As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Thread for Older Fighting Games -- Here Comes An Old Challenger!

BTPBTP Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Games and Technology
Terry Bogard: Fellow Enthusiast of Kicking Ass
Terry2000fix.png

"Hey, you! Yeah, you! The "You" that just clicked on this thread!
I want to talk to you!

Let me guess: You are probably playing or have at least heard about any of the following games...."

"...If you are, that's awesome. I'm sure you're getting lots of good info and strategies and tips from all of the good people in this place. They seem like okay guys and gals.

But maybe you're also playing other fighting games....games that appeared on consoles not of this generation.....games that are getting up to 20 years old. Maybe you're also playing other good stuff like Street Fighter III: Third Strike, or X-Men vs. Street Fighter, or Killer Instinct, or Samurai Shodown II, or any version of The King of Fighters or Fatal Fury that has Yours Truly proudly Burn Knuckling my way through everything. That's also good. Because that's what I want to talk about. I want to talk about all of those other games that are still getting plenty of play to this day, still getting plenty of action in tournaments all across the world, still bringing in new players, still....."

Geese Howard: Killed Terry's father. Supposed to be deceased. Is somehow in this thread.
Nbc_geese.jpg
"Heh. All talk and no action. Your father never talked this much. In fact, he still doesn't! HAHAHA!"

Terry2000fix.png
"..............WHO INVITED THIS GUY?!"

Dear Mods: If upon first sight of this thread, one of the words that entered into your head was "mega-thread", please hear me out with what I put in the spoiler.

Basis for the thread:
BTP wrote: »
Just wondering something. During May 2007-May 2008, there was a thread for fighting games in general that I made called "So, you know, fighting games.....", and the thread did its job.

But now with the revival of the fighting game genre, we now have our own threads for Super Street Fighter IV, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, BlazBlue, King of Fighters XIII, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, etc., it doesn't seem like there is a need for a general fighting game thread like the one linked above.

However, what if it were turned into a thread for the older but still kick-ass fighting games? As an example, I don't see a thread solely about Killer Instinct lasting for too long (unless a new one gets announced :winky: ) beyond us posting our memories of it. But if that was done in a thread that would invite discussion of other fighting games in addition to Killer Instinct.....especially if perhaps you know you still have a local scene for a certain game....or just want some general advice for an old fighting game that you recently bought and is therefore "new" to you....

Would it be worth it to make such a thread, or would it be better to just make a thread with just the questions you have about a specific game?

And then to clarify:
Sivraj wrote: »
So, a thread just talking about the "glory" days of old fighting games?

I don't see how it could hurt. Could bring up all sorts of fighting game discussions about how great or sucky "Insert Game Here" was. Could also talk about more obscure fighting games that may not have been as popular as things like Mortal Kombat or Killer Instinct.

Dunno whether the thread rules would allow it or not though. But I'd at least lurk in there :)

I didn't mean it that specifically. Hmmm....how can I explain this?....

At the very least, everyone can get into the current fighting games I mentioned before because they are the most popular and they will always have a large community of competition because they can be played online. Hence, there will be a ton of discussion available about any aspect of these games.

But even the last gen games don't have these going for them anymore. Gamecube games were never online, OXbox games don't have Live anymore, and I don't even know if there were any fighting games that were online for PS2......but that doesn't mean these games aren't still being played, whether it's just with a few of your friends or at a local tournament. Anyone wanting to join in would be "new" to these older games and would need to start at step 1. But there's no discussion on those games anymore now because they aren't the new shiny hotness of fighting games and they missed that boat. Sure, there's GameFAQ and YouTube, but it's not the same, you know....?

I guess it'd be like someone who played SF4 Vanilla, loved it, wanted to try out other fighting games, and wanted to try to get into Marvel vs. Capcom 2 but at a time before anyone knew there would be a PSN/XBLA version. (An impossibility it seems, after googling, but you get the idea.)

It's understandable to (for the most part) not bother with games that have been surpassed. (-?- SF4 -> SSF4 -> Who cares about SF4? -?-) But even in this thread's OP there's talk of SF3:3s and Alpha 2/3. They're older fighting games that are still great and still being played. And I doubt they are the only ones.

