As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Street Fighter X Tekken: Game out now. 12 characters DLC incoming. Day 1 patching.

• Stand, Killer QueenStand, Killer Queen Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Arcades were pretty much extinct where I grew up, but TTT was a staple at the bowling alley. Good times with weapons.

Stand, Killer Queen on
    sig.gif
  • mutantmagnetmutantmagnet Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Because Tekken is the only 3d fighter that has a tell built into the pre-throw animation, taking all guessing out of the equation as long as you can react in time. In high level play it's rare for most to even bother with throws, where in other 3d fighters throws are standard mixup and punishment tools.

Also, throws are high in 3d fighters, so you can crouch under them. But that's not very important.

There is a very, very, very small window for late breaks in Soulcalibur that would theoretically allow a player to know which throw to escape, but it's too fast and too risky for anyone to bother with.

THis really contradicts what I saw and heard at Evo. Throws were used in the final 16 just as frequently as they were done in SFIV final 16. One of the guys commentating in the earlier rounds mentioned that throws used to be very brutal in Tekken 5(?) and now they've been watered down heavily with the slowing down of animations making it practical for a pro to perform a breakout instead of relying on a prayer to God.

[edit]Came across a very interesting idea someone else had.
    Capcom's game should be Tekken from their perspective and vice versa.

:whistle:

mutantmagnet on
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Tekken Tag would be interesting, since it used a pretty unique tag system, and often had multiple rounds to a match. But losing as soon as one character is KOd may not go over with a Capcom crowd that's used to having 2 or 3 characters to fall back on.

The style of tagging shown in the gameplay reveal was more of the Rival Schools or early 2000s era King of Fighters variety, with the second character only showing up as an assist or during supers, with maybe the option to switch primary characters between rounds.

Yeah Capcom's version will probably rely on their standard vs game set up minus all the crazy flashy stuff. So I'm guessing like a CvS sort of mentality where you can switch characters on the fly.

It wouldn't surprise me if they went for a very Tekken Tag like game with Tekken X Street Fighter though. At least if they were smart that's what they would do. People have been wanting a new Tekken Tag for how long now?

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    There's only one character in 2010.

And his name is Ken.

I remember being so disappointed renting that game way back when. So disappointed.

I think all of Street Fighter 2010 can be adequately summed up right here. That said, DAT NINA!!! Seeing as how solid SF4 was mechanics wise I have no doubt Capcom'll be able to deliver a great game on their side, but the Namco take on it? To say that I'm very wary is putting it lightly. Then again I've only messed around with a few Tekken arcade games years back, take that with a grain of salt.

Grimthwacker on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Because Tekken is the only 3d fighter that has a tell built into the pre-throw animation, taking all guessing out of the equation as long as you can react in time. In high level play it's rare for most to even bother with throws, where in other 3d fighters throws are standard mixup and punishment tools.

Also, throws are high in 3d fighters, so you can crouch under them. But that's not very important.

There is a very, very, very small window for late breaks in Soulcalibur that would theoretically allow a player to know which throw to escape, but it's too fast and too risky for anyone to bother with.

THis really contradicts what I saw and heard at Evo. Throws were used in the final 16 just as frequently as they were done in SFIV final 16. One of the guys commentating in the earlier rounds mentioned that throws used to be very brutal in Tekken 5(?) and now they've been watered down heavily with the slowing down of animations making it practical for a pro to perform a breakout instead of relying on a prayer to God.

[edit]Came across a very interesting idea someone else had.
    Capcom's game should be Tekken from their perspective and vice versa.

:whistle:

Couldn't comment too much on the evo games, I watch mostly Korean or local Tekken. In Korean Tekken, which is at a higher level than what it's played in North America, you might see one or two throws per match, and they're only effective on a player who's been broken down. It's very, very, very rare to see a grappling character do well unless they're doing something else besides throws.

