As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

52 Thread: The Final Weeks

123457»

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Christ, that Black Adam cover is frightening.

And that other one? Those silhouettes? Could they by the Four Ages of Dread Apokolips in it's Anguished, Bloody Morning?

I knew those guys were too cool to just fade away...

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    His expression makes him appear to be sniffing her fingers and asking, "who have these been in?"

Squashua on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    Golden Yak wrote: »

And that other one? Those silhouettes? Could they by the Four Ages of Dread Apokolips in it's Anguished, Bloody Morning?

Since the book is called "52 Aftermath: The Four Horsemen", I don't know how you came to that conclusion.

Garlic Bread on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Good god, that's how you end a book.
    Ralph & Sue <3<3<3<3<3<3<3
    Multiverse Booster and skeets and Rip and Supernova!
    Doc Magnus back to his old tricks!
    Renee Question... ehh, we'll see.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Since the book is called "52 Aftermath: The Four Horsemen", I don't know how you came to that conclusion.

Hey, that phrase was meant to be spoken in that tone of voice people use when they already known the answer to the question they're asking rhetorically.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You know, I hate to bump this thread, but there's one last piece of 52 that needs our attention.

Ralph Dibny's Blog

The last entry is up, and it is glorious. If you haven't been reading this, you've missed out on half the greatness of 52.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Charmy wrote: »
    You know, I hate to bump this thread, but there's one last piece of 52 that needs our attention.

Ralph Dibny's Blog

The last entry is up, and it is glorious. If you haven't been reading this, you've missed out on half the greatness of 52.

You improved my life by posting that link, and therefore have secured a place in heaven for your saintly act.

Bad news: The coffee sucks and Jesus is an ay-rab terrorist.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Charmy wrote: »

Ralph Dibny's Blog

You improved my life by posting that link, and therefore have secured a place in heaven for your saintly act.

Bad news: The coffee sucks and Jesus is an ay-rab terrorist.

I was JUST coming in here to post that and you beat me to it you bastard.

And yes, it's pure brilliance. I hope he ends up continuing with countdown.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hey guys,
    I have been hearing about 52 a lot and supposedly its really good. Is it a good point to get into DC universe, or should I look somewhere else?

muninn on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2007
    It is not a good point at all to get into the universe

Garlic Bread on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Post-coital interview with Mark Waid.

Some highlights:
    Ralph's resolution was my favorite thing in "52." The scene with the "ghost detectives" was what we were always building to with Ralph. Based on his history, his personality and his character, there were only two possible payoffs for Ralph: he could have lived, but been miserable without Sue for the rest of his life, or we could have killed him. But simply killing him to be gratuitous didn't feel right. Killing a character that's been around since before you were born is, generally, a thoughtless and convenient path to take as a writer, and I've learned that the hard way.

My memory is that Grant and I were sitting side by side, and then we looked at one another and said simultaneously: "Ghost detectives." Then the assistant editor, Ivan Cohen, bounced in with a reference to "Topper," which was an old movie and tv show about a ghost couple. My single favorite moment of the entire "52" experience was that exact moment, because that was without question a perfect sendoff for those two characters, and we all knew it instantly.

Without going backward, it restored what Sue and Ralph were, which was globetrotting detectives, while at the same time giving them a whole new arena to play in and a unique role in the DC Universe.

Hopefully, someone will pick up that baton and use them somewhere else in a miniseries or a backup series.
    RT: We haven't really talked about Black Adam yet. Or creating Osiris and Isis only to kill them off, which I thought was brilliant.

MW: I thought that was really good. I remember, at some point, Geoff came up to me and he was upset because Dan had just told him he wanted to keep Isis alive.

RT: That was the entire point of the story!

MW: She was created to die!

Black Adam would have had no reason to go postal had she lived.

From time to time, as can be expected with a series of this scope and one that goes on for a year, there were several moments where edicts came down from on high asking us to change things that might have weakened our story, and we had to cluster together, shields raised, like the Spartans in "300" and just say no.

Furu on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I slightly disagree with you. The end of every issue has an origin story in it for just this reason.

Of course, it will be confusing due to the sheer number of characters introduced.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited May 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »

I slightly disagree with you. The end of every issue has an origin story in it for just this reason.

Of course, it will be confusing due to the sheer number of characters introduced.

They have two-page barebones origins just to explain the "New Earth" continuity

It's better to use Wikipedia

Garlic Bread on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Year One books are a better way to get into the DC Universe.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

It's how I've gotten into DC and I think that it's worked quite well tbh.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Grant Morrison's 52 exit interview is up at Newsarama

And yes, all the internet rumors were true, Grant Morrison has fucked a jellyfish, at least once.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Some interesting bits.
    The same pitch also introduced two new Japanese pop-culture inspired superteams - the venerable monster-huntin' crew of Big Science Action and the Super Young Team (whose members include Most Excellent SuperBat, Big Atomic Lantern Boy and Shy Crazy Lolita Canary) - both of which will appear in my next big DCU project in 2008.

I'd also like to point out here that my character the Bulleteer CANNOT FLY! Repeat BULLETEER CANNOT FLY!

Apart from that there are a couple of glaring omissions and oversights which will either make it into the trade or get picked up in other books - to save Newsarama readers a wait, I can confirm that the 'cocoon' spun by Mister Mind doubled as a matter transporter, which allowed him to beam himself inside Skeets after seeing him on TV. Starfire isn't dead, she just fainted after her long, energy-draining journey to Earth. Doc Magnus' Plutonium Man will probably turn up again in the forthcoming Metal Men series. And the parallel Earths you see in issue #52 are not the familiar pre-Crisis versions. If you think you recognize and know any of these worlds from before, you'd be wrong. We all wanted to do something new with the multiple Earths so what you've already seen in 52 is simply the tip of the iceberg - each parallel world now has its own huge new backstory and characters and each could basically form the foundation for a complete line of new books. If you like the ongoing soap opera dynamics of New Earth, you can watch Mary Marvel turning to the dark side as her skirt gets shorter and shorter, or you can buy the Earth 5 line of books featuring more iconic versions of the Marvel Family. If you miss Vic Sage as the Question, you should be able to follow the adventures of Vic's counterpart on the Charlton/Watchmen world of Earth 4.

The idea behind the Megaverse is to basically create a number of big new franchise possibilities. It's like having several comics companies and universes under one umbrella, so, as I say, there could be one book or a whole line of books spinning out of the new Earth 10 (I handled that particular revamp, so I can tell you that the original concept of the Freedom Fighters on a world where the Nazis won World War 2 has been greatly reconsidered, expanded and intensified into something that's a bit more Wagnerian and apocalyptic and a bit more adult) That's how I'd like to see the Megaverse played out as we move forward. And no crossovers! Each of the parallel universes should exist in its own separate stream with no contact from the others - not until we have a story worthy of bringing them together.

I'd really like to see a few minis fleshing out at least a few of the different Earths. Out of everything 52 did, I think re-establishing a multiverse was the best. Now whether or not it works out in the long run, and whether it just causes a big continuity clusterfuck is another thing. But if they can handle them as well as Marvel has their Ultimate Universe, then it'll be pretty cool.

Munch on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It added some extra drama and made the big ending possible, although I originally wanted Mister Mind to metamorphose into a goofy-looking little butterfly wearing glasses. I thought it would be scarier if this tiny, supremely evil creature could do absolutely anything but I was overruled on the grounds that our lead characters wouldn't look very cool running from an angry Red Admiral with a two-inch wingspan.

That would have been the best thing ever.

Furu on
  • DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So when do the TPBs for 52 hit? I wanna read the series but didn't keep up with it at all. But because it's summer now I can.

DharmaBum on
    edited May 2007
    JG Jones hardcover cover collection for $20

along with some other trades

Garlic Bread on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Anyone have any info about the 52 Companion book? Are these the issues where the 52 characters make their big debut or just stuff that's mentioned? It looks pretty interesting.

JoeUser on
    edited May 2007
    JoeUser wrote: »

Anyone have any info about the 52 Companion book? Are these the issues where the 52 characters make their big debut or just stuff that's mentioned? It looks pretty interesting.

Probably just stand-alone stories involving the main characters

Garlic Bread on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Yeah, just look them up on Mycomicshop.com to see what they're about.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »

Yeah, just look them up on Mycomicshop.com to see what they're about.

Thanks, that's a cool site. Mike's Amazing World of DC was pretty helpful too.

I was curious about these, and this is what I found:
    MYSTERIOUS SUSPENSE #1 - solo debut of The Question

GOTHAM CENTRAL #40 - Montoya gets drunk, quits the force

ANIMAL MAN #16 - Animal Man and the JLE fight the Time Commander

METAL MEN #45 - Magnus goes crazy and makes the Plutonium Man!

SUPERMAN: THE MAN OF STEEL #97 - Superman and Steel fight the Eradicator

RIP HUNTER: TIME MASTER #6 - Rip and friends go to ancient times to investigate a prophecy

JSA #43-44 - where the JSA go back to the time when Black Adam was still a hero and fight with him

DETECTIVE COMICS #350 - Elongated Man helps Green Lantern get his memory back and gets a new costume

STRANGE ADVENTURES #226 - random Adam Strange story about defending Rann - can't find a lot on this one

SECRET ORIGINS #35 - Booster Gold, Max Lord and Martian Manhunter

JoeUser on