As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel Comics Solicits for November 2010

2»

• CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Haters gonna hate on Miyazawa

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Um, I've been meaning to ask this, but

what exactly is a back-up comic? Is it similar to TV show B Plots?

Wearingglasses on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Back ups are 6-8 page short stories in some comics these days, usually featuring a different character. For instance, in the Captain America comic, there is a backup about teen hero Nomad.

They were basically created to justify a $4 price tag on a regular 32 page comic. Some comics don't have them yet still charge $4, other comics like Avengers and New Avengers have text only backup stories like chapters in a book.

TexiKen on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ohh. So do the same team for the comic do the back-up as well? Or (being that it's called a backup) another team handles it?

The story is also only tangentially related to the current plot, I take it?

Wearingglasses on
  • dcleedclee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Probably depends on the book but among the back-up stories I've seen they'd had no relation to the actual issue they're in.

dclee on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, most back-ups are by different creative teams.

But in the case of Avengers and New Avengers, it is the regular writer writing chapters of the story of the Avengers.

TexiKen on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like the fact that back-ups are coming back

it feels more silver agey

and that is a plus in my book

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Frank all healed up and back in healthy flesh. Honestly, I don't know if I will keep getting Punisher after Frankencastle is over. It is enjoyable, but I am trying to trim my monthlies and get trades of story arcs I enjoy.

Frankencastle trade comes out this month, in hardcover. I just don't know about buying the same story twice.

I should trade-wait Incognito.

DouglasDanger on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    dclee wrote: »
    Probably depends on the book but among the back-up stories I've seen they'd had no relation to the actual issue they're in.

They are usually at least about characters tangentially related to the main characters in the book.

Sort of.

Like, Blue Beetle had a backup in Booster Gold for a while because the previous BB and Booster were the best of friends. And Nomad used to be Captain America's teen sidekick. That kind of thing.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm honestly curious what the back-up in Spider-Girl is going to be.

Furu on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mayday Parker.

(Seriously, that'd be hilarious and cool.)

Munch on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, I just looked at the solicit for the Franken-Castle HC, and now I know what I'm going to do with some of the Amazon gift money I'm bound to get for Christmas.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That FrankenCastle hardcover does look like a great deal. You'd get the whole saga plus the DR: The List set-up issue and the last two Dark Wolverine tie-ins for around 25 bucks on Amazon which also means free shipping.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited August 2010
    The Frankencastle HC is one of the reasons I am trying to quit monthlies. Such a waste of money, so awkward to store, damn ads, etc.

DouglasDanger on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    On the other hand, we might have gotten substantially more Frankencastle stories if more folks had bought the floppies.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Meh, I'm beyond feeling responsible or holding others responsible for the failure of titles. I don't like buying singles any more, and I accept that my buying habits will not help inform comic publishers of what they should be publishing.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah. Every enlightened soul on this forum could buy Young Allies, Atlas, or Frankencastle, and there'd still be 40,000 screaming fanboys whining about minority heroes, Jeff Parker's pet characters, or crazy things happening in superhero comics, all of which preclude them from buying anything but X-Men, Avengers, and the latest event book.

Which they will also bitch about.

Munch on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Really, I think the actual content of books is the last thing Marvel and DC should look at when determining why their shit isn't selling. The issue is that floppies are completely unappealing to anyone who doesn't already have a closet full of long boxes. To everyone else, it's a shitty way of delivering a product, and they aren't going to buy a book delivered in that format regardless of how good it may be.

Robos A Go Go on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Are there dudes that complain about Jeff Parker having pet characters

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Are there dudes that complain about Jeff Parker having pet characters

If its part of comic books then someone will have bitched about it.

Solar on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Yeah. Every enlightened soul on this forum could buy Young Allies, Atlas, or Frankencastle, and there'd still be 40,000 screaming fanboys whining about minority heroes, Jeff Parker's pet characters, or crazy things happening in superhero comics, all of which preclude them from buying anything but X-Men, Avengers, and the latest event book.

Which they will also bitch about.

Depressingly true.

Furu on
    edited August 2010
    On the other hand, we might have gotten substantially more Frankencastle stories if more folks had bought the floppies.

I am buying all of Frankencastle.

Man, I wish Remender had been allowed to run wild with his ideas. He had "Frankencastle" sticking around for a long time, becoming a spirit of vengeance, using Pym particles repeatedly, all kinds of stuff.

DouglasDanger on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    On the other hand, I'm sure if the trades become hot enough, we'll be rewarded in the future with Frankencastle: The Lost Years or somesuch.

The industry is going to have to adapt in some way just because a large chunk of new readers are trade only, and many longtime readers are making that conversion.

HadjiQuest on