As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC SnW] Swift Death at the Hands of Orcs

nefffffffffffnefffffffffff Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Critical Failures
2222.JPG

These boards are choked with 4e. I propose a game of Swords and Wizardry(SnW), for which I will be the Referee.

If you don't already know, SnW is a free ruleset modeled after the original D&D rules that came out when my dad was in college. A time when character death was swift and unforgiving. When men were men and your rulebooks didn't have page after page of combat abilities. Also miniatures cast in lead. Delicious lead.

In any event, if you have not already, you should download the pdf (it's free, what do you have to lose?) and give the players section a once over to see if it is something that interests you. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Still here? Excellent. I want to form a group of 4-6 level 1 adventurers. We will start with a quick little module that I found on the internet and enjoyed called "The Disappearance of Harold the Hedge Mage." If everyone has already heard of/played this module just tell me I'm being an idiot and I'll go do something else.

If the group works well I would like to keep it going. I don't know if you noticed in the rulebook, but SnW has some pretty cool endgame mechanics that amount to more than just "become demi-god, kill bigger monsters." Don't worry we can cross that bridge when we get to it -- I've got a plan.

Are you STILL interested? Great. Roll up a character (invisible castle, please!) as outlined in the rules. I'd prefer a mostly human group but if you can give me a dwarf with an appropriately metal character bio, or an elf with a sufficiently wussy one, I'll let you have it. I'm still going to be human-biased though.

We will be using the Ascending AC system, so be sure to read about how that works and note your base to hit bonus on your writeup.

Roll your starting gold and buy some equipment, write your bio, and post here. The characters should all already know each other, although you don't need to specify how. (my plan, should this not die the same death that so many PbP games do, is to run an adventure that shows how the group met up. A prequel of sorts.)

Sample character sheet follows:
Krunk the Juiced

lvl 1 Human Fighter

STR:14
INT:10
WIS:11
CON:7
DEX:7
CHA:7

XP Bonus: 5%
Saving Throw: 14
Hit Points: 5
Base to-hit: +0

Starting Gold: 140

Equipment: 10' pole

Spells: none

Bio: herp derp

You should probably take your character more seriously than I took the sample one. Also be sure to link to all your rolls.

THE GAME HAS BEGUN. THIS IS NOW THE OOC THREAD. IF YOU WOULD STILL LIKE TO JOIN OR BE PLACED IN RESERVE, FEEL FREE TO POST A CHARACTER. OTHERWISE, FOLLOW THE GAME HERE.

camo_sig2.png
nefffffffffff on

• Options
    ronrabronrab Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Krunk will have the highest stats of anyone in the group.

ronrab on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I am interested.

WIP Character

STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA in order. (3d6=13, 3d6=13, 3d6=13, 3d6=15, 3d6=13, 3d6=3)

Str 13, Dex 13, Con 13
    Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 3

It seems I have no choice but to be a completely dickish wizard.

+1 Melee to hit and Damage.
    +1 Ranged to hit.
    +1 AC.
    +1 HP.
    +10% EXP (5 from Wis 13, 5 from 13+ Int as Magic User)

Rolling for HP. 1d6-1 as Magic User, +1 from Con.

Hit Points (1d6=2)

2HP
    Saving Throw 15

Starting Gold: 3d6x10

Starting Gold (3d6=10)

100 Gold.

Spending
    Blank Spellbook (25gp)
    Staff (Free)
    Dagger (2gp)
    4 pieces of Chalk (2gp)
    10 Darts (2gp)
    Backpack (5gp)
    Bedroll (2sp)
    3 Bells (3gp)
    2 Signal Whistles (1gp)
    Hooded Lantern (7gp)
    50ft Silk Rope (10gp)
    10 Sheets of Parchment (2gp)
    Ink (1gp)
    Waterskin (1gp)
    8 Dried Rations (8gp)
    Small Steel Mirror (20gp)
    10gp left over (I spend my spare silver on clothing accessories, as I hate tracking change)

Spells Known Roll: 1d4+1
    BBCode
    1d4+1=4

So I need 4 random spells. Rolling a load of d10s and I take the first 4 that aren't duplicates.
    BBCode
    Spells known. Take first 4 that aren't duplicates. (1d10=4, 1d10=9, 1d10=1, 1d10=6, 1d10=4, 1d10=1, 1d10=8, 1d10=9, 1d10=2, 1d10=9)
    Spells 4, 9, 1 and 6.
    Looking at the Magic User Spell List that seems to give me Light, Shield, Charm Person and Protection from Evil.

Final Character
    Yirral Unver - Magic User
    Str 13, Dex 13, Con 13
    Int 15, Wis 13, Cha 3
    AC 11, 2 Hit Points
    Saving Throw 15
    +1 Melee to hit and Damage.
    +1 Ranged to hit.
    +10% EXP (5 from Wis 13, 5 from 13+ Int as Magic User)

Spells
    Light, Shield, Charm Person, Protection from Evil
    1 x Level 1 slot per day.
    Currently Memorised: Charm Person.

