As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Fallout 3 - DLC: Point Lookout: All sets!

• atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I do have to scold you on not picking up the SMGs.. why wouldn't you take those? They use 10mm ammo and are so much better than pistols!

Once you get to some of the later sets you'll see how bad I am with guns that rapid fire, when I use them my ammo just seems to dissapate into the air around me while the enemies stand there untouched pummeling me with everything they have.

My guns of choice are definitely the hunting rifle and the combat shotgun for when I want to get up close and personal, admittedly that's most of the time. If I get a chance to stop off and get the terrible shotgun that thing will probably be glued to my hands.

atat23 on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't think it's entirely a matter of terrible aim... sometimes the game just doesn't want you to hit something. You already experienced that a few times when you had your cursor dead on, and the enemy's health just doesn't go down; it's the 'RPG' part of the game I think, calculating that you missed even though by all rights you should have blown the dude's head off.

But of course, that is what VATS is for! I do entirely understand the love for shotguns though, as they are very satisfying to use. Terrible Shotgun is awesome indeed, but don't forget about Ol' Painless, the special hunting rifle you can get from the Republic of Dave... it's quite impressive as well. Not to mention Lincoln's Repeater which is one of my personal favorites. :D

Still, I enjoy nothing more than emptying assault rifles into crowds of super mutants, but of course until later on in the game the ammo can be a bit hard to keep in stock. I usually get that perk that causes extra ammo to appear in containers, as it supports my 'spray and pray' ways.

Toxic Pickle on
    edited August 2010
    Well the later video I was talking about was the one I actually made last night, it's not edited or anything yet though, oops!

Still I was using a chinese assault rifle and I think I had about 600 bullets for it so the ammo isn't too much of an issue.

If I use VATS though it just means I can watch the bullet miss in slow motion, honestly if I was in a firing squad and a super mutant was blindfolded and bound against the wall, I could let off rounds and rounds at him, afterwards the super mutant would still be there but there'd be a super mutant shaped outline made of bullets holes on the wall behind him, the RPG mechanics just don't cooperate with me most of the time :D

Also, the Lincoln repeater is the reason I haven't used the magnum at all and am trying to stockpile magnum ammo. If your telling me the extra ammo perk is worth it I should try and get it asap, swing by the magnum factory for the ammo and go straight for Lincoln repeater soon. Once that's in play, the hunting rifle is going bye bye, the magnum ammo is just so rare that I usually have very little ammo for it, this will be the one time were I won't have that problem, at least for a while.

atat23 on
    edited August 2010
    The extra ammo perk does help very much when it comes to the magnum ammo, which is quite rare you're right. I love the repeater myself, but having to scrounge up that magnum ammo all the time can become a bit of a chore.

Ol' Painless is actually comparable to the repeater in damage, but uses the plain old .32 ammo that is pretty much as abundant as radiation. Plus it doesn't have that weird muzzle loading animation that makes no sense given the ammo type, heh.

I'm personally also a fan of scoped rifles. Getting headshots with those from a nice long distance is about the most satisfying thing in the world! I think scoped rifles aren't quite as effective as they should be in vanilla though, and FOOK2 actually adds perks that make them better (such as one called Controlled Breathing that steadily reduces the wavering effect as your small guns/level increases).

Lastly, I noticed you've been carrying the flame thrower around (up to set 6 at least). Why don't you ever use that? It's heavy as hell so if you're gonna keep it, why not set some mans on fire? Having a low Big Guns skill doesn't really hurt you with that weapon... plus it's just plain fun.

Toxic Pickle on
  • KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, you know that encounter at the Memorial? That was the Firelance. I just started watching set 6, so I don't know if you later went and got it... but, I mean, you missed the Firelance. Watching part 2, I even saw alien power cells on the ground.

You've gotta go back and get that thing.

Klash on
    We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • GarrisGarris Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    lol I just found the BOard of Education, as well as the republic of Dave

Garris on
  • GarrisGarris Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    can I put in a request for you to say at some point during the next set , fistful of lightening, and possibly crowbar...

Garris on
    edited August 2010
    Well after watching Set 7, I apparently spoke too soon regarding the flamethrower! :lol:

That little quest at Falls Church does indeed have a possible happy ending; if you manage to keep Paladin Hoss alive, he eventually parks outside that office building and does what you said... sits on his thumb and waits for you to do all the heavy lifting.

Inside, the recruit is supposed to be alive, and once you find him, he complains about his gun being jammed, and you can un-jam it if you have even a modest small guns skill. Then you fight your way out of the building (or just walk out if you've already killed the super mutants), and collect your 100 caps. Also, Hoss and whomever is left of his crew will follow you around the Falls Church area and help you kill anything else that you run into, which is kinda cool. This part usually glitches though, and afterwards any time you zone, you'll see Paladin Hoss there looking at you (scared the crap outta me the first few times), and he'll take off running back towards Falls Church. :P

Thing is, I've only managed to complete the quest like... once, ever. Every other time Hoss dies (usually because of increased spawns from a mod) or I go inside to find the recruit dead just like you did. If the recruit is dead, when you go outside to meet Hoss he keeps telling you to bring the recruit... there was no option to let him know the kid was dead. Lame.

Toxic Pickle on
    edited August 2010
    Don't forget that Hoss and friends will steal your shit. Because NPCs like to pick up stuff better than their own items, they'll do this with your stuff, should they appear in your home.

I've taken to doing the quest, then finding the nearest car and blowing it up while standing on it. No blood on my hands, and no annoying Paladins takin' my toys.

Edit: Ah man, I still gotta finish Set 6 and watch 7. They're just so long, I don't even have the patience to play 15 minutes of F3 anymore, haha.

Klash on
    edited August 2010
    Klash wrote: »
    That was the Firelance.

ok, I'll admit I didn't want to hang around because random explosions in the wasteland usually aren't good and I was being a coward. The sound was also identical to a car exploding so I assumed it was just a super mutant with a missile launcher or something, due to my past experiences with muties and missiles I was trying to go in the opposite direction.

I was round that way in the latest set, so it may be gone now but I guess I can go back and check. Now you mention it I can see the alien ammo lying on the ground. One thing about the LP is i'm usually rushing to get as much done as possible so I'm sure I've missed a lot more than just this. At least it wasn't anything important like a Nuka-Cola truck or a teddy bear though :D

That little quest at Falls Church does indeed have a possible happy ending; if you manage to keep Paladin Hoss alive, he eventually parks outside that office building and does what you said... sits on his thumb and waits for you to do all the heavy lifting.

Good to know the outcome, I was just pissed that the 100 caps wasn't on his corpse, what a jip!

I've seen that random encounter at least once before actually and I'm fairly certain they all died then as well.

Klash wrote: »
    Edit: Ah man, I still gotta finish Set 6 and watch 7. They're just so long, I don't even have the patience to play 15 minutes of F3 anymore, haha.

yeah not much I can do with the length really, if I made the sets any shorter I'd barely get anything done in them and there's still tons to cover.

I could artificially make them 30 minutes by stopping mid way through a section/quest but then there would be twice as many sets. This is why I chose youtube though, since I find it easier to jump in and out of watching an LP or taking a break from it a lot easier if it's split up into parts rather than one long 50-60 minute video.

Garris wrote: »
    can I put in a request for you to say at some point during the next set , fistful of lightening, and possibly crowbar...

There was a crowbar mod so I could have sworn I mentioned that around set 2 when I was talking about different mods I had seen.

"fistful of lightening" maybe when I get some of the Alien weaponry :winky:

atat23 on
    edited August 2010
    This is the stop gap set that was supposed to be some content while you guys were voting but I didn't get a chance to upload it, oops!

Set 8: Paradise Fallen

atat23 on
    edited August 2010
    So all the voting wasn't in vain, enjoy!

Set 9: Support your local library

atat23 on
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Damn it. An new update and I have to go to work. :(

Oh well. At least I know it'll be something for me to watch when I get home.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
    edited August 2010
    For your viewing pleasure, a bit shorter than usual though I'm sure most of you may appreciate that.

Set 10: Do Protectrons Dream of Electric Sheep?

atat23 on
  • stfuadstfuad Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hey, I dont' know if I'm correct or not. But when you first discovered Anchorage Memorial it sounded like the Firelance dropped. The same thing happened when I first discovered the memorial. Though I had to use a companion to find the gun.

stfuad on
    edited August 2010
    yeah, so I've been told but will it still be there now or does it disappear after a while?

atat23 on
    edited August 2010
    also, Set 11 is now up! That survival guide quest is like 9 quests rolled into one so glad that's finally over and done with.

Set 11: Bow to the Survival Guru

atat23 on
    edited August 2010
    Doesn't hurt to check, do a quick look around for the power cells and if they're still there. Score!

stfuad on
    edited August 2010
    I don't see why it wouldn't be there. It is possible for someone to stroll along and pick it up, but the Memorial isn't inhabited by any item-using creatures to pick it up. Should still be there, but your best bet is to use Dogmeat's "find gun" then "find ammo" features.

Hope you find it, because things that go pewpewpew make everything better. Especially when they pew out fire.

Klash on
  • CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This got me playing Fallout 3 again. I think I might have forgotten how to play or something, it seems harder than it was last time. It's kind of fun running out of ammo and stimpacks in the middle of the DC Ruins though, especially when I only use fast travel to avoid boring walking.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Taking Bloody Mess was the correct decision.

Craigopogo on
    edited August 2010
    I was starting to wonder if the LP had lost steam, as last week a few days went by with nothing going on.

Then I come back and I'm like 5 sets behind wtf.

Caught up to Set 9 so far, and it's all been good stuff. I think what I enjoy most is seeing how someone else plays the game and goes through the various quests, because you do so many things differently from me. I've become so set in my ways that I don't even see other ways to do the quests anymore until I watch someone else play.

The biggest example is the Anchorage War Memorial; I always go in through the sewer grate underwater, where you came out the first time. Going through there is obviously quick and I encounter no Mirelurks (other than the king wandering nearby, but he never spots me and even if he did I could plant the beacon and be gone without a fight). I've never even considered using a Stealth Boy, and nor have I ever actually gone back there after the quest, despite how many times I've played through that part of the game.

Basically, what I'm saying is I appreciate the fresh perspective on the game as much as I do the entertainment value. Keep up the good work!

Toxic Pickle on
    edited August 2010
    yeah I haven't had time to update or play during the last couple of weekends so it's usually 3 days without an update, it's either a feast or a famine with this LP.

atat23 on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Basically, what I'm saying is I appreciate the fresh perspective on the game as much as I do the entertainment value. Keep up the good work!
    One thing I'd ask: put a link to the next episode in the set in the description, just saves your viewers a bit of time. :)

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    edited August 2010
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    One thing I'd ask: put a link to the next episode in the set in the description, just saves your viewers a bit of time. :)

I usually watch LPs in their respective playlists so never even thought of this, really good tip though, thanks!

Instead of double posting, I'll put set 12 here, hope you enjoy it:

Set 12: American History X-pert

atat23 on
    edited August 2010
    Apologies for the low volume in this set. Seems my Mic wasn't close enough.

I'm audible except in a few of the more heated battles, it's barely noticeable as you're most likely concentrating on the action anyway.

Set 13: All Ghouls are Created Equal

atat23 on
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hah, that's some Irish luck (I've never gotten the event). The Firelance was probably clipped just ever so slightly inside the palisade surrounding the tree. A little more and even Dogmeat wouldn't have been able to retrieve it. :)

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
    edited August 2010
    You can get more of the Alien Power Cells, north of Mine Field. Plus the Alien Blaster. Also in Fort Independence? The one with the Brotherhood Outcasts.

stfuad on
    edited August 2010
    north of Minefield you say, I'm on it!

Update: I noticed three things I said that were completely wrong (there's likely more) see if you can spot them all :D

Set 14: OnePenny Tower

atat23 on
  • CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I remember the first time I killed Tenpenny, I threw his headless corpse off the balcony and then left. I was quite impressed when I looked around and found his body way down on the ground.

Craigopogo on
    edited August 2010
    Don't think I've ever went to the bother of actually throwing him off but his corpse has definately fallen off before, it's disappointing that no one reacts to it and even more so that it doesn't splatter on impact.

Two updates for the price of one:

Set 15: Getting a Head Set 16: Crime Fighter Extraordinaire
    I'm also trying to increase the rate of videos in case I have to go away next week, nothing's confirmed though so we'll see.

atat23 on
    edited August 2010
    At that power station north of Minefield. Follow the towers-N/NE-after a few minutes you hit a patch of radiation. Said power cells reside within.

stfuad on
    edited August 2010
    I assume if you meant the Alien Crash Site, you'd just say that, wanted to stay away from that area though in case I got abducted.

I followed the pylons for a bit anyway and even brought Dogmeat with me but I still couldn't find any of the ammo you're talking about. Maybe I'll find it one day but my Alien Power cell worries are over as you'll see in the next set:

Set 17: Bobble Fest

atat23 on
    edited August 2010
    I continue with the bobblehead collecting but also get slightly sidetracked.

Set 18: Gary!

atat23 on
    edited August 2010
    So, trying to catch up on episodes... seems I fell way behind again!

Not that this is a bad thing, because it means I have plenty to watch without running out! :D

One thing though... I can't believe how you dissed Dogmeat... after he found you the Firelance and everything. Harsh, man. Harsh. :(

Toxic Pickle on
    edited August 2010
    I was just being my usual abusive self, I love the little guy really :D

atat23 on
    edited August 2010
    Showing off my forgetfulness and lack of paying attention at the same time:

Set 19: Going Solo

atat23 on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yussss! New set.

Will return with sandwiches momentarily to watch it.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    holy shit, those teddy bears

Nuzak on
  • Re: nholderRe: nholder Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Looks like youtube shat on part 3, sadly.

Otherwise, it's another funderful update.

Re: nholder on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Looks like youtube shat on part 3, sadly.

Otherwise, it's another funderful update.

Yes, set three is currently unavailable, sadly.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png