As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

a

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    wh-what are you doing with your phone?

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    wh-what are you doing with your phone?

Up the bum

GPIA7R on
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I, too, wish it was a little more noticable when vibrating. It's so quiet and quick I often miss it.

But then again, this doesn't bother me so much. I feel a little less pressured to pick up texts and if it was really important, they would have called.

Imperfect on
    edited August 2010
    Are there any hidden finger gestures that most iPhone users may be missing out on? Perhaps while surfing in Mobile Safari? I know it's lazy, but being able to refresh a page without returning to the top would be cool, or other things like that.

What about voice commands? Any special ones outside of "play" or "call"? Though I can't remember how many times my phone started playing "songs by X artist" because it didn't understand me when I said "call X"

GPIA7R on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm pretty sure all the voice commands are the ones that scroll by when you open voice control, not any hidden ones.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
    edited August 2010
    Haaaaa, never noticed those.

So, with my 3GS, my girlfriend was able to receive MMS from me. Ever since I got the i4, she doesn't get them. I still get hers, though, and other iPhone owners get mine. I guess her phone can't handle the higher-res pictures.

GPIA7R on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Hipstamatic is a pretty cool photo program

it has filters that are modeled after fanciful different types of flash, different lenses, and film types

basically looks like old polaroids and such

4899522095_052aee0c72.jpg

ZUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUL.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Probably a port in your work's router not allowing the connection.

It's just a basic Qwest modem/router in a coffee shop. Odd that it'd have to be fiddled with.

Esh on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Are there any hidden finger gestures that most iPhone users may be missing out on? Perhaps while surfing in Mobile Safari? I know it's lazy, but being able to refresh a page without returning to the top would be cool, or other things like that.

What about voice commands? Any special ones outside of "play" or "call"? Though I can't remember how many times my phone started playing "songs by X artist" because it didn't understand me when I said "call X"

If you can manage to fit your fingers on the screen this way, when editing text you can select text by spreading your fingers over the beginning and end of what you want to select.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rothgarr wrote: »

My iPod Touch's lack of buttons (and speakers) has caused me to not very many games for it.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So my sister relayed a bit of a horror story for me. She was the first in the family to receive an iphone, a 3G about a couple of years ago. Her phone was a gift from her boyfriend, already jailbroken and whatnot.

She told me that she thought being jailbroken meant connecting to any wifi hotspot and downloading through Cavia without being charged extra by AT&T, but it turns out that wasn't the case, and a huge bill ended up being contested. As for how she resolved it....she doesn't remember, or doesn't care to remember. My father handles the phone bills and....well, it's basically like asking a dinosaur how hot water works, so I'm not going to get a straight answer there.

I'll be stopping by the AT&T store tomorrow, but am I doomed to the same fate? I thought having a jailbroken iphone meant not having to subscribe to any data plans, thus using whatever free hotspot was available.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You're required to subscribe to an iPhone data plan in order to use the iPhone. Connecting to WiFi and downloading data off of the WiFi network instead of AT&T's 3G network won't count towards your AT&T data usage. This is the case whether you jailbreak or not.

I have no idea what happened with your sister. Two years ago there were unlimited data plans so it was pretty much impossible to get charged extra for a lot of data usage not to mention the fact that if she was actually connected via WiFi it wouldn't have used AT&T's network anyway.

Sarksus on
    edited August 2010
    There's a possibility that her phone was actually "unlocked" and not "jaibroken", and thus confused one with the other. I'm new to this stuff myself, so I also assumed it was the same thing.

Mine is most certainly jailbroken though, purchased from a friend who decided to get an Android instead. All I did was insert my SIM card and use my previous phone number, so I won't be charged for Wifi and downloading, right?

Although I am considering subscribing to a data plan, as apparently my student discount bumps off 15%. $25 a month minus that discount is pretty affordable, but if I decide to do it can I use the data plan and still keep my iphone jailbroken?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Being jailbroken has nothing to do with not being charged for downloading over WiFi. You should never be getting charged for downloading over WiFi. As far as I know, AT&T shouldn't even be aware of when you're downloading over WiFi.

admanb on
    edited August 2010
    admanb wrote: »
    Being jailbroken has nothing to do with not being charged for downloading over WiFi. You should never be getting charged for downloading over WiFi. As far as I know, AT&T shouldn't even be aware of when you're downloading over WiFi.

