 8th turn of the first half.

Oh internet. Thank you for levelling up my Ogre on the very first match.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• OpaOpa Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I'm definitely up for a PA BB tournament. Set it up and invite me my MP name is
    jensoesterholt

Also, send me a PM in here & and I'll come online. (My time is GMT+1)

Opa on
    edited October 2010
    Will there be any improvements to the campaign, AI or league system with the new game? Any open leagues that somehow prevent boosters, etc.?

Darkewolfe on
    edited October 2010
    My coach name is Mole5000

Alistair Hutton on