As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SnW IC] Swift Death at the Hands of Orcs

nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Critical Failures
As twilight approaches the small hamlet of Rashtan out of the East, so too does a quartet of adventurers approach from the West...

The adventuring party is:

the Human Yirral Unver
Magic User
Str 13, Dex 13, Con 13
Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 3
AC 11, 2 Hit Points
Saving Throw 15
+1 Melee to hit and Damage.
+1 Ranged to hit.
+10% EXP (5 from Wis 13, 5 from 13+ Int as Magic User)

Spells
Light, Shield, Charm Person, Protection from Evil
1 x Level 1 slot per day.
Currently Memorised: Charm Person.

Inventory
Blank Spellbook
Staff, Dagger, 10 Darts
4 pieces of Chalk, Backpack, Bedroll, 3 Bells, 2 Signal Whistles, Hooded Lantern, 50ft Silk Rope, 10 Sheets of Parchment, Ink, Waterskin, 8 Dried Rations, Small Steel Mirror, 10gp.

Appearance
Yirral wears his fair hair long, pushed back behind his ears and just reaching the back of an ill-fitting green robe, lined with a crimson trim and marked with the wear of clothes worn far too often. He is tall and broad shouldered, but this is marred by a slouching posture and soft body from too many meat pies and pitchers of wine.

Manner
Yirral gives the distinct impression he doesn't care about people. He rarely talks to anyone unless it's a straightforward question and when he does he speaks quickly and nervously. He is completely lacking in ambition or initiative, but doesn't mind taking orders if he thinks they make sense. Although he takes to new tasks quite well, proving competent at a range of things, at his core he lacks self confidence, but masks this with an introspective arrogance and self-superiority that he never quite brings himself to assert on others.

Wants
Yirral is unsure what exactly he wants to be. Despite studying magic under his master, something he took to very well, he has since lost interest in his studies. But his comfortable lifestyle needs money, so the life of adventure might let him get hold of some so he can get back to doing nothing.

In actuality Yirral does have stronger desires, but doubts himself enough that he doesn't quite want to confront them just yet.

the Man Cyrus
Cleric of the Implacable Foe
Str 7, Dex 10, Con 9, Int 14, Wis 17, Cha 4
HP 3, Saving Throw 15
AC 14

-1 Melee To Hit and -1 Damage
+5% exp (from Wis)
+1 additional 1st-level Cleric spell (from Wis) (unclear to me if this means I get 1 at 1st level, v. 0)

Starting Gold: 170
Current Gold: 19

Equipment: Chain armor (+4), Heavy Mace (1d6)
Misc. Equipment: Bedroll, backpack, bell, flint & steel, holy symbol (silver), lantern (hooded), mirror (small steel), oil (2 pints), trail rations (10 days), 10 spikes (iron), one 10' pole.

Prepped Spell: Cure light wounds

Quote: "Where did you hear that childish nonsense? 'The gods love and protect us,' fah! Pure stupidity! I'm hear to tell you son, that most of the gods don't care two coppers for you or your soul. And the one that does, the one we call the Implacable Foe, well, he doesn't love you, he doesn't want your offerings, and he's the one you need protecting from! Don't believe me? Fine, we'll see. WE'LL SEE. Now, since you apparently have the gods on your side, YOU can be the one to open up that chest covered in glowing runes....."

Bio: Cyrus is old, and he's spent years preaching that, deep down, the gods really hate our guts. This has left him physically weak and not what you would call a sparkling dinner companion.

the Man Tyzen Aen
Fighter
STR 17
DEX 16
CON 16
INT 14
WIS 07
CHA 11
EXP Level: 1
HP: 9 (6 Base+2 Fighter+1 Con Bonus)

Saving Throw: 14

EXP Bonus: 5% (13+ STR)

To Hit/Damage +1/+1

Ascending AC 16
10 Base+4 Chain+1 Shield+1 DEX Bonus

Chain Mail (+4 AC) 75G/50lb
Shield (+1 AC) 15G/10lb
Bastard Sword (Damage 1d8) 20G/10lb
Grappling Hook 1G
Rope, Hemp, 50ft 1G
Bedroll 2SP
6 Torches 3SP
Backpack 5G
Shovel 2G
Remaing Cash: 5SP
Weight ~75lb

Appearance: Before you stands a tall, muscular fighter who has been practicing his art in short sorties into local caves, usually vanquishing whatever lays inside with whatever help hired him. His size is befitting a man who would wear such a mustache as him, long and black, but yet no beard, or at least none you can see. He banks on his manliness and dashing good looks to offset whatever insults are thrown his way.

Wants: To be the best, and thus mightest warrior his land has ever known. He respects the people who hire him and he knows that sometimes they are the only reason that he still stands. He'll boast and boast freely, but he'll toss one in for the people who helped him along thw way. He knows this because he is no leader, but well known for his ability to support and fend off whatever comes his way, and thus joins adventures for the sheer challenge of it.

Other notes: He can certainly hire the henchmen for the party, but the other members are going to have to front the cash. Otherwise ready to beatdown whatever nasties await!

and lastly, the Dwarf Worten Kilak
Fighter
Exp/Level:0/1
HP:4
Saving throw:14
Xp Bonus:10%

Weapons: Battle axe, 2 Hand axes, Lite Crossbow
To hit/Damage:+1
AC:14

STR: 18
DEX:12
CON:10
INT:14
WIS:13
CHA:7
Starting Gold: 110

Inventory: Backpack, Bedroll, 50ft Silk Rope, 5 Iron spikes, Tent, Flask, Torch, 7 Dried rations, Battle axe, 2 Hand axes, Lite crossbow, 20 bolts, Ring armor, shield.

Bio: Many years ago the fortress of Karag Glümm was besieged by a ruthless goblin horde. Though the dwarves fought valiantly but they were unaware that the goblins were working for a dragon by the name of Dimüglahkul, who coveted the vast wealth of the fortress. When the dragon made his appearance the dwarves knew their fate. All but one fell that day. His name was Worten Kilak. Now he wanders the land, searching for the dragon and working for whoever will hire him, so long as the pay is good.

Appearance: Bulkier than your average dwarf. Worten hasn't taken care of his hair or his beard since the fall of Karag, giving him a crazed look. This is worsened by a massive scar over most of his face.

Motivations: Revenge, Drinking, Fighting, Revenge, Death in glorious combat.

Adventurers: You enter a small hamlet as the sun begins to reach the tips of the Western Mountains behind you. Your eyes reveal to you a small village with only seven buildings laid out neatly on either side of the main road. The largest is the first building on your right, and above the door hangs a sign that reads "Wayfarers Place." A handful of people seem to be going about their business in and out of various buildings. You can also identify one of the other buildings as a forge.

camo_sig2.png
nefffffffffff on

• Options
    Avoid SpikesAvoid Spikes Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cyrus sighs wearily. "Another squalid village. Typical. Fools, scurrying around, when it's only a matter of days before the Foe sends a horde of orcs or some other disaster to kill the lot of them."

"Ah, well, every man tastes the Foe's wrath in the end. This 'Wayfarer's Place' looks like an inn. Perhaps we should check there first for rumors of treasure. And maybe we can hire on a few of these villagers as fighting men."

Avoid Spikes on
  • Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Worten makes his way to the forge, takes a quick look inside and chuckles patronizingly. Then hurries into the bar. "That ale won't drink itself, you know."

Zellpher on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yirral drums his fingers against his staff idly as he looks over the village, eventually deciding to follow Cyrus towards the Wayfarer's Place.

"Some grunts would be useful, but let's keep them cheap."

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You go in the front door of the Wayfarers Place and the rich scent of ale, hot food, and stale smoke washes over you. The interior of the tavern is, like so many others, dimly lit. To your right is a bar, behind which stands a man in an apron wiping down glassware with a towel. The bartender stares at you wordlessly as you enter. A sign above the bar reads: "Ask us about our potions."

There are several tables scattered around haphazardly, at one of which is a man with a thick beard and dirty clothes nursing a pint.

In the rear of the room is a staircase leading up. As you watch a man descends the stairs and pushes past you and out the door.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Cyrus walks directly to the bar, staring expectantly at the bartender.

"So tell me about your potions."

Avoid Spikes on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "Hmph. The service in this bar is deplorable. Barman! Over here!"

Avoid Spikes on
  • Options
    HeartfinderHeartfinder Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Tyzen is standing near Cyrus, really at the moment only interested in a good drink and perhaps a decent meal.

Heartfinder on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Worten shuffles over to an empty table near the bearded man. Then he waits for his comrades to bring him some ale.

Zellpher on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Worten: The man with the beard looks up from his ale and waves at you, giving you a grin that is just a few teeth short. He looks over his shoulder (at the wall..?) and then turns to you.

"Hi, I'm Carl. I don't recognize you from around these parts. I'm in town to sell my most recent crop of tomaters. Take my advice and don't spend too much time around these parts." He takes a swig of ale. "There are evil people here in Rashtan, no matter what Sheriff Talon says. I've even heard that Cariwin down at the temple leads a double life. During the day he masquerades as a priest of Mielikki, but at night he forgoes sleep to worship ancient devils."

