As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm not sure how I feel about this

MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNBREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
edited August 2010 in Social Entropy++
SE++, most of you probably know that I am a tremendous fan of Jagged Alliance. Those games are pretty good.

Apparently at Gamescom today, they announced a new Jagged Alliance game.

Jagged Alliance Online.

A browser-based MMO.
Tactical Turn based Action in 3D isometric graphics with parameterized maps for fresh challenges
Management of mercenary company with extended RPG system
Synchronous and asynchronous online PvE, co-op and PvP
Build up your own HQ
Players can choose to accept campaigns, which are essentially a string of missions on a specific map that need to be resolved within a given time frame.
Players can support other’s campaigns by renting mercenaries for a certain amount of time and can also bolster their roster by using their ally’s mercs.
The game can be played as a normal browser game, managing mercenaries and sending them on missions or players can dive into the action on the tactical map, improving their chances and rewards.
The game has three core layers of gameplay:
o The tactical map, where players control their mercs directly in turn based/real time combat.
o The management level, where players run their company, rent out mercs and choose missions or campaigns as well as build up their HQ facilities.
o The social layer, where players may support or fight others on campaigns or missions.

I am fearful of Jagged Alliance becoming another Farmville or something. I don't want to see someone's facebook update telling me that they gained +2 marksmanship by training Steroid for three hours.

I realize this is completely unwarranted since it could be really cool! But dammit I love the original JA (and especially JA2) so much that any sort of change to the formula sounds bad. This must be how the rabid Fallout fans feel.

Anyway, SE++, I pose this question to you: What is it that you are completely unreasonable about being changed? It could be an adaptation of your favorite book to movie form, or a change in direction for your favorite comic. What is it that, although you realize how ridiculous being, you find incredibly difficult to accept change in?

Or, you know, talk about whatever in here.

Moriveth on

• Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have the hardest time dealing with DSG transmissions

I know they supposedly shift faster than any other transmission and are supposed to give you the control of a manual with the ease of an automatic but goddamnit I need that clutch pedal

Also if I fuck up a shift I want to know it. I don't need no dang car saying "I can't let you do that, Dave" when I try to downshift from 5th to 2nd, or shifting for me when I explicitly tell it not to

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hugh Jackman's too tall to be Wolverine. A bluh bluh bluh

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I dislike change in a lot of things, really, which is pretty stupid because change is pretty much a universal constant. But so many times something gets changed just for the sake of changing it. It worked perfectly fine before, why you gotta change a thing? Don't fix what isn't broke and all that.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hugh Jackman's too tall to be Wolverine. A bluh bluh bluh

He's also too good looking.

I want a short ass ugly Wolverine again.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Being a fan of Sonic the Hedgehog since 1991 kinda numbed me to getting angry over changes to things.

I think the only game that was changed that got me worried a bit was the transition from Super Metroid's side scrolling to Metroid Prime's first person perspective.

That turned out alright.

Yukira on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Of course it did considering that Prime is one of the best games ever.

Still can't play it on the wii for some reason.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    EA recently was spotted securing Syndicate-branded websites and all signs are the old franchise is being revived.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I just requested Dark Void, 50 Cent: Blood On The Sand, and X-Men Origins: Wolverine on Goozex

Also, I've been playing Far Cry 2 a bit, which is pretty fucking awesome

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, Prime is one of the best games ever. I own all three and the Trilogy on top of that.

The first mini boss on Talon IV actually gave me trouble until I remembered to lead the damn wasps more.

For some reason, I was completely excited about the jump from A Link to the Past to Ocarina of Time without any reservations.

Yukira on
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Blood On The Sand is one of the most unintentionally hilarious games ever.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    FlatEric wrote: »

I've played it before, and yeah, it is something wonderful

a surprisingly fun game too!

Moriveth on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    why does everything need to be an mmo

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I don't know

pretty soon they'll be making MMOs into MMOs

putting pay-to-play games inside games you already pay to play

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't know

WoW is already charging 3 extra dollars a month for an iphone application that manages your auctions

soon there will probably be arcade games you feed virtual quarters into, to play. I mean you'll get achievements and maybe a mount for them right

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wren wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't know

WoW is already charging 3 extra dollars a month for an iphone application that manages your auctions

what

what

just

what

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I don't know

what

what

just

what

Hi there.

