As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jerk-Off, a webcomic

notactualjerknotactualjerk Registered User regular
edited October 2010 in Artist's Corner
Here are some comics of mine. They're for a webcomic I do called "Jerk-Off". I don't know what else there is I can particularly say about 'em, particularly since if they're any good they should really speak for themselves.

I guess I could say that I'll be quite interested to hear what you have to say. That's something. AND it's true!

Snackspiracy
jerk0051.png

Unequal Agendas
jerk0052.png

Working It
jerk0053.png

Mail Model
jerk0054.png

Patronizing Saint
jerk0055.png

French Texan
jerk0056.png

and here's a picture of House while I'm at it.
Blah_Blah_Blah_House_v2_by_notactualjerk.png
(and yeah... i know his arm's too short... or maybe you didn't notice... >_>... I mean... never mind.)

these are comics which I do... Jerk-Off: comics about jerks and whatnot!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
notactualjerk on

• Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm kind of getting a Kris Straub vibe from you, both art-wise and humour-wise. I like it, keep it up and you're bound to get even better.

Spectre-x on
  • notactualjerknotactualjerk Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanks! :D Yeah, from what I've heard of Kris talking about stuff he's drawn influences from stuff similar to what I've drawn influences from, so I always wondered if other people noticed that.

Thanks for your kind words! :D

notactualjerk on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I like these.

I didn't think you had a all-round successful comic until the 4th one, but I like the style you have running through these strips.

earthwormadam on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah some of the jokes are a bit hit and miss, but the expressions are fantastic.

Mustang on
    edited August 2010
    Oh, and I forgot to mention the fantastic name of your comic. It's fantastic.

earthwormadam on
  • ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    These comics are pretty good. I like how you're not using the same visual template over and over anymore.

Also, I was going to say that you should change the comic's title, but given some of your content (the anti-Catholic stuff and whatnot), that title might actually be a good defense against most stuck-up whiners.

Paradise on
    edited August 2010
    Thanks! :D
    And yeah, the name has it's pros and cons but I think it works really well once coupled with the actual comic. This may sound kind of weird but in way it feels kinda classy although in a rude kind of way... here ya go, new word "crassy".

oh! and here's another comic!

Lung Time No See
    jerk0057.png

notactualjerk on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Okay. The second panel of this last one definitely got a chuckle out of me.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If this is a chick I suggest boobies or longer hair, the lack of either makes it pretty androgynous in this type of simplistic artwork. Even if it's based off of your flat-chested short-haired friend, for the sake of making it easier to read I would make a change. If it's supposed to be a dude...that thing hanging around it's neck feels awkward.

rts on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Comedy is hard to 'learn', but the expressions are real nice, and I think you've really got potential. It will take a while to find your comedic sweet spot, so for now I suggest you keep a pen and notepad handy at all times so you can write things down as they come to mind. Later on you can go back and cross out the ones you no longer find funny and edit the ones you think could use some polish. A nice way to hold onto little momentary gems and draw future inspiration from. And I've no complaints about the art; it is cute and expressive.

Muse Among Men on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Comedy is 80% just having it (let's face it, some people just aren't funny) and 20% practice.

You seem to have a tenuous grasp on comedy, which is good, now you just gotta keep practicing. Do what muse said, but also just keep trying to write jokes, humorous situations, pointless arguments, etc. You don't even have to intend to use 90% of it. Just keep doing it. Eventually it will all click and you will be churning out gutbuster after gutbuster.

Also know that, no matter what, you will not get everyone to laugh. Senses of humor are never the same between two people.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sometimes I like the lighting changes, but in others it doesn't make sense. I don't understand why "Unequal Agendas" gets steadily darker, and the second panel in "Working It" looks like a layering mistake (even the text bubbles are darker). When it is contrasting foreground/background I like it, but when everything is dimmed it just makes me want to turn on the lights - e.g. the third panel of Lung Time No See.

Edit: Nice expressions. I didn't say it originally because it's been said several times, but in hindsight that's the kind of thing that is nice even when repeated.

Red Raevyn on
    edited October 2010
    Thanks for your comments everyone! And yeah, i was kinda going crazy with the toning for a bit... just applying it in places because I could... but i like to think I've got it under control now.

But that actually brings me to an issue I'm facing NOW! I'm strongly considering switching to color. I really love black and white styling, but I'd just like to switch things up. I've done stuff with color in the past, but I'm still a bit worried precisely because I know how much time can go into coloring. But here's what I have right now...

jerk0081-1.png

I want to have the coloring be good (obviously) but at the same time not suck up too much time... So, any suggestions? recommendations? How is this level of coloring proficiency treating ya?

Thanks in advance!! :D

notactualjerk on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ChippsChipps Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    They're not all gems, but I chuckled at quite a few of them. The art is utilitarian but still pleasing to look at, bookmarked.

Chipps on
    edited October 2010
    Thanks! :D

also... new color scheme! O_O
    jerk00812.png

notactualjerk on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've said this before in other threads, but... I'm not a big fan of digital colors outside of the CMYK gamut.

NibCrom on
    edited October 2010
    New color scheme is so much fucking better than the original that I skipped reading the first one and didn't realize they were the same comic until after careful consideration.

earthwormadam on
  • FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    the older scheme definitely seemed a little dark to me, and I think the new one is a lot better!

that said, I gotta say i find it kinda oversaturated.

I like the lighter shade/brighter colours, but I think they may be a little too... neon

The second panel in particular i found hard to read/focus on

Fletcher on
    edited October 2010
    jerk0081-2.png

a little less blacklight poster... a little more background elements... which i was a bit hesitant to set a president for since that's even more work and such... but i think it's worth it.

notactualjerk on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MUCH better. The second iteration was blinding and I couldn't keep my eye focused on the text long enough to make it through. One question, why is the second text bubble in panel four dark? It looks okay in panel 3, but the one in four is bugging me.

nakirush on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    3rd colour scheme is definately the best, although I think the skin tones are a bit off.

Personal gripe from me is the lack of noses. I know it's your style, but it always bugs me when I try and read anything by Straub. I am probably alone in this.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Shariku OnikageShariku Onikage Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    Aw, i was liking the black and white.

But i'm still liking everything else. Though i am hating the fact that it makes my humble attempt at a webcomic vomit inducing by comparison.

Shariku Onikage on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah I prefer the black and whites to crazy purples.

Mustang on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Purple?

Fuck I hate being color blind.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets