As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tell me what GBA games to buy!

KarnKarn Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
I frequently have long breaks at school and started trying to play games on my phone but I have suddenly remembered that I actually own an old GBA. I don't have many games though, just some pac-man collection, Mario Kart, Advance Wars, and Bomberman. What I am looking for are games a long the lines of simple time wasters, like ports of arcade classics or puzzle games (like Bejeweled) or even a bowling, pool, golf, tennis, or chess game. I suppose shmups would work too.

Basically anything that I can pick up and play and then put down without any real investment into the game play.

Also, I've been thinking about getting an SP, but what is an acceptable price for one? Is picking up a used one a good idea? If so, what should I look out for and how much should I pay?

I've considered getting a DS but I don't have money to be throwing around for a DS when I probably will only be buying a couple of GBA games at the moment.

KarnsigRescue.gif
Karn on

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    TNMT is fantastic, its modern old skool to the x-treme.

Other than that, I love Ninja 5-0, and the Megaman Zero games.

LewieP on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd recommend a GB Micro over an SP personally, it has a headphones jack and is smaller and sexier.

As for games, WarioWare, Fire Emblem, Metroid, basically anything made by Intelligent Systems is a safe bet. Also Pokemon.

bruin on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've been enjoying Scurge: Hive on the DS, which is pretty much exactly the same on the GBA.

It's like Metroid, but with an isometric top-down perspective. It works well for short sessions, because save points are so frequent.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Pokemon Emerald!

It's very "pick up and play" for an RPG.

Taya on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Karn wrote: »
    Basically anything that I can pick up and play and then put down without any real investment into the game play.
    Sounds like Wario Ware would be perfect.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Fire Emblem was a godsend when I was in high school. Play during breaks, and then just shut it off whenever theres class or something else to do. It automatically saves every time you so much as move a unit, so it's just beautiful for playing whenever you have time.

Alternatively, I'm going to repeat the recomendations for Wario Ware and Pokemon Emerald.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Chen wrote: »
    Sounds like Wario Ware would be perfect.
    Yes, yes, yes. It's the ultimate pick-up-and-play game.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    How the hell did I forget about Wario Ware?! I was thinking about Fire Emblem, but was wondering how "involved" the game play would be, compared to something like, say, Arkanoid (for a random example.)

Also, aren't the newer Pokemon games a bit more complicated than Red or Blue? Also, having no one to play with or trade with kind of takes away part of what made Blue so fun for me. :(

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    There are so many great GBA games that are all so cheap now, you have so many options.

Karnaaj Rally was a great top-down racing game, good for short bursts if you're a racing fan.
    Space Invaders was also pretty good, I believe it had a save anytime feature, as well as the classic game for short high score runs.
    All the Tony Hawk's were very good, especially for pick up and play.
    There are also a ton of puzzle, shooter, side-scroller (CT Special Forces and Metal Slug come to mind), and fighting games which were great. Take a look at IGN's reviews and sort them by score, you should be able to find plenty of games for burst playing.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    Tyrant526Tyrant526 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd recommend the sonic advance games, I believe they had a auto-save after each level. Also Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. Awesome, awesome game. Short battles and I can't recall about the saving.

And you totally need to pick up an SP. It is such an advancement over the GBA its amazing. A micro works too, but I find them too small. Its kinda funny, I remember how bright I thought my NESp was. But after going back to it after DSL it almost looks dull.

And third about Emerald, although I also toss up FireRed or Leafgreen.

Tyrant526 on
    Maul360.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Metroid: Zero Mission. It's a shame the GBA never saw Super Metroid, but this was pretty close. I can only hope we get a "real" (not Prime) Metroid on the DS.

Darlan on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis

worth whatever you have to spend and whatever depths you have to go to.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    commathecommathe Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Dr. Mario/Puzzle League is one of my favorites to leave in there.

commathe on
  • Options
    EvilEvincarEvilEvincar Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    On the Pokemon games, Emerald is the best, since that has the most single-player replay value. Remember, if you have a DS, Diamond and Pearl link to the GBA games. Heck, after I transfer all of mine to my Diamond game, I'll probably restart my Emerald and Leaf Green games (thus gaining more legends).

If you haven't got another version of it, Zelda: A Link to the Past is a good choice, although I've also heard good reviews of Minish Cap (you should be able to find LttP for $20 though).

I haven't seen any mention of the Castlevania games, which all were great.
    And I'll back up everyone else with Fire Emblem.

And lastely, I recommend getting Street Fighter Alpha 3. It really isn't made for hardcore players (if only because it uses 4 buttons) and has some stuff noticeably missing (story), but the gameplay remains intact and is still great if you're a casual player.

EvilEvincar on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    EvilEvincar.png
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    i know i do this sometimes in recommend threads - but I personally LOVE my gba collection

there are but a few titles or series I would consider adding to it

http://users.ign.com/collection/Deusfaux

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    pac-man-collection.jpg
    Gotta love those classics!

And if you can find it, you should at least consider it.

Edit: And unless you can get Kirby's Adventure for Wii's Virtual Console...

picture.jpg
    Pretty much the same game, given a Super Mario All-Stars makeover, and it is oh so pretty on DS and SP screens.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    oldtypeoldtype Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Please buy Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

Please.

And I'd personally recommend the Micro. With the DS being what it is, the Micro is the only portable gaming system at the moment that lets you game in public without looking like a complete dork. (Even if, like me, it is the truth.)

oldtype on
    Pokemon Friend Code: 0688 1761 6446

Feel free to add, just PM me.
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    The Micro was super lame when it came out because it was way too expensive, but now they run $49.99 brand new at Game Crazy, and come with three different faceplates, so having a super-portable GBA is not that big of an investment. I'm considering getting one, even though I already have an SP and a DS Lite.

Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World (the first one with Yoshi) is a player's choice game ($20), and you can save in between levels. Plus there are a ton of levels, especially if you try and find all of the secret areas.

Doom and Doom II hit the GBA, and they're pretty awesome for just pick up and play kill some stuff for five minutes or whatever. Wolfenstien 3D also hit the GBA, but those games are pretty hard to find nowadays.

The Pokemon games are pretty good, because if you've got a while in between classes, you can continue the story, or if you only have a few minutes you can just powerlevel for a while.

Einhander on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Alien Hominid, if you're into importing or live in Europe, is a great run'n'gun. The best r'n'g the GBA has to offer I might have to say. Gunstar Super/Future Heroes comes close but the lack of one hit kills really takes the edge of it. Other treasure games like Astro Boy and Advance Guardian Heroes works too even if I'm hardly impressed by any of their efforts on the GBA. Treasure is on the other hand known as a love/hate company. Either you swear by them as our new pixely masters or you run into the wilderness and start praying to other trees. *ehum*

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I got a micro today. Pretty awesome for the price. Big leap over my regular GBA. I imagine Pac-man Collection and Mario Kart will tide me over until I can pick up that Dr. Mario game and Warior Ware. Also Space Invaders. Definitely Space Invaders.

Quick question, I was looking at the GBA game list on wikipedia and saw "Donkey Kong" listed. Is the original Donkey Kong available for the GBA? Also, I didn't see Bubble Bobble, which made me sad. Is it included in a pack that perhaps I do not know the name of?

Is Final Fantasy Tactics really a light game? I am a bit weary of buying a game that I don't think I have enough determination to finish.

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Very rare but Ninja Five-O is all kinds of awesome. It's like bionic commando a shinobi had a beautiful love child.

solsovly on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I got a micro today. Pretty awesome for the price. Big leap over my regular GBA. I imagine Pac-man Collection and Mario Kart will tide me over until I can pick up that Dr. Mario game and Warior Ware. Also Space Invaders. Definitely Space Invaders.

Quick question, I was looking at the GBA game list on wikipedia and saw "Donkey Kong" listed. Is the original Donkey Kong available for the GBA? Also, I didn't see Bubble Bobble, which made me sad. Is it included in a pack that perhaps I do not know the name of?

Is Final Fantasy Tactics really a light game? I am a bit weary of buying a game that I don't think I have enough determination to finish.

I'd also like to thank you guys for the help. I didn't even know Micro's existed until you told me, and now I have one and think it is awesome!

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Gunstar Super Heroes. Also,

LewieP wrote: »
    I love Ninja 5-0

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Whoa! Back up there a second!

If you are considering getting the ORIGINAL Wario Ware, then reconsider your purchase of Puzzle League/Dr. Mario. Inside Wario Ware Inc. is Dr. Mario as an unlockable, but just renamed as Dr. Wario.

But, you know, Puzzle League.....

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    nihilnihil Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ninja 5-O is awesome but damn nigh impossible to find. Get down with the pokeymans, they are now cheap. Street Fighter Alpha is again awesome but it will cost you. On the cheap gba love? My recommends? Minnish Cap was fun, Wario Ware/ Twisted...oh twisted was a delight, it does make you look like a putz in public though, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, only game after Final Fantasy 7 (summon materia hunting) that I invested more than 100 hours into. Summon Knight games are a good time, but not very pick up and play. Dotstream and Coloris take up most of my time now, import action. Btw...whomever mentioned alien hominid for the gba...I hate you, I hear it is sexy and portable. I am AMERICAN sir and as such enjoy said game on either my gamecube or 360!

nihil on
    doubttom.png

on the ps3 - doubttom
    on wii - 2056 0358 8899 2028
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm thinking of the Konami collection, and the Midway collection. Yay or nay? I want some classic gaming goodness. I heard some bad things about the Namco Collection, but if it isn't worse than the Pac-man collection I will consider it too.

Also is Virtual Kasparov a good chess game or is there a better one? Additionally, I am in the market for a pool game, but don't see any listed.

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The Konami collection is great. I definitely recommend it.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Gunstar Super Heroes. Also,

LewieP wrote: »
    I love Ninja 5-0

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Besides Ninja 5-0, as far as pick up and play type games I recommend Gradius Galaxies, Iridion II, King of Fighters EX2, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Gunstar Super Heroes, Super Mario Bros Classic NES series, Wario Ware Twisted, maybe the classic platformers, I d'no.

Oh, TMNT just came out, and it's supposed to be :^:

slash000 on
  • Options
    ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If you're looking for original RPGs, the two Golden Sun games are the best the GBA has to offer.

And I didn't know they made a GBA version of Alien Hominid

ikillkenny on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Alien Hominid was released in Europe a long time ago. We never got it in NA, unfortunately.

But, the nice thing is that the GBA is region free, so you can import it if you like.

slash000 on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think it only saw a Euro release

Edit: beat'd...

LewieP on
  • Options
    commathecommathe Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I own both warioware and dr mario/puzzle league. I rarely play dr wario, the music in the original makes it so much better. Besides, I would have bought it if it only had puzzle league.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is kinda love-hate. Its a lot like the PSOne version, but you learn your goddamn skills from whatever items you have equipped. Want to learn a spell? kill stuff with a special item equipped. Want three guys to learn that spell? Get three items or start a queue.

Also the missions where you send a single member to go complete were a really cool idea but the chance of success seemed to be totally random. Hopefully they flesh that out for the sequel, it would be really fun if you could send out a 2 or 3 man squad to accomplish your tasks for you and actually play the mission rather than send an assassin out and hope he picks enough of the right flower to get paid 30 gil and a potion.

Anyway, the game was pretty simple when you realize all you have to do is fill your non-required spots with sharpshooting bunny assassins.

Oh, and oddly enough, games like super ghouls and ghosts dont have slowdown on the micro, while they do on the SP and the DSL. I found that odd yet cool.

And finally, I recommend Street Fighter Alpha 3 if you can find it. Its a really good port.

commathe on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    If you like Doom, there's Doom and Doom 2 on the GBA, both excellent portable ports of the games.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    commathe wrote: »
    I own both warioware and dr mario/puzzle league. I rarely play dr wario, the music in the original makes it so much better. Besides, I would have bought it if it only had puzzle league.

They changed the music in Dr. Mario? D: Why would they do that?

I'm definitely not looking into RPGs. I have a few for consoles that I never really touch. I guess they just aren't my thing.

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
  • Options
    Tails CorraTails Corra Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well, most of the games I were thinking of were already mentioned, but here are a few I think some people missed

-Game and Watch Gallery 4
    Sort of a Best-Of collection of the three previous games, plus a few new ones (9 that are vailable in classic and enhanced modes, as well as 9 classic-only games). Best pick up and play since you can pause, turn off the system, and resume right where you left off. The gameplay isn't terribly deep and more relies on rythem than skill, but for pick-up-and-play you can't do much better. Also includes the G+W version of Zelda.

