As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Thread derailed by train puns

ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Games and Technology
BIG OLD LIST OF GAMES ON SALE

steamlogom.png
20041015h.jpg

Most Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I register this __Insert Game Here__ on Steam?

Here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it.

2. If I buy a game pack that already includes a game I own, can I gift that game?

No, this was a one-time thing for people who already owned Half-Life 2 and bought the Orange Box. Additional copies you own are lost forever to the ether.

3. Why isn't __Insert Game Here__ available in my region?

Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire. Gifting works regardless of region so you might find some helpful person in North America who can gift you the game.

Helpful Stuff
AUSTRALIANS!!!!

You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.

Ampix wrote: »
LaCabra wrote: »
150KB/s :(

Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview (run as admin if you're on Vista) to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

This shit totally needs to go into the OP, I've tipped this to so many people already.

Cool Community Add-Ons
Steam Signatures
With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon. Pretty neat, and they're 100% free!

Sample signature:
camo_sig2.png

Steam Calculator
You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Steam Sales Tracker
This is apparently a sortable list of all the cool stuff on Steam that you can narrow down via categories (like "on sale") but it may have ceased to work.

The Mis-Adventures of LewieP
As funny as the following comic is, LewieP does spend a lot of time looking for bargains, for us.
steamopedit.jpg

adventureoflewiep.jpg

The Steam Circle of Life
This image is from the SomethingAwful forums Steam thread. Hilariously enough it basically describes out Steam thread too:
steamsathread2.png

Steam iPhone App
You have an iPhone? That money could easily have been spent on Steam games. If you want to make the best of your shiny gadget, however, check out this Steam iPhone app. For less than the price of a grande mocha frapaacino or whatever, you can buy an unofficial program (which appears to have been created by a PA guy who has not stepped forward if the Armadeaddon screengrab means anything) which does all sorts of Steam shit.

Speaking of iPhones...
peekandpoke.jpg

Zerokku on

• BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh man, Steam fire-sale on Railworks DLC

BlindPsychic on
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is that the cue to moan about games taking X gigs?

(holy crap, GTA4 is 16 gigs!)

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh man, Steam fire-sale on Railworks DLC

I don't know whether to ask "again?" or "still?"

Bolthorn on
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Episode 3 will be 1 petabyte

BlindPsychic on
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    half life 2 episode 3 will be a real life immersive holographic interface story.

because thats how far technology will be when ep3 ever fucking comes out.

Buttcleft on
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Doubt it will be ready by then.

Roland_tHTG on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Episode 3 will be a real life adventure about the heat death of the universe.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Woo, Borderlands and DLC dropped into my level of cheapness. Too bad my friends have moved on to other titles...

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    goozex has completely hardened me to the neverending otherworldly tug of steam's greasy black sale-tentacles.

Borderlands on sale! That reminds me, I should go get it for free.

HL2e3 will be a Minecraft expansion pack

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Guys relax. I've seen a Lambda in the clouds today. Ep 3 coming soon I swear no lies!

Euphoriac on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    $20 for a crappy-looking train that goes the exact same places all your other shitty trains go.

That's a hobby I don't understand.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    grouch993 wrote: »
    Woo, Borderlands and DLC dropped into my level of cheapness. Too bad my friends have moved on to other titles...

I am in the exact same position. It is saddening.

Even playing alone it scratches some strange FPS/RPG/Loot Collecting itch, but I feel like I'm doing it wrong.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    $20 for a sparkly horse that goes the exact same places all your other shitty mounts go.

That's a hobby I don't understand.

Welcome to DLC!
    How else do you expect to make the big moolah without selling completely worthless things that just look more pretty?

L Ron Howard on
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was hoping Episode 3 would have come out a few years ago... when I had the money to afford the technology to play it.

Now I never will...

Icemopper on
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think Episode 3 is going the way of the Dodo and Duke Nukem Forever...

Hawk on
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Will elemental be on steam or just on impulse?

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It'll probably be Impulse only just like Galactic Civilizations since Stardock is a direct competitor with Valve in the digital distribution market.

Tertiee on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Smaug6 wrote: »

Probably just on Impulse since it was developed (or at least published) by Stardock.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Watching Top Gear a lot recently has gotten me back in to GRID. Damn that game is so good.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Smaug6 wrote: »

Yep - Stardock doesn't have any of their catalog on Steam.

Elvenshae on
  • JimmyNavioJimmyNavio Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    By the way that steam.addhawk.net link in the OP hasn't worked for a while. Might be time to retire it.

JimmyNavio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Episode 3 will be 0 gigs because when it's released Valve will announce that they've been hiding it in all their TF2, L4D2, HL2, and Alien Swarm updates. Release day will be like Voltron forming.

Bruce Forsyth on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pyro is EP3

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hawk wrote: »
    I think Episode 3 is going the way of the Dodo and Duke Nukem Forever...

Episode 2 was released almost three years ago. DNF was announced thirteen years ago. There's a bit of time yet before we reach that level of delay.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TF2 took a decade. Valve time permitting, it's within reason enough to make the jokes amusing.

Roland_tHTG on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Episode 3 already came out, it was named Alien Swarm and it took the series in an entirely new direction. Now they're working on more TF2 hats.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    [strike]I have just been informed by Centipeed that I have another copy of Worms: Reloaded to offer on the open market, as he has been disowned by all of his friend that was going to buy my last copy.[/strike]
    To my knowledge, that last bit is not true. He might have never actually had any friends. Or they might have gone temporarily insane and decided that Worms is a terrible game. Insane. Probably mad cow disease... I dunno. ^_^

Regardless, if you have paypal, and PM me nowish, then for the low, low, bundle price of $15 (or about £10 if you're on the isles), you too can enjoy the thrilling "Ballad of Boggy B"

Actually, you know what... let's not click that spoiler. It tis a silly song.

EDIT!
    --Final copy of game currently claimed by Red Trousers!
    Exclamation Points!
    Secondary Edit:
    The Red Trousers have disappeared! :/

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oooh, Dead Rising 2 available for pre-purchase. I want to get it, but I also pre-purchased Darksiders and they come out within a week of each other.

There's something that confuses me a little. The DRM lists "Microsoft SSA and ZDPP". I believe Microsoft SSA is something related to GFW Live, but I have never heard about ZDPP before. A quick googling reveals that ZDPP is also related to GFW Live.

Peewi on
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there a particular reason the PC version is $40?

Tertiee on
    edited August 2010
    Capcom are being nice to PC gamers? All the other Capcom games on Steam launched at 40 too, but I guess Dark Void is the only one of those that didn't launch on PC a while after having been available on PC.

Peewi on
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am so pleasantly surprised about that! I was never sure if it was coming to PC because I seem to be wrong about that half the time even when I try to look things up (stupid forum threads and outdated articles showing up through google search).

So I kind of want to buy it just to show Capcom, "Yes, if you release a PC version of your games on launch day people will buy it". Which is special because I haven't bought a game full price for a long time (Steam sale junkie). I do lament that there is no preorder bonus or discount, but that's just spoiled brattiness.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Capcom pretty much take first prize this generation. Their big titles have all been ported to PC, and run spectacularly. Other than annoying GFWL bullshit which I don't particularly blame them for, the games are completely non-insulting to PC gamers and don't include insane DRM or "social club" type stuff or charging overblown console prices or delaying PC releases to whenever they feel like it.

Just...buy their games if you have any interest in them. They deserve it and it sends a good message.

edit: Actually they do release the games after their console versions - but I'll let that slide since they otherwise do a good job.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A part of me will be eternally frustrated that they weren't so generous last generation. I remember them PC-releasing all kinds of franchises I didn't care about... Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Onimusha (and I bought them all!), and Dead Rising was never ported. The only game I cared about! Not enough to buy a console, obviously, but I'll always miss it, even with Dead Rising 2 in my account.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
    edited August 2010
    In some cases they even have features exclusive to the PC versions. Devil May Cry 4 and Resident Evil 5 both have PC exclusive modes with much larger amounts of enemies and Street Fighter 4 has some graphical filters.

Peewi on
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    RE5 had graphical filters on the PC as well, but I'm not sure if that was PC exclusive.

Icemopper on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Still waiting for Super Street Fighter 4, assholes. Also confirmation of PC Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 would be swell. (And no charging higher for it on the PC like Rearmed 1 just because you can or whatever the shit.)

Zxerol on
  • metal_spidermetal_spider Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Still waiting for Super Street Fighter 4, assholes.

Also confirmation of PC Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 would be swell.

(And no charging higher for it on the PC like Rearmed 1 just because you can or whatever the shit.)

Yes to all 3. Will probably get Dead Rising 2 pretty soon; just so they are convinced to release SSF4 sooner rather than later.

metal_spider on
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I thought the reason Capcom could cater to the PC market this generation was because they've switched to a new development cycle where they develop it on the PC, then spend the last couple of months or whatever making sure it works well on the 360, after which they have the PC version nearly ready to go?

Centipeed on
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Tempted on DR2 on PC. $20 difference from consoles...

I wonder if it's GFWL

Hawk on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    '3rd-party DRM: Microsoft SSA and ZDPP' and

'Games for Windows–LIVE System Requirements: Multiplayer play and other LIVE features included at no charge; games may offer additional downloads that may require additional fees. LIVE is not available in all countries, visit www.gamesforwindows.com/live/countries for more information.'

on the DR2 store page says yes

Dehumanized on
This discussion has been closed.