As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PATV : Reformat the Planet, Part 1

ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Social Entropy++
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/reformat-the-planet/101/

RTP101-splash.jpg

Reformat the Planet began with the intention of documenting the influence of video game culture on an increasingly diverse range of modern art. Originally titled Play, the project served as the genesis of 2 Player Productions in 2005. The fledgling crew set out conducting interviews with various artists, including several noted members of the game development community. After documenting several live chip music performances in New York City and being invited to film the first year of the now annual Blip Festival, it was clear that they stood before a rich cultural mine that few were tapping in any long-form projects. The decision to focus the film on the varied personalities of the NYC chip music scene was a quick and obvious one.

Alphamonkey Edit: Parts 2-7 are now posted, enjoy!

Älphämönkëy on

• Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh man, I loved this documentary!

BoomShake on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    that fucking tetris piece i swear

Raneados on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    they look kinda ridiculous up there just dancing to the music and occasionally messing with their equipment

it's like interpretive dance

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is important enough to spend months working on hey

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I saw this at PAX one year, forget if it was '08 or '09. Pretty good.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I just don't get making a documentary about something so trivial. I mean why not do a documentary on something important like war or poverty or disease or politics or...well anything else?

I'm sorry I'll leave now.

trentsteel on

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i actually hate chiptune music

Raneados on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    While I love two player and the stuff they do, I'm not a huge fan of this subject matter. Chip Tune stuff just isn't to my tastes at all.

Brolo on
  • Options
    [Michael][Michael] Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    wheeelp, not my sort of thing

Or maybe the other series spoiled me for documentaries on the internets

or both

[Michael] on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    rehosting old videos? awesome, i always wanted to watch this. and yes it takes PATV to finally make me get off my lazy butt and check it out

edit- cool so far, but uh... 8 minutes? how long is this thing? it's not gonna be like 80minutes and having part 10 two months from now or something is it?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    trentsteel wrote: »
    I just don't get making a documentary about something so trivial. I mean why not do a documentary on something important like war or poverty or disease or politics or...well anything else?

As trivial as it is, such fleeting cultural ephemera is as much a product of human society as politics, war, and poverty. There's almost certainly something said by all of our efforts on this gay space rock.

Why else would there be a documentary about pet cemeteries?

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

you're implying that documentaries about war, poverty, disease, or politics don't get made? what?

also we're talking an artistic medium, you're basically saying the equivalent of "well picasso was a pretty good painter but he should've been painting still lifes or something"

i mean you can complain about the content all you want but to state that it has no value intrinsically because of its subject matter is pretty fuckin' insulting

Rent on
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, I liked it.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Rent wrote: »

you're implying that documentaries about war, poverty, disease, or politics don't get made? what?

also we're talking an artistic medium, you're basically saying the equivalent of "well picasso was a pretty good painter but he should've been painting still lifes or something"

i mean you can complain about the content all you want but to state that it has no value intrinsically because of its subject matter is pretty fuckin' insulting

documentary about chip music? what next? a documentary on people shitting out jpegs?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    ackack Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ack on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I didn't say no value I said less value

way less value.

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    That being said, I enjoy their Penny Arcade behind the scenes stuff very much.

trentsteel on

• Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    i actually hate chiptune music

It's the domain of huge nerds so this is ok.

You're a petite nerd.

Womanly.

MKR on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I didn't say no value I said less value

way less value.

No not really at all. Documentaries aren't required to all be hard investigative looks at why injustice x exists. The point is to document, and actually to capture stuff that is this niche and unheard of by a majority of society is a good thing.

It's a pretty silly standard to set.

Langly on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And let's face it Trent, it's a little bit silly to hear that coming from you.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I liked this, I felt it ended rather abruptly, so abruptly that I thought something had cut off and it had ended before it was over so I ended up watching the last 10 seconds a second time.

I look forward to seeing more of this.

Is this documentary why Robert contacted 2pp about filming PATV?

Seg on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just don't get live bit music concerts at all. It comes across as sort of a mockery of actual live performance - there isn't any reason bit music can't be recorded with 100% accuracy and replayed anywhere you want. Also, I wish they would graduate to SNES-era sounds.

Zek on
  • Options
    ZuelZuel Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That was interesting I guess. But bored now. Back to behind the scenes at PA.

Zuel on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Zek wrote: »
    I just don't get live bit music concerts at all. It comes across as sort of a mockery of actual live performance - there isn't any reason bit music can't be recorded with 100% accuracy and replayed anywhere you want. Also, I wish they would graduate to SNES-era sounds.

You can watch a movie in your home, yet people still go to theaters. Presentation is a big deal.

MKR on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    documentary about chip music? what next? a documentary on people shitting out jpegs?

:)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited August 2010
    Hey guys - sorry for the confusion. The whole movie should have been released today. We're working on it!!!

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Zek wrote: »

Concerts are often as much about sharing the experience with those around you as it is about actually seeing the musician perform. People go to dances and raves where there's often no musician at all.

From the musician's standpoint, having that audience interaction is what playing live is all about. While I would never consider playing this kind of music personally, I can't begrudge a musician one of those more satisfying aspects of being one.

2 Marcus 2 Ravens on
  • Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    First off, not all chiptune bands are a guy with a gameboy. There are many that incorporate traditional instruments, like Anamanaguchi playing real guitars and drums along with the SNES. It's a wide enough genre that you can probably find something enjoyable, at least live.

Furthermore, like has been said, Live is something special, as it is for any band. On the audience side, it's about enjoying music with a bunch of other people who enjoy it in an environment suited to rocking the hell out. On the musician side, it's about playing with order and tempo and beats and so forth on the fly, responding to the crowd's response, experimenting. Whether it's entertaining is entirely musician based. There are some 'proper' bands that are boring and terrible to see live; it's not limited to chiptune.

And to say that because it could be recorded pitch-perfect in any way means it shouldn't be done live is a real silly goosey thing to say.

BoomShake on
  • Options
    WindfayirWindfayir Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A documentary? Pff, the morning news tells me all I need to know about these chip kids playing their video james up on the stages

they were mixed in a dj

Windfayir on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like 2PP

and I kind of like chiptunes

but I'm not all that interested in why and how they get made

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    bitch shitter

that is awesome.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Parts 2-7 are now posted!

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    haha that guy looks ridiculous

Fuga on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I hope this means while not in charge of PA the series anymore, 2PP will still have a presence on PATV.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    well this is what they did before patv. who knows how their future stuff might relate. at least this gives a sign of no ill will between pa and 2pp, if any silly geese had that notion in the first place.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    exist wrote: »
    they look kinda ridiculous up there just dancing to the music and occasionally messing with their equipment

it's like interpretive dance

yeah I feel incredibly uncomfortable watching that emo hair guy doing the hitler grab to 8 bit mood music

also there's like three girls in the whole place

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yes, they do look very silly. I thought DJs were supposed to be cool and calm.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    bawkbawkboo1bawkbawkboo1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MMMM! Wireless for All! On MetroPCS! Insert more vaguely race-based stereotype speak here!

Seriously, when are you guys going to get more than one PATV ad?

bawkbawkboo1 on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I never see that ad

Langly on
  • Options
    BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, for every good chiptune artist there are five more who make shitty techno using a gameboy and all of a sudden are a chiptune DJ. Anamanaguchi's last tour was a good example of this, the three bands before them just played techno that sounded the same for two hours before Anamanaguchi got up and had a fucking melody.

Borommakot on
This discussion has been closed.