As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Spider-Man 3 Discussion Thread

• Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

But my big gripe? MJ is a hostage. AGAIN! Come on. Brock is obsessed with Gwen. Why isn't Gwen up there in the taxi? Why?
    Why is it always saving people from high places? That's like, all he does ever. Gwen falling out of a building, MG in webcab, I dunno, too much "I must save this person from falling to death." Spidey does other things from time to time.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Don't know about any of you but I'd fuck the hell out of Gwen

Algertman on
  • Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Amen. Bryce Dallas Howard is a lot hotter as a blonde than a redhead. I hope they keep her in the sequels.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    Daemon_AconisDaemon_Aconis Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Algertman wrote: »
    Don't know about any of you but I'd fuck the hell out of Gwen.

Honestly, if Peter ever had a reason to go emo, it was when he fucked up any chance with Gwen by looking at MJ at the end of his dance number. He had her going up to that point, and then he loses one gorgeous piece of womanhood with his stupidity.

I really hope they'll say forget it to the continuity of the comic books and make an entirely fresh approach. Have the bridge scene with Gwen, and have it pan out differently. Gwen > MJ.

Daemon_Aconis on
    unitedstatesofcommunismvy1.gif
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Something else while I'm at it. A bomb detonated next to Harry's head and he got a little scarred up. The same type of bomb, since we have no reason to believe there is any difference between them, vaporised both the Symbiote and Brock as far as we were led to believe.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hasen't everyone been saying those were two different bombs? They said the one that blew up with the symbiote and Brock was a disintigration bomb or something, and the one that blew up next to Harry was just a regular one.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Gee, good thing ol' Petey knew one from the other then when he threw it in his friends face.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think the reason venom didn't get more "face time" was because even a glimpse of that angry maw would probably give a 10 year old troubles sleeping let alone what we saw in the movie. I had my unhappy face on everytime the 'venom suit' slipped back to reveal foreman, but I understand why they did it.

Shurakai on
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Venom looks all sorts of gay though. They got him all wrong. He should be HUGE. And he is supposed to look like sludge, not a buff looking spider-man suit.

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • Options
    opieopie Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You know what scene I thought was really sweet? I know it was yet another "Race to get to a falling person before the ground does" scene, but Gwen's fall was a sweet sequence. Like when Spidey nearly gets crushed between the two giant chunks of debris. Pure visual oragasm.

opie on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Hobbes wrote: »
    Venom looks all sorts of gay though. They got him all wrong. He should be HUGE. And he is supposed to look like sludge, not a buff looking spider-man suit.
    AmazingSpider-Man316.jpg
    Yeap, very sludgey and huge akin to the Hulk.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I hope you are being serious.

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    opie wrote: »
    You know what scene I thought was really sweet? I know it was yet another "Race to get to a falling person before the ground does" scene, but Gwen's fall was a sweet sequence. Like when Spidey nearly gets crushed between the two giant chunks of debris. Pure visual oragasm.

i thought it was awesome when harry was helping peter vault up the building right before that

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Servo wrote: »
    opie wrote: »

i thought it was awesome when harry was helping peter vault up the building right before that

That was one of the perks of the team up.

opie on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    they didn't need any special training to work together

clearly shra is a big pile!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I hate when people make Venom hulk sized. He can be a huge guy, but it defies all logic to make him ridiculously huge.

opie on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Not even a little bit. Venom debuted as little more than a bulkier Spider-Man with a Creepy-ass smile. Through the horror that was the 90's he evolved in the sludgey abomination we know today.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    haha, i like how that issue's cover lets you know right away that spidey is the non-mutant superhero.

sorry folks! if it's mutants you want, perhaps i could entice you with our line of x-comics? little-known, but they pack a wallop!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    UFOffUFOff Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Not even a little bit. Venom debuted as little more than a bulkier Spider-Man with a Creepy-ass smile. Through the horror that was the 90's he evolved in the sludgey abomination we know today.

Yet another piece of blame to lay at the feet of Erik Larsen.

UFOff on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...yeah
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    haha, i like how that issue's cover lets you know right away that spidey is the non-mutant superhero.

sorry folks! if it's mutants you want, perhaps i could entice you with our line of x-comics? little-known, but they pack a wallop!

I remember a spidey comic that revolved around the entire point that he wasn't a mutant. Magneto was trying to recruit him and he was all "I'm not a muant! There's a reason I put 'Man' in my name!".

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    i believe professor x has likewise tried to recruit spidey once or twice, despite the fact that he has a giant computer specifically for telling him who is a mutant and who is not

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I know he started off as small, and I didn't mean HUGE, I meant HUGE. Like this picture.

CrouchVenom.jpg

VenomTransformation.gif

Not like Carnage's spawn Toxin

ToxinSpidey.jpg

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Or even this

GimmeaKissSpider-Man.gif

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    They're saying that the later Venom artwork is a bit overboard and shouldn't be use, not that that style of Venom doesn't exist.

