As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Door-step Proseletizing

• Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »
    I don't think Christians can door-to-door proselytize anymore. Shit, I don't think they can proselytize at all anymore.
    What do you mean by this? Do you mean legally, or are you just saying it's not an effective way to get converts?

The latter.

They can't exactly spread the word in the missionary sense anymore. Everyone knows what their religion is, and the bulk of people have already made a choice before somebody comes a-knocking at the front door.
    Not in the West, true.

But there is a pretty large missionary drive in Africa and Asia by a variety of Christian demoninations. China, especially, is turning out to be pretty fertile ground for the spread of Christianity. It'll be interesting to see how Christianity turns out once it becomes heavily Asian and African. Christians in those countries tend to make our fundamentalists look tame- I think Uganda just re-instituted the death penalty for sodomy.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't think Christians can door-to-door proselytize anymore. Shit, I don't think they can proselytize at all anymore.
    What do you mean by this? Do you mean legally, or are you just saying it's not an effective way to get converts?

The latter.

They can't exactly spread the word in the missionary sense anymore. Everyone knows what their religion is, and the bulk of people have already made a choice before somebody comes a-knocking at the front door.

What's weird is that I'm a Christian, and when I say as much to these people they are somehow even more interested in talking to me. I wonder how many of these people are doing this for themselves instead of others, or maybe they're just so excited that they didn't immediately get a door to the face.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    See, this is totally the wrong way to handle this.

The correct way to handle this is for the gay couple whose house they're doing this in front of to get together with a bunch of their LGBT friends, and show up in front of their church on Sunday morning dressed in their Gay Pride best, and make out while the religious fanatics are trying to take their children to church.

Bonus points if they live in an open carry state and show up armed to the teeth.

Er, this is what people refer to when they talk about "don't sink to their level."

Ignore them, or do what the neighborhood did and ask them to leave, but don't harass them back in return.

That's not a very Christian thing to do, after all.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nucker wrote: »
    Even if you convert a few, I'd be more than willing to bet that you'd completely alienate a substantially higher number of people.

As long as they're being polite, how are the missionaries alienating people? Rather, the people who feel alienated by polite missionaries--are these people who are going to wake up one day and think, "Man, I should go to that neat church I saw the other day!" or are they people who already have prejudices against the religion knocking on their door and are never going to join anyway?

I think most people who are on the fence would rather talk about religion with somebody they know and trust instead of some random stranger who shows up at the door.

I would think most people on the fence about who to vote for would rather hear about politics from someone they know and trust rather than getting annoying as fuck telemarketing calls, doorsteppers, and junk mail. Obama and McCain both had expert marketing people on their staffs, and they still had swarms of campaign workers pissing off the whole country in the middle of dinner. It must have been working on someone.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Most people who are "on the fence" are on the fence because they don't know anything about politics and neither does anyone they regularly talk to. The informed, legitimately conflicted voter is a myth. The most effective way to reach these un-engaged people is to knock on their door and try to have a conversation with them.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Nucker wrote: »
    I don't think Christians can door-to-door proselytize anymore. Shit, I don't think they can proselytize at all anymore. With global communications the way they are, I don't know a single person in the first world who hasn't heard of Jesus. So it just comes off really annoying and does more harm to the church than help.

You must not live near any Mormon or Jehova's Witnesses hotspots. I grew up Mormon, and at 18 we were expected to head off somewhere in the states or abroad to knock on doors and spread the word that Mormons aren't actually sociopathic nuclear families.

Sometimes they even managed to wrangle a few people in to coming to church on sunday, too.

Well, I guess now the perception if Mormons is that they're all door-to-door proselytizing dudes in ties instead of sociopathic nuclear families. Might be an improvement, but still not exactly "normal".

A while ago there was an episode of "This American Life" where they interviewed two of the Mormon canvassers for one of the segments. From what I remember, they said actual converts were extremely rare. Like, they'd never heard of a single one.

