As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA Forum Let's Play Archive - OLD THREAD IS OLD DON'T POST IN THIS ONE

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hot damn. Well if anybody was interested in watching the (apparently only allowed) LP of I Wanna Be the Guy, now's your chance. Who knows when I'll get reported again.

joshofalltrades on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Part of what makes it the only one allowed is that I trust in joshofalltrades to be our guy.

Henroid on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    D'awwwwww

<3

joshofalltrades on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    hey does anyone know of a program that converts mp4 files into avi files

because I got five minutes of the worst sonic 1 playing you've ever fucking seen that's going to be my test video, and the media converter that comes with my hd pvr doesn't seem to be able to convert to avi

Rent on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In my time, I've been able to find conversion programs for all sorts of things simply by Googling it. And I'm not trying to be condescending telling you to go look yourself, I'm saying that it's kinda easy to stumble across sometimes. Just literally punch in ".mp4 to .avi converter" and see what comes up.

Henroid on
  • DragonatrixDragonatrix Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MediaCoder immediately springs to mind for that. It can export any video/audio file to every container you can conceivably think of.
    Rent wrote: »
    well, there are programs of questionable legality that allow you to download youtube videos

have no idea of the video quality though

There's no reason at all to use them on your own videos. YT has a Download MP4 option for videos you've uploaded;

download.png

Dragonatrix on
    k0ysz.jpg
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hot damn. Well if anybody was interested in watching the (apparently only allowed) LP of I Wanna Be the Guy, now's your chance. Who knows when I'll get reported again.

I wonder if Double Jeopardy applies to LPs.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Spoony's started a Let's Play of the best 360 game currently available.
    Deadly Premonition

SkutSkut on
    edited August 2010
    And here I thought the best 360 game available was (insert game that was also released for the PS3 here). Ha haaaaaaa just kidding. Also Skutskut just a heads up we have a new system for letting me know about updates to the list in the OP, for next time (I don't mind this once).

I'll run an update on the thread tomorrow. I haven't made progress on my Tech Support section over the last few days due to my losing my mind (up in here, up in here).

Henroid on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Deadly Premonition

That was in May though, I'm fairly sure he won't be continuing it. Even disregarding the number of projects he juggles.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I never really understood why you just don't update the thread whenever someone posts a new LP link. It would take like 30 seconds.

Adus on
    edited August 2010
    I have a fear regarding editing a thread too much and how it might get screwy with the database.

Henroid on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, Spoony takes his time with his LPs. His SWAT 4 one was good but took forever. Also DP was done once Giant Bomb did the Endurance Run.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, Spoony takes his time with his LPs. His SWAT 4 one was good but took forever. Also DP was done once Giant Bomb did the Endurance Run.

His [strike]Phantasmagoria[/strike] PHANTASMAGORIA! one is great too, but with DP I think he just didn't want to continue it.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Deadly Premonition

That was in May though, I'm fairly sure he won't be continuing it. Even disregarding the number of projects he juggles.

There's also that giant bomb endurance run of that. They're 40 or so videos in.

Zandracon on
    edited August 2010
    They finished it. Both runs.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited August 2010
    Still going through the Drakengard LP.

Needless to say, Drakengard really hates children. Jesus Christ.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh yeah Henroid recently Mori and DE?AD started a Fallout 3 LP as well

I'll be damned if I can find it right now in their discount thread

Zen Vulgarity on
  • atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    damn it! that's some pretty intense competition right there and I'm not even finished mine yet :(

atat23 on
  • GreenishGreenish Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I wouldn't worry about that. Both LPs are taking drastically different paths. You are playing through as a veteran, showing the game off and running an efficent character. DE?AD is much more inexperienced and is playing a hideous looking unarmed character that skips through text that annoys him. He spent a whole section clearing out the elementary school just punching and looting everything and fighting 3 raiders at once while swallowing everything in his inventory to survive.

Greenish on
    edited August 2010
    guys, what are y'alls output settings for transcoding? I got an HD mp4 here but it looks like ass unless I transcode it at really high settings, so....

basically I'm asking is what do you guys usually use when you transcode?

Rent on
    edited August 2010
    I got PM'd a short time ago about this thread enlightenedbum started which is a succession series of LPs for some games. I was going to add it until I realized... is this an actual series of games with super weird names or are these all individual titles? The the hell is the link between these games?

I'd rather add each game's title into the list individually even if they all link to the same place. Anyone care to explain?

Also the (brief, apparently) update to the thread will be punched in in a few seconds. I'm not gonna be doing a "newest updates" list anymore. Also Skutskut I didn't realize that the thing you posted wasn't for one of our own forumers, I feel silly for not noticing 'til now.

But now that gives me a chance to ask you guys to tell me about this spoony dude!

Henroid on
  • DragonatrixDragonatrix Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    The the hell is the link between these games?

They're all historic strategy games made by Paradox.

Dragonatrix on
    k0ysz.jpg
    edited August 2010
    Oh. Okay so I'll list them all individually then.

Also, I made a new thing for the top of the thread:
    letsplayarchivebanner1.png

It was going to be bigger and with more characters but the new Google Image Search REALLY FUCKING BLOWS so I wasn't about to struggle with it.

Edit - And now that I can see what it looks like on the forum I see that I should tweak a couple of colors slightly.

Henroid on
    edited August 2010
    Why'd you have to put the guy on it?

Adus on
    edited August 2010
    yo adus what settings do you do for your videos when you transcode

Rent on
    edited August 2010
    Don't ask me. Have you seen my videos? They look like shit (though honestly for my own errors). I just put them in mediacoder and set them to encode to FAAC audio/MP4 container with an H.264 transcoder.

Adus on
    edited August 2010
    Adus wrote: »

It feels appropriate.

Henroid on
    edited August 2010

It feels appropriate.

But the last LP anyone wants to see these days is an IWBTG lp (No offense, Josh).

Adus on
    edited August 2010
    Don't ask me. Have you seen my videos? They look like shit (though honestly for my own errors). I just put them in mediacoder and set them to encode to FAAC audio/MP4 container with an H.264 transcoder.

you're useless to me Adus

useless! :P

Rent on
    edited August 2010

It feels appropriate.

But the last LP anyone wants to see these days is an IWBTG lp (No offense, Josh).

Which is precisely the self-depreciation joke I was going for!

It was originally going to have Klyka's avatar in there.

Henroid on
    edited August 2010
    Rolling in Let's Plays?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited August 2010
    hey
    so

here's my test video

please be ruthless on your criticisms, I need them to know where my deficiences are

I'm working on a viddler link right now and as soon as I can figure out where in the fuck the download link is on blip I'll link that too

I'm currently fucking with the transcode rates to make the picture quality better, but I'm trying to find a way to make it so my uploads aren't insanely huge either, both so y'all can download them and so my internet can act ually like upload them

Rent on
    edited August 2010
    Does anyone else have a blank area?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    hey
    so

here's my test video

please be ruthless on your criticisms, I need them to know where my deficiences are

I'm working on a viddler link right now and as soon as I can figure out where in the fuck the download link is on blip I'll link that too

I'm currently fucking with the transcode rates to make the picture quality better, but I'm trying to find a way to make it so my uploads aren't insanely huge either, both so y'all can download them and so my internet can act ually like upload them

Might be on my end, but looks like the video has a pretty low framerate, and the audio seems desynced. That stuff might be on my end, since I have a crappy computer, but you should probably deinterlace the video.

Zandracon on
    edited August 2010
    Alright well as it is now, the video is unwatchable. Literally. It is like watching a slideshow. Maybe it'll be fixed if/when blip converts it to FLV, or maybe something happened during uploading as I doubt the video looked like that when you watched it.

It would help to know the exact process you went through to make this video. Like what program you used to capture, what you used to edit/publish and what you used to encode.

Your 5 minute video is only 70 megs. Do you think that's large? Cause it isn't. That's about the size an MP4 of that length will be.

Commentary-wise... It sounds like pretty much every generic youtube LP ever. Mainly because you made a video of Sonic 1. It's a dated, boring game that everyone has seen. There's not much to say about it. I mean, your test videos should really be of the game you're playing in order to properly receive criticism on that portion. I know very little about Alan Wake so maybe I'd find your commentary on that a lot more interesting.

Don't talk about how much you suck at [game here] all the time. That's not interesting commentary, whether or not it is true.

A lot of profanity. I guess I'm just making a note of this. Some people are bothered by excessive use of it. I don't personally care.

Adus on
    edited August 2010
    viddler link

maybe this'll work?

Rent on
    edited August 2010
    De-interlacing would be one thing to do, but the quality looks off in general, like you tried to encode it in 1080 resolution while recording at something lower.

And I forgot to mention before but the voice quality is good so whatever you're doing there is fine.

Adus on
    edited August 2010
    Alright well as it is now, the video is unwatchable. Literally. It is like watching a slideshow. Maybe it'll be fixed if/when blip converts it to FLV, or maybe something happened during uploading as I doubt the video looked like that when you watched it.

Yeah the video isn't converted to FLV yet, and it's taking forever to
    It would help to know the exact process you went through to make this video. Like what program you used to capture, what you used to edit/publish and what you used to encode.

hauppage 1212 hd-pvr to capture in mp4 -> avidemux 2.5 for light editing -> audacity for voice commentary/ background music integration -> avidemux for video/audio sync -> mediacoder with h.264 2-pass, 2000 kbps for video, FAAC 128 kbps audio, mp4 container
    Your 5 minute video is only 70 megs. Do you think that's large? Cause it isn't. That's about the size an MP4 of that length will be.
    it is an mp4...
    Commentary-wise... It sounds like pretty much every generic youtube LP ever. Mainly because you made a video of Sonic 1. It's a dated, boring game that everyone has seen. There's not much to say about it. I mean, your test videos should really be of the game you're playing in order to properly receive criticism on that portion. I know very little about Alan Wake so maybe I'd find your commentary on that a lot more interesting.

good point
    Don't talk about how much you suck at [game here] all the time. That's not interesting commentary, whether or not it is true.

Yeah, I just felt like being especially hard on myself to get it out of the way
    A lot of profanity. I guess I'm just making a note of this. Some people are bothered by excessive use of it. I don't personally care.

Yeah this I need to work on. I swear a lot in general (was in the army. what can I say) but I was probably doing it a bit too much

Rent on
    edited August 2010
    De-interlacing would be one thing to do, but the quality looks off in general, like you tried to encode it in 1080 resolution while recording at something lower.
    It's recorded at 1080i...this is just fucking weird, here

Rent on