As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MAGFest's Jamspace returns for PAX PRIME

• mostlyharmlessmostlyharmless Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I always preferred Crash Man's theme from MM 2, but that's just me.

mostlyharmless on
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So is this going to be like the beginning of so I married an ax murderer, except it'll be nerd poetry recited over a smooth jazz rendition of napalm man's theme from mega man 5 in the background?

Yes.

ZeroHourHero on
  • TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Are most of the groups organized pre-PAX, or is there ample opportunity for impromptu mash-ups of musicians just to get up there and play? I know that sort of thing will certainly be welcome, but I'm wondering how frequently it'll happen. :)

Teletheus on
    PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Teletheus wrote: »
    Are most of the groups organized pre-PAX, or is there ample opportunity for impromptu mash-ups of musicians just to get up there and play? I know that sort of thing will certainly be welcome, but I'm wondering how frequently it'll happen. :)

I think that is the majority and the intention. I'll be showing up hoping to just jump in with people.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This just sounds, so fascinating.

i can't play an instrument well, and I'm mostly tone deaf anyways.

but i can appreciate a good jam.

lonelyahava on
    edited August 2010
    Infidel wrote: »
    I think that is the majority and the intention. I'll be showing up hoping to just jump in with people.

Awesome. Looking forward to it.

Teletheus on
  • chicazulchicazul Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The schedule is out! Is it time to arrange a meeting of the ukulele army?

Prime times to me look to be afternoons, after the Penny Arcade panels are over.

Anyone have suggestions of songs we might all know?

chicazul on
  • NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Jamspace will be hosting some totally sweet chiptune concerts on saturday afternoon. If you miss them, then you probably hate freedom.

Check out the flyer:
    30sc50y.jpg

NickTheNewbie on
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How much of the time at the jam space this year will be solely for sound checks? I say at least 60%

The_Reflection on
    edited August 2010
    How much of the time at the jam space this year will be solely for sound checks? I say at least 60%

Sorry about the soundchecks. We were constantly having to tear down the stage for panels and concerts through the weekend, and then set everything open jam back up to tip top perfection. You think it's easy making you sound good? :P

NickTheNewbie on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ooohhhh taking down and setting up audio equipment.

I miss doing that....

lonelyahava on
  • BelgandBelgand Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    While it's certainly a jam space I think it'd certainly be helpful if there were some relevant scores and tabs available. It could be both a way to get things going and help out if there's one person who doesn't know a particular tune.

Scott Pilgrim got to me and I've been spending some time this past week learning the bass line to Final Fantasy IV (Fight 1 that is).

Belgand on
  • MarySueMarySue Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Belgand wrote: »
    Scott Pilgrim got to me and I've been spending some time this past week learning the bass line to Final Fantasy IV (Fight 1 that is).

Oh, thank God, I thought it was only me.

MarySue on
    Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
    edited August 2010
    MarySue wrote: »

Nope, me too. (:

I might bring my haphazard assortment of sheet music, but I've mostly been collecting solo arrangements.

chicazul on
    edited August 2010
    chicazul wrote: »

Nope, me too. (:

The worst part is realizing that it's at 160 bpm and I'm still not quite good enough to actually play it [strike]well[/strike] at all except for the first two bars. Still, it's great practice for playing octaves.

At this point the geekiest song I actually know is merely "In The Garage" and that was one of the first songs I learned. :(

Belgand on
    edited August 2010
    The worst part is realizing that it's at 160 bpm and I'm still not quite good enough to actually play it [strike]well[/strike] at all except for the first two bars. Still, it's great practice for playing octaves.

At this point the geekiest song I actually know is merely "In The Garage" and that was one of the first songs I learned. :(

I cannot play anything well, but I soldier on regardless. I haven't even bothered trying to learn non-geeky songs; I'm just trying to get some of my nerd repetoire up to snuff before PAX.

(Oh god why am I not practicing RIGHT NOW?!)

chicazul on
    edited August 2010
    So what other standards should I be furiously woodshedding? It'd be nice to have a rough idea of what I can expect.

Belgand on
  • MarySueMarySue Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

No, the *worst* part is being someone who got an F in Music Theory nine years in a row who's discovered no one's bothered to tab the darn thing out for ukulele.

I have a very, very, miniscule, tiny number of songs memorized for the ukulele (essentially, two Johnny Cash songs, one Neil Diamond song, and the Bubble Bobble theme). I can usually play better if I can see the chords/tabs in front of me. So I'm either a) spending most of the weekend creating a cheat-chord booklet, or b) dragging along my netbook with many, many, many Chordie pages saved to an SD card.

