AC; i need your help (updated 19-8-10)

r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Artist's Corner
hey-o, i've been offered a spot to show some paintings of mine at a local dress shop. i got an in because my gf's older bro is a fashion designer. i got talking to the onwner of the store and she though it would be cool if my paintings could kind of be like promo art for ben's (gf's older bro) dress's.

seeing as how i'm not really confident with human anatomy i would really appreciate any help i can get here.

rough_1copy.png

obviously these women will be wearing the dress's but i'd just really like to know that i've a solid base here.

any and all crits are welcome.

cheeeeers.

edit: i'm tryig to make the poses interesting, adding twist and stuff like that. i'm thinking i should push the pose on the first one more. make her more hunched. the middle is definietly the most boring though.

r-jasper on

• MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    jerome-lamaar-fortez-sketches.jpg
    400_F_5455870_yh6UHUOjRxjeHkmZIMED4l9j2qM14vZs.jpg
    http://www.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&biw=1207&bih=738&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=fashion+design&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

As you can see from those pictures, fashion art usually isn't about 100% accurate anatomy. It's more about the clothing itself, accompanied by stylized, very tall, anorexic women.

I feel that realism is less important than going for a stylish, cute look. Of course you don't want a boob on her back, but proportions aren't exactly a trademark of fashion design. At the same time you don't want the anatomy to be off-putting, though. But I'd still say the key is the art style.

Now obviously you're not designing the dresses, but rather featuring them. But I think that the fashion design style would be the right direction to head towards.

Mangoes on
  • MustangMustang Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Are you reffing these? There's nothing majorly wrong with them, but the placement of the head is awkward in all of them, especially the last one. I do think you'd be better off reffing them, especially when you're in a pinch to improve.

Have a look at some fashion sketches too, they're all very elegant and flowing poses. Only your last sketch would fall into this category, the rest of them are fairly unflattering to the female form.

EDIT: Beaten by fruit again.

Mustang on
  • SabSab Registered User
    edited July 2010
    Those are all impossible poses with very glaring errors in anatomy, form, and perspective.

That sounds harsh but you ARE putting these in a store for many people to see. I suggest getting reference of the poses you want and working from there to stylize the way you want to.

Sab on
    pasigsab.png
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just keep in mind that you probably want the poses to make it seem like she's thinking "I look fantastic in this dress," and not "uh oh, there's an invisible dude yanking on my arms." Remember that the purpose of these images will be for customers in the store to see.

lyrium on
  • MustangMustang Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I find the trick with fashion drawing is to imagine the women in your life that don't actually acknowledge your existence and put them in a dress.

Mustang on
  • r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    wow. pretty quick response. coooool

the deal is i had to respond to this theme of redemption aswell, which kind of explains the poses? yes? no? i was going to have a crow in amoungst the women *insert opening to 'the crow' here* the arms look all funny because i was going to have them all link up. but it didn't really work out like i had wanted.

the overall purpose of these is to be art not fashion art.

but i get what's being said. i should probably make these girls less chunky?

any suggestions on ghow to improve with the anatomy? besides from the errors with the heads? is there a site where i can pose a rig or somethign?

thanks so much for the quick feedback!

r-jasper on
    edited July 2010
    Mustang wrote: »
    I find the trick with fashion drawing is to imagine the women in your life that don't actually acknowledge your existence and put them in a dress.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, shouldn't be too hard for me :P

r-jasper on
  • Faded_SneakersFaded_Sneakers Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Mustang wrote: »

I've never seen my mom in a dress. Wouldn't know where to start.

D:

Faded_Sneakers on
    Instagram: fadedsneakers
    edited August 2010
    3 weeks? fuuuuck.

finalcompmockupcopy.jpg

yeah? yeah. yeah!

rough. started painting tonight. thoughts?

r-jasper on