Cyrus et al: The large man behind the bar sighs. He has a long scar across his face and a uniquely upturned nose. His skin is a strange grey palor, with subtle hints of green.

"Eh.... unfortunately I only have one potion right now... it's a healing potion." His voice is deep and throaty. "My friend Harold brews them and delivers a case to me every Monday. Usually more than enough to keep any passing travelers stocked. I have not seen him in almost three weeks now, however. It worries me, what with reports of Orcs moving back in to the surrounding countryside. I talked to the sheriff about riding out and checking on him, but Sheriff Talon says that since Harold is a hermit and lives out in the lonely wood it's out of his jurisdiction. Sheriff Talon's authority doesn't reach past the outlyin' farms." You can tell from the way he rolls his eyes, that the barman is perturbed.

"Anyway," he continues, "Sorry to rant like that. I'm a little fed up with local politics. I'd imagine that if you're smart you're just on your way through. If you'd like, we have hot food and good ale for but a few pieces of silver. We also have rooms to rent -- considering how far away the next town is, you probably haven't had a roof over your head for the last few nights. And it is getting dark."

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yirral taps Cyrus on the shoulder tentatively, leaning to whisper into his ear.

"Sounds like a job to me. Get us a good number of coins for it eh?"

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Worten shifts to look at the man.

"Thanks for the advice lad but I think we'll be just fine. We don't intend to stay too long anyway but at the rate it's taking just to get a pint around here..." He turns back to the table and whispers to himself.

"Still, it might be good to look into this priest fellow."

Zellpher on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    To the barman: "Three weeks, eh? The orcs have probably devoured him by now -- let's hope they killed him first. Still, if he's a woodsman, and skilled with a potion, might be that the Foe's glance passed over him and he hid somewhere and survived, eh? But if there really are orcs about, you'll need more than just the sheriff. Tell you what -- my heavily-armed friends and I could swing by his place and check in for you. It's a bit out of our way, though, and there are always expenses and such. What would the job be worth to you?"

Avoid Spikes on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Carl chuckles to himself. "Can't say I didn't warn ya..."

The bartender scratches his chin, considering the offer. "Well..." he says "Business has been hurting with the reports of Orcs. I was going to head out there myself at the next chance I got, but Lora probably wouldn't have liked me heading out into the Lonely Wood alone."

He stares at you for a moment.

"There's four of you? All I can spare is 100 gp, but I'll give it up front to go and check things out for me, and I'll give you my last healing potion as well. When you find him we can discuss a reward. It's getting late though, you should stay here tonight and resupply and head out in the morning."
    It is late enough that none of the shops will be open anymore. If you stay at the Wayfarer the bartender will provide food and shelter for free for the night, and you can split the 100 gp however you want between yourselves to buy equipment, or hire henchmen before you depart.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    To the bartender: "Fair enough. Give me the gold and let us a room for the night. I'll pray for our deliverance, and we'll head out to search for your friend in the morning. What's your name, anyway? Harold may want to know who sent us."

An aside to Yirral, out of the bartender's earshot: "100 gold, up front! A fool and his money...."
    Once Cyrus gets the gold and the potion from the bartender, he'll retire to our room for the night.

Avoid Spikes on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yirral speaks quietly to Cyrus "Well, it would keep me in pocket for a bit longer..."

He looks around the bar casually before trying to find an empty table with the intention of a couple of drinks before heading to sleep.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    HeartfinderHeartfinder Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    After hearing what is to happen, Tyzen scratches his mustache, then acquires the strongest drink he can from the bartender and quaffs it before retiring to the room.

Heartfinder on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    "The name is Korec." the bartender says as you walk away.

Ok, for the sake of moving things along, I'm going to assume that anybody who hasn't posted is heading to bed with everyone else. Sorry but theres not much you can do at this time of day anyway.

After a hot meal and a few drinks, the group retires to their room at the Wayfarer.

Night turns back to day and you wake to the sounds and smells of a warm summer morning. Korec is not in the bar, but the morning help hands you a small package that is labeled for you. Inside is a hand drawn map showing how to get to Harold's cottage, and a small vial full of a clear viscous fluid labeled "H.H." There is a note as well:

"Hello travelers,

Thank you for going out and looking for Harold. Here is a list of places I would recommend looking into if there is anything you wish to buy.

Jord's Forge should be easy to find, it's the building with the big tall chimney. Jord is a great blacksmith, and trades in weapons and armors. He can also repair things for you.