Inventory
    Blank Spellbook
    Staff, Dagger, 10 Darts
    4 pieces of Chalk, Backpack, Bedroll, 3 Bells, 2 Signal Whistles, Hooded Lantern, 50ft Silk Rope, 10 Sheets of Parchment, Ink, Waterskin, 8 Dried Rations, Small Steel Mirror, 10gp.

Appearance
    Yirral wears his fair hair long, pushed back behind his ears and just reaching the back of an ill-fitting green robe, lined with a crimson trim and marked with the wear of clothes worn far too often. He is tall and broad shouldered, but this is marred by a slouching posture and soft body from too many meat pies and pitchers of wine.

Manner
    Yirral gives the distinct impression he doesn't care about people. He rarely talks to anyone unless it's a straightforward question and when he does he speaks quickly and nervously. He is completely lacking in ambition or initiative, but doesn't mind taking orders if he thinks they make sense. Although he takes to new tasks quite well, proving competent at a range of things, at his core he lacks self confidence, but masks this with an introspective arrogance and self-superiority that he never quite brings himself to assert on others.

Wants
    Yirral is unsure what exactly he wants to be. Despite studying magic under his master, something he took to very well, he has since lost interest in his studies. But his comfortable lifestyle needs money, so the life of adventure might let him get hold of some so he can get back to doing nothing.

In actuality Yirral does have stronger desires, but doubts himself enough that he doesn't quite want to confront them just yet.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    Avoid SpikesAvoid Spikes Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Great idea.

Cyrus, Stern Human Cleric of the Implacable Foe
    Str 7, Dex 10, Con 9, Int 14, Wis 17, Cha 4
    HP 3, Saving Throw 15
    AC 14

-1 Melee To Hit and -1 Damage
    +5% exp (from Wis)
    +1 additional 1st-level Cleric spell (from Wis) (unclear to me if this means I get 1 at 1st level, v. 0)

Starting Gold: 170
    Current Gold: 19

Equipment: Chain armor (+4), Heavy Mace (1d6)
    Misc. Equipment: Bedroll, backpack, bell, flint & steel, holy symbol (silver), lantern (hooded), mirror (small steel), oil (2 pints), trail rations (10 days), 10 spikes (iron), one 10' pole.

Prepped Spell: Cure light wounds

Quote: "Where did you hear that childish nonsense? 'The gods love and protect us,' fah! Pure stupidity! I'm hear to tell you son, that most of the gods don't care two coppers for you or your soul. And the one that does, the one we call the Implacable Foe, well, he doesn't love you, he doesn't want your offerings, and he's the one you need protecting from! Don't believe me? Fine, we'll see. WE'LL SEE. Now, since you apparently have the gods on your side, YOU can be the one to open up that chest covered in glowing runes....."

Bio: Cyrus is old, and he's spent years preaching that, deep down, the gods really hate our guts. This has left him physically weak and not what you would call a sparkling dinner companion.

Roll Links:
    Rolls for stats in order here.
    Roll for HP here.
    Roll for gold.

Avoid Spikes on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well I'm glad to see that there's some interest in this, although not much. hopefully it will pick up now that we have at least one player. Also, Suga, those stats don't necessarily force you into the magic user class. It might be the best option, but player skill trumps high stats any day in this game.

Is it the random stat selection that people are turned off by? I always liked the idea of random stat generation, because it lends itself to player creativity as opposed to power-gaming. also, I'm not a total dick. if you throw some abysmal stats its not like I won't let you re-roll.

EDIT: ooh another interested player posted while I was writing this. I'll look over your sheet now.

EDIT th 2nd: Spikes your sheet looks good. And yes you do get one spell to start. And for Suga: The rules don't say anything about str affecting encumbrance. Your movement rate decreases incrementally when you carry more than 75 pounds, with a max encumbrance of 300lbs.(for those of you who use the metric system, all the item weights are listed in lbs, so it shouldn't be much of a problem.) A "normal" amount of equipment (probably about as much as you can buy with 100 gold, or spikes' inventory for example) is assumed to weigh 10lbs. coins and gems weigh .1lb each, so your unspent 100 gp weighs about 10lbs.

For instance Cyrus' encumbrance would be 72lbs (10 for misc. equipment, 10 for his mace, 50 for his chain armor, and 2 for his 20gp) which means his movement rate is 12. I can say that I won't make a huge deal out of this, just as long as it stays reasonable.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also, Suga, those stats don't necessarily force you into the magic user class. It might be the best option, but player skill trumps high stats any day in this game.

