As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

20 Comics That Can Change Your Life

13»

• TylerbroorTylerbroor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What's the deal with Cerebus? Is it like Bone in that I'd have to throw down some serious cash to get the idea of the book?

Tylerbroor on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    MosBen wrote: »
    I think at least part of the reason things like Watchmen and From Hell aren't on the list is that no matter how important he is, it'd be pretty boring to have a top 20 list with half of them being Alan Moore's books. Granted, this is partly contradicted by having two Bendis books on there, but I'm sure I could squirm out of that if I had to.

well, let's see you squirm out if it, then

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Tylerbroor wrote: »
    What's the deal with Cerebus? Is it like Bone in that I'd have to throw down some serious cash to get the idea of the book?

FYI: There is a complete collected Bone in smaller, book-like format, ~$25. Worth picking up.

Algertman wrote: »
    Terrorbyte wrote: »
    indy cred list

Read my mind.

I'd rather reread Superman: Secret Identity than 80% of the books on that list.

I'd rather Morrison JLA than most of the junk on that list

The fact that you would consider most of the list to be junk tells me you haven't read any of it.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Zippy?

ZIPPY?

That's... that's... wow.... that's terrible

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • CassidyCassidy Registered User new member
    edited May 2007
    Watchmen would be a good pick for that list, but I think V for Vendetta deserves a spot more. Then again, I'm not sure either of those are life changing so much as just thought provoking.

Preacher deserves its spot for sure, though. It challenged my views of religion. It's a damn good story, too.

Cassidy on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So I just finished Watchmen, I finally bought it last week. Awesome stuff.... I don't know what else to say atm.

Prospicience on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Proto wrote: »

FYI: There is a complete collected Bone in smaller, book-like format, ~$25. Worth picking up.

indy cred list

Read my mind.

The fact that you would consider most of the list to be junk tells me you haven't read any of it.

Or it proves that I consider a comic good on how well of a comic it is, rather than how "indy" it is

Algertman on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    This should have just been The Invisibles twenty times, you know?

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

indy cred list

Read my mind.

Or it proves that I consider a comic good on how well of a comic it is, rather than how "indy" it is

But you've clearly not read the majority of what's made the list, so how can you possibly comment on the quality of the indy books represented?

Red or Alive on
    edited May 2007

indy cred list

Read my mind.

But you've clearly not read the majority of what's made the list, so how can you possibly comment on the quality of the indy books represented?
    actually yes, yes I have read pretty much the entire list. I prefer to read comics that stretch the human mind into newly formed shapes that are uncomprehinsible to the human eye.

Algertman on
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wow, quite a good list I have to throw a comic that should be on there though: History of Violence.

Also, many of these comics now have me intrigued...

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    actually yes, yes I have read pretty much the entire list. I prefer to read comics that stretch the human mind into newly formed shapes that are uncomprehinsible to the human eye.

Ah. That explains it.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited May 2007

You haven't read a damn thing on that list and we all know it.

Not to mention that at least half of that list isn't "indie".

Proto on
    edited May 2007

You haven't read a damn thing on that list and we all know it.

Not to mention that at least half of that list isn't "indie".

AH the old "If somebody doesn't like what I like it's beacsue they never read it" defense

Sorry, read them all.

Algertman on
    edited May 2007
    Sure you have.

Proto on
  • MoriartyMoriarty __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    indy cred list

this is what i was gonna say

except i would've spelled it indie

8-)

Moriarty on
    will suck dick for shock images and videos
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007

Yes and no. It starts out as being a rip-off of Conan the Barbarian with an Aardvark as the lead, and ends up about as far from there as you can possibly imagine. The early books range from good to crazy awesome, and then things take a turn for planet huh? about half way through. Sim converted to both religion and misogyny, and these both started to seep through into the comics until by the end there's often very little else in the issues other than Dave Sim ranting and expounding on his loco theological 'insights'. It's very possible that he's mad, but the book itself is worth reading, if only because Sim is one of the best artists and best writers comics have ever seen, and easily the best letterer (it sounds less impressive, until you see the things he does with lettering) of all time.

If you want to skip most of the crazy women-hating insano-religious stuff, read up till the end of Jaka's Story.

Bogart on
    edited May 2007
    Bogart wrote: »

Yes and no. It starts out as being a rip-off of Conan the Barbarian with an Aardvark as the lead, and ends up about as far from there as you can possibly imagine. The early books range from good to crazy awesome, and then things take a turn for planet huh? about half way through. Sim converted to both religion and misogyny, and these both started to seep through into the comics until by the end there's often very little else in the issues other than Dave Sim ranting and expounding on his loco theological 'insights'. It's very possible that he's mad, but the book itself is worth reading, if only because Sim is one of the best artists and best writers comics have ever seen, and easily the best letterer (it sounds less impressive, until you see the things he does with lettering) of all time.

If you want to skip most of the crazy women-hating insano-religious stuff, read up till the end of Jaka's Story.

We should probably mention that the "religion" in question is one of Sim's own invention, which he claims combines Christianity, Islam and Judaism into one bizarre package that also maintains that the female God of the Old Testament battles with the male God of the New, hence his theory that all of life is host to the conflict between the "Female Void" and the "Male Light". It's fair to say he hasn't managed to get over his divorce.

While I love Cerebus - there's nothing like it in comics, and precious few it can be compared to in any other medium - the latter half is essentially the chronicling of one man's mental disintegration. This has, as you might expect, limited appeal.

Red or Alive on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    We should probably mention that the "religion" in question is one of Sim's own invention, which he claims combines Christianity, Islam and Judaism into one bizarre package that also maintains that the female God of the Old Testament battles with the male God of the New, hence his theory that all of life is host to the conflict between the "Female Void" and the "Male Light". It's fair to say he hasn't managed to get over his divorce.

While I love Cerebus - there's nothing like it in comics, and precious few it can be compared to in any other medium - the latter half is essentially the chronicling of one man's mental disintegration. This has, as you might expect, limited appeal.

You're ruining the surprise.

The latter half does have some plus points. Guys is often very funny indeed, and his depictions of F Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway are stunning. But you're right, it's almost impossible to separate this stuff from the crazy religious/misogynist stuff. Which, considering the sheer jaw-dropping talent of Dave Sim (and Gerhard), is a shame.

Bogart on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have every Cerebus Phonebook

I only can't stand about 1/2 of Jaka's Story, the majority of Rick's Story, Latter Days and The Final Day.

I've read every single word in every book and I still don't understand issue 300 (final issue)

I don't think I've ever been so let down.

However, High Society, Church & State I and II, Guys, and the 4 smaller Mothers and Daughters (and Women) contain the best stories and art I've ever seen in comics.

I only wish I could find a copy of Cerebus 0 (the only five issues not in a phonebook)

Xaquin on
    edited May 2007
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I have every Cerebus Phonebook

I only can't stand about 1/2 of Jaka's Story, the majority of Rick's Story, Latter Days and The Final Day.

I've read every single word in every book and I still don't understand issue 300 (final issue)

I don't think I've ever been so let down.

However, High Society, Church & State I and II, Guys, and the 4 smaller Mothers and Daughters (and Women) contain the best stories and art I've ever seen in comics.

I only wish I could find a copy of Cerebus 0 (the only five issues not in a phonebook)

http://www.bookpalace.com/acatalog/Home_Cerebus_55.html

Where I got my copy. It's printed as a regular comic, so it doesn't wear as well as the phonebooks, but it has a pretty touching two-part coda to High Society (I still don't understand why it's still excluded from the HS collection to this day).

Red or Alive on
  • Brett AshleyBrett Ashley Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Comic that changed my life.... V for Vendetta. Unfortunately, I wasn't old enough to have read the comic prior to viewing the movie, but it's ammaazing.

Brett Ashley on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]