Well, uh...hmm.

Wonder what she was charged with, then. Texting? Maybe she thinks she's jailbroken and really isn't?

I'll never get the answer, because she couldn't care less, and my parents couldn't be any less tech-savy.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2010
    If you do not have a data plan, and do any data stuff on your iPhone, including it polling for email when you are out and about, they will charge you $Texas/KB. You need a data plan on a smartphone, end of story.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Again, being jailbroken doesn't have anything to do with it. If she was, in fact, downloading over WiFi, she wouldn't be getting charged.

Maybe she thought she was on WiFi, but was actually on 3G?

admanb on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2010
    Again, being jailbroken doesn't have anything to do with it. If she was, in fact, downloading over WiFi, she wouldn't be getting charged.

Right, jailbreak has nothing to do with it.

But not having a data plan and having an iPhone is very silly. The iPhone constantly uses data. Checking for emails, updating calendars/contacts, etc... And data outside of the plan is charged by the kilobyte. And you are not by a wifi hotspotmin your car, or when walking somewhere, and then the data gets used andnyou get hosed on the bill.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited August 2010
    The only relevance jailbreaking has to data usage is unofficial tethering and that itself has nothing to do with what we're talking about so jailbreaking is completely irrelevant to the situation. Regardless of whether or not the phone is jailbroken you can use WiFi as much as you want and you won't be charged by AT&T.

You said you got the phone from a friend and you put your AT&T SIM card in. Are you able to make phone calls? AT&T should become aware of what's going on. You're going to be required to sign up for an iPhone plan and a data plan. I know of no way around this.

Sarksus on
    edited August 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    The only relevance jailbreaking has to data usage is unofficial tethering and that itself has nothing to do with what we're talking about so jailbreaking is completely irrelevant to the situation. Regardless of whether or not the phone is jailbroken you can use WiFi as much as you want and you won't be charged by AT&T.

You said you got the phone from a friend and you put your AT&T SIM card in. Are you able to make phone calls? AT&T should become aware of what's going on. You're going to be required to sign up for an iPhone plan and a data plan. I know of no way around this.

I have been able to make phone calls, yes. Why would I have to sign up for a plan though? I'm already part of an existing family plan, and since the iphone was bought by an outside source (friend), I shouldn't have to sign up for any new contracts.
    syndalis wrote: »

Right, jailbreak has nothing to do with it.

But not having a data plan and having an iPhone is very silly. The iPhone constantly uses data. Checking for emails, updating calendars/contacts, etc... And data outside of the plan is charged by the kilobyte. And you are not by a wifi hotspotmin your car, or when walking somewhere, and then the data gets used andnyou get hosed on the bill.

I'm a little confused by this statement. It's true that I can't check my e-mail or other online stuff when I'm away from a wifi hotspot, but how could I be potentially charged extra from not having a data plan? Are you saying my phone might still transfer k/b even when I'm offline, and thus may result in getting billed by AT&T?

In any event, I may stick with the data plan, as it's apparently $25 a month, and apparently my student e-mail will bump off 15%. It's affordable and most certainly convenient.

edited August 2010
    The iPhone essentially requires a data plan... and in some situations, it can still USE data (because it's MEANT to), and if you don't have a plan, you will be charged PER KB USED.

Let's be realistic, the iPhone is a terrible phone. But the data-part of it (95% of it), is why we get it.

GPIA7R on
    edited August 2010
    So long story short, it would actually cost more to NOT have a data plan than it would to use one?

edited August 2010
    I didn't even know AT&T let you have an iPhone without having the data plan. I was required to subscribe to a data plan when I got the phone.

