As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mortal Kombat HD Kollection

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you just spam up, when you finally hit the ground you'll do his fatality. The trick is the game needs to get the second "up" command while your on the ground.

EDIT: You have an original MK machine?

You are one of the coolest people I know. :D

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If you just spam up, when you finally hit the ground you'll do his fatality. The trick is the game needs to get the second "up" command while your on the ground.

EDIT: You have an original MK machine?

You are one of the coolest people I know. :D

I have 2 cabinets. One houses a PC, the other houses a jamma harness. I have an MK1 and an MK2 PCB.

EDIT: And yeah, all that needs to be done is that the second up needs to be on the ground. You can jump in, hit up while still in the air, and time it so you hit the second up while landing, but I prefer to just use a standing high punch to keep him on the ground.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Sorry for the poor quality, I filmed it on my iphone:

Without blocking

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just how confirmed is this? This seriously seems far too good to be true to me. I mean the time/money to hire and green screen all new actors, create new (not terrible) costumes, and somewhat balance the game? I guess I realize it's still probably not that bad compared to redrawing all the Street Fighter 2 sprites in high def but it still seems too amazing to be actually happening.

Is it just that one website saying this is happening or has someone from Warner/Boon & Co confirmed this?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Still a rumor at this point.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Heh, I just realized...

I have Deadly Alliance on Gamecube
    I have Deception on Xbox
    I have Armageddon on Wii
    and I have MK vs DC on Xbox 360.

Plus MK 1-3 and Trilogy on PC and UMK3 on Xbox Live Arcade.

Missing MK4 though.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Heh, I just realized...

I have Deadly Alliance on Gamecube
    I have Deception on Xbox
    I have Armageddon on Wii
    and I have MK vs DC on Xbox 360.

Plus MK 1-3 and Trilogy on PC and UMK3 on Xbox Live Arcade.

Missing MK4 though.

If you have to get one version of MK4, get the dreamcast version.

It's basically Ultimate MK4.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I have no Dreamcast. Plus isn't MK4 the worst one? (Aside from Special Forces)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

the worst? I dunno, but it's sure not anywhere near the best.

Grab MKGold and a DC for like $10 duder. And MKT on the PSX. Complete the collection.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Grab MKGold and a DC for like $10 duder. And MKT on the PSX. Complete the collection.

I already got Trilogy on PC. :P

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I already got Trilogy on PC. :P

ohshit

damn my eyes

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    TSR, why aren't you wearing pants in your reflection in that video D:

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    TSR, why aren't you wearing pants in your reflection in that video D:

Because I'm working

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I liked MK4... it was actually beat-able for me. :P

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Isn't there a thing in MK3 where it gets impossibly hard after a few rounds, and in order to make it easier, you needed to put in another credit?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    MK4 is so not the worst. I would say that honor belongs to MK3. Crap selection of characters (NO SCORPION??? F THAT), horrible fighting engine, the cheapest-assed AI in history, and god-awful straight up lazy fatalities.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So much of the finishers in MK3 were just so plain fucking stupid, like they got too full of themselves and had a love affair with their (ever-more ridiculous) "-alities". It ended up making the game looking like a juvenile episode of South Park or something.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    MK4 suffered from an extremly poor graphics engine. Even stuff that SHOULD be cool looks like trash.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    MK4 is so not the worst. I would say that honor belongs to MK3. Crap selection of characters (NO SCORPION??? F THAT), horrible fighting engine, the cheapest-assed AI in history, and god-awful straight up lazy fatalities.

the worst AI example in UMK3 was easily jade's bullshit. Fuck that shit so hard, the combo she did where she ran through your projectile was literally impossible to pull off as a human.

Luckily I played as Lui Kang in UMK3 which meant I was an up-close fighter who didn't rely on projectiles so she would fall easily to me. But if you were playing as, like, Sub Zero or someone... fucking forget it.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

the worst AI example in UMK3 was easily jade's bullshit. Fuck that shit so hard, the combo she did where she ran through your projectile was literally impossible to pull off as a human.

Luckily I played as Lui Kang in UMK3 which meant I was an up-close fighter who didn't rely on projectiles so she would fall easily to me. But if you were playing as, like, Sub Zero or someone... fucking forget it.

The AI is pretty bad in all the 2D MK games anyway.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Agreed. I've only ever beaten 1 and 4 without any hair-pulling level of difficulty.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The really sad part is that I played MK 1-3 on my PC.. With a keyboard.

I actually managed to beat both MK1 and MK2 with every character with that method. No way in shit could I beat MK3 with every character though. I think Cyrax was the only one I was successful with, and that's because I could spam his net on Shao Khan.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I used to routinely beat MK3 and UMK3 in the arcade with 1 credit, and I am by no means a great fighting game player. I just played it a shitload.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »

The MK3/UMK3/MKT series are the only ones that are straight up no fun to play because it is such absurd bullshit the computer opponents pull. The other MKs could be beaten with a little pattern recognition and baiting the AI... only thing I ever really had trouble with was Kintaro in MK2. I only ever beat that asshole by sheer luck. After him, Khan is a pushover.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010

The MK3/UMK3/MKT series are the only ones that are straight up no fun to play because it is such absurd bullshit the computer opponents pull. The other MKs could be beaten with a little pattern recognition and baiting the AI... only thing I ever really had trouble with was Kintaro in MK2. I only ever beat that asshole by sheer luck. After him, Khan is a pushover.
    I actually got pretty good at beating kintaro.. I just needed to be good a guessing what he was going to do next and have a counter ready, or just be ready to get the hell out of the way.

Took me awhile to get good enough to beat him regularly though. Jump-kick cheese was my friend.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Guys, do you know what the best Mortal Kombat game was?

Pong Kombat

Though I suppose technically it wasn't a Mortal Kombat game.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mortal Kombat 4 cannot be anywhere near the worst because it has this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsvfP5BQxaw

This alone puts it high in the running for Game of the Year 2010

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Haha. I never get tired of seeing that.

Kris on
  • Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh holy shit I am speechless.

I recall I saw MK4 in person only 1 time, at a crappy theater in the next town over. So that ending is news to me :)

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LingxorLingxor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    It would be nice if there was a move list on the character select screen kinda like the super arts from Street Fighter 3.

I think this would make the game a lot more accessible for people not as familiar with the games especially since the move inputs aren't nearly as universal as the SF series...

Lingxor on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lingxor wrote: »
    It would be nice if there was a move list on the character select screen kinda like the super arts from Street Fighter 3.

I think this would make the game a lot more accessible for people not as familiar with the games especially since the move inputs aren't nearly as universal as the SF series...

The move inputs became the universal fireball, dragon punch, whatever motions once the series hit 3D.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I like Cage's ending, though I can't remember what the joke was behind everyone turning on him...

And funny that while she lives through her own ending, she still dies in Jax's. The other guy, I can understand, but...

I do love this one, though I can't remember why Sub-zero took up the mask/attire of the Lin Kuei again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poo3Rux1zg0

..."arright."

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Why does Sub zero sound like arnie? :lol:

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Why does Sub zero sound like arnie? :lol:

Because the voice acting in MK4 is 20 kinds of hilarious.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mortal Kombat 4 had probably the worst endings ever. Even the games that just go "You won. Game over" and throw you back to the title screen are better than that shit.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also, looking at more MK4 endings.

Liu kang didn't want to tap kitana's ass? Wow.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I like how the blade flew out in the end.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Mortal Kombat 4 had probably the worst endings ever. Even the games that just go "You won. Game over" and throw you back to the title screen are better than that shit.

Your watching them wrong. :P

C2B on
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Lingxor wrote: »

The move inputs became the universal fireball, dragon punch, whatever motions once the series hit 3D.

I remember it going all tekken on us

Tommatt on