As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Enforcers 2007 - Recruiting Closed

PRDPRD Kristin LindsayI am a meat popsicle.Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in PAX Archive
With the new and greatly enlarged venue, we have once again sounded the clarion call for more volunteers. If you think you have what it takes, please considering donning a special black PAX pass this year and becoming one of the Enforcer Army.

What precisely does it take, you might ask? I shall elaborate:
  • You must be 18 or older by PAXtime
  • You must have your travel arrangements & vacation time (if either are applicable) secured
  • You're ready to dig in and help out!

In return for the allegiance of our volunteers, we reward each one with a free pass, enhanced event access, a supremely authoritive staff shirt, snacks, and a wide variety of other secret opportunities (year round!). PAX lasts a weekend, but Enforcer Fraternity endures!

I won't lie, the Enforcers work hard and it might leave a battle scar or two. We are a 300-man raid group, always close to a full wipe. We don't get much sleep, food becomes a distant memory for some, and caffeine plays a larger role than perhaps we should admit to. But late on that Sunday, when the few straggling attendees are out the door and the last truck is finally packed up and out of the loading dock, our stalwart cry of victory has brought many a noble heart to tears.

If the idea of experiencing PAX on a deeper level appeals and you'd like to volunteer, please fill out this application and mail it to me, Kristin "PRD" Lindsay, at klindsay@penny-arcade.com. You can also send any questions you may have about volunteering my way.

The Enforcers have called, will you answer?

PRD on

• b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    it's certainly not something I could rule myself out from, but I need a little bit of time to figure it out. I'm into security and patrolling and stuff like that, so having Enforcer cred under my belt would look good in the future. I was thinking of the media approach like I'd done for the past two years, but the Enforcer route sounds like a whole new pile of fun.

b0wser on
  • PRDPRD Kristin Lindsay I am a meat popsicle.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have provided countless job references for former (and current) Enforcers, we're totally willing to do that for our crew when they bust themselves for us every August.

Also, we pull our Child's Play volunteers from the Enforcers, which looks really sweet on a resume.

PRD on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    As insanely (and unhealthily, i might add), as i'm into PA and PAX, I just don't think I could devote any time, never-the-less 18 overall hours, of my PAX time to enforcing. At only 3 days a year, the time's just far too precious.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • MurderBotMurderBot Registered User new member
    edited March 2007
    sent my application in and I'm all squared away to go. I have all my flight plans arranged and squared away, and I have locations of housing set up too. Just waiting for that faithful e-mail to see if I'll be wearing the black.

MurderBot on
  • JayraeJayrae Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I live in Seattle and I want to volunteer, but I'd like to know a little more about what the Enforcers actually do. I haven't been paying attention at previous PAXes. Any past Enforcers want to give us the inside scoop?

Jayrae on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Keep order in the chaos.
    Do what you are told.
    Stand there and look intimidating.
    Shun the nonbelievers.

shunnnnnnnnnnnnn

:D

eventhough the thread is old and has some outdated info. it still gives a decent summary of what is expected of enforcers.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=5266
    Mostly for on event things, just show up to your assigned shifts and ask the area manager what you are supposed to do and do it to thebest of your ability and you are golden.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
    edited March 2007
    Jayrae wrote: »
    I live in Seattle and I want to volunteer, but I'd like to know a little more about what the Enforcers actually do. I haven't been paying attention at previous PAXes. Any past Enforcers want to give us the inside scoop?

They do everything! Security, ticket sales, running tournaments, crowd control, customer service, set up and strike, loading, event planning, stage hands, ushers, executive assistants (shout out to my man Haikon!), demos, VIP handling, information booth staff, runners, information management, bag stuffing, first aid, PC and console management, press coordination, logistics, department staff (PC, console, table top, handheld, Control, all the theatres, concert hall, Omegathon, Exhibition Hall) ....

Probably other stuff that I can't think of off the top of my head, too. I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say that without the Enforcers, there would be no (and never have been) PAX.

If the sheer variety of tasks seem overwhelming, let me assure you that most Enforcers only work one job, so it's really not that bad. They get the chance when I start the scheduling to let me know what their preferred job is, and I try very hard to get everyone when and where they want to be. It's not always a sure thing with 200-300 volunteers, but I do try.

Oh, and ignore Red, I don't want people standing around looking intimidating. Not frequently, anyways. More likely I want you running and smiling. :P

PRD on
  • StephenB.2006StephenB.2006 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So from the old thread it seems that you'd prefer local enforcers to long distance enforcers. Does this remain the case? Also, about how many enforcers are you hoping for? Could there be 300? Could we possibly enforce in the dark should the attendees blot out the sun? Just asking.

StephenB.2006 on
    An object at rest cannot be stopped!
    edited March 2007
    So from the old thread it seems that you'd prefer local enforcers to long distance enforcers. Does this remain the case? Also, about how many enforcers are you hoping for? Could there be 300? Could we possibly enforce in the dark should the attendees blot out the sun? Just asking.

If by "long distance" you mean that you aren't coming to PAX, then that isn't an option. If you mean you're only going to be in town for PAX weekend, you can definitely volunteer. There are some social aspects you'd probably miss (SAX, our bag stuffing event, is a roller coaster of hilarity and shenanigans... and work), but they aren't mandatory.

PRD on
  • StephenB.2006StephenB.2006 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh, I will be there. I will ride a wobbly unicycle across a tight rope above the flaming pits of hell to be there. Or just take a train. Now it's just a matter of whether or not to volunteer. Thanks!

StephenB.2006 on
    An object at rest cannot be stopped!
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    Train? What is this, the 1800s? We drive while we go to PAX.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Well screw you too, Moe.

:P

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
    edited March 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    We drive while we go to PAX.

we smoke as we shoot the bird!

PRD : I've got my application filled out, but I'm not entirely done securing everything for sending it in. It's got plenty of reading, as so we can establish a fully working relationship. If things seem as flexible as they sound in your descriptions, I see no reason why I won't be applying for the Enforcer staff.

b0wser on
  • QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was going to see if i could become an Omeganaut but this will be more fullfiling in many other ways. I shall sign my weekend away to this cause. I'm a hard worker and think on my feet if a problem happens.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited March 2007
    Plus omeganauts are randomly picked.

Also your feet are going to hate you, I doubt they will be doing much thinking :P

BigRed on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm considering volunteering but have already registered for PAX. I assume that if I volunteer that I would be refunded for my rego, correct?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Druhim wrote: »
    I'm considering volunteering but have already registered for PAX. I assume that if I volunteer that I would be refunded for my rego, correct?

Correct! We don't do it automatically, though. You'd have to follow the refund instructions from Cvent.

PRD on
    edited March 2007
    I've submited my applacation a few days ago, how long dose it take before I would get a responce if I was accepted? I'm just wondering.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited March 2007
    QuickSnap wrote: »
    I've submited my applacation a few days ago, how long dose it take before I would get a responce if I was accepted? I'm just wondering.

a bit, just have paitence.

BigRed on
    edited March 2007
    BigRed wrote: »
    QuickSnap wrote: »

a bit, just have paitence.

It depends how fast I'm going through them, and how busy I am. I try not to take more than a week, but that's not clad in iron.

PRD on
    edited March 2007
    No, I was just wondering but thank you.

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
    edited March 2007
    All pending applications have been reviewed, so you probably heard from me this morning. :)

PRD on
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was wondering how much of the day we would have to work? Are there shifts or do we work the whole time the thing is on? Just wondering because I would like to play some Warhammer at some point.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

edited March 2007
    Shifts are roughly 6 hours. (might be more this year with the slightly longer hours)

You work 1 shift a day.

BigRed on
  • ChizzerChizzer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hrmmmmm....

Chizzer on
  • BSR StashBSR Stash Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I sent in my application but haven't gotten word back yet =(

Edit: Oh wait I just found the e-mail in my crowded inbox ^_^

BSR Stash on
  • omiksemajomiksemaj Registered User new member
    edited April 2007
    Oooh, ooh, pick me! :^:
    *waves hand wildly*

Submitted application a few days ago - would greatly appreciate a reply when your time permits.

omiksemaj on
  • Purple-HatPurple-Hat Registered User new member
    edited May 2007
    I'm really excited to be part of the team. I do have one question: I've heard mention of an "official" Enforcer forum, and that I should make a post there. Is this it?

Purple-Hat on
    Nothing expresses a mother's love like a knit beanie.
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    No, this is the Enforcer thread in the PAX forum. I've only heard rumors of the Enforcer forum, but, to my understanding, it is another subforum that is only accessible by Enforcers.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    No, this is the Enforcer thread in the PAX forum. I've only heard rumors of the Enforcer forum, but, to my understanding, it is another subforum that is only accessible by Enforcers.

Correct.

You should get an email with a link to the Enforcer forum once/if you get approved. :)

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Purple-HatPurple-Hat Registered User new member
    edited May 2007
    Well, that's what I get for not reading my e-mail's thoroughly. Thanks!

Purple-Hat on
    Nothing expresses a mother's love like a knit beanie.
    edited May 2007

Its not on the PA boards. Something different entirely.

BigRed on
    edited May 2007
    Purple-Hat wrote: »
    Well, that's what I get for not reading my e-mail's thoroughly. Thanks!

There was a link and everything. :?

PRD on
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Shifts are roughly 6 hours. (might be more this year with the slightly longer hours)
    You work 1 shift a day.
    Enforcers wishing to work more than their scheduled shift will be able to. What that work will be might be totally different that what they do when on schedule; things tend to come up that we need extra hands for. The details of how the extra work is assigned is beyond the scope of this forum (become an Enforcer to learn more :).

jaberwockynmt on
    --Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
    edited May 2007
    You work 1 shift a day.
    Enforcers wishing to work more than their scheduled shift will be able to. What that work will be might be totally different that what they do when on schedule; things tend to come up that we need extra hands for. The details of how the extra work is assigned is beyond the scope of this forum (become an Enforcer to learn more :).

He wanted to do other stuff so he wanted to know the minimum requirements but yes, working more is fine by everyone if you really want to.

BigRed on
  • GodSinGodSin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    well I just applied to be an enforcer, look forward to hearing back either way :)

GodSin on
  • ZyreZyre Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Is the volunteer staff all filled up? I sent in an enforcer application a few weeks ago and haven't heard a peep, not even a "no thank you we're full up" responce. I'd really like the oppourtunity to help out if there's still room on the staff.

Zyre on
  • TomExMachinaTomExMachina Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    [EDIT]
    Wow I'm accepted!

*smokes raisin doobie, meets Geldemore, gets eaten by a cat, meets Makrykateandashley Olsen, obtains the Magic Amulet of Balthazoo, travels to The Castle Fusilor, rescues Princess Gremulon*

TomExMachina on
  • smessmes Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Are you still looking for stagehands? I've got loads of experience working as one, and in many other roles in theater so I'd be happy to help.

smes on
    edited June 2007
    Our jobs haven't been directly assigned yet, so if you're looking to assist with a certain field like that, it wouldn't be hard to make that known in your application. I don't know what sort of process time PRD's got on them right now, but I'd get it in soon if you haven't already.

b0wser on
This discussion has been closed.