Another thing to note: Megathread rule was created in 2006, original "Fighting games" thread created in 2007, lived a full year into 2008. Then previous SSF4 threads were titled "All things Street Fighter! Tatsunoku vs Capcom talk encouraged.". I don't see what this thread would do any differently that previous threads were allowed to do without getting labelled as a megathread.

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
BTP on

• BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Reserved

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    No Soulcalibur 4?

I worked so hard an that OP that nobody ever read. So hard!

Come September when I get my 360 back I'll have to make a choice between SSF4 and T6 for my next tourney game. Because of some really, really lame passport issues I won't even be able to make the last big Soulcalibur tourney. If neither of those games can spark anything for me -- and there's a good chance of that -- I may have to teak a break from fighting games until VF5:FS

Also, Sega needs to release VF3:TB on XBL, pronto.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What, no The Last Blade!?

I am disappoint.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    edited August 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    No Soulcalibur 4?

I worked so hard an that OP that nobody ever read. So hard!

I used the search! I didn't find it, but it would be there if I did find it or was linked to it.

@TOGSolid: You can talk about The Last Blade. TBH, I never heard of it until you mentioned it. D: Also, it made me think of Bushido Blade.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
    edited August 2010
    Last Blade > Samurai Shodown, really.

If SNK knew what was good for them they'd have put out a fancy, well animated Last Blade 3 right after MOTW.

But I'd take one now.

Here's the last SC4 thread. Hard to believe it's only been a year.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    edited August 2010
    Okay, how about I get this party started with an older fighting game I was able to pick up this summer. That game being CAPCOM VS. SNK 2! for Gamecube.

I'll go into much bigger detail tomorrow, but a main problem I'm having right now is just in how to do some of the supers. Take Guile's Somersault Strike. It's described as 1-3-1-9 + Kick. I can't pull this off. I typically end up getting the other super that's a charge back-forward-back-forward+Kick.

I'm using Training Mode, I'm using Input Display, and I'm able to use a Wii Classic Controller or N64 controller thanks to the Classic Linker N64 adapter I have, so this isn't an issue of using a Gamecube controller and its analog stick. And I know I'm hitting the right inputs! The only thing that would be "wrong" with it is that I've gotten 1-3-1-9-(9+K) and maybe that second 9 is killing me.

Anyone with CvS2 experience, help me out! How do you get the right motions?

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Does it just have to be old games?It would be cool if we can make it a fighting game thread for fighting games that aren't getting the love or not really all that well known.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Last Blade 2 is amazing. Dreamcast was basically the place to be for every good fighting game.

I bought Arcana Heart, but only played it for a week or so.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited August 2010
    The new arcana heart looks massively better than the first 2.

Antihippy on
    edited August 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Does it just have to be old games?It would be cool if we can make it a fighting game thread for fighting games that aren't getting the love or not really all that well known.

I.....suppose? What games did you have in mind?

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
    edited August 2010
    Well, there's the J-PSN released chaos breaker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iMCa4y6Syg

And upcoming stuff like:

Mike Z's skullgirls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0KV4ZLwkAk&feature=player_embedded

And chaos code.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J52tvzJZV1Y

And arcana heart 3 is nearly a non presence here as well. :lol:

Just stuff that aren't really all that popular likely to get a wide enough audience at PA to make threads for.

There are some other games but they fall into part of the doujin game thread.

Antihippy on
    edited August 2010
    It's really weird that Chaos Breaker never showed up here, since Warhammer is so popular.

Skull Girls just looks...weird. Something just seems really off/wrong about it. The sprites look awesome if you pause, but in motion it just doesn't fit. Not sure what it is about the models that gives me that feeling, but the weird flat backgrounds don't help. Or the very rectangular and boring health bars, but that'll probably get flashier if this isn't the finished game.

Chaos Code looks like another generic 'weird' anime fighting game. The blurb mentioned it's related to the people who do Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, and it definitely shows. Looks like...I will probably forget about it and never play it, also much like BlazBlue and the other generic indie anime fighters.

If this game didn't have the option to play as Billy and Jimmy, I probably wouldn't remember much besides the weird air juggle auto-combos you can do. But those two points make it awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ay6URP16GA

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Last Blade > Samurai Shodown, really.