I myself really like his first appearance. I have the trade. When he just shows up at May's and is helping her fold laundry...it's so creepy.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Well when I think Venom, I think overpowered psycho, not wimpy thats seventies show guy with blonde hair.

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    i'm glad you're not sam raimi, then

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't really like the Ultimate Brock look either. But I can understand it.

I would have preferred someone bigger, definately. Who would just look like a gigantic Spider-Man the first time MJ sees him...until that giant mouth opens up.

Also, camo-Venom dropping a bulldozer on Spidey would be awesome to see in live-action.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Algertman wrote: »
    Don't know about any of you but I'd fuck the hell out of Gwen

Now see, this I can agree with 100%.

Servo: It's best not to confront Hobbes in any way. He's just gonna make stupid jokes nobody finds funny, then post 3 more times to post whatever he found on Google that's even REMOTELY related to the subject at hand.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Size is kind of irrelevant when you're operating with super-strength.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The "olol I eat brains" version of Venom ranks up there with the clone saga as one of the most terrible 90's spidey ideas.

Venom was cool and creepy when Eddie and the symbiote were driven and focused on their hatred of spider-man/peter. If you want Spidey to fight a brainless monster that mirrors his powers you may as well just use the fucking doppleganger.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Daemon_AconisDaemon_Aconis Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    i believe professor x has likewise tried to recruit spidey once or twice, despite the fact that he has a giant computer specifically for telling him who is a mutant and who is not

I thought the ultimate cause of the 'mutants' in comics was the difficulty in creating believable origin triggers for so many characters without it feeling hackneyed, ultimately ending up with the idea of 'they aren't caused by accidents, but rather mutations from birth!' That and characters like the hulk, spider-man, etc had their dormant x-gene triggered by their origin event, so that they were indeed mutants.

Or am I imagining things again? Honest question, I'm not a big comic guru.

Daemon_Aconis on
    unitedstatesofcommunismvy1.gif
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    There is definitely an intentional difference in the MU between "mutants" who have their powers due to the x-gene (or wahtever its called) and "mutates" like spider-man, who have their powers due to changes caused later in life.

Spider-man isn't considered a mutant, even though he is presumably indistinguishable from one to anyone who doesn't know how he got his powers.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well it hasn't been specified as an example but I feel the need to point out that Spidey's encounter with the X-Men in USM, they did not show up to recruit him. They were picking up Geldoff, who was a mutant.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Isn't it Mutant and Meta-Human in Marvel?

Spidey is a Meta-human. Not a mutant, as he was born a human, but he has powers beyond a humans.
    Cyclops is a mutant. He was born that way and no amount of avoiding radioactive beam-shooting arachnids would alter that.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I thought the ultimate cause of the 'mutants' in comics was the difficulty in creating believable origin triggers for so many characters without it feeling hackneyed, ultimately ending up with the idea of 'they aren't caused by accidents, but rather mutations from birth!' That and characters like the hulk, spider-man, etc had their dormant x-gene triggered by their origin event, so that they were indeed mutants.

Or am I imagining things again? Honest question, I'm not a big comic guru.

That all kinda falls away though when you consider Rick Jones and all those people Hank Pym gave Pym particles too. Occasionally you get the odd person having their "latent powers" unlocked but in the long run it's easier to just go by the fact Mutants = Mutants, People who didn't magically get the powers once they started hair from funny places =/= mutants.

Blake T on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Isn't it Mutant and Meta-Human in Marvel?

Spidey is a Meta-human. Not a mutant, as he was born a human, but he has powers beyond a humans.
    Cyclops is a mutant. He was born that way and no amount of avoiding radioactive beam-shooting arachnids would alter that.

I thought meta humans was a DC term?

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Well the bigger thing isn't really the biggest reason why I have an issue with the new venom. His suit looks like spider-mans! It should be sludge-looking, not web stich thing going on.

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
  • Options
    VashinVashin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    i dont know if any body has noticed but the Spiderman 3 toy version of venom looks much more like the comic book version of venom then the one on the movie.

more beefed up and showing the huge tounge

Vashin on
    megadoomer311.png
    Pokemon Diamond:3394 0249 9567
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Firstvenom.jpg
    Here's the version of Venom they went with. Simple, creepy as fuck, and looks like he could beat the hell outta Peter. I think they made the right choice because A) We already have Sandman who is causing sand to fly everywhere mid-battle, we don't need a goopy Venom doing the same with his suit's "sludge" and B) The original appearance Venom is much better than the terrible evolutions he had during the 90's, as I have already said.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I wish some decent pics had hit the net already (god what are you pirates waiting for, someone get a copy of it already!) but I really don't agree with you. The black suit looked like a black suit when peter had it on, but when it transferred to Eddie it became much more like the slick, beefed up venom we know (and love?)

EDIT: Found a good one!
    1662.jpg

Hehe no seriously, I thought he looked good.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg