As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Take out those goddamn 88s soldier (FoW thread)((OP less terrible))

124»

• Options
    It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Currently working on my Late War Germans, armored mechanised company from Fortress Europe. I'm almost done with the HQ and I have a platoon of armored panzer grenadier incoming. Still need something to get to the 600 points. Was thinking about Stugs for something like this:

- Company HQ (Panzerschreck team, Panzerfaust)
    - Panzergrenadier Platoon (3 squads, Panzerfaust, Anti-tank Halftrack)
    - Assault Gun Platoon (2 Stug G or IV)

A bit light on the anti-tank but I think with some careful play it might be ok. I've been told armored mechanised infantry is probably not the best army to start with due to the extra points I have to pay for transports but I can always field them without transports as Grenadiers and just add more stuff.

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm gonna pick up the Early War French Tank force at some point here. $200 dang.
    It's not the actual building of a list, I can do that fine. The real problem is lack of understanding. I don't really comprehend what all the various guns, tanks and mans do except in very general terms. There are like 8 different half track varied for pete's sake! It's the variety that confuses me. I'm glad I got a boxed army because then I know that all the stuff is the RIGHT STUFF, rather than worrying about different models of different things.

Also I have no idea what a balanced army looks like, so I have no idea how to build a force that functions, let alone be effective.

Still, I'm sure I'll figure it out in the next little while.

If you link what you got I can help you. For the most part in FoW you have:

Infantry
    Elite infantry
    Mechanized infantry (in halftracks)
    Tank assault infantry
    Light tanks (good for flanking)
    Medium tanks (battle line)
    Heavy tanks (line crushers)
    Tank hunters
    Recon (fast jeeps and stuff)
    Artillery (mobile and immobile)
    Weapons platoons (mortars, mgs)
    Mobile guns (57mm, some PAKs)
    Airplanes

I think that is everything. If you're playing a tank company, you always always always want arty support and some infantry.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    TalonZahnTalonZahn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Planes are pretty hit or miss. They're cool if you want them for some fluff reason, but usually don't impact the game much.

However, it's always a good idea to pack some AA in the list.

Personally I like some Quad 2cm Armored Half-track action. That way, if you don't bring planes for me to shoot down, I can use it to rape your infantry. :twisted:

TalonZahn on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    They're also extremely expensive ($$$ wise) unless you find off-brand ones of the correct scale and paintjob.

AA guns are almost always useful to have for sure.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yea, the BF Airplanes are costly.

Best to go find some 144th scale planes elsewhere.

TalonZahn on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That's my plan. That stuff's kind of ridiculous. Seems odd to need the correct scale when the physical size of the airplane doesn't even matter.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Many people just use 1/100 planes and they still look fine.

There are so many model makers you can get stuff from. Often the quality is better also.

It pays to shop around, of course anyone who plays with toy soldiers already knows this. :winky:

TalonZahn on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I tought you didn't need to use models for airplanes. Don't they just swoop in, fire a lot and go away on the same turn?

It Burns on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, but you do have to measure for them and the models do matter somewhat

I mean I guess you could go without models, but it is part of the game and hobby

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    mugginns wrote: »

I mean I guess you could go without models, but it is part of the game and hobby

Man now I want some brits so I can field spitfires!

It Burns on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    mugginns wrote: »

I thought you just measured from the base on the planets? I could be wrong though

SJ on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Alright, I got 3 M3 75mm GMCs coming in and then my 2k mid war Rangers will be done:
    Company HQ
    Darby
    2 full Ranger companies with mortars
    1 full ranger company without mortars
    Full Sherman Platoon
    Chemical Mortar Platoon
    105 battery
    75mm GMC Platoon with AA .50s

That should be 2k on the dot

SJ on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Quick question, if I have two different platoons with mortars, can they fire together as a single bombardment? Also, do I roll to hit stuff under the template once per bombardment, or once per team participating in the bombardment.

It Burns on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    They can't unless they have a special rule somewhere that says otherwise. I'm not aware of any dealing with mortars but I wouldn't be surprised if the British had something like that. Also, you roll to hit once per bombardment, not once per gun team.

SJ on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I got my Army today!

Box was smaller than I expected, but also heavier!

There are many small mans whom I can't tell the difference between D:.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Usually there is a small guide to what mans go with each other and in what numbers at the start of every army book, and if you look at the platoon diagrams you can tell what goes into each unit. You just need to look at what weapon they are using.

Command teams are 3 mans on a small base, 1 commander (they have peaked caps in your case), 1 NCO, 1 Rifle/SMG/MG/Panzerfaust dude.

Infantry teams are at least 4 in a medium base. Rifle teams, are all equipped with rifles. Rifle/MG teams have one MG for every two teams. MG teams have one MG for every team. SMG and assault rifle teams are all equipped with said weapon.

It Burns on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Had a really good day of killing Nazis last Friday. Got a 2k midwar game in against some FJ's who I trounced in a Cauldron mission (I defended). Then did a late-war 2v2 with 2.5k per dude. My partner let me borrow some extra stuff so I could play the FSSF from Dogs and Devils, and he played 3rd ID from the same book. Gratuitous amounts of smoke allowed most of our infantry to advanced unmolested while my FSSF guys removed mines/razor wire during the advanced. Then I got to butcher a buncha Nazis in combat, which was awesome. Had an angry Canadian lumberjack finish off a Tiger platoon by jumping in and butchering the crew of one of them with his axe, fuck yeah.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I've been looking around for a way to buy a german platoon of sorts equipped with pretty much just rifles, no MGs. Can't find anything. Am I missing a specific blister or boxed set? Do I really need to buy extra mans and just use the rifle troopers?

Also, after recieving a few gifts I now have enough to field at least 600 points to get a few games in. I'll be going with Grenadiers from the Fortress Europe book.

Company HQ - Anti-tank section, 2x Panzerfaust
    Grenadier Platoon - 3 Squads, 1x Panzerfaust
    Grenadier Platoon - 3 Squads, 1x Panzerfaust
    Grenadier AA Platoon - 3 AA sections (2cm FlaK38)*
    Heavy Tank Platoon - 1 Tiger E
    *Will be adding trucks to tow them as soon as I have it all painted.

That's about 715 points for everything I have. Right now I'll be busy getting it table-ready, once I'm ready to expand upon it to 1000 points I'm thinking about more anti-tank which is currently lacking and maybe some artillery. I was thinking about Panzer IVs or PaK40s for anti-tank, and a mortar platoon for arty.

Looking good? Anything I overlooked?

It Burns on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Is there a vassal mod for this? Having trouble finding one.

It Burns on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I played 2 games of FoW last night and had a lot of fun! I took my SS Panzercompanie and my friend took his Desert Rats. we ended up playing about 950 points as that was the closest we could get to 1k without going over.

I had 2 Panzer IVs in my command platoon, a 4 strong Panzer Platoon and a 3 squad Gepanzerte Panzergreandier Platoon while he took 2 Command Cromwells, 2 Combat platoons each with 3 Cromwells and a Firefly as well as a Motor rifle Platoon.

The first game was brutal. Rather than try a mission we went for the good old "kill eachother" mission and set to it. I got first turn and advanced down one flank with my Panzergrenadiers with my Command Panzers covering them while on the other flank my Panzer Platoon swept around and hid behind a hill. In response he advance slowly and managed to take out my 2iC with a lucky Firefly shot. After that it was downhill all the way for the Poms. My flanking Panzers destroyed 2 cromwells and bailed a 3rd out of one combat platoon which resulted in the Firefly fleeing the field. My Company Commander and the Panzer grenadiers rolled his Command Cromwells and then shot all his riflemen to death despite them being in cover. This resulted in him having to test company morale, but having lost his CC, he failed automatically and victory was mine!

The second was a lot closer. Confidence up, we took the same armies but decided to try a mission! (Shock! Horror!). We decided on Free for All as it seemed relatively simple. I made a massive push for one flank, completely forgetting my objectives, so he double timed one combat platoon up to threaten one of my objectives. I quickly pulled my Panzer Platoon back to try to stop them, but they lost the resulting shootout and the survivor fled the field! On the other flank I destroyed his Riflemen in a daring mounted assault while our Company Commands duelled again. My Kanone emerged victorious after a couple of turns while the Panzerfaust team in the Panzergrenadiers worked overtime, destroying a Cromwell and a Firefly with ranged attacks and assaults. My Company Commander bailed the last combat capable Cromwell with a long ranged shot and the bogged down survivor fled! This resulted in him failing the resulting Company Morale check a single step before he would have claimed victory by holding my objective! A great game all around that I really thought I was going to lose.

I'm having a lot of fun with FoW and can't wait to try out more complicated stuff like Artillery.

Asher on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    God damnit, someone talk to me about this game! I've played a few more games with different missions and I'm still enjoying it a lot. However, I am finding that the British Cromwells are wrecking my Panzers if they can get in close due to the Tally Ho! special rule.

Asher on
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I do like Flames, although I've stuck solely to the tried and true "Drown them in bodies/tanks" method of soviet army construction. Usually bodies.

If the Poms are giving you grief, you probably want some Self Propelled Anti-Tank like Marders and do the old "Marder Shuffle".
    Specifically take shots and then Stormtrooper out of LoS.

What era and points are you playing at?

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Asher wrote: »
    God damnit, someone talk to me about this game! I've played a few more games with different missions and I'm still enjoying it a lot. However, I am finding that the British Cromwells are wrecking my Panzers if they can get in close due to the Tally Ho! special rule.

Just take Stugs. Just do it.

SJ on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Chrysis wrote: »
    Specifically take shots and then Stormtrooper out of LoS.

Do this, only with Panthers, because 560 points for 3 tanks is funny.

You could add Barkman and pay 700 for them also.....:P

The upside is, lots of people crap when they see multiple Big Cats on the table at once.

StuGs are a good all around solution to all problems.

TalonZahn on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Speaking of StuGs. In Late War (Fortress Europe) is it worth a +5 upgrade to StuH 42 per tank? Only change I can see is -1AT and +1FP (which is actually -1).

It Burns on
  • Options
    SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Been looking at getting into this (at the moment I have one Tiger), but instead of using BF minis, I've been thinking about using Old Glory stuff. 3 Pumas for 22 bucks? 50 dudes for $14? yes please.

Any of y'all use any other companies minis?

Svenska on
    Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Not really, but I guess there are a lot out there.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've only bought the BF stuff, but the Old Glory minis seem to be spot-on and pretty fucking cheap in comparison.

I spent a good deal of money on my armies and in the end have no one to play with. My idea of getting up to this one store for a weekly game was pretty silly since I'd have to get a car each week. So.. I'm playing Warhammer fantasy again instead. I'd still like to get a game of FoW in at some point though.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've used some other companies minis, but only for stuff BF don't currently make. So a lot of the Early War Russian tanks like the awesome T-35 and T-26 obr 1932. And I-153s.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    SvenskaSvenska Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm wondering just how effective my puma recon force will be. With it being in the late war, I just don't think I'll be able to do a lot of damage to the massive T-whatever army, or a pile of shermans and junk.

I'm really happy about the early war, though I haven't gotten a single thing for it yet. Still trying to decide what kind of force I'd like to get for it.

Svenska on
    Since your name means "swedish" in swedish, I just assumed you were, ya know, swedish.

eNozN1RVNTYwUDVRNVUzUjOsMVQzRCON1UyApAmYbQZRYwaRBlOqZSYA7ZUOyQ==