As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Let's Play] Crysis: Warhead - Big momma jamma (S6, final set)

Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden.Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
How I remembered how to love killing Commies or...

crysis.jpg

All the sets will go right here so viewers don't have to hunt through the thread for them. Warhead is at the top because those are the more recent videos:

Crysis: Warhead

Set 1 - Kiwi birds! CRUSH! Set 2 - No. You get to live. Set 3 - I bet it's gigantic, isn't it? Set 4 - Heigh-ho, off to work I go Set 5 - JASON STATHAM ANGRY Set 6 - Big momma jamma
Crysis:
Set 1 - Impact!? Set 2 - MAXIMUM TURTLE Set 3 - SNEAK MODE... not found Set 4 - That's a big deal for me... Set 5 - I've got guy all over me Set 6 - A "team" effort Set 7 - How to sneak. In a tank. Set 8 - THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE Set 9 - Yuck, alien breath Set 10 - I totally knew you weren't dead Set 11 - Go to hell, palm tree Set 12 - Shut the hatch!

Overview:
Crysis was released by Crytek studios back in 2007. Although it garnered favorable reviews, it had a pretty big problem: the hardware to run the game back then just barely existed. We're talking about the kind of crazy crap where people had three video cards running on $2000+ systems to play the game at high settings. Thankfully, technology has this wonderful tendence to get better. Nowadays, any semi-modern system shouldn't have much trouble running the game.

The synopsis of the game is this: some funky thing is happening in the near future on some funky island nobody has ever heard of. Those nasty North Koreans are in charge of the funkiness, so the USA deploys a super-duper special ops team to go fix things. One of the wonderful benefits of the setting is the gorgeous jungle scenery; don't blame me if your head explodes from the lack of HD brown. You also get to shoot Commies just like back in the good old days, but now the Commies speak moon language instead of Komrad language.

Your team also gets these special suits, but I'll go over those in just a little bit along with the suit changes I've made.

Crysis was created using the Crytek 2 engine and it's a pretty powerful engine. Big maps, awesome lighting, fantastic physics, and so on. One thing the game does very well is make you actually feel like you're slogging your way around the island rather than just running through little selected slivers. The game also turns into one helluva ride which, combined with the gorgeous scenery, make for some impressively memorable moments.

This Let's Play:
If you've seen any of my other LPs, you know I edit pretty heavily to keep things moving. Well, not this time. Crysis has much more focus than the STALKER games so I won't need to worry about cutting out twenty minutes of looting and trading and other redundant things. I'll edit a tiny bit, but there won't be much need for fadeaways so don't expect to seem them.

Crysis is actually so bright and colorful that I've decided to take little extra effort and record in full-size 1920x1080 resolution. This means the Youtube videos will be in full-size proper HD-quality; if your connection can handle HD videos, I'd recommend watching the LP with the 1080 HD option.

I've also already played Crysis once already, but that was over a year ago so things are, at best, vaguely familiar. Oh, and I'm playing at the toughest difficulty (Delta) not only because I like a challenge, but because Delta difficulty means all the KPA troops actually speak Korean and that's a pretty neat touch. However, I've never played Crysis: Warhead, so when I get to that LP I'll be doing it blind.
The suit
While the armor concept is neat, the default power drain values also make the armor nearly useless. Well, maybe not useless, but they could've been tweaked to be a lot more fun. On Delta difficulty, the Armor mode can't absorb anything more than a couple of shots, Cloak drains stupidly fast, firing a handful of shots will completely drain your energy in Strength mode, and you can sprint maybe fifty feet with Speed mode. I changed these values both to make the game more fun for me to play and more fun for you to watch.