SSilo's General Store should also be on your list of places to visit. He sees a fair number of travelers come though and is well supplied for outfitting them.

Stay away from Istan's Elixirs, the shop down at the end of the road. He sells potions and such, but I don't trust him.

Good luck,
    Korec"

Besides the three recommended locations, there are a few other buildings in town as well. Minter's Marvelous Maps and Things is in a small building a little off the main road. Through the windows you see dusty shelves lined with books and scroll cases, many of which are piled haphazardly. The Sheriff's Station is at the end of the main street. It is a large stone building with small windows. The last building of interest in town is the Temple of Mielikki, which is a large dark wooden building perched atop a small hill overlooking the town.

According to the map, Harold's cottage is about a two day ride from Rashtan, so you shouldn't spend more than an hour or two in town buying supplies/investigating before you leave if you want to make good time.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm mostly kitted out already so I'm happy to leave when everyone else is ready.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I think most of you should have everything you are gonna need. I might recommend extra money going to mounts/henchmen, as seen in the rulebook/pdf. Maybe some healing as well. It's up to you guys. You can gather henchmen at the Wayfarer, and you can get mounts pretty easily there as well.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think we should definitely get some henchmen, but with my Cha 3 I'm not the one to do it! Happy to donate my spare 10gp to the fund, though.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Cyrus heads up to the Temple of Mielikki (he'll rendezvous with the rest of the party just outside of town before we head out to Harold's). Perhaps a fellow cleric will have some thoughts on the dangers that lie ahead. As he climbs the hill, Cyrus casts his mind back to his days in the cloister and tries to remember what he learned about the diety Mielikki and its priesthood.
    It looks like hirelings will cost us 2 gp a day + rations. I second Yirral's suggestion that the high CHA character do it (i.e., not me). Let's hire a couple and take it out of the 100 gp kitty we got for taking on this mission. I mean, they're not going to survive anyway, right, so we probably won't have to pay them. We could also hire a torchbearer at 1 gp/day, but I have a free hand and should be able to carry a lantern.

Also, can we hire horses or other mounts? Or do we have to buy them? I couldn't find anything on hiring mounts in the rules, but 40 gp is a lot to spend on a horse.

Avoid Spikes on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Mielikki is not among the most obscure gods of the pantheon, but neither is she among the most popular. She is a goddess who above all else favors harmony with and respect for nature and the natural world. Without incouraging any specific alignment, many of her most devout followers become nomadic druids who's decisions are swayed not by good or evil, but by what brings harmony between the two. She is more popular among nomadic tribes and people of the North, and while she is less popular in more civilized areas, pockets of followers do show up sporadically.

The temple itself is a large round building with a mossy roof constructed of dark wood. In front of the two large doors is a courtyard closed in by five large moss-covered wooden pillars. The courtyard houses a small pond and a statue of Mielikki herself: A nimble young woman wearing a tunic and wielding a bow. There are small white flowers around the hill that the temple is on, and someone has made a wreath of them and placed it on the statues head.

As you enter the building, there is a small man in green robes cleaning a short line of pews facing an altar. "Hello" he says "and may Mielikki bless you. Please, come in. Is anybody in your party in need of medical attention?"
    I am going to house-rule that you can rent a mule for the price of a non-combattant/torchbearer, and a horse for the price of a man-at-arms. A mule is only good for carrying things, but can be mounted by a dwarf or halfling. A human must ride a horse.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Cyrus nods. "Thank you, brother. May the Foe turn his gaze from you. I am Cyrus, a humble initiate. I've no need of medical attention, but my companions and I are passing through Rashtan and have heard rumors that orcs are afoot nearby. As a fellow servant of the higher powers, I hoped you might share your thoughts on the matter with me. I would just as soon avoid a swift death at the hands of orcs."
    I'll hire a horse. Let's assume that I did so before I left town. We probably all should, although I leave it to the dwarf to decide if he wants to ride a mule or not.

Avoid Spikes on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Worten begrudgingly hires a mule then has a few drinks before heading out. He trusts that Cyrus will be able to handle himself with the supposedly evil priest.

Zellpher on
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The door to the temple slams open, and through it steps a fine specimen of a man. He stands just over 6 feet tall with a well toned body, chin chiseled of granite, long flowing blonde hair, and eyes blue as an icy northern lake. A cuirass, greaves, and bracers of ringed bronze protect his body, a heavy stone warhammer hangs at his hip, and a large round shield hangs on his back.

His magnificent form is haggard, his posture stooped, and his body marred by many cuts and bruises.

"Orcish Raiders in the Lonely wood! Priest I need aid!"

Snowdown on