As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New comic thread, Wednesday, 8/18/10

Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Social Entropy++
973723162_L3YAQ-L.jpg

edit: holy shit, my first new comic thread. TAKE THAT ROBOT!

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
Raiden333 on

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And at 4:30 PM, Taelespin.

SabreMau on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    what's in the rug?

Pony on
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There's not enough Gypsy Puppet Theater in the world right now

Gatsby on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have way more interesting conversations when dumping bodies. You guys need to spice it up a bit, really now.

Cilla Black on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    what's in the rug?

um look at the shape

and the stains appearing on the pier

DURRR pony

it is obvious a secret marinara sauce

Raneados on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    what's in the rug?

The gypsy

tofu on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Spaghettie leges alle overe panele one.

Henroid on
  • nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The rug is full of radios.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Gabe's gotten exponentially better at painting hardsurface objects over the years.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I hope there are delicious sandwiches inside that rug, and they are going to share them with us.

DarkPrimus on
    edited August 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    what's in the rug?

um look at the shape

DURRR pony

Obviously, it is Tycho's engorged and injured phallus, cloaked in a persian rug for modesty and to prevent rainwater infection. They're walking to the hospital to seek the advice and council of several learned professionals.

How'd it get that way? Don't know, don't wanna know.

SabreMau on
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That rug really ties the panel together.

Highfire on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, radio rules are rough stuff.

Who has to right to tell me I can't talk about sodomy at 8 a.m.?

Straight up ridiculous...

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Zonugal wrote: »

Me and my best friend had a radio show in Gary Indiana where we would play electro on a station that was primarily jazz and christian music. We were a lead in for a conscious hip-hop show run by a pretty cool dude. We regularly swore and made references to drug use and internet shock sites like lemon party and tubgirl. We would constantly show up late and occasionaly do an entire show where our only interjections were making laser noises with our mouths.

The only complaint we ever got was when the one dude we would have call in and talk over the phone mentioned that Gary was the murder per capita capital of the nation.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • TAFKAPTAFKAP Warrior-Jumper Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! Come on down to PJ Motors on 5th and 3rd! We've got the haggardest burros in town; all at low, low prices!

<closing jingle />

TAFKAP on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

THE FCC THAT'S WHO.

But yeah those rules are dumb.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man I wish there were a local electro station 'round here

DarkPrimus on
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SabreMau wrote: »
    what's in the rug?

um look at the shape

DURRR pony

Obviously, it is Tycho's engorged and injured phallus, cloaked in a persian rug for modesty and to prevent rainwater infection. They're walking to the hospital to seek the advice and council of several learned professionals.

How'd it get that way? Don't know, don't wanna know.

cannot be unseen

VALVEjunkie on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    tofu wrote: »
    what's in the rug?

The gypsy

529256606_jMxuh-L-2.jpg

???

Speed Racer on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Me and my best friend had a radio show in Gary Indiana where we would play electro on a station that was primarily jazz and christian music. We were a lead in for a conscious hip-hop show run by a pretty cool dude. We regularly swore and made references to drug use and internet shock sites like lemon party and tubgirl. We would constantly show up late and occasionaly do an entire show where our only interjections were making laser noises with our mouths.

The only complaint we ever got was when the one dude we would have call in and talk over the phone mentioned that Gary was the murder per capita capital of the nation.

What time did you broadcast in the day?

Zonugal on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Love when they're doing something insanely out of the norm during normal discussion

The best one remains the Madden one where they emerge from cocoon pods

UnbreakableVow on
    edited August 2010

It was supposed to be from 4PM until 6PM but we were often late and the guy after us was often late. Also we never ran the PSAs we were supposed to except for once or twice when it was just my friend doing the first few weeks of shows and he spent half the time he was playing them making fun of how McGruff the crime dog sounds like a pedophile without the context of an animated dog.

We so should have been fired from there, but the station manager was actually sad when we had to quit doing the show.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It would be interesting to know whether the Republicans support or oppose this proposal.

Platy on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I love me some radio

I have a pair of radio headphones from radioshack I wear everywhere. Good sound quality and the AAA battery lasts a long time. I've been pondering getting a portable HD Radio player, but I doubt they have a headphone model yet.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't get what is going on

why do people want radios installed in things?

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Because they fear the internet will eventually kill the modern radio station probably.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    that's not how the song by the POTUSA goes

that's not how it goes at all

Vivixenne on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    her name was madam romani?

man that's terribly uninspired

Raneados on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    internet killed the radio star

Speed Racer on
    edited August 2010
    no Speed Racer

no Speed Racer

no Speed Racer nooooo

Vivixenne on
    edited August 2010

Well considering he found it at an abandoned circus that was probably her stage name

circus side-shows are not exactly known for being bastions of creativity

Speed Racer on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    tofu wrote: »
    what's in the rug?

