As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Laptop feels much slower

autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machineRegistered User regular
My laptop has started to feel SO much slower recently, I have no Idea why!
I remember half a year ago or so it booted to w7 almost instantly, and then I could start programs very fast and all that.
Recently it all feels very slow
The processor is a T5550 @ 1.83 GHZ, but.. CPU-Z says something about a "Core Speed" of 997,4 Mhz even when setting the CPU speed to 100% in the energy settings..
Is this something else or is the CPU clocking down for temperature reasons maybe?
Also, I defragmented my hd and that helped absolutely nothing.. is there anything short of a reinstall I could try to speed the thing op from that side?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
autono-wally, erotibot300 on

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My wife's old laptop actually shipped from the factory at half it's multiplier in the bios, due to heat. Check the bios, see if they've jacked with the multiplier.

Windows 7 doesn't have the same cruft problems older versions of Windows have, so it shouldn't' be a case where the registry is corrupt or anything. When was the last time you defragmented your HDD?

e: Oh, derrr, you said you just defragmented. Have you run something like CCleaner?

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm gonna ask for advice here too, excuse me.

so i moved my pc from Rio de Janeiro to Teresópolis (2 hr ride) and now it's slow. Just cause 2 runs @ 15fps and WoW runs like that too. I have an E8400 C2D @3.3GHz; 4GB 800RAM, dual channel; and a Radeon HD4850. JC2 ran at 60fps and WoW had no ceiling.

I tried reverting to Catalyst 10.4 and back to 10.7 and no difference. The pc also needs to try 3 times before cold booting and posting successfully. But everything seems fine, including RAM, gpu and Cpu temps.

I'm running Win7 64 ultimate.

HALP!

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I ran CCleaner, nothing.. hm!

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm gonna ask for advice here too, excuse me.

so i moved my pc from Rio de Janeiro to Teresópolis (2 hr ride) and now it's slow. Just cause 2 runs @ 15fps and WoW runs like that too. I have an E8400 C2D @3.3GHz; 4GB 800RAM, dual channel; and a Radeon HD4850. JC2 ran at 60fps and WoW had no ceiling.

I tried reverting to Catalyst 10.4 and back to 10.7 and no difference. The pc also needs to try 3 times before cold booting and posting successfully. But everything seems fine, including RAM, gpu and Cpu temps.

I'm running Win7 64 ultimate.

HALP!

Check all your connections. Check that all your cards are seated correctly. Check that your fans and your CPU heatsink are all in place. Moving a PC can sometimes cause things to jiggle loose.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I ran CCleaner, nothing.. hm!

You can use CCleaner to check what is being run at Startup. When you first get your computer there is very little happening at system startup besides Windows booting. As you install more and more software, more and more processes get added to the system startup and it bogs everything down.

I think it's under Utilities, but there should be a Startup tab in CCleaner. Give that a look and see what entries are in there. Odds are there are bunch of useless things that you can disable. Feel free to post a screen cap of the list to get advice on various processes that might be there.

Michael H on
  • Options
    thepotato232thepotato232 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hate to jump on the "Help me fix my computer, O Nerd Superiors" bandwagon, but I've just run into a big problem with my Asus G73JH-A3. After two months of awesome service, the beast has begun to skip and hang terribly on all but the most basic programs. WoW in particular produces an effect as though I was running the game from a mangled CD, and any game more advanced is virtually unplayable. Simple video playback seems unaffected.

I followed a number of guides to clear all of the manufacturer bloatware when I got the computer, and I've checked the background processes enough times to believe that's not the problem. I've run CHKDSK, defrags, CCleaner and SeaTools, all of which give the computer a clean bill of health. File structure, packets, temperature, and all of the usual suspects seem to have been cleared.

Of the top of your heads, what does it seem I've missed?

thepotato232 on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Back everything up and reinstall the OS. That's what I'd do on PCs when they started to feel sluggish.

Esh on