As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mortal Kombat HD Kollection

• cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    I just realised, now that the internet exists, I can find answers to all those really irritating questions I had about MKII as a kid!

Only problem is, I don't know where to start.... so much about that game baffled the fuck out of me. And that feeling of real mystery is something I miss about games these days. It gave the MK games a real sense of depth.
    Seriously though. Why "Toasty!" and who the fuck was that dude who appeared? Why? What?

What the hell?

That's Dan "toasty" Fordan, the sound programmer for MK 1 and 2. He was given the nick name "toasty" supposedly because he'd yell that when Scorpion would do his fatality in MK2.

So they just made him randomly pop up for no reason during fights? I seem to remember some rumour that went around in my school that when he popped up you could mash buttons to make .... something happen... ?

But anyway, cool. That's one down.

Now what was the deal with all those weird codes/symbols you could input in MK III?

With regards to Dan Fordan, he only pops up when you uppercut someone. When he pops onto the screen, hold down on the joystick and slam the start button. If you're fast enough, you'll fight either smoke or jade depending on if the conditions are met.

The codes in MK III were the kombat kodes. They were basically the MK version of the match-up screen cheats from NBA Jam which gave you weird sets of rules, like no throws or extra life. When the ads for MK III ran before the game was released, if you looked in the backgrounds, they actually gave away all the codes. It was just another neat trick.

Now, at the end of a 1 player game, you got a chance to enter the Ultimate Kombat Kodes. This was an 12 symbol code which unlocked hidden characters. In vanilla MK III, it unlocked cyborg smoke. In UMK III, it unlocked Classic Sub Zero, Millena, and Ermac. Additionally, in UMKIII, you could unlock human smoke by holding low punch, low kick, and start when you selected cyborg smoke.

EDIT: Everything I'm mentioning above, I didn't find out via the internet. I found out via magazines at the time. It was such a different time during the fight game craze. Magazines loved it because they became invaluable if you wanted to understand these games. You were basically rewarded for buying magazines haha.

I remember checking out the EGM (I think?) that had the first big story on MK3, and being SO EXCITED by the first shots of the vs. screen, with the HOLY SHIT THEY LOOK REAL shots of the actors facing off.

cr0w on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow I can't believe there is something UV, TSR, and I all agree on. MK 1 and MK3 (and all of its spinoffs) are garbage compared to the near perfection of MK2. 2 just had the right mix of new characters, interesting secrets, and a smooth engine that just worked.

Also of note, the DOS version of MK 2 is really pretty good!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just realised, now that the internet exists, I can find answers to all those really irritating questions I had about MKII as a kid!

Only problem is, I don't know where to start.... so much about that game baffled the fuck out of me. And that feeling of real mystery is something I miss about games these days. It gave the MK games a real sense of depth.
    Seriously though. Why "Toasty!" and who the fuck was that dude who appeared? Why? What?

What the hell?

That's Dan "toasty" Fordan, the sound programmer for MK 1 and 2. He was given the nick name "toasty" supposedly because he'd yell that when Scorpion would do his fatality in MK2.

So they just made him randomly pop up for no reason during fights? I seem to remember some rumour that went around in my school that when he popped up you could mash buttons to make .... something happen... ?

But anyway, cool. That's one down.

Now what was the deal with all those weird codes/symbols you could input in MK III?

With regards to Dan Fordan, he only pops up when you uppercut someone. When he pops onto the screen, hold down on the joystick and slam the start button. If you're fast enough, you'll fight either smoke or jade depending on if the conditions are met.

The codes in MK III were the kombat kodes. They were basically the MK version of the match-up screen cheats from NBA Jam which gave you weird sets of rules, like no throws or extra life. When the ads for MK III ran before the game was released, if you looked in the backgrounds, they actually gave away all the codes. It was just another neat trick.

Now, at the end of a 1 player game, you got a chance to enter the Ultimate Kombat Kodes. This was an 12 symbol code which unlocked hidden characters. In vanilla MK III, it unlocked cyborg smoke. In UMK III, it unlocked Classic Sub Zero, Millena, and Ermac. Additionally, in UMKIII, you could unlock human smoke by holding low punch, low kick, and start when you selected cyborg smoke.

EDIT: Everything I'm mentioning above, I didn't find out via the internet. I found out via magazines at the time. It was such a different time during the fight game craze. Magazines loved it because they became invaluable if you wanted to understand these games. You were basically rewarded for buying magazines haha.

You're totally giving me closure on so many childhood mysteries.

And I kind of miss the times you're describing. Even though I found it infuriating at the time - It was sort of rad that there were secrets in these games that I might never, ever get to the bottom of.

Remember when Magazines used to come with Cheat Books? Those things were like gold dust.

Thanks to the internet, I suppose we're never going to have these things ever again.

I heard in MKII you could turn your opponent into a little dude with some guys giant head on top? I now assume that guy would be a member of the dev team or something?

This is only in the Sega Genesis version of the game, and it's called a Fergality. You had to be Raiden and have the cheat menu enabled, and you had to do the finishing move in the Armory stage.

The dude you turn into... something Fergason, he was the CEO of Probe at the time, who did the genesis port.

504836-fergality_large.jpg

TheSonicRetard on
    edited August 2010
    Wow I can't believe there is something UV, TSR, and I all agree on. MK 1 and MK3 (and all of its spinoffs) are garbage compared to the near perfection of MK2. 2 just had the right mix of new characters, interesting secrets, and a smooth engine that just worked.

Also of note, the DOS version of MK 2 is really pretty good!

Hell fucking yes it was:

img0254j.jpg

All the dos ports were great. Midway released some awesome dos ports back in the day - WWF Wrestlemania the arcade game was similarly good. They ruled because they were so so SO close to being arcade perfect. The only real downside is that the gravis gamepad only had 4 buttons, so they had to make a few concessions. They either combined the High punch and low punch buttons, or the high kick and low kick buttons... I can't remember which.

Regardless, it was a super accurate port, and I played the shit out of it.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think it was kick.

I had it running in dosbox the other day and man I had forgotten how good it was.

The sound is really close too.

I can remember many summer days fighting with my brother and sister over which half of the keyboard we got until eventually I sprung for 2 gravis's myself. Still have them around somewhere despite how useless they now are.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited August 2010
    I think it was kick.

I had it running in dosbox the other day and man I had forgotten how good it was.

The sound is really close too.

I can remember many summer days fighting with my brother and sister over which half of the keyboard we got until eventually I sprung for 2 gravis's myself. Still have them around somewhere despite how useless they now are.

I'm thinking it was the kick as well because I seem to remember needing to press down and back to do a sweep instead of just back and low kick.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited August 2010
    So speaking of Mortal Kombat secrets... does anybody remember Secret Sonya?

Talk about a very obscure secret.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Ooh, yeah. Green Sonya at the bottom of the pit, with a ring toss freeze move. I seem to recall that was exclusive to the Genesis?

Linespider5 on
    edited August 2010

Ooh, yeah. Green Sonya at the bottom of the pit, with a ring toss freeze move. I seem to recall that was exclusive to the Genesis?

Yup, it's actually a glitch. You have to have everything right, and get to Reptile during an endurance match. Once you beat him, Secret Sonya would show up.

She was hard as fuck. Surprisingly, this glitch isn't even in the Sega CD version of the game.

How about Pong Kombat from MK2?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It would be nice to play as MK 1 Reptile. I was so stoked to hear he was going to be in MK II, and then really disappointed he wasn't yellow+blue=Green.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    edited August 2010
    man, talking about MK II brings me back to the days where I could spend weeks dissecting every single game that came my way. If I owned it during that time, I knew EVERYTHING about it. I wouldn't just beat the game, I'd own it inside and out. Double flawless reptile in MK1 and stuff.

I miss those days, I just don't have the time for that now.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited August 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    It would be nice to play as MK 1 Reptile. I was so stoked to hear he was going to be in MK II, and then really disappointed he wasn't yellow+blue=Green.

To be fair, though, it's obvious why they changed him in MK2. If he was just sub zero and scorpion combined, why would anybody ever be those two characters?

anywho, thats why I always played as Shang Tsung in MK2. I only really used two morphs - block up up, and forward down forward high punch. Haha.

TheSonicRetard on
  • RaughnRaughn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    man, talking about MK II brings me back to the days where I could spend weeks dissecting every single game that came my way. If I owned it during that time, I knew EVERYTHING about it. I wouldn't just beat the game, I'd own it inside and out. Double flawless reptile in MK1 and stuff.

I miss those days, I just don't have the time for that now.

Funny, MKII is the one game that always gets me thinking the exact same way. Well, not the part where I was any good, but I'll boot it up on my PS3 every now and then and be amazed that I once had every fatality, friendship, etc. memorized. Now I need a printout from GameFAQs. That stuff just isn't a smooth when you have to read it before the match.

Also, woo HD digitized sprites. This shit is going to look crazy.

Raughn on
    edited August 2010
    250 wins in Mk2 arcade.

edit: man, a guy takes a shower and ends up on page three. Pong in Mortal Kombat 2.

Linespider5 on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I remember being the same way about MK2 on SNES. I made up a mode called Shang Tsung's Rise to Power.
    Basically, pick Shang and pick the hardest difficulty. And you can only morp into an enemy you defeated with the Soul Drain fatality (so first match, you couldn't morp). I had EVERYTHING memorized for that game because of doing stuff like that.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think I'll bust out my Saturn version again, and see how many wins I can get with the game's crazy AI

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited August 2010
    Wasn't every Shang morph a corresponding character's fatality? I thought that was a great idea on somebody's part.

Linespider5 on
  • cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Being a kid growing up on a military base in Illinois, I didn't really have access to any arcades when MKII came out, so I spent pretty much all of my free time staring at the move/fatality guide in an issue of GamePro, which had awesome sequential screens for all the moves and combos and such. It was such an awesome day when the home port finally came out. I had moved to California between the arcade and home ports, and being that I was fairly new in town when it came out, I spent a ridiculous amount of time learning the ins and outs of the game. It's amazing how much I've forgotten about it since then.

I remember going apeshit when I finally pulled off Shang's Kintaro fatality.

cr0w on
    edited August 2010
    Wasn't every Shang morph a corresponding character's fatality? I thought that was a great idea on somebody's part.

Yup! That's actually how I found his morphs - I remember morphing into scorpion on accident and immediately realizing it was his fatality. This was before gamepro printed any move sheets, so I tried sub zero's fatality next and it worked. It made me a master of Shang Tsung right away.

Speaking of the Kintaro fatality, I picked up the SNES version not too long ago and I was surprised to learn that his inside-out fatality had been replaced by the Kintaro fatality. By which I mean the one where he jumped inside the person and exploded them inside out. The Kintaro fatality was a secret third one in the arcade, where you had to hold low punch for 30 seconds, meaning you had to hold it during the round. The inside-out one was holding low kick for 5 seconds outside of sweep range.

In the SNES version, holding low kick for 5 seconds does the Kintaro fatality. So is the inside-out fatality even in the game?

TheSonicRetard on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Yup! That's actually how I found his morphs - I remember morphing into scorpion on accident and immediately realizing it was his fatality. This was before gamepro printed any move sheets, so I tried sub zero's fatality next and it worked. It made me a master of Shang Tsung right away.

Speaking of the Kintaro fatality, I picked up the SNES version not too long ago and I was surprised to learn that his inside-out fatality had been replaced by the Kintaro fatality. By which I mean the one where he jumped inside the person and exploded them inside out. The Kintaro fatality was a secret third one in the arcade, where you had to hold low punch for 30 seconds, meaning you had to hold it during the round. The inside-out one was holding low kick for 5 seconds outside of sweep range.

In the SNES version, holding low kick for 5 seconds does the Kintaro fatality. So is the inside-out fatality even in the game?

It is. I think you hold High Kick for 2-3 seconds.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I seem to recall that you had to hold down LK for like 30 seconds to turn into Kintaro on the SNES.

Edit: Ah-hah!
    Fatality 1- hold X (2 seconds) then release
    (Shang Tsung turns into a mist and enters the victims body,
    which explodes. Stand just within sweep range.)

Fatality 2- U, D, U, A (hold BLOCK)
    (Tsung picks up the victim with one hand, and drains their
    life force into his other hand. Stand close.)

Fatality 3- hold B (30 seconds) then release
    (Shang Tsung turns into Kintaro, who punches the torso of
    the victim across the screen. If you hold B from
    before the round begins, you do not need to wait the full
    30 seconds to do the fatality.)

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Funny enough, the PC version works perfectly, but the PS2/Xbox versions have trouble with unlocking Smoke, and sound.

I totally bought that when it came out, even though I didn't have enough RAM to run it. $300 later, I had an extra 2MB bringing me up to a whopping 4. I played the shit out of it, using the keyboard.

I remember a couple of months after MK1 hit the arcades, there was an issue of EGM that listed all of the moves, including fatalities. I painstakingly wrote them down on a sheet of paper and carried that thing with me all the time because you never knew when there would be a Mortal Kombat emergency. It was always a hit at the arcade with dudes that didn't get the magazines.

Sir Carcass on
    edited August 2010
    Funny enough, the PC version works perfectly, but the PS2/Xbox versions have trouble with unlocking Smoke, and sound.

I totally bought that when it came out, even though I didn't have enough RAM to run it. $300 later, I had an extra 2MB bringing me up to a whopping 4. I played the shit out of it, using the keyboard.

Nah, I don't mean the original DOS releases, Midway put out a collection of their best old arcade games for PC/Console in 2004 or so, calling it Midway Arcade Treasures, with the console versions having all kinds of emulation problems. The DOS versions are pretty good though.

elliotw2 on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I really hope Shang Tsung works the way he is supposed to in the remakes.

chamberlain on
    edited August 2010

I really hope Shang Tsung works the way he is supposed to in the remakes.

If it's a downloadable release, he will, else there might be slight load times.

elliotw2 on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Nah, I don't mean the original DOS releases, Midway put out a collection of their best old arcade games for PC/Console in 2004 or so, calling it Midway Arcade Treasures, with the console versions having all kinds of emulation problems. The DOS versions are pretty good though.

Well, the original DOS release seemed pretty arcade perfect to me.

Sir Carcass on
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow... those were the fucking days. I remember the very first picture I ever saw of MK1 was in an issue of EGM, before the game actually launched. I think it was Sonya facing off against Sub Zero. When my local arcade got it, there was a crowd of people ten deep surrounding it. You could beat Goro by spamming punch: he'd get hit once and stay just out of range til the round ended. And there was no ending; beat the game, go instantly back to the start screen.

Ah, I miss being a teenager. The golden era of modern gaming.

Fawst on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I knew Mortal Kombat was going to be a game I'd like when I found out that there's a ninja called Scorpion in it. Me and my friends used to play ninjas and my "ninja name" was Scorpion.

Also, I was good at MK1. I remember playing with some friends and after I had a win streak of 20 or so they started yanking the controller and everything to distract me.

Damn that was a long time ago.

reVerse on
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I picked up MK for the megadrive for 1 pound at a car boot sale.

The guy couldn't have known what it was, selling it for a pound like that.

Me and brother played the shit out of it, and thought it was wonderful.

And then my dad's friend told us about the gore code and it became an all new game for us. Like, the most amazing, violent game-we-shouldn't-be-playing game ever.

Good times.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mortal Kombat as a kid for me was a good experience until my friends no longer enjoyed getting a smack down. I feel bad for anyone who had that game but no one to play against. The AI was all reactive and a classic example of bullshit and a quarter thief. I'll probably pick this up in hopes the online community has someone there for me to fight.

DekuStick on
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcGaveHpEy8

Skip to about 1:36. This commercial blew my mind as a kid. I couldn't believe someone actually made a production look THAT GOOD for a commercial for a game.

Fawst on
  • PacifistPacifist Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is what I've been DREAMING of ever since MK4. Good show, WB. Good show.

Pacifist on
    XBL: Pacifist NJ
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

I used to do the Kintaro fatality on people twice my age. :lol: It was great. I'd win using just kicks, then BAM.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My memories of Mortal Kombat involve my older brother kicking my ass as Scorpion, followed by him pulling off the Flame-Breath Fatality without even trying. Sometimes, he'd even take a couple seconds just to remember the input.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Speaking of Digitised actors, you guys all seen this Raw MK1 footage? Something about seeing the Johnny Cage I know so well move smoothly is breaking my mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk6N2nUpUdw&feature=related

-SPI- on
    edited August 2010
    Wow, that's pretty awesome.

Sir Carcass on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There's a whole bunch of those up on YouTube. One of the MK staff put em up.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You guys are making me remember how bad I was into Mortal Kombat back in the day. I had the coolest Sub-Zero t-shirt and a paper binder with all the MK characters on it that I'd just sit at the back of class and trace all day because that's how kids drew damnit.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    darklite_x wrote: »
    You guys are making me remember how bad I was into Mortal Kombat back in the day. I had the coolest Sub-Zero t-shirt and a paper binder with all the MK characters on it that I'd just sit at the back of class and trace all day because that's how kids drew damnit.

I traced the characters using the Prima strategy guides

The ones that didn't tell you how to do certain fatalities even though you bought the guide, and told you to check them out online at their official website

But it was 1996 and the Internet was a strange new thing to me back then

UnbreakableVow on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, it didn't take long for that video to get taken down.

BloodySloth on