Anyway, if you were somehow able to skip the data plan I'm not sure how well it would work out. Most of the phone's functionality would be unavailable to you outside of a WiFi network because so many of the applications use data and I'm not even sure which ones use data. Like does anyone know how the voicemail works? Does it count as a phone call or does voicemail access count against data usage? And as for email, I'm pretty sure the phone checks my email whenever I make a phone call, I usually hear the sound it makes while the phone is connecting the call. It would be difficult to manage the phone so that it wouldn't use any 3G data.

Edit: Also realize that the $25 a month data plan is for 2GB. There is a $15 a month plan that gives you 200MB. 200MB is enough for most people unless they're streaming music or video.

Sarksus on
    edited August 2010
    I didn't even know AT&T let you have an iPhone without having the data plan. I was required to subscribe to a data plan when I got the phone.

Anyway, if you were somehow able to skip the data plan I'm not sure how well it would work out. Most of the phone's functionality would be unavailable to you outside of a WiFi network because so many of the applications use data and I'm not even sure which ones use data. Like does anyone know how the voicemail works? Does it count as a phone call or does voicemail access count against data usage? And as for email, I'm pretty sure the phone checks my email whenever I make a phone call, I usually hear the sound it makes while the phone is connecting the call. It would be difficult to manage the phone so that it wouldn't use any 3G data.

Edit: Also realize that the $25 a month data plan is for 2GB. There is a $15 a month plan that gives you 200MB. 200MB is enough for most people unless they're streaming music or video.

Again, I bought it from a friend. I didn't buy it through AT&T. That's why I didn't have to sign a contract or anything.

I figured I could manage without a data plan, since most of the places I commute to (school, restaurants, local places) have free wifi, so it's not like I'd be completley barren outside of home.

Now, this talk about how I could still potentially transmit data even when not close to a hotspot, and may end up charged for it is worrying. If that was the case, I'd sooner subscribe to a data plan to be on the safe side.

Also, I'm pretty sure the $25 a month plan covers 3G, or at least covers 3G for those who are grandfathered in (which I think I qualify, even though I don't have any real idea what they mean by "grandfathered in").

edited August 2010
    The 200mb package is just there to look good... don't fool yourself into getting that. It's a complete joke.

If you were grandfathered into the unlimited plan, stay in it, don't leave it for the "new" plans.

GPIA7R on
    edited August 2010

Again, I bought it from a friend. I didn't buy it through AT&T. That's why I didn't have to sign a contract or anything.

I figured I could manage without a data plan, since most of the places I commute to (school, restaurants, local places) have free wifi, so it's not like I'd be completley barren outside of home.

Now, this talk about how I could still potentially transmit data even when not close to a hotspot, and may end up charged for it is worrying. If that was the case, I'd sooner subscribe to a data plan to be on the safe side.

Also, I'm pretty sure the $25 a month plan covers 3G, or at least covers 3G for those who are grandfathered in (which I think I qualify, even though I don't have any real idea what they mean by "grandfathered in").

That isn't what I mean. I mean eventually when AT&T sees that you have an iPhone they're going to want you to sign up for a data plan because that's how it works and I've never known it any different. It has nothing to do with contracts or getting phones from friends.

As for your last paragraph, what you said doesn't make any sense. There are two data plans offered by AT&T for the iPhone. The 200MB $15 plan and the 2GB $25 plan. They are identical except for how much bandwidth you're allowed to use each month. They're both 3G plans so long as you live in an area with 3G coverage. The "grandfathered" in thing refers to old customers who already have the old $30 unlimited data plan. They have been grandfathered into the new system. Unless you had an older smartphone with an unlimited data plan already this likely doesn't apply to you.

And GPIA7R, when was the last time you checked your usage? I've checked mine, at the end of the month, and I didn't break 200MB. This was with very heavy browser and Twitter usage. Unless you're streaming video or audio or you're tethering it's unlikely you'll break 200MB. A lot of people overestimate how much data they actually use. You'd be surprised how little you're using.

If he's trying to limit his 3G data usage anyway then there's no way he'd go anywhere near 200MB and it would be a hell of a lot easier than trying to keep the phone from transmitting data.

Sarksus on
    edited August 2010
    And GPIA7R, when was the last time you checked your usage? I've checked mine, at the end of the month, and I didn't break 200MB. This was with very heavy browser and Twitter usage. Unless you're streaming video or audio or you're tethering it's unlikely you'll break 200MB. A lot of people overestimate how much data they actually use. You'd be surprised how little you're using.
    Data
    GPRS WAP UNLTD DOM - CMB1Reflects the Media and wireless Internet services used during the current billing cycle, including ringtones, games, and graphics downloaded. Usage is measured in megabytes (MB). Messaging

View Details 745.27 MB of
    Unlimited

That's mine, with very casual usage.

Yes, EXTREMELY casual usage, 200MB would work... but it's the principle of the thing. Unlimited should not be removed how it was, and replaced with such paltry plans.

GPIA7R on
    edited August 2010
    I have a really hard time believing that's "very casual" unless you rarely ever use WiFi.

Sarksus on
    edited August 2010

That isn't what I mean. I mean eventually when AT&T sees that you have an iPhone they're going to want you to sign up for a data plan because that's how it works and I've never known it any different. It has nothing to do with contracts or getting phones from friends.

Well I don't see how they could "force" a data plan onto you, since the phone wasn't purchased on their store. But I don't want to get into the legalities about it. Right now I'm more focused on what I should be doing in order to avoid a potentially large bill.
    As for your last paragraph, what you said doesn't make any sense. There are two data plans offered by AT&T for the iPhone. The 200MB $15 plan and the 2GB $25 plan. They are identical except for how much bandwidth you're allowed to use each month. They're both 3G plans so long as you live in an area with 3G coverage.

My mistake, I misread "for 2gb" as "for 2g", meaning it only applies to 2G networks (which wouldn't make sense as it's now out of date).
    The "grandfathered" in thing refers to old customers who already have the old $30 unlimited data plan. They have been grandfathered into the new system. Unless you had an older smartphone with an unlimited data plan already this likely doesn't apply to you.

That would be the plan my 2nd youngest sister has. Ironically, she's paying more for a data plan that grants her unlimited access when in truth she probably would never spend past the 200mb range.

Well I'm the kind of guy who likes to constantly check on email, news from websites, send highscore data from games, and even browse the odd YouTube video or two, so I may require the 2gb plan. I could always try the cheapest option first and then the other. Also I hate to ask the obvious, but does the 200mb/2gb plan factor into using wifi hotspots?

So right now I need clarification if getting one of the two data plans is overall a better alternative to paying by the k/b. How often does the latter occur, anyway, and how much could I be potentially charged?

edited August 2010
    There are a couple stories out there on Consumerist, I think, of AT&T placing data plans on iPhones because they require them.

I mostly use my phone during the 9 hours every morning that I'm at work, so that ~800MB isn't so hard to hit.

GPIA7R on
    edited August 2010
    Using WiFi wouldn't count towards your data usage, no.

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/plan-terms.jsp#data

If this is right then it's $2 per MB for overages or non-plan data usage.

Edit: Anyway, if they do require you to get a data plan then they can definitely force you. Without a plan they may just refuse to give you voice service. I don't know, though, usually people just buy the plan and deal with it.

Sarksus on
    edited August 2010

Edit: Anyway, if they do require you to get a data plan then they can definitely force you. Without a plan they may just refuse to give you voice service. I don't know, though, usually people just buy the plan and deal with it.

Without a plan, GPAI7R would have spent over 1400 dollars on data in a month. Instead he spent 25-30 bucks

Get a plan.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited August 2010
    syndalis wrote: »

Without a plan, GPAI7R would have spent over 1400 dollars on data in a month. Instead he spent 25-30 bucks

Get a plan.

I'm pretty much sold. I just hope I can have them build me separately for the plan while my folks pay whatever else is part of our family plan.

Now for the next issue. I bought the phone for my friend for $350 (white 3GS, 16gb), as based on some Ebay searches was considered a bargain. The phone's in perfect condition with everything out of the box included, and he even threw in a bunch of cases just for the heck of it.

Looking at the AT&T site, however, it seems I could have gotten that same phone for $150, so long as I signed a 2 year contract or something.

Did I get ripped off?

edited August 2010
    I didn't think the 16GB 3GS was sold by AT&T anymore.

Anyway the only way you would have qualified for the subsidized price was if your family's account was due for an upgrade credit. If it was and an upgrade credit is okay for new iPhone users and not just upgrades (not sure about this) then yeah, you could have gotten an iPhone 4 32GB for $300.

If you don't have an upgrade credit then you would have to pay for the unsubsidized price which is like 500-600 dollars. People pay as much as $300 for an iPhone on Ebay because they can't get it subsidized and it's way cheaper than the unsubsidized price.

Edit: Also, I doubt they'll bill you separately for the data plan. Just give your parents the cash each month and it should be okay.

Sarksus on
    edited August 2010
    I didn't think the 16GB 3GS was sold by AT&T anymore.

Anyway the only way you would have qualified for the subsidized price was if your family's account was due for an upgrade credit. If it was and an upgrade credit is okay for new iPhone users and not just upgrades (not sure about this) then yeah, you could have gotten an iPhone 4 32GB for $300.

If you don't have an upgrade credit then you would have to pay for the unsubsidized price which is like 500-600 dollars. People pay as much as $300 for an iPhone on Ebay because they can't get it subsidized and it's way cheaper than the unsubsidized price.

Edit: Also, I doubt they'll bill you separately for the data plan. Just give your parents the cash each month and it should be okay.

I guess that's something the store can tell me. My pal was more than solid about the whole thing, though, and he could have easily sold it for much more to someone else, so maybe I shouldn't sour things.

And you don't know my family. I would gladly avoid having to manually pay them each month.

• zen-zen- Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You guys know you can disable mobile data and 3g, right?

You don't need a data plan.

This is coming from me using a pay as you go sim card in an iPhone 2G for the past year or so. Just go to settings -> general -> network and turn off mobile data, 3G and data roaming but leave Wi-Fi connected. It'll only connect at hotspots and will have absolutely nothing to do with your carrier.

However if you talk to your carrier, I'm sure they'll whistle a different tune.

zen- on
  • RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The 200mb package is just there to look good... don't fool yourself into getting that. It's a complete joke.

If you were grandfathered into the unlimited plan, stay in it, don't leave it for the "new" plans.

When I got my new iPhone 4 while on vacation last week I actually downgraded from my grandfathered unlimited plan to the 200MB cap. In the 2+ years I owned my iPhone 3G I never used more than 90MB in a single month. Most months were around 50MB. Reason being I'm always on WiFi at home. And there is shitty 3G coverage where I live so I can't even pull a lot of data even if I wanted to. I was paying for an unlimited data plan that I couldn't even use.

Rothgarr on
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rothgarr wrote: »

When I got my new iPhone 4 while on vacation last week I actually downgraded from my grandfathered unlimited plan to the 200MB cap. In the 2+ years I owned my iPhone 3G I never used more than 90MB in a single month. Most months were around 50MB. Reason being I'm always on WiFi at home. And there is shitty 3G coverage where I live so I can't even pull a lot of data even if I wanted to. I was paying for an unlimited data plan that I couldn't even use.

Completely agree. I'm connected to wifi at work and at home, so even though I'm on my iPhone constantly (need an intermediate charge most days), I never get close to the 200MB cap. The $15/mo I saved by switching from unlimited to 200MB on my iP4 is now paying for my wife's data plan on my old 3G.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gah, there's a scratch on my iPhone 4 screen. Not a big deal, but annoying. Any way to remove this? I see a lot of scratch remover stuff, but it all seems to be for previous iterations of the phone or other devices, and I don't wanna rub random chemicals on my phone.

SniperGuy on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    There are a couple stories out there on Consumerist, I think, of AT&T placing data plans on iPhones because they require them.

I mostly use my phone during the 9 hours every morning that I'm at work, so that ~800MB isn't so hard to hit.

if you're using your phone on the 3G network for 9 hours every day, that is not "very casual" usage

I've had an iPhone for going on 2 years and the largest amount of data I've ever used was just under 300MB, most months are around 180-225MB

Monoxide on