As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ROCK BAND: Now an old thread.

• FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2010
    It uses it. Just not the string bending.

They're probably evaluating if the game should care about it. Harmonix does always 'overengineer' their instruments with an extra feature that they can think about adding later (the pedal port on the Xplorer, the pedal port on the RB2 strat, the extra port on the back of the RB2 drums, etc)

FyreWulff on
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Definitely the correct decision not to have Pro-Guitar in RBN2 for the time being. It's challenging enough to put together a solid chart as is, and I really don't have faith that there are enough competent guitarist/charters to both put together high quality tablature and sufficiently test it within the RBN community. There are already a significant amount of charts that get passed with very strange charting decisions, and I would hate to think of what would happen should a bunch of tone-deaf idiots try to chart pro-guitar for their favorite shredfest.

metaghost on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I hate to be 'that guy' but HMX didn't have much, if anything, to do with the design of the X-Plorer. That was Red Octane. There may have been discussions about potential uses, but at the very least, it doesn't exist without RO.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited August 2010
    I hate to be 'that guy' but HMX didn't have much, if anything, to do with the design of the X-Plorer. That was Red Octane. There may have been discussions about potential uses, but at the very least, it doesn't exist without RO.

Well, they talked with each other, and Harmonix was the only one that talked about the (ultimately unused) pedal port.

We could have had sound effects in GH2!

Just like the multiplayer patch that was coming!

You may know that once Harmonix and RO parted ways, we got the GH3 guitar. Coincidence? I think not.

FyreWulff on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I kinda don't trust anyone but Harmonix or a band themselves to chart the Pro Guitar parts, anyway.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Well, they talked with each other, and Harmonix was the only one that talked about the (ultimately unused) pedal port.

You may know that once Harmonix and RO parted ways, we got the GH3 guitar. Coincidence? I think not.

What.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So...did I miss more extended ps3 support in that? :(

deveric on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You guys and your conspiracy theories.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited August 2010

What.

You don't remember? GH2 was going to get multiplayer support in a patch, and they were going to release an effects pedal that plugged into the Xplorer so we could apply effects to the songs like Rock Band.

Activision just kinda went "mumblemumblemumble" after announcing it until GH3 came out.

But it's kind of moot now that the last of the songs I would have wanted to do multiplayer are going to be in RB3.
    Also, I wasn't being serious about any conspiracy theory over the guitars....

FyreWulff on
    edited August 2010
    deveric wrote: »

No.

However, many believed that's what RBN 2.0 would mean. Whatever support for PS3 or Wii that RBN and RB3 will have has yet to be confirmed.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Homestar GunnerHomestar Gunner Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I kinda don't trust anyone but Harmonix or a band themselves to chart the Pro Guitar parts, anyway.

All it really would require, I think, is that the charter have the sheet music/tabs in front of him. Right?

That said I am fully aware that most of the people who would be charting songs have practically no idea how to play a real guitar.

Homestar Gunner on
    edited August 2010

What.

You don't remember? GH2 was going to get multiplayer support in a patch, and they were going to release an effects pedal that plugged into the Xplorer so we could apply effects to the songs like Rock Band.

Activision just kinda went "mumblemumblemumble" after announcing it until GH3 came out.

But it's kind of moot now that the last of the songs I would have wanted to do multiplayer are going to be in RB3.
    Also, I wasn't being serious about any conspiracy theory over the guitars....

I remember only talk about what the port on the X-Plorers was supposed to mean. The same port ended up on the GH3 guitars as well (don't know about anything past that). But all I'd heard about what it was supposed to be for was either some kind of networking (maybe to add other instruments...somehow) or some kind of foot switch (maybe for effects, but mostly for SP activation).

GH2 is, essentially, an abomination. It was fun until it got on the 360. Then the shit hit the fan.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

All it really would require, I think, is that the charter have the sheet music/tabs in front of him. Right?

That said I am fully aware that most of the people who would be charting songs have practically no idea how to play a real guitar.

It's a bit more than that. There's no "correct" way to play a given song because there are multiple ways to achieve the same note/chord progression. And then there's alt tuning. Also, be prepared for even more Live songs shenanigans. I know there are plenty of artists that switch around what they play live.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Its definitely not a job I'd envy doing

BlindPsychic on
    edited August 2010

In theory, yes, but I think Harmonix would rather there be an existing community of protar players (and protars out in the wild in general). You could use the sheet music, but if you just copy it literally it could be unfun to play (since you can play the same note in multiple places on the guitar) due to crappy economy of motion. And in many cases you won't have the sheet music, just the masters. Even the bass line for Under Pressure can have multiple charting possibilities:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTE40s_qdJ4#3m2s

(skip to 3:02 or so)

FyreWulff on
    edited August 2010

No.

However, many believed that's what RBN 2.0 would mean. Whatever support for PS3 or Wii that RBN and RB3 will have has yet to be confirmed.