Is it the random stat selection that people are turned off by? I always liked the idea of random stat generation, because it lends itself to player creativity as opposed to power-gaming. also, I'm not a total dick. if you throw some abysmal stats its not like I won't let you re-roll.
    Oh sure, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't let the stats force me into a class I didn't want. I like going with random roll and seeing what the natural choice would be. In this case I'm glad to give Magic User a shot. Short of a complete dud of a character I'd advise people to just accept what they roll. It's less of a big deal in S&W than D&D 3.5 and 4e.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ok I'm being a complete dummy, but I can't get my head around how many spells I know and can memorise per day. The table under Magic User says 1 level 1 spell, but I don't know if that's how many I know in total or my daily slots.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I think it depends on what you have in your spellbook, which is up to the ref.

Also, this being OD&D, and since we have a total of 5 HP together, we should probably hire a hireling. I've got 20 gp I'm willing to contribute to those efforts, although we may want to wait to see if somebody with more CHA shows up to manager the staff.

Avoid Spikes on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Good thinking. I can always sell some stuff if we need more money, but I'm happy to give my leftover 10gp to the fund. Don't go putting my Cha 3 guy in charge of personnel, though.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    Ok I'm being a complete dummy, but I can't get my head around how many spells I know and can memorise per day. The table under Magic User says 1 level 1 spell, but I don't know if that's how many I know in total or my daily slots.

Yeah I just read over that and realized how poorly written it is too. I found the answer in the quick start guide also published at mythmere games.
    Roll 1d4 and add your Intelligence bonus or penalty, if any. You may roll that many times on the Starting Spells list. (If your result is 0, you can have at least one spell.) Roll a ten-sided dice (d10) to see which spells you know. Reroll any duplicates.

It seems bizarre that this info got left out of the actual rulebook, but there it is. It also doesn't exactly cover what happens when a magic user levels, although having done some research on the internet it appears that the only way to add to your spellbook is to transcribe scrolls or learn from other magic users.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ok, think my guy's done now then.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    looks good.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I tweaked my kit a bit, since this is old school and we'll need a 10' pole and door spikes. If we can get somebody with a double-digit CHA, then we can pick up some henchmen, although we may need a ruling on what that costs.

Maybe we could drum up some more interest with a new thread title? I'd love to see a [D&D ZERO ED.] tag myself. Didn't the Penny Arcade guys just run a 0th Ed.-style adventure? Come on, forumers, represent for the old school.

Avoid Spikes on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    sounds good to me.

EDIT: wait how do I change the thread title?

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HeartfinderHeartfinder Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Throwing in a fighter by the name of:

Tyzen Aen

Stats: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2647845/

STR17/DEX16/CON16/INT14/WIS07/CHA11

Class: Fighter
    Race: Human
    EXP Level: 1
    HP: 9 (6 Base+2 Fighter+1 Con Bonus)
    HP Roll: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2647781/

Saving Throw: 14

EXP Bonus: 5% (13+ STR)

To Hit/Damage +1/+1

Ascending AC 16
    10 Base+4 Chain+1 Shield+1 DEX Bonus

Equipment
    Starting Gold 120GP
    Roll: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2647783/

Chain Mail (+4 AC) 75G/50lb
    Shield (+1 AC) 15G/10lb
    Bastard Sword (Damage 1d8) 20G/10lb
    Grappling Hook 1G
    Rope, Hemp, 50ft 1G
    Bedroll 2SP
    6 Torches 3SP
    Backpack 5G
    Shovel 2G
    Remaing Cash: 5SP
    Weight ~75lb

Appearance: Before you stands a tall, muscular fighter who has been practicing his art in short sorties into local caves, usually vanquishing whatever lays inside with whatever help hired him. His size is befitting a man who would wear such a mustache as him, long and black, but yet no beard, or at least none you can see. He banks on his manliness and dashing good looks to offset whatever insults are thrown his way.

Wants: To be the best, and thus mightest warrior his land has ever known. He respects the people who hire him and he knows that sometimes they are the only reason that he still stands. He'll boast and boast freely, but he'll toss one in for the people who helped him along thw way. He knows this because he is no leader, but well known for his ability to support and fend off whatever comes his way, and thus joins adventures for the sheer challenge of it.

Other notes: He can certainly hire the henchmen for the party, but the other members are going to have to front the cash. Otherwise ready to beatdown whatever nasties await!

Heartfinder on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've always wanted to try something like this. Downloading pdf now.

Zellpher on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    sounds good to me.

Advanced edit the OP; quick method is to double-click in the blue box with the name of the thread on the main CF page.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Hmm. I have no idea, it just sounded like a good idea. Maybe we just start a new thread when we're done with setup and ready to roll?

