As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Prints, drawings, and comics

123457»

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Excellent, what kind of binding did you use?

MagicToaster on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    they asked for 300, we managed to get 274 made, and had about 70 left over after the wedding.

just saddlestitched. the books were 5" x 7.25," two staples: one on manhunter's head the other on his briefs. there was an 8th page that was a listing like a traditional program. I'll take some pics of one of the printed copies at some point in time and post em.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited June 2010
    What kind of stapler do you use for doing your saddle stitch? I have a flat long stapler, but it's a pain in the butt to line it up with the spine. I saw one that holds the folded paper at an angle as it droops down, I dunno if it's any good tough.

MagicToaster on
    edited June 2010
    I use a flat, long. It has a sliding guard that you push the paper up against. It's a little tricky, but not too bad.

s0174708_sc7?$sku$

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited June 2010
    It's similar to the one I have. I'm dying for some feed back on this type:

X1634029Ad.jpg

It's expensive and I'm afraid to get it out of fear of it not being such an improvement.

MagicToaster on
    edited June 2010
    yeah, 86 bucks is a little stout. there are some reviews on amazon for it.

Looking at it, it doesn't look like it'd be much easier. What I hated most about the one I have is that the bottom sheets can slip about a 1/16" of an inch up under the guard if you're not careful, which is a bitch.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wow nice Manon thats a kickass finished product.

earthwormadam on
    edited June 2010
    thanks. My only complaints are that I couldn't get the scanner to even pick up most of the blues in the cover painting (that was totally a cloud-filled afternoon sky for example), so even with my best corrections, the colors were way off on that.

Also, I locked my thumb in my car door a week before the wedding, and as much as I tried, There's still a noticeable difference in quality between what I did rushed with an injured thumb (utensils at first held between middle and ring finger, and later as my thumb healed some by my three fingers, resting on the area between thumb and fingers). Such a pain in the ass that was.

Anyways, I matted and framed the painting for the cover as a wedding present. I need to take some photos of that see if I can get the colors to show up more accurately in them.

and I've started using a brushtip pen to some success. I've got a short comic I'm working on now with it that I'm somewhat pleased with so far.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I locked my thumb in my car door

*slams the car door on his thumb*

"Auugh! Aaah, no!"

*locks the car door*

"Sweet Jesus!"

Paradise on
    edited June 2010
    damn near.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Forgot to ask what brush pen you're using. I've tried several and only liked the Pentel Pocket.

Guy Bell on
    edited June 2010
    I'm using a prismacolor premier. I'm not a big fan of it because the ink isn't dark at all, it's just what I had. I had a Faber Castell before that I liked more that I don't have anymore.

What makes the Pentel Pocket so rad? That thing's 13 bucks, and even though there are refill cartridges, I've found that with my brush pens the nib starts to misshapen and wear out well before the pen's out of ink.

Also, what India Ink do you use? I've been using Dowler-Rowney and I find it too thick. I love how black it is, and I like how it seems to rest on top of my paper as opposed to be absorbed by it. The problem I'm having though is that brushes won't hold much of it at all and I'm having to redip after practically every stroke and clean my brush (from the remaining ink higher in the bristles drying into a glob) after every dozen strokes or so. I don't know if it's because of the brand or if it's because the ink I have is roughly ten years old.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited June 2010
    I tried a lot of different brushes and ink and this is whats working for me:

Raphael sable brushes 8404
    FW ink for brush work and Speedball Super Black for everything else
    Pro White

The Pentel pocket brush is the best because it keeps it's shape, brushes really black, and is waterproof. Just make sure you get the pocket brush version. It's still not as good as a real brush but good in a pinch.

Just thin your ink with a few drops of water. Or just let go of that 10 year bottle of ink.

Guy Bell on
    edited June 2010
    acrylic painting of my friend and batman for his bday.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Great to see the finished comic, good work dude.

I use a Pentel Pocket brush, they are awesome. Sometimes nothing beats a decent brush and actual ink but nonetheless, the portability and quality of line you get from them is impressive.

Grenn on
    edited June 2010
    Here's the start of a 5-pager I've been working on. The raw inks for the first page and the colors for the first panel:

based on this script that was an entry in a cbr contest a couple of years back.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Y'know Manon, I think you'd be better served working on a bigger page.
    Your inks are really cramped, like you're struggling to get the detail in.

Mustang on
    edited June 2010
    Manon,
    I would make your panel borders thinner and use a straight edge. Also, are you you scanning in grayscale? I t looks like you are scanning in B/W and making the edges harsh. Either that or you are adjusting the contrast too much after scanning.

Guy Bell on
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I'm pushing the levels and then thresholding to get straight black or white. Hell, I've already got two of these pages inked. I kinda dig the wiggly borders, like Crumb or Laird with the early turtles comics. Thinner might be better though. I can see what you mean with working too small.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited June 2010
    What size are your originals? Strathmore makes a pre-cut comic book size now in 300 series. I found it last week.

Guy Bell on
    edited June 2010
    just on an 7.5 x 10.75 or something, 150% of the print size intended for 5" x 7.25" only because it's what I was using for the programs.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited June 2010
    Your black spotting is really good. That's the hardest part. Makes the overall page look bold.
    Why am I awake?

Guy Bell on
    edited June 2010
    whaddaya mean by spotting? cause I found that when I colored, I changed a lot of the large black areas to colored shadows... should I change those back?

and I dunno why you're up, but I'm up because I slept until 5 yesterday afternoon.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited June 2010
    I mean where you place your blacks. It makes the page look balanced.
    There is no way I can get out of going to work today. I've gone over countless scenarios in my head but my absence would not go unnoticed.

Guy Bell on
    edited June 2010
    ah... work. the life of an adult. a life I should rejoin one day soon.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • ThinkjunkThinkjunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really like that acrylic painting. That would be a neat gift to get.

Thinkjunk on
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I'm pushing the levels and then thresholding to get straight black or white. Hell, I've already got two of these pages inked. I kinda dig the wiggly borders, like Crumb or Laird with the early turtles comics. Thinner might be better though. I can see what you mean with working too small.

I've noticed this with your work and figurered it was a stylistic choice (which you just kinda confirmed) BUT personally I think there's something ever-so-slightly artificial looking about it when you use threshold and with a little work, I think you could get a much cleaner scan while still retaining the character of actual organic variations in the ink line.

My process: With scanned inks, I usually adjust Brightness/Contrast in small increments and once I'm happy that I've got my blacks opaque enough without degrading the line too much, I then use Select Colour Range: black (with a tolerance of 101), then invert the selection, and then hit delete to remove everything apart from the lineart which I now have on a nice transparent layer.

This may or may not be of much use to you, but I thought I'd share in case you fancy experimenting with the results of a different process! :arrow:

Grenn on
    edited June 2010
    thanks, duder. I'll give that a shot with some of the inks.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited August 2010
    scoobydoodlefinal.gif

For a commission. To be painted 4-foot wide in a kid's bedroom. I plan on controlling all the line-width once I get it painted. This I just printed out on a transparency to blow up using an overhead projector.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    as long as you'll be controlling the line widths, that looks pretty good
    I think Scooby might look more like Scooby if you put his eyes closer together

Tam on
    edited October 2010
    Whelp, here it is.

r8iic3.jpg

dpesmw.jpg

Also, Friday I leave Mississippi for Korea to teach some ESL for a year.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Looks great! I like the simulated poster effect you got going on. Makes it very interesting to look at. The kid better like it! :)

Edit: Have fun in Korea!

NibCrom on
    edited October 2010
    Awesome stuff. I love the little pin falling to the floor.

Good luck in Korea - my brother in law taught there for about 3 years.

Grenn on
  • harrykharryk Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That is fantastic. Is that your head on one of the bats there?

harryk on
    edited October 2010
    It is.
    2cnb8u9.jpg

This was done for my friend's kid. My friend's mom (the kid's grandma) commissioned it. My friend's wife hates me. HATES me to no end. I figured she'd love having a picture of my face painted in her kid's room.

botp:
    Whelp, here it is.

r8iic3.jpg

dpesmw.jpg

Also, Friday I leave Mississippi for Korea to teach some ESL for a year.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    hahahahahaha, now that is rock n roll

Tam on
    edited October 2010
    Total awesome. 8-)

Grenn on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    that's brilliant!

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • pineappleherbpineappleherb Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    haaaahahah i dig it

pineappleherb on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    manon you are not allowed to leave america

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg