As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre-Wizarding Fried Food Extravaganza! (#PWFFE)

• Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I actually think the pre-ordering is a better idea, because when you make a catering order they start prepping it before you get there, and with 48 people those who show up late might not be eating for a while, whereas with a catering order, it will more than likely ready for them.

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I actually think the pre-ordering is a better idea, because when you make a catering order they start prepping it before you get there, and with 48 people those who show up late might not be eating for a while, whereas with a catering order, it will more than likely ready for them.

The limits of the catering is that we are very very limited on what we could order, and it would really lose the informality I was going for. Otherwise, this effectively becomes Pre-PAX dinner for people who don't like lasagna :P

I think the general preference is for the informal approach, so that's what we'll stick with. :)

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Moe Bar wrote:
    Thanks for your interest in the upper booths at Moe! So far it looks like reserving a space for you and your guests on the 2nd should not be a problem--I'll put you in for 30+ at 6:30. As is the environment in Pike Street Fish Fry, we are a bar with a relaxed vibe--no strict table service, but more of a bar with small bites of food available. On the evening of your party we ask that your guests order from the bar as there is no server that comes out to tables. There is no minimum for the reservation, but we do add a 20% gratuity. Each guest is welcome to open their own tab/pay individually.

Great news! We'll have tables/booths at Moe's bar next door. It is a chilled place, everyone can pay individually, and they're geared up for a group of our size :) They will be adding 20% gratuity, so no need to tip extra (unless you're flush rich), but that is a small price to pay for some guaranteed comfy seating etc. Most people's order, it should be no more than $2 extra. If anyone has a huge problem with that...well, I'm not sure what to say. But that's how it is.

Hugs and much geeky love to y'all

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    LumenadducereLumenadducere Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sounds good to me, and thank you MelesMeles for setting this up! Looking forward to some delicious fried food and wizardry with you all in UNDER TWO WEEKS!

Lumenadducere on
  • Options
    JekhtJekht Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cheers MelesMeles, sounds like it's going to be good! Can't wait :p

Jekht on
  • Options
    SofiaSabotageSofiaSabotage Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Greetings!

My name is Sofia (Sabotage) and I write for the awesome blog Capitol Hill Seattle (CHS). It's a widely read neighborhood blog in which your adventure begins.
    In hopes to get some (more) publicity for this event, I am hoping that I can take tons of pictures of you lovelies in costume. I, myself, will be in costume, too and will be attending PAX over the weekend.

I've gotten all the details from this thread and hope some of you would be willing to pose. The pictures may not end up on the blog but I am happy to take down emails if you so wish for me to send them to you. You can view parts of my portfolio here, if you are weary.

Looking forward to meeting some of you. Feel free to PM if you have any questions or what not.

*Sofia*

PS for you out of towners...I got tons of knowledge (as I'm sure others do as well) about the neighborhood and Seattle.

SofiaSabotage on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Greetings!

My name is Sofia (Sabotage) and I write for the awesome blog Capitol Hill Seattle (CHS). It's a widely read neighborhood blog in which your adventure begins.
    In hopes to get some (more) publicity for this event, I am hoping that I can take tons of pictures of you lovelies in costume. I, myself, will be in costume, too and will be attending PAX over the weekend.

I've gotten all the details from this thread and hope some of you would be willing to pose. The pictures may not end up on the blog but I am happy to take down emails if you so wish for me to send them to you. You can view parts of my portfolio here, if you are weary.

Looking forward to meeting some of you. Feel free to PM if you have any questions or what not.

*Sofia*

PS for you out of towners...I got tons of knowledge (as I'm sure others do as well) about the neighborhood and Seattle.

Sounds like a cool idea to me. Not that we need a whole lot of publicity, I suppose. But any attention is good attention, right?

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sofia, I'll send you a PM later today. But needless to say you're very welcome. All I'd ask is that you draw attention to the Child's Play charity and its website :)

And also, I encourage you to join us in proper attire. Failure to do so may result in some of us being forced to cast terrible spells of woe upon you! Or not. Actually, we'll probably just get someone from Ravenclaw to sing karaoke at you. Frankly, it's just as bad.

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    RanaRana Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MelesMeles, thank you for arranging this! Really looking forward to meeting everyone :)

Rana on
  • Options
    EsotasticEsotastic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Put me down plus 13.

Fuck yeah, fried food and drinking. I forsee lots and lots of brown vomit.

Esotastic on
  • Options
    munkyboy0930munkyboy0930 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    count me and oxfroggy in plus our friend so 3 all together.

munkyboy0930 on
    trainer.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Damn, judging from the pics on the website, we just may take up the whole place.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    adesteradester Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Better reserve and lock down the joint wizards/(witches?) are taking over the joint!

adester on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    adester wrote: »
    Better reserve and lock down the joint wizards/(witches?) are taking over the joint!

Reservation negotiations are ongoing. So far we have booths for 30+. I'm upgrading that to deal with our large capacity. I'm also finding out about capacity limits; don't want to get shut down by the fire dept. Police dept yes, fire dept no.

Also, esotastic, you have a PM.

Also, Sofia, you still don't have a PM. That's because I am lame. I will go write it now.

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also, please note that there are other high/low quality fast food establishments nearby. If we do end up nuking Pike's Fish Fry, we can overflow to get some from those surrounding places.

I'm already planning how we're going to do this better next year :P

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Meles & Strebalicious :
    Pike Fish Fry & Moe Bar are pretty small. Especially Fish Fry!
    There's hot dog stands nearby along with Pita Pit, Quinn's (super expensive), Bimbo's (cheap & full of hipsters) and QFC (grocery store).

I will definitely try my best to be somewhat in costume (if not all). Not really prepared for a Harry Potter theme but I'm sure I can come up with something. :D I would come as Hello Kitty but I think my ass would get kicked.

Guess not really trying to promote you guys per se but rather PAX and it's awesome patrons and activities. I will for sure put in a word or two about the charity.

Also, someone directed me to this thread. Same thing or not? I'm confused!

Last but not least, do you know if there's any other pub crawls going on?
    First time PAX goer, honestly.

SofiaSabotage on
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Meles & Strebalicious :
    Pike Fish Fry & Moe Bar are pretty small. Especially Fish Fry!
    There's hot dog stands nearby along with Pita Pit, Quinn's (super expensive), Bimbo's (cheap & full of hipsters) and QFC (grocery store).

I will definitely try my best to be somewhat in costume (if not all). Not really prepared for a Harry Potter theme but I'm sure I can come up with something. :D I would come as Hello Kitty but I think my ass would get kicked.

Guess not really trying to promote you guys per se but rather PAX and it's awesome patrons and activities. I will for sure put in a word or two about the charity.

Also, someone directed me to this thread. Same thing or not? I'm confused!

Last but not least, do you know if there's any other pub crawls going on?
    First time PAX goer, honestly.

This is the meal before the drinking, Its all about adding a layer of grease to protect your innards.:P

Also since this is now a bar thing...is it all ages? can we get some folks in if we promise they won't drink?

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Angel177 wrote: »

This is the meal before the drinking, Its all about adding a layer of grease to protect your innards.:P

Also since this is now a bar thing...is it all ages? can we get some folks in if we promise they won't drink?

The place seems pretty chilled from having talked to them, I don't think under 21s will be a problem, though I'll double-check.

Also, Sofia, you have another PM :)

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Bars in Seattle are pretty stingy as far as underagers. Unfortunately, I don't think it'll fly but you can always ask :D

For example, I'm 26...wallet got stolen and only have an expired ID. And they won't even let me in to bars.

SofiaSabotage on
  • Options
    me2wiredme2wired Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    K, quick question. I'm staying at the Sheraton and would like to go (no car since I'm flying in) and is this possible to walk there? I saw on Google maps there's a highway there. Recommended or no?

me2wired on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Me2Wired - you can definitely walk, there are a lot of steep hills though, like 12 blocks up hill. Just walk up Pike to 12th and you're there.
    You may also walk to Pike St. (which is in front of the hotel) go to the bus stop (indicated by yellow signs, pretty sure there's one across from you in front of American Eagle) & take either 10, 11, or 49. Ask the bus driver to call out Broadway. Walk up the hill to Broadway (main drag), make a RIGHT onto Broadway then a left on Pike. Fish Fry is at Pike & 12th. There's usually a sandwich board on the street.

It's easy to get to either way. Usually the bus drivers are helpful.

SofiaSabotage on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    me2wired wrote: »
    K, quick question. I'm staying at the Sheraton and would like to go (no car since I'm flying in) and is this possible to walk there? I saw on Google maps there's a highway there. Recommended or no?

There's gonna be a lot of walking all night, but yes, this is definitely walkable. Otherwise, will be a very short taxi ride. Cheers!

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    EsotasticEsotastic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hmm. So.

Not proper attire, per se, but me and my group o'hooligans will be in Slytherin colors! I hope that shall suffice.

Esotastic on
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm a maybe on the facebook group but I'll most likely be there. But I'll be leaving at 7 so I can head to Ravenclaw's first bar early, so I might be showing up there earlier than 6:30.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    jenellejenelle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nothing to see here.

jenelle on
    cJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.png
  • Options
    EnigmasEnigmas Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Let's all just move along.
    :-)

Enigmas on
    3DS: 4871-3908-4971
    Hungry? The Cookie Brigade!
    PAX Prime 2013 Buttoneer! Main Design! And the Creeper is still waiting for you...

Slytherin House Elf for the Order of the Phoenix!
    Just because we're arrogant, doesn't mean we're (completely) evil.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    *looks at Enigmas and jenelle with suspicion*

You two worry me.

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    My advice for the under 21s would be for them to hang out in the Fish Fry itself, assuming that the bar doesn't allow under-21s (I'm from the UK, so don't know what the rules are in the US).

Sorry for the inconvenience!

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll be maybe attending, depending on how things go with meeting up with my roomies etc.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    PythosPythos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    +1 for me. I will either be attending for the whole affair or just at the end to pick up my coins and walk to Linda's with fellow Ravenclaws.

As a side note. PAX IS SO CLOSE! SWEET!

Ehem. Excuse my outburst.

Pythos on
    PinnyPal Lanyard

azNQyjX.png

XBLA: Pythos07
  • Options
    StarDancinStarDancin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    me and my husband will be there for sure! :)

StarDancin on
  • Options
    PunkJrPunkJr Decepticon Infiltrator Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sumi wrote: »
    I'm a maybe on the facebook group but I'll most likely be there. But I'll be leaving at 7 so I can head to Ravenclaw's first bar early, so I might be showing up there earlier than 6:30.

I'm in the same spot as Sumi.

PunkJr on
    daaeZs9.png
    PunkJr
    Pirate, Stormtrooper, Decepticon
    Yes, my middle name really is MEGATRON
    Former Ravenclaw Death Eaters Head of House
  • Options
    me2wiredme2wired Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Okay I'll be attending with a +1.

me2wired on
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    aw this sounds fun... nothing like a stomach full of oily food before a night of drinking! Put me down for myself +5. The +5 are a maybe though. Not sure what my group wants to do yet.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    JediknightkarlJediknightkarl Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I decided i was going to go to the crawl after all. screw no money lol. I like how this event is right by the Gryffindor starting point

Jediknightkarl on
    damn...bit my tongue....i hate that.
  • Options
    CadynCadyn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like how this event is right by the Gryffindor starting point

I did not know that until you said it. That's awesome; it'll make my plans for before fried food and the crawl so much easier.

Cadyn on
  • Options
    o55goteno55goten Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would like to sign myself +3 up to the great foodining. Let the fried batter quell our alcoholic rage.

o55goten on
    When life gives you lemons
    Chuck'em at dam Cars
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Edit:

Decision made. Registration closed. Very sorry if you didn't make it onto the event! I promise that next year, I'll adequately plan for your enthusiasm, rent out a whole freaking stadium, and have a river rerouted to provide an endless supply of fish.

I hope you all can still love me!

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    No worries. I don't think any really expected this to balloon up so much.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Please have a look at the attending list. If you're a maybe, it would be great if you can let me know what your plans are so that I can firm up numbers. With this group size, we should all be able to get served and get out without causing too much disruption. If you aren't on the list, I promise to repay you by paying Atlus to sing karaoke to you...

MelesMeles on
This discussion has been closed.