As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[!] Metal Gear Solid Mega-thread.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I never thought any metal gear had a good story, where by good I'm holding it to a certain intellectual standard of quality. Very few games acheive this standard, in my eyes.

Emotionally I liked all of them and do get emotional satisfaction from all of them. I don't confuse emotions with "good".

(Indeed, most of the games I have loved to death have had pretty badly put together stories, or in some cases were based on nonsensical plot points. I don't let that get in my way.)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I never thought any metal gear had a good story, where by good I'm holding it to a certain intellectual standard of quality. Very few games acheive this standard, in my eyes.

Emotionally I liked all of them and do get emotional satisfaction from all of them. I don't confuse emotions with "good".

(Indeed, most of the games I have loved to death have had pretty badly put together stories, or in some cases were based on nonsensical plot points. I don't let that get in my way.)

I'm not saying that the plot is objectively good in any way, but I think that the characters are, generally, pretty good. I like the way that they all have their backstories, their own motivations and goals, and they behave believably within their character, and I like the relations between different characters. I'm not saying the actual storyline or the written dialogue is good, but I think a story with a large cast of believable, fleshed-out characters is always going to be at least moderately good.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I'm not saying that the plot is objectively good in any way, but I think that the characters are, generally, pretty good. I like the way that they all have their backstories, their own motivations and goals, and they behave believably within their character, and I like the relations between different characters. I'm not saying the actual storyline or the written dialogue is good, but I think a story with a large cast of believable, fleshed-out characters is always going to be at least moderately good.

I...I wouldn't say any of the characters are believable. I do not believe any of these characters could ever exist. They're very much unbelievable characters.
    But I think when you say believable, you mean they are "internally consistent". That if it was possible for a person to be able to do those things, think in those ways and have the experiences they have had, that they would act the way they do.
    In that I would agree.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I...I wouldn't say any of the characters are believable. I do not believe any of these characters could ever exist. They're very much unbelievable characters.
    But I think when you say believable, you mean they are "internally consistent". That if it was possible for a person to be able to do those things, think in those ways and have the experiences they have had, that they would act the way they do.
    In that I would agree.

Yeah, I'm not saying that I totally know a guy who is just like Psycho Mantis or The Pain, I pretty much mean what you said about internally consistent. Psycho Mantis does things that fit his background and his character, he's not so much an 'evil boss with psychic powers' as an actual, believable person. Sniper Wolf is probably the best example, the B&B corps are the most hamfisted examples, but all characters have motives and goals and allegiances beyond 'boss #3, works for the baddies'.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

In that I would agree.

Yeah, I'm not saying that I totally know a guy who is just like Psycho Mantis or The Pain, I pretty much mean what you said about internally consistent. Psycho Mantis does things that fit his background and his character, he's not so much an 'evil boss with psychic powers' as an actual, believable person. Sniper Wolf is probably the best example, the B&B corps are the most hamfisted examples, but all characters have motives and goals and allegiances beyond 'boss #3, works for the baddies'.

Yeah. That's why I like the stories on an emotional level.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    None of the series may have a particularly deep or insightful story in and of itself, but I always found it kind of clever by virtue of its architecture. Especially MGS2.

It also always leans towards being ridiculous in the most amusing way, which helps.

Monger on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    And no, knocking a man unconscious by crushing his junk never gets old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ykihKR2gM

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    First I thought 'why did he pat his junk down? No ones going to hide a weapon of any significance there?'. Then I thought 'got to replay this game and actually use CQC'.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Even better when you use it on female soldiers... D:

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Okay, so, according to a bit of searching, I've done the last hunt mission, and should be on the final mission. However...
    I need to have a complete ZEKE. I don't have a complete ZEKE. I need, according to my game, 2 walk unit parts, and 1 head unit part. I always nail these parts on the other mechs, and take their boards. I never seem to actually get the parts though. Do you need to swipe loads of cards for these parts to unlock? In comparison, I have like 2 complete power and leg units, and nearly a third of each.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    whatever you DONT shoot, you keep. whatever you DO shoot, breaks.

if you want parts(head units, walk units, rail guns), shoot the A.I. pod.

if you want A.I. boards, DONT shoot the pod.

its like monster hunter, but reversed.

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I liked MGS4 a lot, but it's maybe my 4th favorite of the entire series. (Peace Walker included)

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    oh yea, MGS2 came in the mail!
    OH MY GOD

SO MANY VR MISSIONS

I am having SO MUCH FUN OVER HERE YOU GUYS

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Wait until you hit MGS1 Grenade 5.

Kiss your sanity goodbye.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    fucking hell you werent kidding

why all the grenade ones got to be so hard ;__;

but the HF blade OWNS

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    whatever you DONT shoot, you keep. whatever you DO shoot, breaks.

if you want parts(head units, walk units, rail guns), shoot the A.I. pod.

if you want A.I. boards, DONT shoot the pod.

its like monster hunter, but reversed.

So what are the boards for?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    after the last story boss, you can fight zeke in mock battles.
    at first he's dumb as a bag of rocks, but the more boards you get and install, the smarter he gets.

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ahhhh metal gear solid, one of my very first favorite video game franchises.

I can see where people would find fault with MGS 4. But, but, it has so much good it does more than make up for it. It simply makes the bad stuff very good.

Yeah, I'm a fanboy, but MGS4 just hits so many of the right notes with me. All that being said, the first MGS is still the most memorable.

For the entirety of the series its basically like this:

MGS- most memorable.

MGS2- Most replays to get the story (and extra fun).

MGS3- Most... 'debated'. I didn't think I'd like it being set in the past with no Solid Snake, but boy was I wrong.

MGS4- Basically a combo of the above, good and bad. But it all makes it greater.

Portable Ops is great fun and for some reason I enjoy the knife use here more than other games. However, the story push is just not as strong. I have yet to pick up Peace Walker as I have been off/on work but the demo makes it seem like one of the best of the series.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    BarksBarks __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    MGS4 is beyond reproach in the way that if you honestly hate it, it seems absurd to love or even really like any other game ever made. It's fine to dislike it while respecting what it accomplished and understanding why it is a big deal, but to just flat out hate it and say that everything it was doing is bad is just in awful taste.

I have similar opinions with games like Shadow of the Colossus, Deus Ex, Half-Life 2, Silent Hill 2, and some others. Liking or not liking a game is personal, but realizing the accomplishment and craft put into these games goes beyond the personal enjoyment factor.

edit: Though beyond all this I still can't understand seriously disliking anything I mentioned here.

And for my money the best MGS in the series is 3, if for nothing else the absolutely stunning ending.

Barks on
    madmensignaturePA.jpg
  • Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Barks wrote: »

I have similar opinions with games like Shadow of the Colossus, Deus Ex, Half-Life 2, Silent Hill 2, and some others. Liking or not liking a game is personal, but realizing the accomplishment and craft put into these games goes beyond the personal enjoyment factor.

This is generally how I feel about those games; the ones that you just feel are different from the rest of the herd. And they stand out for the better.

On another note, wasn't Kojima supposed to reveal a surprise? If he did, was it MGS related?

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Finally got the last mission available. Had to look up on a guide where to find the fucker, since the games just like 'we don't know where he is, go look somewhere'.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So, I finished this. I actually S ranked the final boss. And fuck, I wish 'Heavens Divide' was on iTunes. That song is awesome.

Have to say, I enjoyed it more than any other Metal Gear game I've played. Which isn't saying much, since I've only played MGS, MGS 4, Portable ops and this. I really hope they do a HD collection with Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater for PS3.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    So, I finished this. I actually S ranked the final boss. And fuck, I wish 'Heavens Divide' was on iTunes. That song is awesome.

Have to say, I enjoyed it more than any other Metal Gear game I've played. Which isn't saying much, since I've only played MGS, MGS 4, Portable ops and this. I really hope they do a HD collection with Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater for PS3.
    Heh. You didn't finish it. You finished the Story missions, which is the easy part. There are MANY more Extra Ops that you'll have to complete in order to claim that you've finished the game. There's an Infinite Bandana and Stealth Camo to get, and lots of other fun toys. There's an Outer Heaven base to max out. There's a whole story line to figure out from a certain character's audio diaries, which you can only obtain through the Extra Ops AI boss battles.

