As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nomic [GAME ON]: Kusuguttai's Prop 320 - WAITING 4.41pm

• Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I vote in favor of your mom smelling like poop (also the active proposition)

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Graves wrote: »
    Well then I vote YES on proposition 301.

I vote in favor of the active proposition, if you will
    This is something that needs clarifying.

Earlier, I may have made it look like propositions are numbered. They are not. A number is only assigned when a proposal has been approved. Only when the first NEW RULE is successfully approved will number 301 be assigned.

naporeon on
  • Options
    MarcusMarcus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I vote in favor of the active proposition.

Marcus on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    alright, fine

you really should have thought about this before you started though

Zek on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I vote in favor of the active proposition

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man naporeon, don't you even know the rules for your own game?
    naporeon wrote: »
    103. A rule-change is any of the following: (1) the enactment, repeal, or amendment of a mutable rule; (2) the enactment, repeal, or amendment of an amendment of a mutable rule; or (3) the transmutation of an immutable rule into a mutable rule or vice versa.
    (Note: This definition implies that, at least initially, all new rules are mutable; immutable rules, as long as they are immutable, may not be amended or repealed; mutable rules, as long as they are mutable, may be amended or repealed; any rule of any status may be transmuted; no rule is absolutely immune to change.)

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Garthor wrote: »
    103. A rule-change is any of the following: (1) the enactment, repeal, or amendment of a mutable rule; (2) the enactment, repeal, or amendment of an amendment of a mutable rule; or (3) the transmutation of an immutable rule into a mutable rule or vice versa.
    (Note: This definition implies that, at least initially, all new rules are mutable; immutable rules, as long as they are immutable, may not be amended or repealed; mutable rules, as long as they are mutable, may be amended or repealed; any rule of any status may be transmuted; no rule is absolutely immune to change.)
    No. I was completely unaware of this implication.
    naporeon wrote:
    so what happens when someone is like "I MAKE AN IMMUTABLE RULE THAT I"M THE WINNARRRR!!!!!!!111!!!!!"
    Dude, I understand that you're probably joking here, and that's cool. But if you are genuinely interested in answers to questions like that, read the rules.

First, a rule only becomes a rule when it is approved by vote; people would be unlikely to approve a "i win olol" rule. Second, all rules are mutable upon creation, unless a rule has been enacted that changes that. Third and last, even immutable rules can be changed, although it would take at least two turns to do it; it can be changed from immutable to mutable, and then, once mutable, altered or removed entirely.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Amendment of Active Proposition: The new rule will be considered Mutable, rather than Immutable.

If you would like to change your vote, in light of this, please clearly state so in the thread

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    No. I was completely unaware of this implication.
    naporeon wrote:
    so what happens when someone is like "I MAKE AN IMMUTABLE RULE THAT I"M THE WINNARRRR!!!!!!!111!!!!!"
    Dude, I understand that you're probably joking here, and that's cool. But if you are genuinely interested in answers to questions like that, read the rules.

First, a rule only becomes a rule when it is approved by vote; people would be unlikely to approve a "i win olol" rule. Second, all rules are mutable upon creation, unless a rule has been enacted that changes that. Third and last, even immutable rules can be changed, although it would take at least two turns to do it; it can be changed from immutable to mutable, and then, once mutable, altered or removed entirely.

When was a rule enacted that changes that?

Zek on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    There wasn't.

I was hoping that someone in the game would notice that the rule was illegal during the debate period, but as it happens, it was someone else.

Regardless, a legit rule-change has now been proposed, via a change from immutable to mutable.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So are illegal rules allowed to be enacted if no one notices before it's voted in?

Zek on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    So are illegal rules allowed to be enacted if no one notices before it's voted in?
    Yes.

But they wouldn't be valid in most circumstances.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Man, why you trying to cheat at your own game?

Garthor on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wow, I didn't even notice that. I just wanted to mutable so it was changeable. Well, I now vote in favor of the new (amended) rule.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Man, why you trying to cheat at your own game?
    I'm not trying to cheat.

That rule would have accomplished nothing had it been approved.

naporeon on
  • Options
    MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I vote in favor of the active preposition.

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    MiracleManSMiracleManS __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007

MiracleManS on
    goldfishsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm casting my vote in favor of the proposition.

I've already got a neat thing for my first prop, but I'm sure it will change by the time my turn rolls around.

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Regardless, there's no rule stating that you can change a rule once you've proposed it.

In fact, this sounds like something that requires a Judgment.

But there's nobody preceding you, because you made the first move, so nobody to be the judge.

So the game cannot continue.

So you win, because you were the first person to be unable to complete a turn.

Cheater.

Garthor on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, rule's fine, I vote in favor of bla bla bla.

Lime and stuff.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    PkErthbndPkErthbnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

PkErthbnd on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I just noticed that everyone has voted.

The proposition passes.

As the active player, I receive 10 points ( (301-291) x (14/14) ).

It is now Zek's turn. He has until this time tomorrow to post his proposition.

Good first round, guys!

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I should be, like, pm-ing people and forming alliances and whatnot, but frankly I'm not sure that would work in the end. I wouldn't even know how to use my alliance to my advantage. I'd probably end up voting for a measure that says "Monkeybomb always loses."

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    When Zek was voting against me, I PMed him to say that (1) all first-round propositions require unanimous votes, and (2) he was next up.

Not an alliance, and probably burning a bridge, but there you go!

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    ok, so I am starting to get the hang of the politics that this game brings about. You can threaten to not vote for any of the other player's propositions if they vote against you.

• Options
    edited May 2007
    Yes, but after the first round is over, you get points if you vote against a proposition that passes.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yes, but after the first round is over, you get points if you vote against a proposition that passes.

I don't get that. Voting against a proposition that passes earns you points, and causing a proposition to fail costs them points? Why would you vote in favor of anyone?

Zek on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Because the only way to really guarantee a win is to form alliances. If everyone votes against a proposition, it fails. If it fails, no one gets points.

Also, I once played in a game where the winners changed the rules so that their whole alliance won, rather than just one person.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Proposition to REPEAL Rule 204

Votes should be cast based on whether or not you want a proposition to be passed, not because the system arbitrarily rewards you with points for taking a contrary position.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    On the one hand, I see your point. I don't want this to become fucking Survivor.

On the other hand, rewards for negative votes can make the game more interesting.

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    So, I'm allowed to vote now, right?

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

• Options
    edited May 2007

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Copycat. i was here first!

• Options
    edited May 2007
    I don't think so.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    MiracleManSMiracleManS __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I vote against the active proposition

MiracleManS on
    goldfishsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

naporeon on
  • Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Franko on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Two things, unrelated to the active prop.

First, how are we designating "mutable" and "immutable" among the newly-adopted rules? I'm not sure I understand how the 100 and 200 series of rules will interact with the 300 series and what the purpose of those numbers really is.

Second,
    Graves wrote: »
    Well then I vote YES on proposition 301.

I vote in favor of the active proposition, if you will
    This is something that needs clarifying.

Earlier, I may have made it look like propositions are numbered. They are not. A number is only assigned when a proposal has been approved. Only when the first NEW RULE is successfully approved will number 301 be assigned.

I'm not sure I agree with this interpretation of the rules, even if they are your own rules. It looks like the props are supposed to be numbered when they are initially brought up. Might I suggest for clarity's sake that when proposing a change, new rule, etc. we all list the proposed item number, even if the assignment is not official?

This can be an official amendment later, but for now perhaps we can have a gentleman's agreement about it?

Monkeybomb on
    monkeysig-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Monkeybomb, you are right. There is no rule saying that they cannot be numbered as proposals.

On the other hand, that would get confusing, since not all proposals pass, and those that do are assigned numbers based on the order in which they were adopted. Points and primacy of rules are determined by this number.

I just want to avoid a situation where you have three proposals that share the same number, before one actually takes it officially.

naporeon on