I get that they are both samurai games and that last blade is a spiritual successor or whatever, but I hate when people compare them.

Samsho is all aboot the big counter hit damage, cling clang clang, and raaaaage. Last Blade is about being aesthetically pleasing, having dial-a-combos, and pretending Zantetsu's infinite doesn't exist. They are both cool but they are wildly different.

Also this thread needs more akatsuki blitzkampf.

Jubeh on
    edited August 2010
    The old one or the new one, akatsuki blitzkampf Rainbow edition?
    Chaos Code looks like another generic 'weird' anime fighting game. The blurb mentioned it's related to the people who do Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, and it definitely shows. Looks like...I will probably forget about it and never play it, also much like BlazBlue and the other generic indie anime fighters.

Arcsys iirc is only publishing, nothing else.

And blazblue is nowhere near indie. :lol: And also alot of fun, but if it's not your thing then eh.

Antihippy on
    edited August 2010
    The new one is too anime for my tastes but we will see how that goes. But no seriously what is the deal with those hitsparks.

Jubeh on
    edited August 2010
    Tell me about it. :/

If blitztank is still awesome I might look into it. But yeah, too colourful and flashy for all the wrong reasons.

And if I have to choose between last blade and sam sho it'll be last blade 2 aaaaaaall day. Though sadly samsho will get a sequel and last blade will get forgotten by SNK forever. :(

Antihippy on
    edited August 2010
    If it makes you feel better all the new samsho games have been awful. If you aren't doing 50% health on a counter hit, it's not samsho.

Jubeh on
    edited August 2010
    You mean the soul calibur rip-off one?

Antihippy on
    edited August 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    And blazblue is nowhere near indie. :lol: And also alot of fun, but if it's not your thing then eh.

Yeah, I was trying to keep those two comments separate. I was trying to refer to both it and the indie...doujin...computer games. Without saying it was one of those, just that they fall into the same grouping usually.

I've played BlazBlue a grand total of two fights. I picked a character because I'd found out their birthday was the same as mine. Without even knowing what the buttons did, I beat the guy who had earned his spot beating the last few challengers. While I was playing the second fight, the people who had brought the game to the con became annoyed with me, so I stopped playing and left.

I haven't been able to work up any interest since. The way people say the name also irritates me, same reason why I can never mention Eureka 7 at cons.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited August 2010
    That guy clearly wasn't good then.

And most doujin games are often pretty different mechanically from each other and it isn't really fair to generalise into one lump group as if they were the same.

Though i don't wish to turn this into a blazblue and doujin fighting game argument so I'm gonna stop there. :P

Antihippy on
    edited August 2010
    That Blitz game actually looks interesting. I must have seen clips of the original one, because a few characters and the life bar look familiar. The tank with a skull on it sold me. I like this character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDHhL_E8Kyc

This guy's combo videos are incredibly well done. The ones with lots of long combos actually pops up exactly what buttons to hit, when they need to be hit in the video. Music, but you can still hear the sound effects.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited August 2010
    There's a new one coming out.

And I have no idea why they're over-ramping the special effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpOslj-MOF8

Block = fill the whole screen with fucking sparks.

Some direct feed stuff. Akatsuki wasn't a looker but the new one is way worse.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kouhatsu#p/u/3/Ku1Y2MQfbE0

Antihippy on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is truly the thread for me, as I just found a cheap copy of Super Street Fighter II the other day.

Tamin on
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The local arcade around here has no new fighting games, but they do have Street Fighter Alpha 3 and CvS2. In conclusion: K-Groove Geese Howard

Walt on
    edited August 2010
    I've got nothing against SamSho. I actually like SamSho.

I just think SNK would have served themselves better if they'd worked on a Last Blade 3 instead of pushing out a dozen increasingly terrible SamSho sequels.

Page- on
    stream
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010

I just think SNK would have served themselves better if they'd worked on a Last Blade 3 instead of pushing out a dozen increasingly terrible SamSho sequels.

Heh, I got to play SS and LB on cabs last weekend.

Also greatest game ever, I need to fix my supergun!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o1M15T6GBM&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf1Z1XTpzOw&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz1UFDdCp7o&feature=related

nstf on
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

To be fair, SNK hasn't done any in-house Samurai Shodown games since Samurai Shodown: Warriors' Rage (1998, same year as Last Blade 2). And the last 2D one they made was SSIV (1996).

SSV, VSpecial and VI were all done by Yuki Enterprises, and SS Sen was done by K2.

Granted, they could have probably chosen to outsource development of Last Blade 3 to Yuki Enterprises (or some other company), but the series had set the bar so high that I wouldn't have trusted it to anyone but SNK proper.

Still, if SNK Playmore ever decides to make a non-KOF fighting game in-house (they haven't yet[*] and I'm not sure they ever will), I agree Last Blade 3 would be the best choice. Really fantastic setting, easy to pick-up, amazing aesthetic, cool characters, everything. [IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT, PLAY IT.]

[*] Edit: Okay, I forgot about SvC: Chaos and NGBC. Those were SNK Playmore, in-house and non-KOF. But they were also cross-over games, so I'll claim an exception.

Rex Dart on
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I will subscribe to this BTP, if only because anything that links my OP is suddenly something worthwhile.

ChaosHat on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is as good a place as any to drop this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q81ptFSA4mk

Also, I have MOTW for XBLA. It is awesome, and I am terrible at it.

chamberlain on
    edited August 2010
    I changed the thread title slightly, just in case there would ever be any ambiguity in the future where it would be mistaken for a thread that got replaced by a "Newer Fighting Games" thread.
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I will subscribe to this BTP, if only because anything that links my OP is suddenly something worthwhile.

Ummm.............k?

And holy shit at that Goose Howard. Fuck that goose.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
    edited August 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    HnK videos]

Yes yes yes forever yes. I love hnk. Its like a samurai sword fight in knowing that getting hit could possibly lead to you dying instantly.

Jubeh on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I was the second best Kasumi in the world in Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate. Not that that means anything now but god I poured so many hours into that.

Looking back, it was so hilariously broken, with Ayane's 4p being goddamn god mode and Ein being bullshit and Hyabusa being even more bullshit. But it was still a fun time.

Transporter on
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Vampire Savior (Darkstalkers 3) is the best thing that Capcom has ever done. Can't wait 'till I'm home and can play on GGPO again; supposedly an arcade up in Richmond just got a Vamp Savior cab as well. I'll definitely have to make a day trip up there to check that out.

Now here's a video of Sako being awesome.

Sako (Bulleta) vs Arai Kenta (Sasquatch)
    The combo at around 1:30 is an stupidly impractical infinite that doesn't do much more damage than her normal combos. It looks frickin' sweet though, and Sako is literally the only person in the world who can actually perform this version in a match setting (using dash mp instead of dash lp) so he busts it out occasionally when he really feels like styling on someone.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Rex Dart wrote: »

To be fair, SNK hasn't done any in-house Samurai Shodown games since Samurai Shodown: Warriors' Rage (1998, same year as Last Blade 2). And the last 2D one they made was SSIV (1996).

SSV, VSpecial and VI were all done by Yuki Enterprises, and SS Sen was done by K2.

Granted, they could have probably chosen to outsource development of Last Blade 3 to Yuki Enterprises (or some other company), but the series had set the bar so high that I wouldn't have trusted it to anyone but SNK proper.

Still, if SNK Playmore ever decides to make a non-KOF fighting game in-house (they haven't yet[*] and I'm not sure they ever will), I agree Last Blade 3 would be the best choice. Really fantastic setting, easy to pick-up, amazing aesthetic, cool characters, everything. [IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT, PLAY IT.]

[*] Edit: Okay, I forgot about SvC: Chaos and NGBC. Those were SNK Playmore, in-house and non-KOF. But they were also cross-over games, so I'll claim an exception.

I have to say, I like SS4 the best out of the SamSho series. I've also finally gotten a chance to play SamSho 64 and 64 2, and they actually play a good bit like the 2D ones. I wonder why Sen wasn't more like those two?

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited August 2010
    I was the second best Kasumi in the world in Dead or Alive 2 Ultimate. Not that that means anything now but god I poured so many hours into that.

Looking back, it was so hilariously broken, with Ayane's 4p being goddamn god mode and Ein being bullshit and Hyabusa being even more bullshit. But it was still a fun time.

Dead or Alive 2 was this close to being a great fighting game, which only makes it sadder the way the series went down the tubes afterwards.

But who didn't like some good Ein action? 46p all day, son. That move was so good it could actually combo off of Gen-fu's 3kp46p -- the only move I ever found that could do that consistently. It was so bad ass.

For me, the most lolbroken character was Gen-fu, which was great because he was fun to play, where Hayabusa was boring as fuck to play unless you were doing handstand tricks. Why they took away that stance is a mystery to me. What's more awesome than a ninja who can wreck face and snap necks while standing on his hands?

Page- on
    stream
    edited August 2010
    All I can think of on all those random special effects is, perhaps they're trying to make it feel like the shift from old SF2 to the Alpha series?

SVC Chaos had such potential. If they could just clean up the controls, bug test it and remove the laughable glitches and infinites (seriously, Geese had a infinite that was just 'punch, kick, dash, punch, kick, dash, repeat') it would be a lot of fun. I love playing as Tessa/Tabasa.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited August 2010
    Speaking of hitsparks, they're really annoying in 3d fighters. I blame Tekken. Do we really need an explosion to tell if it was a counter hit? It just looks stupid. Even Virtua Fighter has been going that way with the major counter sparks added to VF5:R. At least they way they play with the lighting is neat.

Page- on
    stream
    edited August 2010
    Jubeh wrote: »
    nstf wrote: »
    HnK videos]

Yes yes yes forever yes. I love hnk. Its like a samurai sword fight in knowing that getting hit could possibly lead to you dying instantly.

However, the thing about "instantly", is that it can last THE ENTIRE MATCH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJd7RAh09SM&feature=player_embedded

Anyway, here's some CvS2 videos that are fairly recent.

The craziest celebration I've ever seen.

I love the last part of this vid. (And please forgive the CRT.)

And in case it got missed on the first page.
    Okay, how about I get this party started with an older fighting game I was able to pick up this summer. That game being CAPCOM VS. SNK 2! for Gamecube.

I'll go into much bigger detail tomorrow, but a main problem I'm having right now is just in how to do some of the supers. Take Guile's Somersault Strike. It's described as 1-3-1-9 + Kick. I can't pull this off. I typically end up getting the other super that's a charge back-forward-back-forward+Kick.

I'm using Training Mode, I'm using Input Display, and I'm able to use a Wii Classic Controller or N64 controller thanks to the Classic Linker N64 adapter I have, so this isn't an issue of using a Gamecube controller and its analog stick. And I know I'm hitting the right inputs! The only thing that would be "wrong" with it is that I've gotten 1-3-1-9-(9+K) and maybe that second 9 is killing me.

I said I would go more into this, but I'm tired right now and I'll do that after sunrise. But for now, I do have a few, more simple questions.

What games do the C,A,P,S,N,K grooves originate? From what I can understand, C is almost any Capcom fighter. A, I don't know. P is from SF3:3s. S....Is this from King of Fighters? N.....Fatal Fury? K has to be Sam Sho.

And how the heck do you use N groove? I don't understand what's happening with that at all.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I played an old fighting game, named Asura Blade 2? Haven't even heard of Asura Blade 1. Only one cab, with the colors borked and all. It was pretty nice, semi-Darkstalker-ish vibe in a fantasy setting. I used the Rose-like character with the floating sword. Bouncy.

The arcade closed down, and I've never seen it since.

Wearingglasses on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I said I would go more into this, but I'm tired right now and I'll do that after sunrise. But for now, I do have a few, more simple questions.

What games do the C,A,P,S,N,K grooves originate? From what I can understand, C is almost any Capcom fighter. A, I don't know. P is from SF3:3s. S....Is this from King of Fighters? N.....Fatal Fury? K has to be Sam Sho.

And how the heck do you use N groove? I don't understand what's happening with that at all.

Can you describe the grooves more? It's been a long time since I've played. I do remember that K is from SamSho 4 though.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2