As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Savage Worlds/Any setting RPG?

FeygorFeygor Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Critical Failures
Hey,

I am looking for a rule system that is good for using in almost any setting but is not mini centric. I got really excited for Savage Worlds when I first heard about it but as I looked into it more I found most of the reviews saying it involves using miniatures alot. Is this true? I looked at Burning Wheel and that seems like alot of rules/charts. GURPS is traditional but it has never really intrested me. Any advice/reviews?

Thanks.

Feygor on

• Options
    neoookamineoookami Mike Pembroke, NCRegistered User new member
    edited August 2010
    Savage Worlds is a fun system, that has FAST miniatures combat, but yes is pretty mini heavy. It's one of my two go-to generic systems, and it's the one where combat's a big deal. The other I'd recommend is Fudge, which has the advantage of being a free download, but also having a nice print edition you can still snag if you like. Fudge does put a bit of work on the GM's part, as you basically have to pick what rules you're using but it's pretty straightforward to play and can be retooled for pretty much anything.

neoookami on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The nWoD base system is pretty solid for modern or near-modern games. I've got designs on using it to run a campaign set in the Terminator universe, for example. The core book is relatively cheap compared to the others, too.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I pretty much play Savage Worlds exclusively these days just for the variety of settings/themes it allows. The system is designed with minis in mind, but we have played several sessions where we never busted out the gaming mat. It really depends on the savage setting. For example, in the Deadlands setting, minis and combat are going to play a bigger role since the characaters will be expected to involve themselves in combat of one sort or another fairly regularly. On the other hand, playing in Savage Cthulhu, we never even unrolled the game mat as getting into combat with... well, with anything in Cthulhu is a good way to get your character killed.

One of the features about Savage Worlds that I find helps players, especially newer players, are the edges and hindrances mechanic picked for a character upon creation. While they have mechanical importance, these help give a solid foundation for how a character acts and some, like the "Curious" Hindrance, will lead veteran gamers (who would normally never fall for that trap) into amusing situations. It is also a really easy setting on the GM to run, as characters stats and generation is very straight forward.

The bottom line is, minis are great, especially the economically friendly paper minis available for several savage settings (this is what we use), but they are only really needed if you run the sort of game where combat is center stage. Even then, any sort of visual marker will do the trick, they just add a nice touch.

Kias on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SW is basically a direct descendant of "The Great Rail Wars" which was a miniatures game based on Deadlands. With that as a base they blended in all the good bits of the Deadlands RPG system and simplified the hell out of it. The core book states pretty plainly that the system is miniatures focused, but I've seen it done without. It all depends on how tactical you want to get with it.

Radical Ans on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I really dig the Unisystem, especially Cinematic Unisystem, which plays fast and loose.

You can find classic Unisystem rules either in the books for Conspiracy X 2nd edition or All Flesh Must be Eaten.

You can find the Cinematic Unisystem in the Buffy, Angel, or Army of Darkness RPGs.

mightyspacepope on