-Super Mario Advance series
    It's Mario. All games use sleep mode and most include the ability to save any time (Progress, not save states). SMA4 (SMB3) gets my heartiest recommendation.

-Ultimate Card Games/Ultimate Board Games
    Titles are self explanitory. Each includes games of their respective genres. Both let you save games in progress as well as extensive stat tracking.

-Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo
    Dispite random crashes and sometimes guady color-loss, a very well done port of the PS1/Arcade titles. Includes all modes, characters, and secrets of it's console brother.

That's about all I can think of for now

Tails Corra on
    Wii FC: 4136 3615 8283 3576
    Brawl: 3265 4738 2973
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    If you like Doom, there's Doom and Doom 2 on the GBA, both excellent portable ports of the games.

Now I like this thread, and I like all of your suggestions. Only problem is, most of the games you mentioned are not ones that are easy to find. Heck, while we're at it, go find car battler joe and lunar advance, and the nintendo classic version of super robot wars.

Here are some less rare, totally awesome options for the GBA.

Super Mario Brothers 3
    Mario Kart:Super Circuit
    Warioware:Twisted (fun fact, this and Mario Kart used to be hard to find, but now are as common as dirt.)

The neat thing about the GBA is that you can find some ridiculous deals on the games sometimes. Look for bargain bins at your local big box retailers, and check the used shelf at your local game store. Some games are bootlegs, some are way overpriced, but you can find some gems sometime if you look hard enough.

Another suggestion for someone looking to get in cheap to the GBA (AND ONLY GBA) market. Wal-Marts have GB Micros for less than $50. If you want something cheap and awesome you really can't do any better than this. Of course if you still play old GB and GBC games, the GBA SP with the improved screen is a great deal, however, it's quite a bit bigger and costs about $30 more.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    BioHaz594BioHaz594 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis

worth whatever you have to spend and whatever depths you have to go to.

And it can be a "pick up and play" title because it does have a Save State feature for when you are in the middle of a battle and have to turn off the system. Gunstar Super Heros, Metal Slug Advance, and the arcade port of Metal Slug for the GBA are also great for quick and action packed platformer sessions.

I also second the suggestion of the Game and Watch Gallery 4. That title is fairly good for wasting time with little investment.

As for rare titles, I have noticed that a lot of the GBA titles are being culled from store shelves steadily these last few months. Chances are that the majority of good titles will have to be either found used, in a bin, or from ebay by sometime next year anyways.

BioHaz594 on
    orgblk_m50le_sig1.png
  • Options
    ikillkennyikillkenny Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    Alien Hominid was released in Europe a long time ago. We never got it in NA, unfortunately.

But, the nice thing is that the GBA is region free, so you can import it if you like.

How does the game play compared to the console version?

Also, some good, easy to find GBA games are:
    Advance Wars 1 or 2
    Fire Emblem (either one)
    Minnish Cap
    Mario & Luigi
    Any of the Super Mario Advance games
    Any of the Warioware games
    Any of the Golden Sun games (although get the first one first)

And a ton of other games I can't think of at the moment.

ikillkenny on
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    what the hell is Ninja 5-0? Everybody mentions it in every GBA thread ever but I've never even heard of it outside of here.

Aaaanyway, I bought TMNT based on all the hype around here but was pretty disappointed. It's got some very minor flaws but they were enough to put me off the game. Enemies take too long to kill compared to the likes of Streets of Rage and Final Fight, even basic grunts take many combos. That and the game is very nitpicky on the alignment of the Y-axis, you have to be perfectly aligned with a bad guy to hit him and it felt very finnicky at times. Overall it was okay but I didn't finish it, traded it in.

Fire Emblem is definitely great if you like the genre, good for pick up and play, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is even better imo, but it is very long, I'd recommend it wholeheartedly though, I'm over 40 hours in and not finished it yet, it's good value.

Metroid Zero Mission is absolutely great and recommended, Fusion is also very worthwhile. Not sure about pick up and play factor though, sometimes you can spend 20-30 minutes between save points.

Noray on