Anyway, Tyzen is clearly the man to do some hiring. I've got 19 gold left, but could lose some of my kit if we need more. What says the DM on the cost of Fighting Men hirelings? I think there's some info. in the rules, but I'm not sure I understood it.

Avoid Spikes on
  • Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Completed character:

Name: Worten Kilak
    Class:Warrior
    Race: Dwarf
    Exp/Level:0/1
    HP:4
    Saving throw:14
    Xp Bonus:10%

Weapons: Battle axe, 2 Hand axes, Lite Crossbow
    To hit/Damage:+1
    AC:14

STR: 18
    DEX:12
    CON:10
    INT:14
    WIS:13
    CHA:7
    Starting Gold: 110

Inventory: Backpack, Bedroll, 50ft Silk Rope, 5 Iron spikes, Tent, Flask, Torch, 7 Dried rations, Battle axe, 2 Hand axes, Lite crossbow, 20 bolts, Ring armor, shield.

Bio: Many years ago the fortress of Karag Glümm was besieged by a ruthless goblin horde. Though the dwarves fought valiantly but they were unaware that the goblins were working for a dragon by the name of Dimüglahkul, who coveted the vast wealth of the fortress. When the dragon made his appearance the dwarves knew their fate. All but one fell that day. His name was Worten Kilak. Now he wanders the land, searching for the dragon and working for whoever will hire him, so long as the pay is good.

Appearance: Bulkier than your average dwarf. Worten hasn't taken care of his hair or his beard since the fall of Karag, giving him a crazed look. This is worsened by a massive scar over most of his face.

Motivations: Revenge, Drinking, Fighting, Revenge, Death in glorious combat.

Zellpher on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    this is looking excellent so far. I'm really excited about this. I'm going to leave signups open for another day or so, but we have reached the minimum group capacity so this is officially a go.

Make ready.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    This is some of the most fortunate rolling I've ever seen in OD&D chargen! Of course it means we'll all roll terribly in game, so eh.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    OK. just got back from my long stretch of work shifts, and I am getting everything typed up as we speak.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Game Thread is up and can be found HERE

This thread now reserved for OOC.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    OK guys, starting today I'm working six full 8 hour shifts between now and Sunday. I'll try to give you an update tomorrow afternoon, but tonight I'm crashing at my lady's place and won't have any of my books or notes or "nerd stuff" as she so aptly puts it.

Like I said though, update will be tomorrow afternoon.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    still nothing?

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sorry, been a bit distracted the last couple of days. Will make post shortly.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sorry, I'm back now. I had been relying on the "subscribe to the thread" feature to tell me when people were posting, and I didn't get anything, so I figured you were still in your downtime. But no, it seems like the "subscribe" thing just doesn't work, since folks have posted and I never got any notice.

Anyway, I'll just check in manually from now on, so I should be more responsive.

Avoid Spikes on
  • Options
    SnowdownSnowdown Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Any interest in a 5th for this? Only problem is work won't let me d/l the darned book ;)

Would have to d/l it to home PC.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    we could probably fit you in

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Okay, let me see if I can drum up a character tonight. Hopefully I won't be ridiculously busy or tired. Trying to sell a house and move at the moment, so things in the evenings have been hectic for the past few weeks.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Neffffffffffffffffffffffffff, are you using a house ruled thief class, or sticking solely to fighter-man, magic-user, cleric?

Snowdown on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Zacarius Zoul, the Above Average Priest of Battle

Str 14, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 7, Wis 13, Cha 14
    HP 8, Saving Throw 15
    AC 14 (Ring +3, Shield +1)

+1 Melee To Hit and +1 Damage
    +15% exp (from Wis, Primary Stat, and Cha13+)

Starting Gold: 90
    Current Gold: BROKE

Equipment: Ringmail Armor, Shield, Warhammer (1d4+1), Silver Holy Symbol
    Misc. Equipment:Backpack, Bedroll, Candle (x5), Chalk, Hooded Lantern (5pt Oil), Trail Rations (10 day), Waterskin

Prepped Spell: Cure light wounds

Bio: Zacarius is a young, fair haired, chisel jawed northman. The risk of adventure brought him down from his mountain tribe at a young age, and the preachings of the priests of Arjahn, Lord of Battle drew him to the faith. A rowdy man, he revels hard, and battles even harder, risking life and limb often.

Roll Links:
    Rolls for stats in order here.
    Roll for HP here.
    Roll for gold.

Snowdown on
  • Options
    HeartfinderHeartfinder Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Note: I will be unavailable until Monday. Just posting now so no one wonders where i went.

EDIT: It seems that went much faster than anticpiated and back online.

Heartfinder on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Looks good snowdown. I'll send you a PM so we can discuss where to fit you in.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    OK, I've had a crazy work week covering other peoples vacations, but an update is coming tomorrow morning.

nefffffffffff on
    camo_sig2.png