Strength:
Strength.jpg
Really need an edge to earn the gold in the KPA Soldier Hurl event? The Strength ability is the performance enhancer you're looking for. Not only does Strength boost your throwing power, it also boosts your jumping, punching, and accuracy. I left the drain for jumping and punching alone but boosted my melee power and reduced the shooting drain. Now I can fire more than a half-dozen shots before being almost completely drained and punching things is generally more entertaining.
Speed:
Speed.jpg
Dial in this sucker when you want a quick getaway or a quick strike. Just switching to the ability gives you a sizeable boost to your regular movement speed without any drain, but sprinting drains energy like crazy and makes you feel like the Roadrunner. I slightly upped the speed bonus, but mostly dropped the Speed drain so you can actually sprint somewhere useful. Oh, you also punch faster, but would you want to punch faster when Strength lets you punch harder?
Armor:
Armor.jpg
The least dramatic but possibly the most useful mode. Flip on this mode and damage gets transferred to the suit rather than your squishy body. On Delta difficulty, this sucker is a BIG lifesaver; a couple of hits can put you down in less than a second. With Armor, you can survive for maybe 2-3 extra seconds. It may not seem like much, but it's enough time to drop prone or find some cover. I also think Armor mode ups your health regen rate, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway, I modified the Armor values so that it can take more than two hits although it still doesn't last long.
Cloak:
Cloak1.jpg

Not THAT kind of cloak, doofus...
Cloak2.jpg

...THIS kind
Cloak really is a lot like how it works for a Predator. You aren't fully invisible but as long nobody is actively looking for you, you will almost never be seen. However, alert a bunch of soldiers and they will fire wildly at you if you get too close even while Cloaked. The soldiers won't be nearly as accurate, but without Armor mode activated you won't be able to take more than a couple of hits anyway. I turned down the Cloak drain because frankly, having to recharge my energy either every twenty feet (running) or 30 seconds (crouching) gets REALLY old. I still can't stay invisible forever, but now I can at least use the thing for more than a split-second at a time.

Ninja Snarl P on

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't have a page for my LPs or anything (other than Youtube), so here are the links to my other LPs for anyone so inclined:

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl

STALKER: Clear Sky

STALKER: Call of Pripyat

Ninja Snarl P on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Second post, for awesome! Can't wait to watch this LP unfold, will watch the first set momentarily.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aaah, fresh thread smell. So I was just minutes ago putting together the OP for this LP and decided what the hell, I may as just get the thread up and running. I was wanting to play more of the game, then remembered I should probably get the thread up and the initial set going first.

This first set covers the basics of the setting and gameplay along with getting into the action pretty quick. I'm using a new encoding setting due to the HD video, but as far as I know the only problem right this second is that I had the mike sensitivity up too high and my voice is too loud as a result. I'll fix that for the next set, but everything else should be A-OK.

Set 1 - Impact!?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Remember, Youtube allows 15 minute videos now.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Spartan 0092Spartan 0092 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just played through this to get ready for your LP, I think you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

Also I'm very excited that my new computer can handle streaming HD video, this will be the prettiest LP for me yet.

EDIT: Do you mean Call of Duty 4? MW2 didnt come out in 2007 as far as I know.

EDIT2: Whats that ring sound heard around 6:54 in video 2? It sounds really familiar...

Spartan 0092 on
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.
  • EtherealWalrusEtherealWalrus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Been looking forward to this for a while now. Looking forward to seeing all the things I did differently.

EtherealWalrus on
  • npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    npc.EXE on
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I know Youtube supposedly allows 15-minute videos now, but one of the downsides of using Youtube is them being inexplicably fickle. I'd rather keep everything at the ten-minute mark so I don't have to worry about re-editing an entire LP down to 10-minute pieces and then re-uploading the whole thing. You folks probably don't know this, but joshofalltrades (the guy who did the I Wanna Be The Guy LP) lost literally his entire LP with explanation, sent them a letter, and got the whole thing back with zero notification.

And yes, I meant CoD4: Modern Warfare. I just called it Modern Warfare rather than CoD4 for some reason. As for that trilling beep that pops up a couple of times in the set, that's the "incoming message" sound you get while listening to the Virgil shorts from ODST. I use it on my phone for messages and didn't realize the mike would pick it up.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Something tells me you'll probably change your title to MAXIMUM SPEED before this is all over.

Such a good suit power.

Also, hey, you are playing through a game I've already played through for once. I can watch now. Sweet!

Drake on
  • AzadIsCoolAzadIsCool Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I loved this game, but I never got to beat it. I got to the final boss, and suddenly my computer started crashing every time I tried to beat it. I was originally playing on all Ultra High with good FPS, but even if I turned down all of the settings and the resolution, it would inexplicably crash. I tried downloading the 64-bit fix to no avail. Anyway I look forward to seeing how that last level was supposed to go.

AzadIsCool on
    leftaq.jpgcenterv.jpgrightz.jpg
  • Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I love this game so very much, very very much. Because of two things: the jungle and the nanosuit, one of the best FPS mechanic ever. I just finished it in hard with only the autosaves and just started warhead also in hard. Yeah, every power is very useful.

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
    edited August 2010
    And yes, I meant CoD4: Modern Warfare. I just called it Modern Warfare rather than CoD4 for some reason. As for that trilling beep that pops up a couple of times in the set, that's the "incoming message" sound you get while listening to the Virgil shorts from ODST. I use it on my phone for messages and didn't realize the mike would pick it up.

Thats it! I really want to set that as my noise for messages on MSN now. Also, great set, cant wait to see how you deal with some of the later game scenarios.

Spartan 0092 on
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but cannot be taken away unless it is surrendered.
  • hackswordhacksword WinnipegRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    AzadIsCool wrote: »
    I loved this game, but I never got to beat it. I got to the final boss, and suddenly my computer started crashing every time I tried to beat it. I was originally playing on all Ultra High with good FPS, but even if I turned down all of the settings and the resolution, it would inexplicably crash. I tried downloading the 64-bit fix to no avail. Anyway I look forward to seeing how that last level was supposed to go.

I had the same problem. Launching the game in DirectX 9 mode fixed it.

hacksword on
    edited August 2010
    Hm... I'll have to try that, thanks.

AzadIsCool on
    edited August 2010
    I have to request that you kill at least one enemy by throwing a turtle at them.

EtherealWalrus on
    edited August 2010
    I have to request that you kill at least one enemy by throwing a turtle at them.

Mario Kart murder request is duly noted. I wonder if I could kill a guy with a kiwi bird?

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited August 2010
    You can at least knockdown/stun people with them, but I'd imagine you'd need a lot of birds or one near-dead Commie.

EtherealWalrus on
    edited August 2010
    Hey, if something is worth doing, it's worth doing right. The real trick will just be hitting the guys; it's pretty hard to accurately trajectorize an irregular projectile like a kiwi. I would imagine the turtles are easier to to get a hit with since they're so much larger, but practice will make perfect in both cases.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Have you checked that your computer can handle recording the last section of the game? Unless it's a brand spanking new beastie of course. That's why I had to stop mine because it just couldn't handle it. Was dropping to 15fps no matter what I did.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited August 2010
    hacksword wrote: »

Thanks so much, I finally got to beat the game. Spoiler below.
    Pretty underwhelming though, I was expecting a bigger explosion. And I'm still confused as to how Prophet is still alive. Didn't you see him die at the beginning of the game, or am I thinking of someone else? Oh well, onward to Warhead

E: I think he'll be fine. At worst he might have to tone down the settings for the final boss.

AzadIsCool on
    edited August 2010
    Have you checked that your computer can handle recording the last section of the game? Unless it's a brand spanking new beastie of course. That's why I had to stop mine because it just couldn't handle it. Was dropping to 15fps no matter what I did.

I should be pretty much fine. I originally played the game using an ATI 512 MB 4850 video card and got up through the end sequence with a plenty playable framerate, though I didn't have the settings as high as I do now.

