As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

City of Herpes: Going Rogue: TANKS OWN, DEAL W/IT

DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
edited September 2010 in Social Entropy++
OH HEY EVERYBODY City of Heroes just put out its second expansion:

goingrogue.jpg

City of Heroes: Going Rogue!

Now, I know what you're saying. This fucking game is six years old! And I didn't like it when it was new! Well, first of all, you are a walking butt person. That is a given. Second of all, this new expansion is fucking crazy.

WHAT IS THIS NEW EXPANSION AND WHY IS IT FUCKING CRAZY

Well, first of all, Going Rogue adds a kind of morality system to City of Heroes, allowing your existing heroes and villains to undertake a series of missions and eventually redeem themselves, or fall to corruption. Heroes that fall become Vigilantes, and may visit the Rogue Isles and do all sorts of villain content. Villains that redeem themselves become Rogues, and may visit Paragon City to do all sorts of hero content.

The coolest thing about Going Rogue, however, is the opportunity to start your game in Praetoria, an alternate Earth that, on the surface, appears to be a utopia ruled by the benevolent Emperor Cole. BUT ALL IS NOT AS IT SEEMS. After a brief tutorial, you're given a choice: join the Loyalists, and fight to maintain the status quo, or join the Resistance, in an effort to topple the tyrannical regime.

These missions often have TOUGH MORAL CHOICES for you to make, and it's not always clear which side is actually correct. For instance, while the Empire is notorious for murdering traitors and beating up suspects, the Resistance plots to blow up hospitals. THEY'RE ALL ASSHOLES, BASICALLY. Also, they've added branching dialog trees and missions WHICH IS PRETTY COOL.

They've also added some new power sets. Every class has access to one. There are four new sets: Kinetic Melee (which is some sort of mind kung fu???), Electric Control (which I guess is you controlling things which electricity??), Dual Pistols (IT'S TWO PISTOLS) and Demon Summoning (YOU SUMMON DEMONS AND WHIP SHIT).

So obviously this expansion is crammed full of stuff!

BUT CITY OF HEROES HAS SHITTY MISSIONS

Well yeah, the classic City of Heroes stuff is dated and crappy. But they've been improving in quality ever since City of Villains, and the new missions in Going Rogue are on new instance maps and are more dynamic. Plus, you can break a dude's hand to get your answers, and then break his other hand just to see if he'll stop talking like a jackass.
PROTIP: HE WILL

You can also take bribes from CEOs, or turn against your allies, or sabotage your own missions as a kind of double agent.

OKAY BUT HOW DO I MAKE MY HERO A VILLAIN BECAUSE PARAGON CITY SUCKS

Enemies above level 20 will drop "Tips," which lead to "Tip Missions." After you do a certain number of these (say, 10), you are given a "Morality Mission." At the end of this mission, you're given a choice that will either reaffirm your status as a hero or villain, or let you change sides. I haven't done this yet, but I've heard they're pretty rad. And if you maintain that alignment for seven days, you get a neat bonus power.

Heroes or villains that switch sides get access to both hero AND villain content. Heroes or villains that maintain their alignment earn some kind of points they can use to purchase rare gear without having to suffer through random drops.

OKAY THAT STUFF IS COOL AND NEW AND ALL BUT I HAVEN'T PLAYED IN A DOG'S AGE WHAT ELSE IS NEW

A lot of stuff. Like, so much stuff. All of the stuff. They've added the Invention System, which is basically crafting. You can make Enhancements and Temporary Powers and Costume Pieces and such. They've added the Mission Architect, which allows you to create your own story arcs and missions. You can then publish these missions for other people to play. The Fifth Column, a bunch of fucking NAZIS are finally back in the game for you to punch in the face repeatedly. You can team up with your enemies to go back to ancient Rome to fight Nazi Aliens. You can go back in time to do missions you've missed, or go further back in time to repair the time stream. There's a giant UFO crash site filled with hostile aliens that you can fight for new gear and costume pieces. THERE'S PROBABLY MORE BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW LONG YOU HAVEN'T BEEN PLAYING.

Oh right they updated the graphics so now it has reflections and real time shadows and shit. Like, even your costume might reflect shit. IT'S NUTS.

OKAY SO HOW DO I GET IN ON THIS SHIT

You can order the expansion online, through NCSoft's store, if you already have the base game. Or you can buy the complete edition at fine retailers everywhere, which contains the entire game and both expansions (although City of Villains went free a while ago), plus bonus costumes and a free month. And the Complete Edition is on sale for $30 at Best Buy this week, which is A PRETTY GOOD DEAL.

There's also a free trial you can get through the NCSoft or City of Heroes site? It's seven days and the accounts are pretty gimped, but you can check out the rad new Praetorian stuff, at least.

OKAY HOW DO I PLAY WITH YOU DUDES IN THIS THING

Most PA dudes have characters on Virtue. A lot of people are messing around with the new Praetoria stuff or trying to change alignments with their older characters right now, but there's generally a pretty good range of people at different levels. BE WARNED this expansion has made it so these servers are no longer empty like they were, like, last week. THERE ARE EVEN QUEUES TO GET IN SOMETIMES.

If you want to talk to PA dudes or get in a Super Group, just join the PA global chat channel. You can do this from any server you want, that's why it's called Global Chat. Here is how, crossposted from the MMO forum thread:
To join simply type /chanjoin "Penny Arcade" and hit enter. Then right click a chat tab, click edit, and add Penny Arcade to the tab.

A useful bind is /bind l beginchat /send "Penny Arcade" This way every time you hit l (or any key you choose) it lets you talk to every member of the PAcrew who is on, no matter what character they are playing as. Alternatively, you can just right click on the chat window and select the Penny Arcade channel and type away.

IT'S JUST THAT SIMPLE.

You can also transfer characters from different servers for free until the 23rd. There's instructions on the main site, I think.

I'm going to drop a link the the OP of the MMO forum thread, because it has some more in depth info there.

DJ Eebs on

• Solid BonesSolid Bones Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I totally forgot this game existed.

Solid Bones on
    Tea and Scrabble
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    oh god i am tempted to do this

i haven't played in soooooo looonnngg

Sars_Boy on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited August 2010
    policebrutality.jpg

POLICE BRUTALITY

DJ Eebs on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i am downlaoding the free trial

it downloads SO SLOW ARGH WHAT

Raneados on
  • JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, does Martial Arts still suck balls for Scrappers? If so, no sale.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ACTUALLY FUCK I JUST GOT SOME CASH FROM MY UNCLE

uuurrrrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh might buy everything

Raneados on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    oh no

ill spend like 12 hours in the character creator you CAN'T DO THIS TO ME, man

Projeck on
    edited August 2010
    CoH was probably my favorite MMO of all time

I remember first getting it back before i even started college

my computer had a SHITTY on-board graphics card. Everything was a light washe dout purple

every

thing

buildings, people, enemies, characters

all were washed out shades of purple

i still PLAYED THAT SHIT ALL THE TIME

Raneados on
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I used to play, will they give me everything for free and never charge me any money ever again?

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited August 2010
    I think I still have my character from the Zombie Presidents team. George Washingtron.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

edited August 2010
    no but there are veteran rewards and they bugged out and gave everyone extra months of credit for some reason and they just left it so you might have, like, samurai armor or something

DJ Eebs on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Started playing today. Love the power customization stuff. Yes finally I can have a laser sword and a rifle that isn't ridiculous looking.

Jasconius on
    edited August 2010
    creepyrobots.jpg

CHECK OUT THIS CREEPY ROBOT

DJ Eebs on
    edited August 2010
    argh don't do this to me geebs

aaaargh

Raneados on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So you're saying that it might be worth playing past the character creator now?

captaink on
    edited August 2010
    runway.jpg

I'M TOO SEXY FOR THIS REFERENCE TO FINISH

DJ Eebs on
    edited August 2010
    captaink wrote: »
    So you're saying that it might be worth playing past the character creator now?

eff you it always was

Raneados on
    edited August 2010
    ugh seriously though this thing updates BALLS slow

74 kb/s

GRARGH

WHAT YEAR IS IT FUCKING 74kb/s

Raneados on
    edited August 2010
    i kind of lost interest in D&D online

but i <3 this game already and i know i'll love ittttt argh

Raneados on
    edited August 2010
    I would at least check out the trial just to see the new praetoria stuff

DJ Eebs on
    edited August 2010
    i'm trying!

it's slow to update, sir

5 hours left

and if I quit it to you know

sleep

it has to "fix" all the files or some BULLSHIT

Raneados on
    edited August 2010
    can't you just leave it running while you sleep?

DJ Eebs on
    edited August 2010
    i can't sleep with a running computer in the room

I am picky about falling asleep

Raneados on
    edited August 2010
    why is your computer so loud?!?!

DJ Eebs on
  • FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Im sure your computer would agree to just walking, if you asked it to

Franko on
    edited August 2010
    why is your computer so loud?!?!

no it's not the computer, it's me

i cannot DEAL with basically ANY noise when I'm trying to sleep

Raneados on
    edited August 2010
    white noise annoys me

Raneados on
    edited August 2010
    no it's still someone fucking TALKING while i'm trying to SLEEP

I'd still listen to it and keep awake

I've never had a problem going to sleep if there's nothing going on

I'm one of those people that just shuts their eyes and is out in under a minute

Raneados on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My name on these boards comes from my main character on CoH, which I beta'd for and played the hell out of for a couple of years. He's on Victory, though.

Langly on
    edited August 2010
    langly there are free server transfers until the 23rd

DJ Eebs on
    edited August 2010
    langly there are free server transfers until the 23rd

I'll have to buy and reactivate my account before then

I had one or two decent level dudes

how much are transfers usually if I miss that deadline

Raneados on
    edited August 2010
    I want to say $10 but I don't know for sure

DJ Eebs on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    eh, I've never had enough fun with this game to want to pay any more money into it

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Dang that is heck of tempting.

Is there still no endgame except for hamidon the giant amoeba? (And 7 hour long task force missions)

Langly on
  • Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    Dang that is heck of tempting.

Is there still no endgame except for hamidon the giant amoeba? (And 7 hour long task force missions)

No, but issue 19(next issue) is the incarnate system which is all endgame. Basically taking your dude and making him a god.
    The system will be comprised of new content, abilities, and rewards for level 50 characters. As player characters work through the content, they will be given rewards to unlock special enhancement slots and special salvage to craft Incarnate enhancements that will give global bonuses to Level 50 characters. In turn, these characters will need the added abilities in order to work through subsequent and more difficult content.

Gear Girl on
    edited August 2010
    Charles Langly will ascend

Langly on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    city of heroes was vent's crowning moment

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I want to say $10 but I don't know for sure

You are correct.

Gear Girl on
    edited August 2010
    I need to see if this will run on my nettop

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    shut up projeck