Anyways, Game Tabs dot Net. Just sayin'.

MarySue on
    Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
    edited August 2010

Thank you! How have I not found this before? I suppose because I've looked for uke-specific tabs or sheet music--guitar/bass tabs are nigh-useless with my chosen instruments, but they're possible to transcribe. Busy weekend of notating with MuseScore in my future.

Alas for the "jam" part of Jamspace, my imrovisational skills are marginal at best. Will certainly spend part of Friday figuring out which scores to print off for the rest of the weekend.

chicazul on
    edited August 2010

Thank you! How have I not found this before? I suppose because I've looked for uke-specific tabs or sheet music--guitar/bass tabs are nigh-useless with my chosen instruments, but they're possible to transcribe. Busy weekend of notating with MuseScore in my future.

You can also find some stuff up on http://www.squaresound.com, but it's mainly arranged for piano and, well, it's all Square.
    Alas for the "jam" part of Jamspace, my imrovisational skills are marginal at best. Will certainly spend part of Friday figuring out which scores to print off for the rest of the weekend.

Yeah, that's more what I meant. I can usually find tabs or score out there, but the question is generally what would be in my best interests to learn or print off. When it comes to game music there's just so, so much of it out there. Unlike everything else where I can usually just be listening to a song and think "Hey, the bass line to this sounds fairly simple, I bet I could learn this."

Belgand on
    edited August 2010
    You can also find some stuff up on http://www.squaresound.com, but it's mainly arranged for piano and, well, it's all Square.

I've looked at a lot of stuff from there, but there are so many different arrangements that I don't know which are worth learning. I know a lot of Square tracks sound great with cello, but there seems little point to memorizing a backing part if no one knows the lead. This is the kind of stuff I will end up trying to sight-read, once someone tells me which songs to download.

Yeah, that's more what I meant. I can usually find tabs or score out there, but the question is generally what would be in my best interests to learn or print off. When it comes to game music there's just so, so much of it out there. Unlike everything else where I can usually just be listening to a song and think "Hey, the bass line to this sounds fairly simple, I bet I could learn this."

Time for declarative statements: if Jamspace is going to be back at PAX next year, we need a songbook. If we want to really play with each other, we'll need to not only know the same songs, but songs arranged for multiple instruments--I've mostly memorized recognizable melodies, which is fine for soloing but basically useless for jamming.

This will be my project at PAX: collect thematically-appropriate songs that people can have fun with, possibly even specific arrangements for multiple instruments. I will collate the resulting scores and tabs into a package that will be freely available as a starting point for "things to learn for Jamspace".

I'll rely on observations of what people enjoy playing or hearing at Jamspace, but I won't spend all weekend there--so feel free to suggest things! I can be contacted here, on Twitter (@chicazul), or wandering around PAX in outlandish outfits.

I'm sure the musically gifted won't require anything like this, but hacks like me need all the help we can get. (:

chicazul on
    edited August 2010

Time for declarative statements: if Jamspace is going to be back at PAX next year, we need a songbook. If we want to really play with each other, we'll need to not only know the same songs, but songs arranged for multiple instruments--I've mostly memorized recognizable melodies, which is fine for soloing but basically useless for jamming.

This will be my project at PAX: collect thematically-appropriate songs that people can have fun with, possibly even specific arrangements for multiple instruments. I will collate the resulting scores and tabs into a package that will be freely available as a starting point for "things to learn for Jamspace".

I'll rely on observations of what people enjoy playing or hearing at Jamspace, but I won't spend all weekend there--so feel free to suggest things! I can be contacted here, on Twitter (@chicazul), or wandering around PAX in outlandish outfits.

I'm sure the musically gifted won't require anything like this, but hacks like me need all the help we can get. (:

This is exactly what we need. At the very least so there's some sort of common ground. Not that you can't take off from there into something a bit more improvisational, but having a place to start should at least help.

Belgand on
    edited August 2010
    Chicazul, you have found a way to make this idea even more awesome.

I tip my hat to you, madam.

Teletheus on
  • BigskaBigska Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is AWESOME POSSUM! This might just be the push I need to start writing/playing music again...

Seriously, I am going to spend these last 12 days trying to write/figure out as much music as I can on my Korg DS plus and Jam Sessions. Even if that doesn't pan out I will at least be singing along with ANYTHING and EVERYTHING!!! o_O

Oh and BTW Is their even a way for me to patch in my DSes and play with you peoples? If not I can play a bit of guit but nothing more than ska and punk chords. I highly look forward to playing with you all!

Bigska on
    o_O "I think I made an PWN. I also think I have stumbled upon a new noun. hmm... most troublesome..."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SovietMudkipzSovietMudkipz Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is pretty awesome, too bad I don't know how to play naything.

SovietMudkipz on
    camo_sig.png
  • CHEESUSCHEESUS Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For the "jam" part of the jam space musicians could just improvise with a very small set of chord changes. Things like a Bb blues would not be terribly hard for most people to play. Just set a very simple chord progression down and let the music happen! We could even just do funky vamps over a single chord, you don't need intense music theory to make music happen.

CHEESUS on
    edited August 2010
    Bigska wrote: »
    Oh and BTW Is their even a way for me to patch in my DSes and play with you peoples? If not I can play a bit of guit but nothing more than ska and punk chords. I highly look forward to playing with you all!

That's doable. We might have to rummage around a bit for the right cords and converters, but we should be able to plug you into the board.

NickTheNewbie on
  • BigskaBigska Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bigska wrote: »

That's doable. We might have to rummage around a bit for the right cords and converters, but we should be able to plug you into the board.

Sweet! +1 Awesome for you good sir!

Bigska on
    o_O "I think I made an PWN. I also think I have stumbled upon a new noun. hmm... most troublesome..."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2010
    Get your ass to the jamspace and ROCK OOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT!!!!!!!!

NickTheNewbie on
  • samlingsamling Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    Out of curiosity, is there a safe place I would be able to leave my guitar? I happened to bring it without knowing there would be a jam space (I'm headed back to school after PAX so I've got nearly everything with me), and I would love to jam, but I also don't want to be schlepping my guitar around all day. Hopefully I'll make it over to the jam space today or tomorrow.

samling on
    edited September 2010
    samling wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, is there a safe place I would be able to leave my guitar? I happened to bring it without knowing there would be a jam space (I'm headed back to school after PAX so I've got nearly everything with me), and I would love to jam, but I also don't want to be schlepping my guitar around all day. Hopefully I'll make it over to the jam space today or tomorrow.

The people running the jamspace will keep an eye on it for you if you want to leave it there.

NickTheNewbie on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rumor has it our own JonnyNero will be doing a little 15 minute segment tomorrow between 11:30 and 12Noon.

JonnyNero. Guitar. Gameboy. Be there.

Sample and Album of Jonny Nero and the rest of the crew.

/endshamelessplug

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
    edited September 2010
    Looks like duke nukem sure enjoyed jamspace!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnZUWm8ouX8

NickTheNewbie on
  • MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Rumor has it our own JonnyNero will be doing a little 15 minute segment tomorrow between 11:30 and 12Noon.

JonnyNero. Guitar. Gameboy. Be there.

Sample and Album of Jonny Nero and the rest of the crew.

/endshamelessplug

I came late, but I caught a couple videos for the Community DVD. Will upload later tonight.

MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
  • krejkrej Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have to say the chiptunes showcase on Sat. was one of my highlights of the weekend - pretty much what I want the concerts to be! Really hope this can happen again next year (and possibly in a bigger space, too).

krej on
  • S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Jamspace was AWESOME

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just wanna say, as disappointed as I was with the jamspace at PAX east due to all the sound checks and empty time(no offense), the jamspace at PAX this year provided me with two of my favorite times. The Knife City concert was fucking AMAZING. Luke is so good, and that last song, they do you think you're better off alone one, was fantastic.

Also the Saturday night/Sunday morning 1:30am performance of my new favorite song "Soup Plantation" was the best way to end the best day of PAX for me this year.

Thank you jamspace

The_Reflection on
  • S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I just wish PAX had a real like RAVE with like hardstyle music

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
    edited September 2010
    I just wanna say, as disappointed as I was with the jamspace at PAX east due to all the sound checks and empty time(no offense), the jamspace at PAX this year provided me with two of my favorite times. The Knife City concert was fucking AMAZING. Luke is so good, and that last song, they do you think you're better off alone one, was fantastic.

Also the Saturday night/Sunday morning 1:30am performance of my new favorite song "Soup Plantation" was the best way to end the best day of PAX for me this year.

Thank you jamspace

We're happy to oblige.

SEE YOU NEXT MISSION
    magfest

NickTheNewbie on
    edited September 2010
    Jamspace was one of my favorite parts of PAX this year. I saw so many different musical styles run through there, and I got to play drums for a cello-driven rendition of Still Alive and keys for a sax-led jam session IN THE SAME DAY. So much fun. I really hope this ends up being a mainstay at both PAXs (PAXes?).

Teletheus on
This discussion has been closed.