As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

HD Starcraft - T-shirt Design Contest

imdrew21imdrew21 Registered User new member
edited August 2010 in Artist's Corner
Hey all,

I'm new here, so dont ROFLTROLL:mrgreen: me, but i just wanted to alert everyone to the T-shirt Design Contest goin on over at HD Starcraft's youtube channel. I don't know if any of y'all are following the commentaries and what not, but this just seemed like a cool opportunity.

Linkage

I actually wanted to get this to "Kiko" (?). I've seen what i believe is some of his handiwork on here with PA's D&D goodies, and some of their awesome shirt designs (The Heroism shirt, and I'm sure many others), but alas, I know not of how to get in touch with him.

Hear me Universe, for I am MAN:!:

imdrew21 on

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    imdrew21 wrote: »
    Hear me Universe, for I am MAN:!:

Hear me, man. I am the rules!

MagicToaster on
  • imdrew21imdrew21 Registered User new member
    edited August 2010
    forgive me for not lurking, but how else did i violate? no art? or should i have put in chat somewhere. sorry for being a n00b

imdrew21 on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    No art.

This board exists entirely for the sake of criticism, and PA staff members rarely read the forums, if at all. You're better off just sending an email.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited August 2010
    Going to the chat thread is the best way of going about this. But, just posting that link, without having any sort of interaction with the forumers won't get you very far. It's gonna look like you're pandering your contest instead of trying to be part of the community.

MagicToaster on
    edited August 2010
    ok, so as opposed to this, the art thread, i should go to the chat thread, and also have interaction with the forumers... im stumped/dumb with that. ill ask them how their days goin and maybe ask for design ideas, cuz ya, its not my contest.

imdrew21 on
    edited August 2010
    imdrew21 wrote: »
    im stumped/dumb with that. ill ask them how their days goin and maybe ask for design ideas, cuz ya, its not my contest.

I was trying to be polite and tell you that there is no way anyone here will bother taking part of this contest. But, what the heck, it's not your contest.

MagicToaster on
    edited August 2010
    Heheh, ok. thanks for takin time to try and straighten out a newb, and ya just didnt know if anyone would care about it, figured if anyone would, PA peeps would.

imdrew21 on
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Disclaimer: My views do not represent those of the good people at Penny-Arcade (with whom I have no affiliation) and should not be viewed as such. Please continue to read their awesome comics, donate to their awesome charity, and go to their awesome conventions.

Also, most professional designers are wary of art contests (and there are a lot of professionals in this forum). Like this one, the prize is always something menial like a t-shirt and a vague quasi-promise of incredibly weak royalties. It's an underhanded way of getting multiple print-ready designs on the cheap while only having to compensate one of the numerous people who entered.

Forgive me for my cynicism. It just feels like people too often prey on the art community because of the 'easy fun time' stigma placed on the professions. People think that because they came up with the idea for some epic painting, that the artist is just a monkey who 'fills in the details.'

Also, I know it's hard paying a professional artist when you don't have much money of your own, but it's kind of like saying, "Hmm, I'm pretty hungry. I'll hold a contest where all the restaurants will bring me their best food, then I get all that food and I only pay $20 to the winner."

HugmasterGeneral on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So wait minute, you want somebody to design a t-shirt and the payment will be a free t-shirt....providing you decide that the design is better than all the other chuds entries? Sounds like a pretty rubbish deal if you ask me.

Mustang on
This discussion has been closed.