The gypsy

529256606_jMxuh-L-2.jpg

???

hahaha I always loved Tycho's reaction in the 3rd panel.

Henroid on
    edited August 2010
    internet killed the radio star

Youtube killed the video star, and animated it's corpse through Gypsy Puppet Theater.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    edited August 2010

It was supposed to be from 4PM until 6PM but we were often late and the guy after us was often late. Also we never ran the PSAs we were supposed to except for once or twice when it was just my friend doing the first few weeks of shows and he spent half the time he was playing them making fun of how McGruff the crime dog sounds like a pedophile without the context of an animated dog.

We so should have been fired from there, but the station manager was actually sad when we had to quit doing the show.

For the first 9 months I did talk radio from noon to 1 p.m. and 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. Than I quit one show and my other show got shifted so I was at 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. for the next 6 months.

During our music breaks I would run up to window and begin to show my bare chest to all who would walk-by, good times...

Zonugal on
    edited August 2010

Well considering he found it at an abandoned circus that was probably her stage name

um she's magic

she could CONJURE a better name

Raneados on
    edited August 2010

um she's magic

she could CONJURE a better name
    Pop culture has taught me that gypsy magic can only be used to punish people that piss you off

Speed Racer on
    edited August 2010
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    no Speed Racer

no Speed Racer

no Speed Racer nooooo

lolcats came

and broke your heart

Speed Racer on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    http://www.dailytech.com/RIAA+and+Broadcasters+Look+to+Tell+US+Government+to+Mandate+Radios+in+Cell+Phones/article19374.htm
    RIAA and Broadcasters Look to Tell U.S. Government to Mandate Radios in Cell Phones

Why let the free market decide when the technology is so essential?

Whether it's suing dead people or simply suing living ones for millions of dollars for illegally downloading a few tracks, media watchdog the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) seems to gravitate towards controversy like a moth to a flame. The divisive organization is back at it again, this time demanding that the U.S. government impose a drastic mandate on cell phone production.

The RIAA will look to introduce a provision into Congress's pending legislation, the Performance Rights Act, which would mandate that all cell phones be built with FM radio receivers.

The seemingly bizarre mandate is the keystone of an elaborate game of financial chess between radio broadcasters and the RIAA, with the implied assumption being that Congress will do whatever the pair say.

The RIAA wants to cut the longstanding copyright exemption that allows radio stations to pay less than full performance fees to labels and artists (satellite radio and webcasters, by contrast, pay the full fee). The National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) opposes this measure, but is reportedly near a deal with RIAA-led alliance musicFIRST.

Under the deal radio stations would agree to pay $100M USD more to labels and artists, but in exchange the RIAA would back the broadcasters plan to force all cell phones or other mobile devices in the U.S. to feature FM tuners. Speaking with ArsTechnica, musicFIRST commented, "As regards the chip, this is a key issue for the radio industry. musicFIRST, too, likes FM chips in cell phones, PDAs, etc. It gives consumers access to more music choices."

The Consumer Electronics Association, which represents the key players of the electronics industry, is ardently opposed to the plan which it says seeks to impose damaging restrictions on the free market. CEA president Gary Shapiro, "The backroom scheme of the [National Association of Broadcasters] and RIAA to have Congress mandate broadcast radios in portable devices, including mobile phones, is the height of absurdity [and is] not in our national interest."

The NAB says no deal is finalized, but NAB's Dennis Wharton comments, "However, if there is a decision made by the Board of Directors to go forward and seek legislation, including radio-enabled chips in mobile devices in possible legislation seems to us to be a reasonable idea."

They say the CEA's complaints about market regulation are just sour grapes, commenting, "It's no surprise that CEA opposes this, since trade associations generally always oppose new rules. CEA also opposed DTV tuners in digital television sets; the FCC decided that having DTV tuners in TV sets was a good thing, and passed a rule that gave consumers access to local TV stations on DTV sets."

"We would argue that having radio capability on cell phones and other mobile devices would be a great thing, particularly from a public safety perspective. There are few if any technologies that match the reliability of broadcast radio in terms of getting lifeline information to the masses."

So is mandating radio tuners in cell phones the same thing as mandating DTV tuners in TV sets? The RIAA and NAB seem convinced it is. And they seem equally convinced that Congress will do their bidding, should they choose to roll out a finalized version of their market regulation scheme.

Brolo on
    edited August 2010
    Those quotes hurt.

Zonugal on
    edited August 2010
    So, they want to put it in the bill, but it's not currently in the bill, or what?

SabreMau on
This discussion has been closed.