As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fully-Modular PSU Search

SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today!Registered User regular
As I mentioned in the general build thread, My TOP-900W is on its way out, after many years of good service.

I replaced my worn-out 8800GT cards with a pair of EVGA GTX 460 in SLI. I'm running that with a trio of hard drives, a Q9650 quad-core processor, and two optical drivers. I'd like an actual modular PSU (i.e. one with only modular leads, rather than any hardwired ones), since that will let me keep my current arrangement of cables. I've got a EVGA 780i motherboard, though I don't think that makes too much of a difference.

So far, I've gotten two very good suggestions: a Silverstone ST1000 and a SeaSonic X750.

I'm leaning towards the ST1000, since I'm more familiar with Silverstone, and I'm not too worried about sound (though quieter is nicer, of course). If there are any other suggestions among rare fully-modular PSUs that could cover a pair of those cards and a CPU, I'd definitely like to consider them. My budget is $150 to $250 (I'm shooting for $200), since I've the year's resumed and I've gotten my TA job back.

Synthesis on

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Corsair makes amazing PSUs, and has a bunch that easily fit your criteria. The only one I'd shy away from would be the 650w, but everything else on that list is more than adequate.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Get the Seasonic X-750.

Review that was linked in the Computer Build thread recently:
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/09/25/seasonic_x_series_x750_power_supply_review/

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I used to have a SeaSonic M700, and I fucking swore by it. The only reason I don't have it now is that I lost some of the modular cables, and SeaSonic wouldn't sell me a replacement set, so I had to go with a slightly cheaper modular for my current system.

Go with the SeaSonic (just don't lose your spare cables).

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The Seasonic is well-recommended, though both have excellent reviews.

I'm trying to comparing the outputs on different lines. My motherboard's own lead-ins are pretty typical (again, 780i), so I doubt that'll be the deciding factor.

I'm also looking at the Corsair models...basically just the two 850W models. One is rated as 80% (or above).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    All are great manufacturers. I'm pretty sure OCZ bought PC Power and Cooling recently (or maybe it was Corsair, but I don't think so), so that should give you a fair assumption as to the build quality.

You really can't go wrong from any of those four manufacturers, so at this point it comes down to personal preferences or even looks.

My guess is all of the PSUs with the same wattage rating should have the same number of rails at similar amperage. If not, lean toward one with more current since it should give you the most overhead.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I'm feeling the same way myself. There's not a lot of information on the individual rails (at least not at NewEgg), so I'll keep looking, but I do like the idea of having more overhead (which'll let me take the PSU with me if I need to rebuild a system from scratch).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well, it looks like a showdown again between the Seasonic and the Silverstone. One thing that has showed up repeatedly in Seasonic reviews is a "high-pitched whine"...odd, but a very minor issue.

A more important issue is that, apparently, the Seasonic has no 24-pin lead output. It uses a 20+4 instead. It shouldn't make a difference, since you're left with at least 4 PCI-E outputs. The Silverstone has a 24-pin output, which is what my motherboard uses (as well as pretty much any recent motherboard, I think).

Barring any other issues, I think I'll go with the ST1000 (place an order sometime tomorrow). If there are any other suggestions, though, please keep them coming.

Synthesis on