As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

a

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So after selling me cowpats and other crap yesterday, today's VC is offering me--kitty litter and horse manure. Also a birthday cake, but I don't think I want to eat a cake made by a poop vendor.

Uh, does the birthday cake do anything?

Ah well, guess I'll spin the VC slot machine again tomorrow. C'mon, silver platter and ornachrium.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Buy the birthday cake; it is needed for a DLC quest. Plus, just to fill out the item index.

Darian on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So after selling me cowpats and other crap yesterday, today's VC is offering me--kitty litter and horse manure. Also a birthday cake, but I don't think I want to eat a cake made by a poop vendor.

Uh, does the birthday cake do anything?

Ah well, guess I'll spin the VC slot machine again tomorrow. C'mon, silver platter and ornachrium.

I was slightly amused when I noticed that Cowpats are three times as expensive as Horse Manure.

And I doubt that Orichalcum will show up; that's definitely an "end game" type of material (available for the low, low price of 15 mini-medals).

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    For added amusement, try to "use" horse manure or a cowpat. It gave me a hearty laugh when I did.

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
    edited August 2010
    Sweet, just found some Metal Slime boots. I think I'll hold on to these for now; this map has a* potential Metal Slime chest on the third floor (it had 3000 gp when I opened it on this first run), which is easy farming.

*Well... since I found the boots it obviously has two. At least. But the other known one is fourteen floors down.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • DorkmanDorkman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there a list somewhere where all recipes can be found?

Sure it is simple enough to just check the interwebs, but when your sneaking in an hour of gameplay whilst the lady friend snores away...it's quite undoable!

Dorkman on
    Poke Black 2 FC: 0390 6923 7158
    edited August 2010
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Sweet, just found some Metal Slime boots. I think I'll hold on to these for now; this map has a* potential Metal Slime chest on the third floor (it had 3000 gp when I opened it on this first run), which is easy farming.

*Well... since I found the boots it obviously has two. At least. But the other known one is fourteen floors down.

AND a Metal Slime Spear?! :mrgreen:

(Which is sadly worse than the Poker I found a while ago, but still.)

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Am I the only one that reads "METAL SLIME" as if Snake were saying it?
    "Metal Slime has nukes? Oh, no..."

Houn on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Metaru Surime?

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • klompryklompry Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    are the depressing shoes metal slime shoes? i found them in a grotto chest.

klompry on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    klompry wrote: »
    are the depressing shoes metal slime shoes? i found them in a grotto chest.

No.

jothki on
    edited August 2010
    They can be upgraded into elevating/pixie/tricksy shoes, though.

Darian on
    edited August 2010
    Darian wrote: »
    They can be upgraded into elevating/pixie/tricksy shoes, though.

Thank you. Can you find metal slime shoes in a ruins S Rank chest though?

klompry on
    edited August 2010
    Metal slime sollerets show up in A rank chests with the rest of the metal slime gear.

Darian on
  • AhiMahiAhiMahi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You can easliy upgrade them to Metal King Slime boots... assuming you have couple of Orichalcum in your bag. I got 2 pair of Metal Slime boots in few days and thought they are somewhat rare drop so I looked it up on the web and they are listed as 1% chance from A rank chest.

So far I only have 2 piece of Metal armor, boots and gloves.

Edit: Pixie boots can be purchased with 20(I think) mini medals from cap'n

AhiMahi on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nobody should ever alchemize their Elevating Shoes to something else until they're done revocating, it's the only item in the game that increases the amount of XP you receive in battle (5%).

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I found two metal slime shields and a metal slime armor a couple days ago. Then I dropped my DS, it turned itself off, and I lost everything.

...D:

The metal king shield is really damn good, too.

Billmaan on
    edited August 2010
    The game autosaves when you enter canvas mode or go to the DQVC. Clearly, you should do these things more often!

Darian on
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So for the pre grotto slime people I think I've found the best grinding spot (mild plot spoiler)
    Gitter Palace has a room with a mp/hp restore circle.
    If you abuse the hell out of the high MP spells and abilities like Kaswoosh or Ball Toss you can easily clear 2-4k exp per min per character. I set all my NPCs to the most aggressive tactic to make it even faster.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Eh....liquid metal slime farming is still faster for me.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nobody should ever alchemize their Elevating Shoes to something else until they're done revocating, it's the only item in the game that increases the amount of XP you receive in battle (5%).
    Caveat: It's okay to alchemize them when you've killed so many liquid metal slimes that you have more than 4 depressing shoes that you've subsequently converted into elevating shoes. I have something like 30 pairs of depressing shoes from all of the liquid metals that I've killed.

Also, liquid metal slimes (in Slime Hill or Bowhole) are definitely faster than Gittingham Palace (I grinded there too, for a while). But if you do the same thing all the time, it's quite mindnumbing, no matter where you are. It's a good thing to switch locations up, to keep your sanity.

Well, Metal Slime Spears have the Metal Slash property built-in (1 to 2 points of damage per hit against Metal Slimes), which makes Multi-Thrust a mean slime killing machine. I prefer to use it rather than Thunder Thrust when there's only a single slime left, actually.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • MeiteronMeiteron Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    After 40+ hours of post-game and about 50 grottos I finally found a map with Metal King Slimes.

I got 10 levels on everyone just exploring the 4 levels where they spawned fully. I also came out with a bunch of nifty stuff; while there's no equipment I know there's two rank A chests and a rank B at the very least assuming i didn't miss any.

Meiteron on
  • IncognitoEsqIncognitoEsq TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Is there any reason to have a Mage over a Sage post-game? My current set-up is Luminary (MC, leveling it), Ranger, Mage, Priest, and I just got myself wiped out because Baramos decided to one-shot my Priest and Zing decided it didn't want to work until he picked the rest of my party off one by one, and I can't help but think that having Kazing could have prevented the whole incident, but I don't know how awful losing the buffing would be.

IncognitoEsq on
    edited August 2010
    Post Game, I just roll with 3 fighter types (Warrior, Gladiator, Paladin, or Ranger) and a Multi Healer (Priest or Sage, and I'm not really picky). Not sure why you'd really need a Mage (or any direct damage spammer) at all. By Post Game, you should have Gritty Ditty, which works more efficiently than Oomph or Double Up, and can be used by anyone who is holding the book. I typically put the book on one of the fighter types, since losing a single turn on a single character isn't a big deal. Even then, I rarely buff at all during grotto bosses due to Disruptive Wave. Maybe a double Kabuff on some of the tougher ones.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Slime Hill is the most ineffective leveling spot ever. There, I said it.

I rarely can find and catch LMS on the map, and then it's pointless to even have more than 2 LMS in the fight because they flee. I'd rather have the consistency of Bowhole's single LMS where I know I'll see one spawn within ~5 minutes, though usually less than that.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My sage can, with twocus pocus and Channel Anger, actually match the damage output of my fighters. Kazing is way better than gambling with Zing.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
    edited August 2010

I rarely can find and catch LMS on the map, and then it's pointless to even have more than 2 LMS in the fight because they flee. I'd rather have the consistency of Bowhole's single LMS where I know I'll see one spawn within ~5 minutes, though usually less than that.

So what you're telling me is that you aren't going into the cave every lap to reset all the spawns.

You were probably just unlucky for a few runs. At both the Bowhole and Slime Hill, I get an LMS encounter every 5 minutes...except at Slime Hill, I get 5 at a time. And no, it's not pointless, I frequently kill all of them using Hatchet Man. Please tell me you're not still on Metal Slash or the multi-hit attacks?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited August 2010
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Well, Metal Slime Spears have the Metal Slash property built-in (1 to 2 points of damage per hit against Metal Slimes), which makes Multi-Thrust a mean slime killing machine. I prefer to use it rather than Thunder Thrust when there's only a single slime left, actually.

Yeah, I sort of noticed that with my Metal Slime Sword when it would occasionally do 3 damage via Metal Slash. But good to know that it applies to the Spear as well.

Teriferin wrote: »
    My sage can, with twocus pocus and Channel Anger, actually match the damage output of my fighters. Kazing is way better than gambling with Zing.

My problem with the Sage/Mage as an offensive weapon is that elemental resistances can just shaft you randomly. Granted, you sometimes can run into that with physical damage too depending on the weapon you have, but the only offensive spells Sages have (other than Magic Burst) are the Zam and Boom families; Mages get what, Frizz and Crack (I haven't used Mages much)? Although I will say that Kafrizzle might be my favorite spell animation in the game: "Here, catch this slow-moving sun that I'm aiming right at your head."

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

So what you're telling me is that you aren't going into the cave every lap to reset all the spawns.

You were probably just unlucky for a few runs. At both the Bowhole and Slime Hill, I get an LMS encounter every 5 minutes...except at Slime Hill, I get 5 at a time. And no, it's not pointless, I frequently kill all of them using Hatchet Man. Please tell me you're not still on Metal Slash or the multi-hit attacks?

Does that even work? Going into the cave I mean. I usually just lap around but it takes so much time sometimes.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    edited August 2010
    So you guys are really bugging me cause you guys have metal slime stuff. ive played 160 hours now.