There's plenty of content ahead of you. Of course, I personally consider anything after Chapter 4 to be completely optional (starting with the Find Zadornov missions), but that's me.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You ain't done until you get bored of crushing Tigrex with high explosives and large caliber armaments.

And lemme tell you, that kind of payback never ceases to entertain.

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    When I say I've 'finished' a game, I mean I've done the story. If I revisit some of the extra stuff, cool, but a game is 'finished' when I've done the story.

That said, I think I might hook my PS2 up and hunt down MGS2 Substance and MGS3 Subsistence. One of those comes with the 2 original Metal Gear games, right? Might be time to finally play the rest of the series.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I was totally playing MGS4 just now.

It's even more Metal Gear than I expected.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    I was totally playing MGS4 just now.

It's even more Metal Gear than I expected.

At the risk of coming out with a Mongerism.

It's the Metal Gearest.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    okay, I'm really considering grabbing MGS 2 and 3, because I really want to play the whole series. But man, PS2 on HDTV... Do PS2's support component/composite cables at all? If so, do they look better using them on a HDTV?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    okay, I'm really considering grabbing MGS 2 and 3, because I really want to play the whole series. But man, PS2 on HDTV... Do PS2's support component/composite cables at all? If so, do they look better using them on a HDTV?
    PS2s support component cable outputs, so you can get 480p resolutions, but support for them varies from game to game. I think the Metal Gear series on the PS2 as a whole are 480i only.
    You ain't done until you get bored of crushing Tigrex with high explosives and large caliber armaments.

I think I'm the only person in the world who thinks Tigrex is the easiest monster in Peace Walker. I mean, all he ever does is charge you, which is avoidable with a roll. It is just roll, turn, shoot, run, repeat. Then again, I've got a hojillion hours of Monster Hunter backing me up, so...

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    PS2 on an HDTV is going to look chunky no matter what you do. Backwards-compatible PS3s only help so much, too. Best bet, in my opinion, is an SDTV that accepts a component connection. That way you still have the best colors possible, and the image looks about as good as it can.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    You say that like its easy. I haven't seen an SDTV in Australia, in a retail store or a second hand store, for years.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Even in 480i, you'll probably notice a pretty good visual bump from using component cables. And PS3 component cables will work with a PS2, just so you know.

I've played plenty of PS2 games on my HDTV, including those. They looked fine.

Monger on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You say that like its easy. I haven't seen an SDTV in Australia, in a retail store or a second hand store, for years.

Yeah it definitely wouldn't be easy. I had such a tv, but sold it a few years ago. It wasn't worth it to me to keep it around. And it'd be ridiculous to buy a tv just for that.

Going with what you have, yeah, a component cable, a PS2, and an HDTV are your best bet.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Okay, if I manage to find Substance tonight, I'll try and grab a component cable. I believe one of our big electronic stores sells a 3 in one S-Video, Component and Composite set for PS2/3, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

I think I'm the only person in the world who thinks Tigrex is the easiest monster in Peace Walker. I mean, all he ever does is charge you, which is avoidable with a roll. It is just roll, turn, shoot, run, repeat. Then again, I've got a hojillion hours of Monster Hunter backing me up, so...

He's beyond easy. Once you have a decent rocket launcher, you can stagger him with every shot. It's not even a challenge at that point, more like a mercy killing.

It doesn't ever get old though, watching him eat explosions. :P

Elderlycrawfish on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    so I just plowed through the second half of MGS2 finally

started at 7:30

ended like half an hour ago(ADDENDUM: this was posted at like 4:30)

WOO I'M GONNA GO LAY DOWN NOW

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have all the games now except for Portable Ops, which can be had for a song on the PSN.

I'm curious if it will be more interesting to play through them all by release date, or in chronological order.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The first time through I would do it by release date.

I've been thinking of going through a chronological order run through for a while now though.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I've played them all except for Peace Walker, Portable Ops, and Metal Gear 2.

It would be so much easier if my PS3 were backwards compatible though.

langfor6 on