As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 8-18-10: Killed Him, Too

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    ex machina #50

was that the last issue? I'm only up to Trade #4, need to get the rest but no monies.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2010
    yep

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    Karl wrote: »
    So what was the point of this weeks Deadpool?
    Ghost Rider gives him the penance stare and he has a flashback to becoming Deadpool. That's it. Is there some hidden meaning and i'm just being dense?

I think it was just a fun fluff issue and partly saying that Wade has wronged himself more than anyone.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Karl wrote: »
    So what was the point of this weeks Deadpool?
    Ghost Rider gives him the penance stare and he has a flashback to becoming Deadpool. That's it. Is there some hidden meaning and i'm just being dense?

I think it was just a fun fluff issue and partly saying that Wade has wronged himself more than anyone.

Yeah, this is how I interpreted it too.

Furu on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Didn't they also make Wade an American?

Also, Ex Machina's finale was pretty cool, though Vaughn's decision to make it deliberately unsatisfying rubbed me the wrong way at first.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'll second T hunderbolts being good this week though I'm not a fan of how Moonstone is being drawn, she looks like a bad plastic surgery operation.

And Robos, I cant remember. He was recruited by the states and then went to Weapon X, I didn't see a reference that said he was American, though he did appear to be in the US Army when he tried to kill himself.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    You know, I read Hulk lastnight and I actually liked it...

The end there with the Hulk Facility and banner talking to Steve was great. I'm glad to have smart hulk back.

I wonder if this is setting up a status quo for the movie... I might be interesting to see a Live Action Smart Hulk...

Wait, smart hulk as in The motherfucking GREEN SCAR? Like, he's a permanent transformation?

Goddammit now I have to read Hulk. The Green Scar is the best Hulk.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

The end there with the Hulk Facility and banner talking to Steve was great. I'm glad to have smart hulk back.

I wonder if this is setting up a status quo for the movie... I might be interesting to see a Live Action Smart Hulk...

Wait, smart hulk as in The motherfucking GREEN SCAR? Like, he's a permanent transformation?

No, Loebs Hulk was just Banner, literally Banner except in Hulk's form.

Incredible Hulk is featuring the Green Scar, the one created on Planet Hulk.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am really, really happy about that Cloud 9 moment

She wore a tshirt and jeans underneath her skintight costume?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I am really, really happy about that Cloud 9 moment

She wore a tshirt and jeans underneath her skintight costume?
    We don't know how much time passed in that panel gutter. Could've been days.

Munch on
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    and by then it was too late. Cap had already seen everything

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    He'd seen it all.

Munch on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Hmm, that's a good point. I didn't remember that.

Well, either way, I do like it.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the last Incredible Hulk issue was immediately after his transformation back to green hulk. So something happened between that issue of Incredible Hulk and this weeks Hulk. I could see them calming down or doing something to Green Scar to make him Banner/Smart Hulk

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Hmm, that's a good point. I didn't remember that.

Well, either way, I do like it.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the last Incredible Hulk issue was immediately after his transformation back to green hulk. So something happened between that issue of Incredible Hulk and this weeks Hulk. I could see them calming down or doing something to Green Scar to make him Banner/Smart Hulk

Im pretty sure Loebs Hulk and Incredible Hulk take place in different continuity because theres no reason for Green Scar to turn into Banner Hulk and I don't think that there would be any time between him turning back into Hulk, fighting Skaar and Rulk. Hulk got his powers back, Rulk went off to claim the presidency while all the mini-Rulks were raging and Hulk turned up and beat him.

At the exact same time, he turned into Green Scar and went off and beat up Skaar.

So you just have to ignore Loeb's Hulk

EDIT: Banner would be too busy being a dad to Skaar to babysit a punk like Ross.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Actually if you read IH its kind of funny, at the start he says something along the lines of "If youre hearing this the good guys won, the Leader and Modoks plan has been defeated"

Theres no mention of Rulk at all in it, almost like Pak is denying all knowledge of him.

I love you Pak.

EDIT: Though She Rulk appears. Rather superfluously I might add, like she was forced in. She literally just appears, hits Skaar once and then thats it, she adds nothing to the plot and is ignored by everyone.

EDIT 2 EDITOR BOOGALOO:

Deadpool Corps

jesus christ these images are huge

Not shown in these scans but Lady Deadpool is smokin'

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Picked up the Planet Hulk trade, loved it, want more but I know that WWH was not as good and that I'm not at all interested in RULK related stuff. Recently heard that the Green Scar personality might be back, confirm?

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Picked up the Planet Hulk trade, for some reason I just started thinking about it a couple days back and now I find myself wanting more but I'm pretty sure I've heard nothing good post Planet Hulk.