At more moderate levels of play throws are still effective, but still not nearly as useful as throws in other 3d fighters, because even if you could land them regularly launchers are about as fast and do way more damage.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I can't speak for the EVO Top 16 and I didn't watch all of the Tekken coverage, but I don't think I saw Nin (the grand champion) get thrown once. He broke every throw attempt in the Grand Finals, but he did get in three successful throws in on his opponent.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Holy crap son. Those tage team supers are amazing. Im gonna have to buy a fighting stick for these games and MvC3 this seems to be the age of the fighter.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It's probably sad, but of the 100 hours or so that I'll invest in either of these games, about 50 of them will be Zangief vs Bear.

Taramoor on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Money well spent, I'd say.

Turkey on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Assuming Capcom's recycling the SF cast (hence reduced dev time), and equal numbers of characters for each franchise, would that mean at least 15 Tekken characters but not more than 20?

Wearingglasses on
  • HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It seems like there is going to be a showing of either TxSF or SFxT at Gamescom. i cant get a grip on that website and they are arguing about grammar on srk, while also saying on or the other is going to be showed.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Take that!! Hahaha!! That'll show you!! :D @Harada_TEKKEN http://p.twipple.jp/NSMdU
    Yeah, that'll show him...something. I take it that's not one of Nina's moves in original Tekken, is it?

SabreMau on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Take that!! Hahaha!! That'll show you!! :D @Harada_TEKKEN http://p.twipple.jp/NSMdU
    Yeah, that'll show him...something. I take it that's not one of Nina's moves in original Tekken, is it?

I think the joke revolves around Nina being on all fours. Also Blanka confirmed!

Turkey on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Turkey wrote: »
    SabreMau wrote: »

I think the joke revolves around Nina being on all fours. Also Blanka confirmed!

Blanka likes his ladies on all fours.

Wait...

chamberlain on
  • HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    i guess there might be something coming from gamescom soon, i hope so atleast. Some information here.http://kotaku.com/5616629/an-early-look-at-tekken-x-street-fighter

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was just about to post this. I think I like the models for Tekken x Street Fighter, though I could do without the glazed eyes look. Reminds me heavily of the close-ups in Uncharted 2.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

edited August 2010
    That's just the SF4 engine, which is very ugly up close or in still frames.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    edited August 2010
    No page, he's talking about the link. Which shows an early render of Ryu in the Tekken engine.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
    edited August 2010
    Should have noticed that it had Tekken first. I just looked at the first pic and saw the SF4 Ryu and figured that was the goal.

Good to see they're moving ahead with it faster than many people thought.

Page- on
    stream
    edited August 2010
    Having seen higher quality video of the gameplay demonstration I am 95% sure that SFxT has some sort of tech traps. It also looks like there are Virtua Fighter-style bounds of some sort and an expanded way of chaining normals.

Also, if they're working on something else in the meantime please let it be SC5.

Page- on
    stream
    edited August 2010
    Oh man, I hate to be the barer of bad news but I've heard they are working on Tekken 7.

I'd prefer SC5 as well.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
    edited August 2010
    They've announced Tekken 7, but TvSF will be using the Tekken 6 engine, and they said they're finishing this game before they start work on it. It wouldn't make much sense to finish Tekken 7 (and the new engine) before they start a Tekken 6 game.

But it's always such a pain in the ass trying to get anything out of Namco, so it could be just about anything before they bother to make a final announcement.

Page- on
    stream
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They've announced Tekken 7, but TvSF will be using the Tekken 6 engine, and they said they're finishing this game before they start work on it.

What!?

Fufkasdkcalsknclxkzndzxc.

Goddamn it namco, this is cool but i want a new tekken more. :x

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
    edited August 2010
    My wording was bad.

Tekken 7 has been announced.

Tekken vs SF has been announced.

Namco said they're working on a game right now that they will finish before they start working on Tekken vs SF.

It could be Tekken 7, but that would be really dumb.

However, it's Namco, so.

Page- on
    stream
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    They've announced Tekken 7, but TvSF will be using the Tekken 6 engine, and they said they're finishing this game before they start work on it.

What!?

Hey, look at it this way.

This game could lay down the groundwork for Tekken Tag Tournament 2.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited August 2010
    Also possible.

It's not like people haven't been asking for that game for more than 10 years now.

Page- on
    stream
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lol... since Bob is in the game... I think Rufus is now an instant MUST HAVE.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • LuthonLuthon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Have they announced whether you can have any character on your "team" or will it be just a set pair of characters like they've shown us. It'd be a damn shame if you couldn't do a SF and Tekken character on the same team, I know I'd like to have Dan and Paul Phoenix fighting on the same team!

Luthon on
    edited April 2011
    The last game that had forced teams was like King of Fighters 96. Don't count on that.

Wish they'd showed more than a few combos. I swear to god I saw techs, and potential tech traps, at the original reveal. That's the most interesting potential gameplay mechanic in the game.

Page- on
    stream
  • SillenderSillender Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Luthon wrote: »
    Have they announced whether you can have any character on your "team" or will it be just a set pair of characters like they've shown us. It'd be a damn shame if you couldn't do a SF and Tekken character on the same team, I know I'd like to have Dan and Paul Phoenix fighting on the same team!
    There were no restrictions to who you picked for your team – you could have two Street Fighter characters, two Tekken characters or one from each. Ryu, Ken, Guile, Chun-Li, Abel, Kazuya, Nina, King, Marduk and Bob were all confirmed as characters and playable at the show.

I wonder what this means for those tag supers they showed earlier...

Sillender on
    edited April 2011
    Tag supers were basically copy+paste 2 characters swapping out their moves. None shown would be an issue if there was a different lead-in character or a different second character.

But it wouldn't be a surprise if there were still character specific tag supers. Tekken Tag has that, and, um X-men vs Street Fighter had it.

Page- on
    stream
  • LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    B:L wrote: »

What!?

What, this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvL9TOUuDb8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QajoXTIHoI&feature=related

Lalilulelo on
    edited April 2011
    Tekken Tag Tournament 2 has been a known thing for a long time.

Has its own thread and everything.

Reading a bit more about Street Fighter x Tekken, there is a form of pseudo-tech trap, at least for regular Street Fighter oki. When grounded, a character can do Tekken-style rolls to get out of pressure by using invulnerability frames to avoid jump ins or whatever, but the roll is punishable. Depending on how deep you can get jumping attacks in, a mix-up would be as easy as faking a cross-up to bait a roll, then dashing in and punishing the roll. Unless there's a bound system or some other OTG that nobody has talked about, Tekken-style tech traps are out.

The charge up thing for specials is a little weird. But if anyone thought fireballs wouldn't be strong in the game, that would prove them wrong. It also explains why they changed the input for Chun's lighting legs.

Murdock (among other things) indicates that the leaked design stuff is false.

Page- on
    stream
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    edited April 2011
    It's strangely fitting that Ono says he's going to actually stick a story to it.

Because, why not?

Page- on
    stream
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Capcom has confirmed that SFxT will be coming to PC. I think that's really nice.

Peewi on
    edited April 2011
    Lalilulelo wrote: »
    B:L wrote: »

What!?

What, this?

Hey that post was ages ago. I started the damn TTT2 thread goddamnit. :P

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=128382
    Reading a bit more about Street Fighter x Tekken, there is a form of pseudo-tech trap, at least for regular Street Fighter oki. When grounded, a character can do Tekken-style rolls to get out of pressure by using invulnerability frames to avoid jump ins or whatever, but the roll is punishable. Depending on how deep you can get jumping attacks in, a mix-up would be as easy as faking a cross-up to bait a roll, then dashing in and punishing the roll. Unless there's a bound system or some other OTG that nobody has talked about, Tekken-style tech traps are out.

I thought the new trailers show a bound system?

Also wait what does bound have to do with tech traps?

Antihippy on
    edited April 2011
    You need a place to tech during a combo for have a tech trap. Without the option to bound or otg stuff, why would someone tech early?

Page- on
    stream
    edited April 2011
    Wait, you can tech out of bound?

Unless I'm misreading something.

But yeah, I think those ground bounce moves they've shown might be capcom's take on bound.

Antihippy on
    edited April 2011
    No you can't.

But it would have to be something LIKE that. If there's nothing to tech out of, there's nothing to trap. Unless it's less Tekken and more Soulcalibur, where most tech traps aren't relaunches, but extra damage.

Page- on
    stream