As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mortal Kombat HD Kollection

AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin KoopantinoRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Games and Technology
via TRMK
TRMK has independently confirmed with multiple industry sources that a high definition Mortal Kombat arcade update is indeed currently in development. Mortal Kombat HD Kollection will be a 2D Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection (MK1, MK2 and UMK3) featuring all-new high resolution in game graphics - not simply upscaled graphics, but sharp, crisp, awesome-looking High Definition graphics.

Unlike Capcom's Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix, which required new character drawings, remaking Mortal Kombat in high definition is not as easy. In order to properly recreate the series in HD, Warner Bros. needed to film actors performing the moves like they originally did 20 years ago, just now with better high-definition cameras. Resorting to hand-drawn characters, or using 3D models in place of real actors would just not look right and cause many fans to revolt. However, things are not as simple as that. Since the previous actors are now 20 years older and - in most cases - wouldn't look to be the right age in high definition, Warner Bros. has hired new actors for the various roles and have been busy capturing them over the past few months at a Warner Bros. Studio in Los Angeles. TRMK has also heard that some of the original cast is involved in the filming in some capacity as well.

Rumored release is holiday 2010 for PS3/360.

If the price is right, I will be all over this like white on rice.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
AbsoluteZero on

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Holy crap, they're actually using new actors to digitize brand new assets for the release? That's some goddamned dedication.

Zxerol on
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We'll see how it turns out. I hope they don't change the art or costumes too much.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm so onboard with HD digitized sprites. It's going to be like entering a parallel universe where game development followed a divergent path, someone coughed and stepped on a bug and everything went different.

-SPI- on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Impressive undertaking.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sounds interesting as a little experiment of sorts, but can't say I'm planning on buying it. I already played those games, bring on the new shit.

Also, remakes suck.

reVerse on
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    wow, I'm super impressed. Who would have guess that Warner Bros would be the best thing to happen to Mortal Kombat in over a decade.

I'm shocked that Warner Bros is turning out to be an awesome video game company. Like, really awesome.

TheSonicRetard on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This isn't true

It's impossible

It's too awesome

UnbreakableVow on
    edited August 2010
    When I first heard rumors of this kollection by way of the Bombcast, I just assumed that maybe Gerstmann got it wrong and it would be Deadly Alliance, Deception and Shaolin Monks, all cleaned up for 720p.

I didn't

I couldn't imagine this.

UnbreakableVow on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    wow, I'm super impressed. Who would have guess that Warner Bros would be the best thing to happen to Mortal Kombat in over a decade.

I'm shocked that Warner Bros is turning out to be an awesome video game company. Like, really awesome.

SirUltimos on
    edited August 2010
    SirUltimos wrote: »

what a grand coming out party Batman: Arkham Asylum was.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited August 2010
    Wait

I just remembered that I don't really like MK1 or UMK3 that much

But HD MKII with new actors is still awesome

It's the dedication here that really impresses me

UnbreakableVow on
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I need to see at least one screen, then I want to know how hard they're going to try to make these play like arcade perfect emulations.

But yeah, I'm all over this.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Technically it was F.E.A.R.

And isn't MK2 already on PSN with online play? How'd that work out?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited August 2010
    Wait

I actually dislike the MK3 engine a lot. I thought MK3 was a very disappointing game in the series, and even though I ate up UMK3, it was really only because I was stoked that so many characters were returning. By the time MKT rolled around, I was fed up with the engine entirely. I still played the shit out of it, though lol

MK1 is clunky as fuck. It's not very playable at all. I loved getting to reptile and stuff, but playing it today is like pulling teeth.

but MK2? That game is pure. fucking. fun. To this day, it is a model arcade game in my eyes. Easy to pick up, loads of fun to play, with a surprisingly deep juggle system when you learned the insides and out. And best of all it was packed to the fucking gills with secrets. This is the era when arcade games were so awesome because the internet didn't exist yet, and the secrets were teased all over the game. It kept you coming back not by being brutally hard, but by offering buckets of prizes under.

It's secrets are still awesome. TOASTY! Friendship?! Babality! Smoke! Jade! Noob saibot! FERGALITY!!

Awesome, awesome stuff. I'm definitely buying this game for MK2 alone.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited August 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Didn't know that was Warner Bros. IMO that just makes my stance on them being a fucking awesome video game company even more cemented.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited August 2010
    cj iwakura wrote: »

It's alright

I mean it's a straight arcade port, pretty much

But MK has become very much in tune with the idea of unlockables since Deadly Alliance hit, and I hope that mentality comes over to this one; leave the original games as untouched as possible, but give some neat incentives.

UnbreakableVow on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wait

I actually dislike the MK3 engine a lot. I thought MK3 was a very disappointing game in the series, and even though I ate up UMK3, it was really only because I was stoked that so many characters were returning. By the time MKT rolled around, I was fed up with the engine entirely. I still played the shit out of it, though lol

I also disliked MK3 and it's engine. The funny thing about it is that in those days I didn't even know terms like "engine", but despite that I felt very strongly that there was something annoying and wrong about the "technical essence" of the game.

edit: Also, fuck Stryker. Worst character in the series.

reVerse on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Please come to PC

I know I'll be disappointed.

I love the first three MK games so much, 3 being my favorite. Will definitely be checking this out, even if it has to be on my 360.

Sir Carcass on
  • PalomPalom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I haven't really been into fighting games for 15 years, but I gave in to SSF2THD Remix for the nostalgia, and from the sounds of it I'll give in to this, too.

Palom on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SSFII:HDR has a boatload of balance tweaks, which is fine, but I hope they do not do that with this one. MKII was reasonably balanced, as far as I can recall.

Also, mmmmmm, HD fatalities.

Also also, lol at calling drawing HD sprites 'the easy way.'

chamberlain on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It just occurred to me that if they are indeed refilming all the sprites with new actors, someone out there is going to have to make a shitload of costumes. Unless all the old ones are still sitting around in a warehouse somewhere.

This also makes me wonder how much asset sharing there is going to be between the 3 games. I liked that all the fighters had updated costumes from one game to the next. I think the games would lose a deal of differentiation if all 3 games used the same sprites.

This also means someone somewhere is going to have to do all new stop-motion animation for Goro, Kintaro and Motaro. Though I suppose they could just CG them... but that would be kinda lame.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This sounds pretty awesome. I wonder when it'll come out?

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited August 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Wait

I also disliked MK3 and it's engine. The funny thing about it is that in those days I didn't even know terms like "engine", but despite that I felt very strongly that there was something annoying and wrong about the "technical essence" of the game.

fun fact: stryker was what jax was originally

TheSonicRetard on
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Wait

fun fact: stryker was what jax was originally
    Haha and even beyond that apparently, Curtis Stryker was Jax, and Jax became Sonya (for the first game)!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Do we finally get Subzero's original fatality back? Please? (And the Genesis version looked like a dog vomited shit and put it in a cartridge, so NO it doesn't count)

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    edited August 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Do we finally get Subzero's original fatality back? Please? (And the Genesis version looked like a dog vomited shit and put it in a cartridge, so NO it doesn't count)

...you do know they had the spine rip (albeit censored) in UMK3 and also (uncensored) in MK4, right?

TheSonicRetard on
    edited August 2010
    I want it back in the original. Yes, I knew about the others. I want Subzero ripping a head off, spine and all, in the original.

I also want Han to shoot first, but we all know the chance we have of that being corrected.

Capt Howdy on
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just realised, now that the internet exists, I can find answers to all those really irritating questions I had about MKII as a kid!

Only problem is, I don't know where to start.... so much about that game baffled the fuck out of me. And that feeling of real mystery is something I miss about games these days. It gave the MK games a real sense of depth.
    Seriously though. Why "Toasty!" and who the fuck was that dude who appeared? Why? What?

What the hell?

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm gonna be the one to say it.

They're re-shooting the digital actors for all three games with a release for this winter?

I...guess it could happen. I want it to happen. I'd love to see it happen.

I'm just concerned that this smells a little too good to be true. I'd even go so far to suspect that 'remaking' this stuff, well, UMK3 was released in...1995? They might even have to relearn how to do some of this shit.

Linespider5 on
    edited August 2010

They're re-shooting the digital actors for all three games with a release for this winter?

I'm just concerned that this smells a little too good to be true. I'd even go so far to suspect that 'remaking' this stuff, well, UMK3 was released in...1995? They might even have to relearn how to do some of this shit.

They could do it, I'm assuming that they have been filming for a bit now even.

elliotw2 on
    edited August 2010
    I just realised, now that the internet exists, I can find answers to all those really irritating questions I had about MKII as a kid!

Only problem is, I don't know where to start.... so much about that game baffled the fuck out of me. And that feeling of real mystery is something I miss about games these days. It gave the MK games a real sense of depth.
    Seriously though. Why "Toasty!" and who the fuck was that dude who appeared? Why? What?

What the hell?

That's Dan "toasty" Fordan, the sound programmer for MK 1 and 2. He was given the nick name "toasty" supposedly because he'd yell that when Scorpion would do his fatality in MK2.

TheSonicRetard on
  • cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    I want it back in the original. Yes, I knew about the others. I want Subzero ripping a head off, spine and all, in the original.

I also want Han to shoot first, but we all know the chance we have of that being corrected.

The collector's edition of Deception came with a bonus disc with an arcade-perfect port of MK 1. I still have it, it's awesome.

cr0w on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »

Plus you know, MK1 had what, 4 or 5 actors total?

Let's see... Wikipedia says Sonya, Kano and Raiden were single actors while Liu Kang/Shang Tsung were one actor and Cage/Scorpion/Sub Zero were another.

EDIT: MK2 had 8 actors including 3 returning ones (Liu Kang, Cage and Raiden)

I'm not even going to try and count MK3 (which version do I count? UMK3? Trilogy? Original?)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited August 2010
    cr0w wrote: »

The collector's edition of Deception came with a bonus disc with an arcade-perfect port of MK 1. I still have it, it's awesome.

Nice. Thats the sort of swag a gamer can appreciate.

Capt Howdy on
    edited August 2010

What the hell?

That's Dan "toasty" Fordan, the sound programmer for MK 1 and 2. He was given the nick name "toasty" supposedly because he'd yell that when Scorpion would do his fatality in MK2.

So they just made him randomly pop up for no reason during fights? I seem to remember some rumour that went around in my school that when he popped up you could mash buttons to make .... something happen... ?

But anyway, cool. That's one down.

Now what was the deal with all those weird codes/symbols you could input in MK III?

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
    edited August 2010
    cr0w wrote: »

Nice. Thats the sort of swag a gamer can appreciate.

It's not quite arcade perfect, but it's closer than the MK2/3 versions that Midway put out on the Arcade Classic discs. Funny enough, the PC version works perfectly, but the PS2/Xbox versions have trouble with unlocking Smoke, and sound.

elliotw2 on
    edited August 2010

What the hell?

So they just made him randomly pop up for no reason during fights? I seem to remember some rumour that went around in my school that when he popped up you could mash buttons to make .... something happen... ?

Now what was the deal with all those weird codes/symbols you could input in MK III?

With regards to Dan Fordan, he only pops up when you uppercut someone. When he pops onto the screen, hold down on the joystick and slam the start button. If you're fast enough, you'll fight either smoke or jade depending on if the conditions are met.

The codes in MK III were the kombat kodes. They were basically the MK version of the match-up screen cheats from NBA Jam which gave you weird sets of rules, like no throws or extra life. When the ads for MK III ran before the game was released, if you looked in the backgrounds, they actually gave away all the codes. It was just another neat trick.

Now, at the end of a 1 player game, you got a chance to enter the Ultimate Kombat Kodes. This was an 12 symbol code which unlocked hidden characters. In vanilla MK III, it unlocked cyborg smoke. In UMK III, it unlocked Classic Sub Zero, Millena, and Ermac. Additionally, in UMKIII, you could unlock human smoke by holding low punch, low kick, and start when you selected cyborg smoke.

EDIT: Everything I'm mentioning above, I didn't find out via the internet. I found out via magazines at the time. It was such a different time during the fight game craze. Magazines loved it because they became invaluable if you wanted to understand these games. You were basically rewarded for buying magazines haha.

TheSonicRetard on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

What the hell?

Actually... yes. If you fought on the Portal stage (Background shows a big portal with a couple of flying guards next to it) and pressed both players' start buttons when he popped up you would fight Smoke.

Or was that MK3?

EDIT: Beaten by sonic...

My favorite code (and the first I learned) was Ranaper Kombat. You get a new random character every 5 seconds or so. Same life bar, but you would just become a new character.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited August 2010

What the hell?

With regards to Dan Fordan, he only pops up when you uppercut someone. When he pops onto the screen, hold down on the joystick and slam the start button. If you're fast enough, you'll fight either smoke or jade depending on if the conditions are met.

The codes in MK III were the kombat kodes. They were basically the MK version of the match-up screen cheats from NBA Jam which gave you weird sets of rules, like no throws or extra life. When the ads for MK III ran before the game was released, if you looked in the backgrounds, they actually gave away all the codes. It was just another neat trick.

Now, at the end of a 1 player game, you got a chance to enter the Ultimate Kombat Kodes. This was an 12 symbol code which unlocked hidden characters. In vanilla MK III, it unlocked cyborg smoke. In UMK III, it unlocked Classic Sub Zero, Millena, and Ermac. Additionally, in UMKIII, you could unlock human smoke by holding low punch, low kick, and start when you selected cyborg smoke.

EDIT: Everything I'm mentioning above, I didn't find out via the internet. I found out via magazines at the time. It was such a different time during the fight game craze. Magazines loved it because they became invaluable if you wanted to understand these games. You were basically rewarded for buying magazines haha.

You're totally giving me closure on so many childhood mysteries.

And I kind of miss the times you're describing. Even though I found it infuriating at the time - It was sort of rad that there were secrets in these games that I might never, ever get to the bottom of.

Remember when Magazines used to come with Cheat Books? Those things were like gold dust.

Thanks to the internet, I suppose we're never going to have these things ever again.

I heard in MKII you could turn your opponent into a little dude with some guys giant head on top? I now assume that guy would be a member of the dev team or something?

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nocren wrote: »
    elliotw2 wrote: »

Plus you know, MK1 had what, 4 or 5 actors total?

Let's see... Wikipedia says Sonya, Kano and Raiden were single actors while Liu Kang/Shang Tsung were one actor and Cage/Scorpion/Sub Zero were another.

EDIT: MK2 had 8 actors including 3 returning ones (Liu Kang, Cage and Raiden)

I'm not even going to try and count MK3 (which version do I count? UMK3? Trilogy? Original?)

AND HERE IT STARTS.

(sorry.)

We're going Hi Def with these shots. So, where is the line drawn? Do we try to use 4 actors for all of MK1? How obvious does it look? Do we try to get away with palette swapping the ninja again? What about Baraka? Dude was a cheap mask made out of lady's press-on nails for teeth. Do we try get away with the same mask, or is it gonna look crap? Is the projectile animation stuff going to look right against highly improved digitized actors?

I'm looking down this project and seeing all kinds of different snags that can fuck over production/cause reshoots, and at the same time seeing a billion awesome things they could try to do just because they can. I, for one, would love to see them make really high-scale costumes, redesigned but based off the originals in terms of colour use and general shape.

Then there's Goro. I know and we all know Ed Boon has the Goro armature somewhere safe, so they can wheel him out and reshoot him and everything. Or do we try and CGI Goro now? Is that better? Will the Hi Def shots of the armature look crap and betray the scale? Ok. Does a computer generated Goro look right next to a digital actor?

Shang Tsung's morph, anyone? The morph we still can't do in the 3d games? I mean, there is an engine, underneath those sprites and parallax backgrounds, that would need to be overhauled to handle higher resolution images and animations. I seem to recall that the Streetfighter HD project seriously scaled back their ambitions in the art, and it's debatable which group would have the bigger undertaking, but these are both big projects.

I just want more information, I guess. I don't need technical stuff, if a team says they're taking this beast on, good for them. It just seems like a serious project to me, fraught with decisions that could sink the whole endeavor.

Linespider5 on