Is WWH worth while? I already have no desire to read about Rulk. I think someone mentioned recently that Hulk is back to being the Green Scar/Planet Hulk version of himself again (confirm?).

I'd say WWH is worth picking up. The art gets pretty bad the last two issues though, JRJR was obviously in a rush to finish it, but overall it's a fun story with great action scenes. You might also want to pick up the WWH: Incredible Hulk trade along with it because it acts as a great companion piece but it isn't vital. Finally I'd also get the two Skaar: Son of Hulk trades just to complete Greg Paks Hulk trilogy.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Picked up the Planet Hulk trade, for some reason I just started thinking about it a couple days back and now I find myself wanting more but I'm pretty sure I've heard nothing good post Planet Hulk.

Is WWH worth while? I already have no desire to read about Rulk. I think someone mentioned recently that Hulk is back to being the Green Scar/Planet Hulk version of himself again (confirm?).

I'd say WWH is worth picking up. The art gets pretty bad the last two issues though, JRJR was obviously in a rush to finish it, but overall it's a fun story with great action scenes. You might also want to pick up the WWH: Incredible Hulk trade along with it because it acts as a great companion piece but it isn't vital. Finally I'd also get the two Skaar: Son of Hulk trades just to complete Greg Paks Hulk trilogy.

I like this advice. Hopefully I will remember to check for damage before purchase this time since my Planet Hulk trade has 3-4 pages (thankfully the final 3-4 pages) where some sort of liquid glue substance has caused a series of holes/distress. *awaits "it's not glue" jokes*

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »

I like this advice. Hopefully I will remember to check for damage before purchase this time since my Planet Hulk trade has 3-4 pages (thankfully the final 3-4 pages) where some sort of liquid glue substance has caused a series of holes/distress. *awaits "it's not glue" jokes*

I really liked WWH, it's filled with action and the characterisation is pretty good too. Worth picking up IMHO.

Solar on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2010
    just got around to reading last week's Locke & Key: Keys to the Kingdom #1

everyone should be reading Locke & Key it's so good

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Interesting that you guys are talking about Planet Hulk. I borrowed the trade from my friend and have been reading it. I'm about half-way through it right now, but reading this book is definitely my moment of the week. This story is so good.

Typically speaking, I'm not a Hulk fan, because Hulk books tend to be very formulaic -- Hulk gets madder and madder until he is strong enough to overcome whatever adversary he's facing. Its just a matter of getting him angry enough to overcome.

But with this Planet Hulk, there's just so much more to it. It isn't just a tale of Hulk getting pushed to the proper anger thresh-hold.

And the funny thing is, I read World War Hulk already, so I know how all this ends. But I'm still really enjoying the journey in getting there.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That really isn't the typical hulk story, though

At least, hasn't been for a while

That is the typical bad Hulk story

read all of Peter David's Hulk stuff right now

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TLB, what aren't you reading Marvel Universe vs The Punisher?

Aside from Frank not being a cobbled together half-zombie, this book is awesome. (I still need the second issue.)

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I will be when I go to the comic shop in like

September

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    TLB read Locke & Key

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    sell it to me in one sentence

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    fuck you i won't do what you tell me

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    you will and you will like it

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    just go into it not knowing anything like i did

it makes it so much better

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    man I might hate it though

and then I gotta beat you up

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    you won't hate it because it's so good

also you won't hate it because you can't beat me up

unless you want to get on someone tall's shoulders and have a chicken fight

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is Locke and Key cthulhu type stuff

Sick of cthulhu analogues

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aside from the name of the town being Lovecraft, it really has nothing too in common. At least as of the first two trades.

Oh man, Ex Machina ending was something... After following that series for the last three years it's really sad to see it go.
    BANG!

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MOTW: placing an order for James Sturm's Market Day and the Sub-Mariner: The Depths hardcover Sunday morning, they arrived this morning courtesy Amazon Prime shipping.

Skimmed James Sturm, realized I was going to get all fascinated by the art, set it on a chair in my office so I can settle in to it properly this evening.

desc on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Depths is really good, except for random panels where everyone's eyelids mysteriously disappear and the reader is left with unblinking, bulging stares.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

nope

i can't really sell it well

basically it's about a family who moves to their dad's old mansion after he's killed in front of them (and they escape being killed too). then the kids find all these keys that do different magical things

there's a ton of suspense and horror and blood and guts and maybe titties i don't remember

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Keith wrote: »

Basically it's about a family who moves to their dad's old mansion after he's killed in front of them (and they escape being killed too). then the kids find all these keys that do different magical things

there's a ton of suspense and horror and blood and guts and maybe titties i don't remember

See, now that's selling a comic.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Magical bloody titties? Sold!

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Magical titties are worth the price of admission, DnD has survived on this concept for years.

Solar on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Dr. Frenchenstein on