So i read that you go to a chest Quicksave then open and retry. And there in rank A chests? 1%, but will rank S chests have a better chance? and does it change for what Type of environment.

klompry on
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So you guys are really bugging me cause you guys have metal slime stuff. ive played 160 hours now.

At 160 hours you should have access to every single Metal Slime spot, so...

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Pureauthor wrote: »

At 160 hours you should have access to every single Metal Slime spot, so...
    He's talking about the metal slime equipment.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010

Nope. Got my MC with Hatchet Man, my second character with Thunder Thrust, my tank is currently working on Hatchet Man as well, (she started out thief, then went warrior for 100 shield, paladin for 100 virtue, and just finished up her Courage path for the other resistance/HP boosts). My primary caster hasn't really worked on weapon skills much, so she isn't really useful for metal farming.

If I were going to stay at Slime Hill, you're suggesting to start from the front of the cave and run a lap (clockwise for example) through the trees, letting whatever spawns spawn, and if I make it back to the front of the cave without any LMS, go inside, come out, and repeat?

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

edited August 2010
    Does that even work? Going into the cave I mean. I usually just lap around but it takes so much time sometimes.

Yes. It resets all the enemies on the world map and makes sure new ones will spawn.

If you just run laps, the land mass isn't big enough to ensure that everything despawns just from being far enough away. If a King Slime hops into the center and just stays there for several minutes, that's one less possible spawn point.

Also, when coming out of the cave fresh, you will probably be able to see most of the spawns actually happening, and you'll learn what it looks like when a LMS drops out of the sky. This is important because they are almost invisible when in the trees. If you do it enough you will also learn what to look for even in the forest - you should be able to barely see one of their floating bubbles moving around.
    If I were going to stay at Slime Hill, you're suggesting to start from the front of the cave and run a lap (clockwise for example) through the trees, letting whatever spawns spawn, and if I make it back to the front of the cave without any LMS, go inside, come out, and repeat?

Yeah. I go a little left/straight down from the cave, something will spawn in the open grassy area to the south. Then follow the bottom edge to the right, something will spawn above you in the area where trees meet grass. Keep going right against the cliff edge and usually something will spawn in the woods above you. Go up near the north wall and run left through the trees, something will usually spawn along there, and if not it will be in the grass in front of the cave. Then go into and out of the cave and repeat.

I can't guarantee that this will make a huge difference but I feel like it's pretty easy to level there, which is not what you've experienced, so hopefully it will help.

UncleSporky on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Slime hill sucks until you have 4 people with hatchet man/thunder thrust, and gets better and better as you get more agi

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Goddammit Sellma, quit trying to offer me various species of poop and just gimme a silver platter already

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Why do enemies always drop treasure chests in the fights that I bother to steal things from?

Oh, you tried to steal these Razor Claws twenty times and got one. Here's another for no reason!

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
    edited August 2010
    Also, when coming out of the cave fresh, you will probably be able to see most of the spawns actually happening, and you'll learn what it looks like when a LMS drops out of the sky. This is important because they are almost invisible when in the trees. If you do it enough you will also learn what to look for even in the forest - you should be able to barely see one of their floating bubbles moving around.
    Actually, I just run through the bushes anyway, through places that I know are spawn points. Liquid Metal Slimes are well-concealed, so if I hit a random encounter that I wasn't expecting, chances are it is a liquid metal slime. *grin* Occasionally, I run into a regular metal slime on accident, but they give decent XP on their own (certainly more than a typical end-story encounter).
    Teriferin My sage can, with twocus pocus and Channel Anger, actually match the damage output of my fighters. Kazing is way better than gambling with Zing.
    Then the boss casts Disruptive Wave, and you start over, wasting two more actions to be on par with the fighters. Kazing is definitely a bonus, but let's face it. You aren't bringing the sage as a damage powerhouse. If you were doing that, then you'd bring a party of 1 tank and 3 sages. I've done this, and the damage is less than spectacular against grotto bosses, and doesn't kill any faster than a whole group just casting Disco Stew (which everyone can do anyway).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited August 2010
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    the damage is less than spectacular against grotto bosses, and doesn't kill any faster than a whole group just casting Disco Stew (which everyone can do anyway).

Disco Stew is an amazingly overpowered move whose only drawback is its lengthy animation (oh, and it doesn't hit metals, but hey). Does it inflict damage based on style? Because that would be hilarious.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • PerytonPeryton Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So let's say that a cohort of mine is going to be at PAX and perhaps carry my DS around to canvas for people in this game. What all needs to be done to get this to work assuming I've never done this before? I could really use some Masayuki's Map fun times.

I vaguely remember reading that every 4-5 people you get added you have to leave the inn and re-enter to reset the count or something?

Thanks much!

Peryton on