Yeah, just wish they would be more front about it all, if there was better ps3 track support, I would be blowing paychecks on this.

deveric on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You can play the same note in multiple places, but one of those is the guaranteed 'right' way to play it. There's a lot of differences in sound in a C on the A string than a C on the E string, though it's the same note in the same octave.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
    edited August 2010

No.

Yeah, just wish they would be more front about it all, if there was better ps3 track support, I would be blowing paychecks on this.

More 'up front'? What does that even mean? HMX has been as 'up front' about it as they can possibly be without saying SONY is acting like doo-doo heads. Ask a Wii owner about how bad you have it...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    They did mention it being a nightmare for Harmonix and Microsoft, specifically.

So if RBN2 will track cymbal hits, how do we get our hands on compatible cymbals for RB drums?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited August 2010

No.

More 'up front'? What does that even mean? HMX has been as 'up front' about it as they can possibly be without saying SONY is acting like doo-doo heads. Ask a Wii owner about how bad you have it...

At PAX last year they made it sound like it would be within 6 mos that full RBN would be out for PSN...just still waiting on that

deveric on
    edited August 2010

So if RBN2 will track cymbal hits, how do we get our hands on compatible cymbals for RB drums?

Mad Catz has you covered.

Arikado on
    edited August 2010

No.

At PAX last year they made it sound like it would be within 6 mos that full RBN would be out for PSN...just still waiting on that

They said this? Or you heard this?

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited August 2010
    Someone asked a question about RBN appearing on the other consoles and the guy said they would have an answer to that within the next few months. He meant to say that they would know what they would be allowed to do by then, not really "RBN will be on PS3 in a few months".

Arikado on
    edited August 2010
    Arikado wrote: »

You know, for a person who is thinking about jumping into RB with RB3, there are way too many options and SKUs.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited August 2010
    Arikado wrote: »

You know, for a person who is thinking about jumping into RB with RB3, there are way too many options and SKUs.

Not really. RB3 gear will be available as needed. What I've read says the Mad Catz drum kit will include cymbals and the currently announced game SKUs are game-only and game-with-keyboard. So far all instruments will be available individually as before.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited August 2010
    >Individually

So I need to buy myself some drums and a guitar and a mic. And a keyboard.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Basically. That's what I did with RB2, which was my first game of this genre. Bought the game, guitar and drums. Later bought a mic. Got another guitar for my birthday, which died shortly after and was replaced under warranty by a Fender P-Bass for my wife, who always plays Bass.

Or you could just buy B:RB with all the instruments and drop another 130 on RB3+keyboard.

Fawst on
    edited August 2010
    Buy a RB2 instrument bundle. RB2 drums support the cymbal addons. You'll get a mic, drums, and guitar.

Then when RB3 comes out, buy a keyboard, and you can export RB2 to the hard drive to continue to play the songs (if you're on 360 and PS3)

edit: or beatles bundle as the poster said above

edit2: also RB1 is super cheap at stores right now (<7$) so you grab that and export it for 5$.

FyreWulff on
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What I've read says the Mad Catz drum kit will include cymbals

I don't think Mad Catz is producing the drum kit; aren't they just coming out with an upgraded version of the existing cymbal kit for the RB2/3 drums?

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aren't MadCatz producing all future RB instruments?

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
    edited August 2010
    JonBob wrote: »
    What I've read says the Mad Catz drum kit will include cymbals

I don't think Mad Catz is producing the drum kit; aren't they just coming out with an upgraded version of the existing cymbal kit for the RB2/3 drums?

They are making the new drum kits and upgraded cymbals. The wording is a little confusing because the emphasis is on the cymbals. But Mad Catz is definitely making all the new RB3 gear (except for the Squier, of course).

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I really hope the new cymbals are better than the old ones.

Sir Carcass on
    edited August 2010
    I think I'm just going to have to wait until the Pro Guitar with strings comes out. I'm not buying a plastic guitar and a real guitar than can be used as a plastic one.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited August 2010
    The Mustang can't be used for normal guitar mode.

You can however use it to compose guitar music on your PC via midi cable

FyreWulff on
    edited August 2010

Since when? Why can the Squier do it but not the Mustang?

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

I think he means can't be played through an amp. Maybe?

Sir Carcass on
    edited August 2010
    I think I misread his post. I thought he meant that he didn't want to get the Mustang because he didn't want to buy a MIDI guitar that could be used in faketar mode.

But yes, Mustang can't be played through an amp, needs a computer, and doesn't work for 5-lane mode.

Now that I re-read it, I think he meant he wants to wait and go directly to Protar mode when he gets RB3.

FyreWulff on
    edited August 2010

I think he means can't be played through an amp. Maybe?

I'd hate to live in a world where doing anything for real becomes a 'mode'. We need to be specific for a reason.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    From Amazon:

"The Rock Band 3 Wireless Mustang PRO-Guitar Controller is fully compatible with both standard and Pro modes."

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    edited August 2010
    From Amazon:

"The Rock Band 3 Wireless Mustang PRO-Guitar Controller is fully compatible with both standard and Pro modes."

But which of the 102 buttons do you use?

And are the other 97 solo frets?

FyreWulff on