I'm now using a considerably better ATI 1GB 5850 and I've got my CPU overclocked. Even while recording, the game will actually run better than 40 FPS save for the fact that I've got the recording locked at 40 FPS. Strangely enough, the thing which really kills the framerate for me is when the suits get dissolved, but that's only in cutscenes and only last a few a seconds. I actually get higher, more consistent framerates while recording Crysis than I did when recording any of the STALKER games.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • hackswordhacksword WinnipegRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Glad I could help!
    Pretty underwhelming though, I was expecting a bigger explosion. And I'm still confused as to how Prophet is still alive. Didn't you see him die at the beginning of the game, or am I thinking of someone else? Oh well, onward to Warhead
    No that was Aztec. Prophet is the commander of your squad, who gets kidnapped by the aliens and meets up with you later once the island gets frosty. His nanosuit is malfunctioning, so you have to race from warm place to warm place so his suit can recharge. Remember that part?

hacksword on
  • GreenishGreenish Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I remember back in '07 I was able to play Crysis on High at 1280 x 1024 with 2x AA on an OC'd P4 3.4 (to 3.6), 2gb RAM, and a Radeon x1950xtx 512mb and I'd hover around 20 fps. Its really not the monster hardware humiliater it once was. I think its because it became such a target for its ability to push systems to the brink by every hardware maker and review site out there. There are still folks that use Crysis as a benchmark. So natually, on every new card in the past 3 years, Crysis runs like a spotted assed ape.

Greenish on
    edited August 2010
    Glad I could help!
    No that was Aztec. Prophet is the commander of your squad, who gets kidnapped by the aliens and meets up with you later once the island gets frosty. His nanosuit is malfunctioning, so you have to race from warm place to warm place so his suit can recharge. Remember that part?
    Ooooh yeah, it's been a while since I played that part.

Awesome, I guess saving him is what's going to happen in Crysis Warhead.

AzadIsCool on
    edited August 2010
    Actually Crysis Warhead is played from the perspective of Physcho parallel to the events of the first game.

Spartan 0092 on
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

Oh my god, thank you so much! I only played this game for the first time two weeks ago and never got around to finishing it for the above reason.

This is such a great game. I played it immediately after replaying CoD4 and it made me go, "wait, how could I possibly have enjoyed such a linear shooter?". But I loathe that part in the spaceship. Is Crysis 2 going to be like the last one-third or the first two-thirds?

Muddy Water on
    edited August 2010
    Actually Crysis Warhead is played from the perspective of Physcho parallel to the events of the first game.

Yeah I just started it, and that seems to be the case.
    So does Prophet ever get saved?

AzadIsCool on
    edited August 2010

Yeah I just started it, and that seems to be the case.
    So does Prophet ever get saved?
    We won't know until Crysis 2

EtherealWalrus on
    edited August 2010
    Regarding Crysis 2 (spoilers for those who know nothing about the first game):
    it takes place some time after the first two games and now humanity is fighting the alien forces. Whether you're fighting the same aliens from the alien or reinforcements from space, I don't know. I hope it's just the aliens from the island because that would at least be a winnable fight.

Yeah, it sounds a lot like Halo, but from what I've seen of Crysis 2, the two franchises look and play pretty differently. The armor has also been changed to work with less manual selection (such as being able to turn Armor mode to "automatic").

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited August 2010
    So I guess we may never know what became of Prophet and co.

Is the main character Nomad or Psycho? Or are we getting another character?

AzadIsCool on
  • KarmondKarmond Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ooooh yeah, it's been a while since I played that part.

Awesome, I guess saving him is what's going to happen in Crysis Warhead.
    About Warhead:
    It's not a sequel, it's a side game. It's set during the events of Crysis, but from Psycho's perspective

edit: bah didn't realise there was a second page and this was answered. :(

Karmond on
    edited August 2010
    So I guess we may never know what became of Prophet and co.

Is the main character Nomad or Psycho? Or are we getting another character?
    His codename is Alcatraz, but we don't know if its one of Raptor team under a different name.

EtherealWalrus on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm really enjoying the LP so far - especially the parts which consist of, "So, here's how this works, and ... Oh, shit! They saw me!" :)

Elvenshae on
    edited August 2010
    Far Cry had this problem too.

Uncloak 100 m away behind foliage? OH SHIT THEY SAW YOU.

Shoot a guy in the head with your silenced pistol? DAMMIT SOME GUY 80 FEET AWAY HEARD YOU AND INSTANTLY KNEW WHERE YOU WERE AND STARTED SHOOTING.

Do anything near a helicopter? YOU FUCKED UP THEY SAW YOU.

AzadIsCool on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh yay, a pretty Crysis LP! You probably already know all these, but I found them very helpful when I played.
    I've never tried on delta, so maybe it no longer applies, but usually binoculars would highlight dropped weapons to help you find them easier in the brush.

I think armor ups your health regen, but it definitely has faster energy regen compared to idling in the other modes, which was extremely useful with cloak's default values.

There's a hotkey for both armor mode and weapon mod mode which are easier than bringing up the radial. I think it's 4 for armor and V (?) for modding. The armor hotkey was especially helpful since it's so easy to tap right before you headshot someone from cloak, and avoid wasting all your energy.

My favorite bit of Crysis (think it was Warhead) was one long section of KPA-controlled territory where I could carry a wheelbarrow to every checkpoint, hide in the tall grass, then wreck dudes hurtling it at them. Cloak, slip around to where the wheelbarrow flew into the grass on the other side, rinse, repeat.

I'd leave one guy alive at each checkpoint, to tell his kids someday.

Also stop killing birds you monster. :cry:

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
    edited August 2010
    If history has taught is anything, it is that turtles are great friends when it comes to murder and little tiny birds and deceitful monsters which will abandon you to die at the merest whim. Today, we get to see this classic lesson played out with tragic results. Oh yeah, and I missed the day at Special Ops School where they covered the major differences between a sophisticated mobile command post and a crappy tropical shack on a hill. I have a note from my doctor detailing how I was sick that day and it shouldn't count against me.

Also, I did adjust the voiceover volume but I'm still not happy with it; part of the problem is that the sound from Crysis is kind of quiet. I'll keep tweaking it, though.

Set 2 - MAXIMUM TURTLE
    Also stop killing birds you monster. :cry:

I don't know if you saw, but those bastards got me killed something like four times. Hell, they got me killed while I was killing them for killing me. Little flightless devil creatures...

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited August 2010
    Its good to know someone else has a fondness for virtual turtle-assisted murder and the death of tiny, cheeping chickenbirds.

EtherealWalrus on
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't know if you saw, but those bastards got me killed something like four times. Hell, they got me killed while I was killing them for killing me. Little flightless devil creatures...

So my message came too late. :D

Fantastic moment, tossing that grenade right in front of yourself and staring at it for a second as comprehension dawned. Lot of funny little moments in this set.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
    edited August 2010
    There's a trick to that: make sure you alternate the function of the "G" button between useful actions and lethal ones.

And what confused me is the stupid thing landed perfectly still. It didn't register as a grenade for a second because grenades are always rolling around or flying through the air if they're dangerous. Plus, I was expected to drop a pistol, so I was busy sorting out shapes when I remembered "G" is for "grenade" and not "throw down a gun like in the three STALKER games I spent most of the last nine months playing".

I have to say, the grenades pack a nice punch after playing the STALKER games for so long. STALKER grenades are far more realistic (they actually throw out proper shrapnel and that's what does the real damage), but the Crysis grenades are like a handheld mortar shell. One grenade killed two guys stepping out of the vehicle, killed the third guy in the turret, moved the entire vehicle about fifteen feet, and set the thing on fire. It genuinely worries me when the KPA start throwing random grenades because I'm pretty sure they'll be an instant kill outside of Armor mode.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Well honestly when it came to the vehicles going kablooie, you did roll the 'nades beneath them, therefore right under the gas tank.

Mm... toasty.

Anyway, went most of the way through the set thinking "Man... he's not even thrown stuff into a building/took a building down with his hands yet!" And then you do. Now you need to find a situation where you can begin combat like that, was one of my most fun experiences. Come crashing through into the building, grab and throw a poor sap into the next wall to take him and it out, and then kicking out the last bit of foundation to make it all crumble down onto myself and whoever is still inside.

Good times.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil