As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Precipice Fruit Fucker

iSleipniriSleipnir Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Artist's Corner
After beating both episodes of RSPoD I knew I HAD to make one of the mechanical fruit fuckers.
I finally got my camera back so now I can show you my results! I based it mostly off of this picture by Inkthinker. I'm really happy with him, the only things I wish I could change are the length of his legs (too short) and the shape of his bulb, but I couldn't find a better one to use.

Let me know what you guys think, good or bad! There are also some in-process photos of him in my flicker account linked at the bottom.

4707443763_eb3066e052.jpg4910767593_bea071fecc.jpg

4708086810_d34d99932b.jpg

4910767975_d5eec9c3fa.jpg4911370692_6d2670b460.jpg
by iSleipnir, on Flickr

iSleipnir on

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I would allow him to spoon with my fruit anyday.

I mean, it looks fantastic.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    MoorkusMoorkus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh this is really awesome, nice job :)

Moorkus on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Awesome, simply amazing dude. 8-)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Does the key turn a little generator? I see a filament in his antenna.

MKR on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MKR wrote: »

Was wondering the same thing, awesome job dude.

Love all the little detail; the scuffs and scratches and whatnot really add to it.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    that is so goddamn cool

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That is insane, hopefully Mike and Jerry get to see it.

Mustang on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Incredible!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is awesome and I would buy one if I could.

PreciousBodilyFluids on
  • Options
    MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is beautiful, I would love to see some more of your sculptures and if you were to sell these guys, I would totally buy them. I see that they aren't to big but could you tell us it's size in inches?

Mabelma on
    Have some time, check out my blog
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for all the love, everyone! It's nice to see a couple months of work appreciated so much by the community. To answer some questions...

Ah, alas, it's just a prop. I thought about building a circuit to light up the bulb and eyes, but in the end I decided I would just turn it on for friends on occasion and the rest of the time it would be draining batteries. The bulb is actually from a car head light or tail light or something. The key is removable though and eventually I plan to model the steam packs some of the other ones use, but I decided I needed a break on this particular project.
    Mabelma wrote: »
    This is beautiful, I would love to see some more of your sculptures and if you were to sell these guys, I would totally buy them. I see that they aren't to big but could you tell us it's size in inches?

This model is a little over 10" tall. If you want to see more of my work, you can check out my Flickr gallery, which is usually more current than my DevArt page. Unfortunately I don't sell my work. I've found I put so much time and effort into these things that I get to attached to them, even if they are fruit raping little buggers!

iSleipnir on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    A shame, cause you're a great artist and it would be an honored to own something by you. Also let me drop you a link to two great artist, maybe you guys could get to know each other and share tips and all that.
    http://adoptabot.deviantart.com/
    http://kalapusa.deviantart.com/
    Hopefully it helps you in someway.

Mabelma on
  • Options
    pineappleherbpineappleherb Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    yeaaahhhh! thats soo cool, i love the detail

and dont sweat the length of the legs, it looks perfect to me

pineappleherb on
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited August 2010
    Wow that is super cool!

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hello Khoo

iSleipnir, if you can bear to part with it for the children, putting it up for auction for Child's Play would be awesome.

MKR on
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That is a sweet creation, super cool for making it... super uncool for making me want one...

darn fruitfucker hordeing artists

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wow, this is really cool.
    iSleipnir, if you can bear to part with it for the children, putting it up for auction for Child's Play would be awesome.

Yes! That would be noble of you, iSleipnir. Think of the children. :!!:

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also: massive nerd cred

Exchangeable for high-fives and maybe a beer.

MKR on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That is some super duper awesome work.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Though I can imagine not wanting to give up something this awesome with so much work clearly put into it, I'm thirding the wisdom of a Child's Play auction; it could fetch a ton of munnies for the kids and a load of exposure for you, sir.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Benefits of not auctioning:
    1. Some people noticing your work, some praise, maybe a commission

Benefits of auctioning:
    1. Lots of people noticing your work, lots of praise, have to turn down offers due too too many commission requests
    2. Help out the kids
    3. You can never say you haven't done something important in your life

MKR on
  • Options
    KarbaccaKarbacca Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I dig it, very steampunk (and thats what the game kinda was anyways) and just plain well constructed.

Karbacca on
    bannerqsl.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    squidbunny wrote: »
    Though I can imagine not wanting to give up something this awesome with so much work clearly put into it, I'm thirding the wisdom of a Child's Play auction; it could fetch a ton of munnies for the kids and a load of exposure for you, sir.

This seems like such an amazing idea, I think you should consider the idea. It may just be an amazing opportunity for you. Think of it this way, you lose a Sculpture that can be replicated again from the images you took but you gain so much, commissions, praise, help the kids and so much more.

Mabelma on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yes, surrender your hard work or you are a horrible person!
    Seriously though dude, I wouldn't blame you if you didn't. Giving something so well executed for nothing but a feeling of goodwill would be difficult.

Mustang on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    iSleipnir wrote: »
    4707443763_eb3066e052.jpg4910767593_bea071fecc.jpg

4708086810_d34d99932b.jpg

4910767975_d5eec9c3fa.jpg4911370692_6d2670b460.jpg
    by iSleipnir, on Flickr

Mustang wrote: »
    Giving something so well executed for nothing but a feeling of goodwill would be difficult.

It's more than a feeling of goodwill. Child's Play helps children in hospitals feel better: it reduces their stress levels so their bodies can recover.

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I meant he would receive a feeling of goodwill. I'm fully aware of what a fucking horrible place a hospital is for an adult, let alone a child.

EDIT: I'm meaning to say that he shouldn't feel horrible if he decides not to donate it.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I know this is going to sound cold hearted but think about the commercial value to it, your name and skills will be heard on a super if not ultra popular auction but when you actually mention all of the work that went into it, I can only image the pain it gives you.

Mabelma on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You guys have got me really considering it. Ideally, I'd like to make a second one now that I know the process and keep the original. But I should also point out that I don't do art for any monetary gain, I do it to relax and keep SANE after days of science and math required by my major! Thank you all for the praise and support though, I'm surprised and giddy about the reception!

iSleipnir on