As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Thread derailed by train puns

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    so on a lark i took a look at the railworks DLC

there's 50 of them

total cost: $772.00

i mean we complain about DLC boosting the total cost of ownership but geez

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    so on a lark i took a look at the railworks DLC

there's 50 of them

total cost: $772.00

i mean we complain about DLC boosting the total cost of ownership but geez

It's not at all surprising when you consider that RailWorks is an intended replacement for real railway models and sets.

It isn't supposed to use the same business model as any other video game.

Centipeed on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I really wonder how well it actually sells.

L Ron Howard on
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't know if this was linked in the old thread, but I found a nice article on how the summer sale saved introversion.

It feels good to see my $10 go to some good dudes. Uplink alone has claimed much of my time over the years.

tallgeeze on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I really wonder how well it actually sells.

They must be making enough money to continue releasing DLC for it. I would like to see some stats though, I think it would be interesting to see how many people own the game, and which DLC is most popular, etc.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Or $6/£4.80 for a 4-pack. And despite being multiplayer only, I hear it has passable bots.

Bioptic on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Shit, I might just give it a try for that price. It looked interesting from an interview vid I saw a while ago.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • kalkal Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »

Or $6/£4.80 for a 4-pack. And despite being multiplayer only, I hear it has passable bots.

Even with only the passing interest I had for the game when it released for 2 bucks that's a can't pass. I'd be willing to join in on a four pack as well for the extra savings if anyone is up for it.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    At that price I'd say it's not even worth bothering with the four pack for the tiny amount of savings.

Plain Sight bought'd.

Peewi on
  • Red TrousersRed Trousers Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    I don't know if this was linked in the old thread, but I found a nice article on how the summer sale saved introversion.

It feels good to see my $10 go to some good dudes. Uplink alone has claimed much of my time over the years.

Good article until it gets to the end

"But for everyone else...Valve may be in most people's good books, but it's still a little frightening to think that a single company can play Kingmaker with the fortunes of developers across an entire platform, so dependant have so many PC publishers become on Steam for legitimate sales."

That's not quite true, they just came to agreement with Valve that allowed them to promote their game, same you would do with any other brick & mortar or online store.

They are talking as though Valve can decide one day that they will not stock a developers game and then no-one will ever buy it.

A lot of the time I use Steam like a games guide, its easier to find out about games that are out there, then I'll go into penny-pincher mode and check every online shop and compare prices.

Red Trousers on
    steam_sig.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man I can't even buy a decent sandwich for that kind of money, that's just insane.

The thing is, well, let's go off of what happened with Introversion again.

IIRC this is just a one-guy developed game isn't it? So, assume Steam takes a 50% cut, and he gets a grand total of $1 per transaction.

If this manages to sell say 100,000 copies, that's literally $100,000 made in pretty much a snap-sale of 3 days.

I'm going to repeat, that's just insane.

subedii on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's actually a relatively large indie startup, more than ten people iirc. They spent quite a long time on it too (I think more than 2 years).

They are also working on a game for Channel 4.

LewieP on
    edited August 2010
    Huh, wonder where I got the idea of one person from. Probably thinking of Audiosurf.

subedii on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Still, I bet the sum of money will still be huge for them.

LewieP on
    edited August 2010
    I mean at that price I'm half-inclined to just spend the £4.80 and get the four-pack, and just give away the other copies.

subedii on
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The gamesindustry.biz interview goes into a bit more detail about Introversion. The failed XBLA venture really hit them hard though, scaled back original four founders, so I'm happy to see that Subversion has a much better chance at being released.
    A couple of statistics that I'm sure Valve won't mind me sharing: We've now sold more than $2.5 million through Steam, which is pretty good for Introversion, through life. Not all of that comes back to us, because sometimes it's been in bundle packs, and we've gotten less. But basically it equates to almost bang on £1 million, so we're really pleased.

The sale did in the ball park of $250,000 - so when you're back to being a team of four people, that's a lot of revenue.

Tertiee on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    subedii wrote: »
    I mean at that price I'm half-inclined to just spend the £4.80 and get the four-pack, and just give away the other copies.

As a near-broke gamer the idea of someone giving me a zany looking bright and colorful robotman game would make me happy =D.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • AsiriyaAsiriya Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How do I get a PA Steam group invite? I'm Bear_King if anyone with the power would care to let me in.

Asiriya on
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Beatnik Games' website says they've got 8 people on board.

That seems like a lot. Perhaps their project for Channel 4 is particularly complex?

Centipeed on
  • MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Asiriya wrote: »
    How do I get a PA Steam group invite? I'm Bear_King if anyone with the power would care to let me in.

Check your invites.

MyNameIsWalrus on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Going back to the $1 Ubisoft snafu.
    I just received an email giving me a coupon code to get a copy for of Assassin's Creed 1&2 Animus Bundle for free, basically. So, for the rest of you that got the download.txt file, check your emails as you probably have it sitting in there.

L Ron Howard on
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Going back to the $1 Ubisoft snafu.
    I just received an email giving me a coupon code to get a copy for of Assassin's Creed 1&2 Animus Bundle for free, basically. So, for the rest of you that got the download.txt file, check your emails as you probably have it sitting in there.

Wow not too shabby at all, gonna take me forever to download, I still haven't bothered finishing the splinter cell DL, i suppose I should do that while I still can. I wonder when we'll hear about the $1 pre-orders I'm still not really expecting RUSE to go through

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    About Plain Sight, the Steam add says: New content! Persistant Perks! 100 MORE top hats!
    So, another game joining the hat formula? :D

HiT BiT on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »
    The gamesindustry.biz interview goes into a bit more detail about Introversion. The failed XBLA venture really hit them hard though, scaled back original four founders, so I'm happy to see that Subversion has a much better chance at being released.
    A couple of statistics that I'm sure Valve won't mind me sharing: We've now sold more than $2.5 million through Steam, which is pretty good for Introversion, through life. Not all of that comes back to us, because sometimes it's been in bundle packs, and we've gotten less. But basically it equates to almost bang on £1 million, so we're really pleased.

The sale did in the ball park of $250,000 - so when you're back to being a team of four people, that's a lot of revenue.

It's a shame that Darwinia+ didn't do so well on XBLA. I played through it on the PC and ended up buying it on XBLA a few weeks ago. It feels like they changed a few things in a way I didn't like - specifically, I could have sworn you could make a Darwinian leader an order to direct all Darwinians to a specific location and also have him move in another direction while he was directing everyone to a certain spot. I couldn't find a way to do it in the XBLA game.

Anyway, I feel glad that I contributed to saving Introversion during that sale. I gifted the Introversion pack to my brother and another friend.

SteevL on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ubisoft just sent me a promo code for AC:Animus bundle, I bought 4 for $1 each but I figured one for free was worth it

But it let me buy 4 copies for free

LOVE YOU UBISOFT! (wow I never thought I'd say that)

override367 on
  • .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well I certainly am encouraged by their RUSE decision to go Steam-DRM only. I hope that becomes a popular choice for them by the time BG&E2 rolls out.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ubisoft just sent me a promo code for AC:Animus bundle, I bought 4 for $1 each but I figured one for free was worth it

But it let me buy 4 copies for free

LOVE YOU UBISOFT! (wow I never thought I'd say that)

I got mine too. I wish I had bought RUSE too. I would have if I had known all sales were apparently final.

Couscous on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Episode 3 already came out, it was named Alien Swarm and it took the series in an entirely new direction. Now they're working on more TF2 hats.
    Valve is already deep into their new hat-centric business model.

52f0x1.png

Monger on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oooh nice Plain Sights sale. Been waiting for that.

gonna 4 pack that shit with some friends

Alegis on
  • FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I bought Race 07 and GTR Evolution.

I think I'm the only person on the PA forums that plays sim racers.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    tallgeeze wrote: »

Good article until it gets to the end

"But for everyone else...Valve may be in most people's good books, but it's still a little frightening to think that a single company can play Kingmaker with the fortunes of developers across an entire platform, so dependant have so many PC publishers become on Steam for legitimate sales."

That's not quite true, they just came to agreement with Valve that allowed them to promote their game, same you would do with any other brick & mortar or online store.

They are talking as though Valve can decide one day that they will not stock a developers game and then no-one will ever buy it.

A lot of the time I use Steam like a games guide, its easier to find out about games that are out there, then I'll go into penny-pincher mode and check every online shop and compare prices.

Theres been quite a few interviews now that Ive read/heard where this sentiment is shared by the developers, valve doesnt return calls or acknowledge that you want to communicate with them. It feels like they are king and will lift their pinky occasionally and acknowledge you.

edit: bought a 4 pack of plain sight. It wont let me register my code. Server is probably melted.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2010
    Yeah server melted, cant register either

Alegis on
  • virtualboyvirtualboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Has anyone tried out that Steam App (http://www.steameapp.com) for iPhone?

I'm curious to know if it pushes out a warning to let you know when a Steam Sale has started?

virtualboy on
    acunningplan.jpg
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bah, this newfangled canadian IP doesn't mix with my debit card and Steam. Would anyone care to gift me a copy if I gift them $2 over paypal?

Antithesis on
    edited August 2010
    Probably not

but man, think of how sweet it is that you can check your achievements again anywhere in the world.

You're on a train? Achievements.
    You're on the toilet? Guess what you can check? Achievements.

The possibilities are endless.

Alegis on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2010
    215547119_n8Q6A-L-2.jpg

Echo on
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Antithesis wrote: »
    Bah, this newfangled canadian IP doesn't mix with my debit card and Steam. Would anyone care to gift me a copy if I gift them $2 over paypal?

Accept my friend request, and I will hook you up. $2 is practically free anyway, right?

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Teriferin wrote: »
    Antithesis wrote: »

Accept my friend request, and I will hook you up. $2 is practically free anyway, right?

You're now on my list of classy people that deserve benefits.

Antithesis on
  • seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    About Plain Sight, the Steam add says: New content! Persistant Perks! 100 MORE top hats!
    So, another game joining the hat formula? :D

Excerpt from an email I got from Beatnik about the sale (and the game update):
    Ladies, Gentlemen and Robots.

You’re receiving this spam email because you were smart enough to buy the suicidal ninja robot mash up, Plain Sight.

Since launch, we’ve been working around the clock to add the features most requested by our wonderful fans. Today, we’re especially proud to announce version 1.2 of Plain Sight. It’s crammed with loads of new stuff including, most importantly, TOP HATS! (it worked for TF2, right?)

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
This discussion has been closed.