Yukira on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    FlatEric wrote: »

I've played it before, and yeah, it is something wonderful

a surprisingly fun game too!

I've never been able to play it, but I want to. It has a dedicated swear button, it has to be good.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I don't know

what

what

just

what

yes. its a real thing. apparently your 15 dollars a month just isn't enough to manage a simple iphone app

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yukira wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't know

what

what

just

what

Hi there.

Well part of me is happy for Blizzard for somehow being able to make money regardless of the silliest goddamn things

but the other part doesn't understand why people keep paying for these things that make Blizzard come up with those sort of things in the first place

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Some people have to control a virtual market.

Yukira on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    because the people are dumb consumer whores

i'm not a consumer whore, but only because i don't have any money anyway.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    No matter how good a browser game is, they are still the cancer of the internet.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    milking consumer whores isn't so bad, but when everyone is too afraid to something thats just free and fun, the guys in the suits get all uppity because gosh darnit there could be a couple bucks to be made there maybe

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The sad thing is I will probably still end up playing the thing because it's Jagged Alliance

I mean it'll probably be shit and I won't play for long

but I will still try it

Moriveth on
  • Options
    art4217art4217 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I hate the DRM shift to having to be online to install or play a PC game. Internet connections are NOT available everywhere all the time. I don't want to download a third party app to install patches either.

art4217 on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would play a browser based Jagged Alliance MMO.

Seems like a good idea to me, I mean you can have a persistent game world with player interaction playing a large part in how you play the game.

I really think ID is selling people on the idea that a browser based game doesn't have to be "farmville"

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The sad thing is I will probably still end up playing the thing because it's Jagged Alliance

but I will still try it

I've never played Jagged Alliance, what's it about?

Yukira on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ferrus wrote: »
    No matter how good a browser game is, they are still the cancer of the internet.

This is a dumb thing to say. Why should the medium matter if it functions the same way? It's not like Jagged Alliance wouldn't be perfectly manageable in a browser format.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I think you mean 4chan.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yukira wrote: »

but I will still try it

I've never played Jagged Alliance, what's it about?

Basically a turn-based strategy game with some money management elements

you have to find a place to make money (In JA1 it's tapping sap from valuable trees, in JA2 it's various gold/silver mines around the country), and use that money to buy mercenaries. Getting a mercenary isn't a one-time fee either, you have to pay them on a daily, weekly, or biweekly basis.

In JA1 it was even more complex because you had to 'prove yourself' to some mercs before they'd work for you, so you'd always start out with crappy dudes. Also, some mercenaries hate each other and will quit or kill each other if you make them work together.

I am doing a bad job at explaining this, but it's a really good series of games with a ton of personality in them.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Are they on GoG?

Yukira on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

but random mutations can be good and the basis of all life

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010

but I will still try it

Moriveth is taking on a boss and needs your help! Click here to join the fight.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yup!

They are a bit hard to get into, though. Especially JA2, which is a bit more involved combat-wise than JA1 is.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I might check it out. My childhood was console games up until Everquest.

Yukira on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Everquest blew my eleven-year-old mind. I still don't know what my dad was thinking in getting that for me.

"Dad, the game is broken! There's no single-player mode."

"That's right. You only play the game online."

"I... what?"

We played together for years and never managed to get past level twenty.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

but random mutations can be good and the basis of all life

True enough. I guess with enough time the Internet might spew forth a browser game that isn't a horrible abomination.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Everquest blew my eleven-year-old mind. I still don't know what my dad was thinking in getting that for me.

"Dad, the game is broken! There's no single-player mode."

"That's right. You only play the game online."

"I... what?"

We played together for years and never managed to get past level twenty.

Four years, 8 or 9 expansions. A level 70 Dark Elf Shadow Knight. That was my first character. I picked one of the hardest race/class combos to level, up until SoE started balancing the classes and exp curve better.

Being almost as hated as the Iksar was horrible for a new player, and very hilarious looking back on it.

Only thing I miss is the faction system. It was a lot more interesting than WoW's even if it was a harder grind.

Yukira on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What am I completely unreasonable about being changed?

War of the Worlds.

That fucking Tom Cruise movie was shit out of a butt. They didn't change too much, except everything that matters to fans of the original radioshow and the Jeff Wayne musical version. Also it was terribad, even ignoring the things that were changed.

Donovan Puppyfucker on