As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[!] Metal Gear Solid Mega-thread.

• Options
    HamareHamare Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Man this dude-hunt is getting tedious. Some of the extra ops you need to do to trigger them are harder than the end game story missions.

peace walker is out here?

... yes? I got mine on June 16th (at least, that's when I did the data install according to my PSP). So 2 months ago.

I'm basically permanently out of touch with...anything.

I only realized it was out when I saw the Metal Gear coloured PSP for sale..

Hamare on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It got a pretty quiet release over here. When I went looking for it, EB didn't even have it on the shelf on release day. Pisses me off too, because it's quite possibly the best game on the system right now.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It got a pretty quiet release over here. When I went looking for it, EB didn't even have it on the shelf on release day. Pisses me off too, because it's quite possibly the best game on the system right now.

Well it's not like anyone owns a PSP over here anyway. I asked in EB, JBHifi, and Dick Smith for a memory stick for it and none had one. Half the stores I've been in don't even bother stocking PSPs anymore.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Well it's not like anyone owns a PSP over here anyway. I asked in EB, JBHifi, and Dick Smith for a memory stick for it and none had one. Half the stores I've been in don't even bother stocking PSPs anymore.

That's odd, since the memory sticks are used in every Sony device. That they didn't have any is worrying, and not really indicative of how many PSPs are out there over here (in relation to JB and Dick Smiths anyway). That just tells me the staff were morons and didn't realize that it used Memory Stick Pro Duos.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    AzadIsCoolAzadIsCool Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Because nobody cares about the PC. It's dead, you know.

I still believe

AzadIsCool on
    leftaq.jpgcenterv.jpgrightz.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010

That's odd, since the memory sticks are used in every Sony device. That they didn't have any is worrying, and not really indicative of how many PSPs are out there over here (in relation to JB and Dick Smiths anyway). That just tells me the staff were morons and didn't realize that it used Memory Stick Pro Duos.

Well, I knew that they were Memory Stick Pro Duos and that's what I was asking for. EB said that they hadn't stocked them for a year or so, JB said they'd never stocked any, and I found an empty spot of shelf at Dick Smith with an MSPD label on it but the guy said they'd been out for months and not bothered to order any in because nobody bought them.
    In the end I got an adaptor and chucked some Micro SD cards in, just so that Sony doesn't get any money for their stupid special hardware.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wow, you go to some odd stores. Every JB and Dick Smiths I go to, they have rows of MSPDs. Hell, even Office Works has them.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    AzadIsCool wrote: »

I still believe

21lk3s7.jpg

Monger on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

I still believe

21lk3s7.jpg

There's that company that anal probed me! Well actually that's just a nice way of saying, "Fucked in the ass."

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man this dude-hunt is getting tedious. Some of the extra ops you need to do to trigger them are harder than the end game story missions.

They're not too bad, at least you don't necessarily have to beat some of the second and custom versions of the bosses.

Which are ridiculously and unnecessarily hard.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Maybe it was just me, but the equipment unlocks for progressively better gear tended to make the harder things a bit more manageable. Tougher vehicles, sure, but better launchers/guns/mines,etc.

I mean, some of the missions are still hard, but a bit less hard when you're using a gatling gun and railgun instead of an M16 and LAW. Or upgraded versions of guns that have silencers won't break after 3 shots. :P

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    still haven't gotten the railgun yet :<

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Only problem with it is it being a co-op weapon. Using it solo doesn't do a good deal of damage, but with another player or two.....

Once shot a helicopter in co-op, single shot took off almost all the health and forced the captain out. It was hilarious.

I'm still trying to get a sling band to try the slingshot. And while I got the EM gun, I haven't found anyone to use it with yet.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    They're not tied to anything. But they're still Metal Gear games, awesome, and even more batshit crazy than the canon series. For pure guano to sanity ratio, AC!D is where it's at.

The_Spaniard knows what's up. Now I feel like playing AC!D 2 again!

If you start playing again type in TheSpaniard in the code screen to unlock the card I designed for the game.

For serious? That's awesome. Now I'm definitely going to have to try it out.

It better spawn a gun that shoots out smaller guns that shoots out tiny bears, or I'll be slightly disappointed. :P
    You better post your thoughts when you unlock it.

Sorry it took awhile for me to try, but:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

I love it! That's hilarious!

Looking at all the cards in AC!D, looks like I'm missing quite a few. Hmm, maybe I really will start playing it again.....

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They're not tied to anything. But they're still Metal Gear games, awesome, and even more batshit crazy than the canon series. For pure guano to sanity ratio, AC!D is where it's at.

The_Spaniard knows what's up. Now I feel like playing AC!D 2 again!

If you start playing again type in TheSpaniard in the code screen to unlock the card I designed for the game.

For serious? That's awesome. Now I'm definitely going to have to try it out.

It better spawn a gun that shoots out smaller guns that shoots out tiny bears, or I'll be slightly disappointed. :P
    You better post your thoughts when you unlock it.

Sorry it took awhile for me to try, but:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

I love it! That's hilarious!

Looking at all the cards in AC!D, looks like I'm missing quite a few. Hmm, maybe I really will start playing it again.....

Yep that was my tiny contribution to the game. It's a feather in my hat to say that I've had my own work in a Metal Gear game. 8-)

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So let's say that one has copies of MGS 1-4, has played 3, and is not sure he wants to go through 1 & 2 after the better paced stealth of 3. Would 4 make sense with a basic understanding of the plots in 1 & 2 or would it be total gibberish without those experiences?

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I played 4 with only a quick skim over the encyclopedia on PSN, and I understood most of it by the end of the game. You should be fine.

AzadIsCool on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    4 sucks though and makes 2 better by its presence.

2 is pretty similar to 3 in a lot of ways, and Twin Snakes is very similar to 2. MGS is quite a bit different in a lot of ways, but similar in most.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Xenogears, that post is a fucking riddle.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Xenogears, that post is a fucking riddle.

One will make you smaller while the other will not lengthen you!

So simple version.

4 sucks.

3 is great.

2 isn't half bad.

1 is great, but is missing a ton of upgrades from the PS2 games.

Twin Snakes is 1 with the mechanics from 2 and creepy ass models and worse music and no VR.

2 and Twin Snakes play a lot like MGS 3. Only thing they are missing are really good room clearing weapons, forms of CQC more complicated than human shields/neckbreaking and the camo index.

1 is missing first person shooting, health recovery, stamina bars, no kill weapons, hold ups, and has an inventory/health leveling up system depending on the number of bosses you've killed. You also have to equip keycards which is insanely annoying.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

sucks...

what?

AzadIsCool on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The gameplay is fantastic but there are huge sections of the narrative that are presented like dog shit.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That sounds less like suck and more like it had some poor narrative sections.

You guys need to learn your negative vocabulary.

AzadIsCool on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Two of the acts aren't very fun and the bosses are for the most part very boring.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I enjoyed Metal Gear Solid 4 immensely except for Act 3. Act 5 was kinda rough too but I didn't mind it that much.

Soooo do we have any idea when Rising comes out? Next year I guess?

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I dunno. The first act was kind of bland. but I liked the bosses and in the end that game is easily on my all time top-5.

I guess the act where you had to follow that guy to the secret base started boring. But once you got on the bike with Big Mama it became awesome.

AzadIsCool on
  • Options
    LupintheThirdLupintheThird Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I dunno. The first act was kind of bland. but I liked the bosses and in the end that game is easily on my all time top-5.

I guess the act where you had to follow that guy to the secret base started boring. But once you got on the bike with Big Mama it became awesome.

I dunno, it was "different" but still pretty darn "Metal Gear"...plenty of stealth involved and I was sniping guys with my magic knockout gun all day. Only difference is you're following a moving goal. It was actually pretty cool.

Hating on MGS4...sorry, just can't see it.

LupintheThird on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I don't think I was clear. I loved MGS4, I was just admitting that the first act was weaker than the other ones.

AzadIsCool on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The gameplay sections of 4 offer more variety and depth than any of the other main games. There are also no shitty backtracking segments that even MGS3 abuses the hell out of. Throwing out 4 wholesale is just insane.

The story is wacky, but so are the other games. *shrugs*

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    LupintheThirdLupintheThird Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't think I was clear. I loved MGS4, I was just admitting that the first act was weaker than the other ones.

I was kind of all over the place myself. When I said "Hating on MGS4" I was speaking of others in the thread who had done so, not yourself.

LupintheThird on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The gameplay sections of 4 offer more variety and depth than any of the other main games. There are also no shitty backtracking segments that even MGS3 abuses the hell out of. Throwing out 4 wholesale is just insane.

The story is wacky, but so are the other games. *shrugs*

Dunno. Peace Walker comes close. Granted, it's all chopped up into extra ops and main missions, but fuck does it have some mission variety.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Nothing will beat the final boss battle of MGS4.

Nothing
    Although the Metal Gear battle in the same game was pretty awesome too.

AzadIsCool on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Nothing
    LIQQQQIUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDDDD!

That whole fight was pretty goddamn hardcore. And hard too if you aren't careful.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Nothing
    LIQQQQIUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDDDDDDDDDDDD!

That whole fight was pretty goddamn hardcore. And hard too if you aren't careful.

I died more on that fight than the rest of the game combined, I reckon it was a little too hard and I always hate when a final boss fight is an entirely different game than what's come before it.
    On the other hand, in a series about genetically-engineered super-soldiers controlling massive superweapons and trying to take over the world, it's pretty beautiful to have the climax be a fistfight between two old, near-dead men. The final phase, where they're staggering around while 'Old Snake' plays, is one of my favourite videogame memories.

I often think that MGS4 loses a bit of thematic depth by trying to wrap the whole series up neatly, but fuck me I liked the conclusion.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    BarksBarks __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Are there seriously people here saying MGS4 sucks? Hillarious. Might as well be saying The Godfather is a terrible movie.

Barks on
    madmensignaturePA.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    MGS 4 is a terrible game and an affront to the rest of the series.

It's very pretty though, and I do like the Metal Gear fight+most of the first two acts.

The rest of it though. ugh. Depressing experience.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    yeah no

thanks for playing

Renzo on
  • Options
    BarksBarks __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    I can't believe there's a person who has played through all of MGS4 and has that opinion.

Barks on
    madmensignaturePA.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    There was 1 single part of MGS 4 I didn't like. The bike ride. Other than that 1 misstep (to me - I can see the appeal of the section), I had an absolute blast. I really can't see how anyone can't like the game.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think MGS1 is a pretty damn good PSX game with fantastic bosses and an amazing story.

MGS2 is a an enjoyable game with one of the most boring, nonsensical stories that takes itself way too seriously I've ever had the displeasure of playing.

MGS3 is a magnificent game with an interesting story, one hell of a badass protagonist, and bosses that I can't tell if they're supposed to be a joke or not, but I think they work better if they're taken to be stupid and funny. It is frequently bogged down with self-important monologues which significantly detract from the experience, and it could have used a lot of editing in that department.

If I extrapolate the trend from MGS1 to MGS3 while also taking into account what I've heard about 45 minute-long cutscenes, then I can very easily see myself hating parts of MGS4 for a variety of reasons. Yes, this does in fact mean that I have yet to play the PS3 incarnation of this franchise.

This doesn't mean that I agree with Xenogears or anything, it simply means that if I ever get a chance to play that game (and I hope I do), I'll go into it with an open mind. I hope you guys are simply disagreeing with Xenogears' language in his expression for his dislike of the game, and not saying that MGS4 is somehow beyond reproach. Because that would just be silly.

Kristmas Kthulhu on