I actually rather respect the Mormons. I'm not one myself or anything, but being willing to give up...what, two years of your life? To walk around and discuss your beliefs with people is fairly admirable. Especially since they know most will treat them like shit. Although all of the Mormon's I've ever spoken to have been the nicest damn people ever, even the door to door ones. They've always been very "Oh, alright, thanks for your time, God be with you" and left in peace.

Of course, that's anecdotal and I may just be super lucky in my dealings with them.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    The closest I've ever had to a door to door missionary type is when we moved into our current neighborhood one of our neighbors said we could go to their church if we wanted, but they never pushed, have always been friendly since and brought chocolates.

The latter.

Not in the West, true.

But there is a pretty large missionary drive in Africa and Asia by a variety of Christian demoninations. China, especially, is turning out to be pretty fertile ground for the spread of Christianity. It'll be interesting to see how Christianity turns out once it becomes heavily Asian and African. Christians in those countries tend to make our fundamentalists look tame- I think Uganda just re-instituted the death penalty for sodomy.

I know many Catholics (both clergy and lay people) believe this will result in a schism between the American European and to a lesser extent Latin American Catholic Church and that of Africa and Asia.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »

The correct way to handle this is for the gay couple whose house they're doing this in front of to get together with a bunch of their LGBT friends, and show up in front of their church on Sunday morning dressed in their Gay Pride best, and make out while the religious fanatics are trying to take their children to church.

Bonus points if they live in an open carry state and show up armed to the teeth.

Er, this is what people refer to when they talk about "don't sink to their level."

Ignore them, or do what the neighborhood did and ask them to leave, but don't harass them back in return.

I'm Jewish. Can I do it.

The only religious problems my town has are the Orthodox on Shabbat. They leave their cars all over the place on Friday night and don't use the walk signal buttons.

@ PantsB:
    Which group will have the French pope this time??

@Sniper:
    They're trained to react politely. My GF's dad used to work in the telecom trade, and they were all taught a "I secretly hate you but will be fired if you find out and complain" voice.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My local news station just covered this. Apparently the group had been coming to the street for the last 40 years, every summer so the residents don't think the gay couple was targetted...or at least, not at the start of things.

Sipex on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

No, it's called "giving them a taste of their own medicine."

Church assholes do shit like this to gay people all the time. And gay people are super-nice, and restrict their protests to their little "dissent areas," keeping it all nice an fenced-in away from the mean ol' bigots.

This is a terrible way to go about this, and they really need to learn that if they want to fight back, they need to do it in a way that's effective.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    My local news station just covered this. Apparently the group had been coming to the street for the last 40 years, every summer so the residents don't think the gay couple was targetted...or at least, not at the start of things.
    I'm assuming they've been all over the town in that period, not just this street?

Unless this street is on top of a hellmouth or something and these people were keeping it closed with their prayers. In which case, thanks a lot neighbors, for dooming us all.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited August 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »

I'm Jewish. Can I do it.

The only religious problems my town has are the Orthodox on Shabbat. They leave their cars all over the place on Friday night and don't use the walk signal buttons.

@ PantsB:
    Which group will have the French pope this time??

@Sniper:
    They're trained to react politely. My GF's dad used to work in the telecom trade, and they were all taught a "I secretly hate you but will be fired if you find out and complain" voice.

They're trained to act politely because they are going door to door and dealing with incredibly hostile people, but that does not preclude them from also being genuinely nice. There's not a massive mormon evil conspiracy lurking beneath their kind veneer.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    What's the consensus on dropping Chick Tracts in the mailbox? That doesn't seem as bothersome as knocking on doors but it's still a form of proselytizing.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't think Christians can door-to-door proselytize anymore. Shit, I don't think they can proselytize at all anymore. With global communications the way they are, I don't know a single person in the first world who hasn't heard of Jesus. So it just comes off really annoying and does more harm to the church than help.

Some Jehova's Witnesses showed up at my door last summer. I talked to them for about 3 hours. Got out my Oxford Annotated (NRSV based) bible to argue differing translations etc....

At the end they said they had to leave. I even gave them my email address and said they could come back whenever.

They never did. Never even got any Watchtower spam. Bah. Missionaries these days. No fucking conviction.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What's the consensus on dropping Chick Tracts in the mailbox? That doesn't seem as bothersome as knocking on doors but it's still a form of proselytizing.

It's a great way to convince people to not be christian. Especially the (very real) tract the zeolots don't like to talk about anymore where the dad repeatedly rapes his daughter (and lets his friend do so) but it's ok in the end and he doesn't have to go to jail because JESUS.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Those are hilarious and I was thinking of collecting them. I mean, they are just so hateful and completely unashamed of it. It's like looking into the mind of a madman.

I wanted to start a Photoshop thread for Chick Tracts but it could be seen as offensive to bigots, so I never did.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

No, it's called "giving them a taste of their own medicine."

Church assholes do shit like this to gay people all the time. And gay people are super-nice, and restrict their protests to their little "dissent areas," keeping it all nice an fenced-in away from the mean ol' bigots.

This is a terrible way to go about this, and they really need to learn that if they want to fight back, they need to do it in a way that's effective.

By giving people like the Westboro Baptist church ammo?

"Gay Agenda Harasses Children Going to Church"
    "Inappropriate Homosexual Showing Disrupts Churchgoers"
    "Gay Men Expose Selves to Church Goers"

See where I'm going with this? "Eye for an Eye" is -always- a terrible idea.

Do Unto Others as you would have them do unto you, after all, or hell, turn the other cheek.

Not only is what you suggest immature and ineffective, but it would flat out make things worse. :?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Those are hilarious and I was thinking of collecting them. I mean, they are just so hateful and completely unashamed of it. It's like looking into the mind of a madman.

I wanted to start a Photoshop thread for Chick Tracts but it could be seen as offensive to bigots, so I never did.

He gives them away in digital form on his website so people can print them out.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Oh god you don't need to photoshop them, they're hilarious on their own.

The one where the girl discovers that apparently, Dungeons and Dragons is run by Satan and the one kid offs himself because his character died is hilarious.
    Also, incredibly inflammatory and not at all reflective of the vast majority of Christians.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    It's proselytyzing. It's also illegal to put stuff in peoples' mailboxes in the US if you're not the USPO.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It's proselytyzing. It's also illegal to put stuff in peoples' mailboxes in the US if you're not the USPO.

:shock:

I put some misdirected mail in my neighbors box yesterday!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

It's a great way to convince people to not be christian. Especially the (very real) tract the zeolots don't like to talk about anymore where the dad repeatedly rapes his daughter (and lets his friend do so) but it's ok in the end and he doesn't have to go to jail because JESUS.

what in the hell? this is the first time I've heard of this. It seems like this would be everyone's goto example for 'insane jack chick stuff'

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sipex wrote: »
    I'm assuming they've been all over the town in that period, not just this street?

Unless this street is on top of a hellmouth or something and these people were keeping it closed with their prayers. In which case, thanks a lot neighbors, for dooming us all.

The church is near that street from what I can tell so it might be the closest non-commercial street to the church.

Or it just might be the only street to yell at them and get it on tape, who knows?

Sipex on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

The FBI are on their way.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    0076_05.gif

Scintillating stuff there, Chick! Top-quality drama. Why would his wife do such a thing to him?!

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »

what in the hell? this is the first time I've heard of this. It seems like this would be everyone's goto example for 'insane jack chick stuff'

He doesn't distribute it or put it on his website anymore (last I checked) but it's not hard to find. I'm not going to try and look it up from work though.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    0076_05.gif

Scintillating stuff there, Chick! Top-quality drama. Why would his wife do such a thing to him?!

Man. Peanut butter.

There's just some times, murder should be legal.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I wish there was an archive of them somewhere that wasn't his website, because they're hilarious, but I don't want to actually give him hits or anything.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    deowolf wrote: »
    0076_05.gif

Man. Peanut butter.

no, you miss the central point of most Chick tracts: regardless of what's illegal, you can do anything you want and get away without consequences as long as you are are really sorry and put your faith in Jesus afterwards.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I don't know, you could do some pretty funny 'shops with Chick tracts I think.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010

Do it
    Do it
    Do it
    Do it
    Do it
    Do it
    Do it
    Do it
    Do it
    Do it
    Do it
    Do it
    Do it
    Do it
    Do it
    Do it
    Do it
    Do it
    Do it
    Do it
    Do it

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    I just googled chick tracts, I feel a lot dumber for it, WTF. Moon God eh o_O

nstf on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    0076_05.gif

Years ago, someone on this forum had a signature with the first panel photoshopped so that he was saying something like "This is a shit sandwich. It is made of ass and poo." I never knew its origin was a Chick tract, and for this knowledge I thank you.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    This is my absolute favorite frame from a Chick tract

0273_10.gif

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    deowolf wrote: »
    [IMG]http://m_05.gif[/IMG]

Man. Peanut butter.

no, you miss the central point of most Chick tracts: regardless of what's illegal, you can do anything you want and get away without consequences as long as you are are really sorry and put your faith in Jesus afterwards.

This is actually a common Christian thing, not just Chick. If you have, in the past, committed sins be they terrible or whatever, if you repent you can still get into heaven, etc etc. People seem to say the above as an attack on Christianity as a whole without taking in the entire idea.

Most places are sure to stress that you have to actually repent though. Saying "jesus is awesome" out loud but feeling no remorse or whatever for your actions doesn't count. And why would it? If you are actually repentant, then you'll be forgiven, because that's what God does. (According to Christianity and whatnot) If you go rob a bank thinking "I have a get out of hell free card" you are incredibly mistaken, and do not understand the concept of repentance.

Not saying that that is what you are doing up there, but just clarifying that bit.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    A extremely gay friend of mine had some Mormons knock on his door to talk about their faith to him so he invited them in, made some tea and sat in the living room with them and put some gay porn on mute on the tv while they where talking to him.

I never though you could get them angry enough to swear but apparently you can!

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    I just googled chick tracts, I feel a lot dumber for it, WTF. Moon God eh o_O

eh, when you get right down to it the Christian god is just an old Storm god who leads his people in Holy War + 3000 years of makeovers.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Hopefully, they'll just send you to white-collar prison. Rather than Federal, pound you in the ass prison.

I meant it's illegal to put anything other than stamped mail into mailboxes. That's why you see so many restaurants putting their menus on the doorknob hangers.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    PrimesghostPrimesghost Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have an interesting story while we're on the subject of door-to-door proselytizing.

A little backstory; I've known my best friend Jon for about 15 years. We met while working together as pizza delivery drivers for Domino's, had a ton of things in common and have been best buds ever since. He's Jewish but not practicing...or observing...or anything really. He's basically only Jewish by virtue of the fact that his mother is constantly giving him shit about it.

So, one day we're hanging out at his apartment playing some N64, probably one of the Rush games, and there's a knock at the door. My friend Jon gets up to go answer it and is greeted by a rather well groomed young man in a tie and a name-tag on his button-down white shirt.

"Have you found The Lord", he asks Jon

Without missing a beat Jon says: "Yeah, he's in my wallet."

Visible confusion flashes across the young man's face, "I beg your pardon?"

"Yeah...", Jon says as he fetches his wallet from his back pocket. He withdraws a dollar and presents it to the young missionary.

"See?", he asks. "He's right here!"

One eyebrow is cocked as the missionary stares at Jon's hand. His eyes go up to Jon's deadly serious face, to the dollar in his hand and then back to his face. A single syllable escapes his lips: "Huh?"

"Ohh, I'm a Jew." My friend replies matter-of-factly.

The young man begins to nod a little and says, "Ohh...". He stares at Jon for another few seconds and then turns without a word and walks back down the stairs and on to the next apartment.

Jon closed the door and returned to his chair with the most self-satisfied smile I've ever seen on his face.

Primesghost on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Disco11 wrote: »
    A extremely gay friend of mine had some Mormons knock on his door to talk about their faith to him so he invited them in, made some tea and sat in the living room with them and put some gay porn on mute on the tv while they where talking to him.

I never though you could get them angry enough to swear but apparently you can!

And while that's amusing, it kinda makes your friend a jerk to a point.

SniperGuy on