As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

McGibs' Painting Tutorial!

McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
edited December 2010 in Artist's Corner
I didn't feel much like working at work, so I made this! Listen to over twelve minutes of my sensuous voice as I doodle a little... lizard... dinosaur... thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHlEduMhraU

website_header.jpg
McGibs on

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yes! I will watch this when I'm not busy procrastinating.

Flay on
  • Options
    D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Finally. Awesome.
    I feel honored to be view number 7.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
  • Options
    nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanks, McGibs! I love watching other artists processes. It's very inspiring.

nakirush on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    that was informative

I need to try this masking stuff
    and the flow control

Tam on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This is very informative :)

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited August 2010
    This is so educational!

bombardier on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been looking for this EXACT kind of thing. Thanks heaps man!

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This helps to understand your process for the other speed videos on your youtube account.
    Like the tip regarding how you use masking

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Thanks Gibs. I've been wanting to use angle jitter for ages, and for some reason I thought it was set in was in scattering and I just couldn't get my settings right. Suffice to say I gave up on it, only to realise now, I was in completely the wrong menu.

Mustang on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That was cool.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Note: when I say "man I work really fast" it's because I dubbed this afterwards and was having trouble keeping up with the video.

I mean, I do work fast, but thats not why I said it. :p

Glad you peeps find it informative!

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrk!

envious!

r-jasper on
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh awesome, this is exactly what I've been looking for!

I had no idea what flow even did.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    CountBlackulaCountBlackula MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nice tutorial. Also, I like your voice.

There, I said it.

CountBlackula on
    8JHfoFW.png Dom's Sketch Cast
  • Options
    the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    DAMMIT GIBS! Why did I watch this at work... now I'm dying to get home and paint. Awesome tutorial... jerk.

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • Options
    MoorkusMoorkus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nice video, I really like seeing how different artists work, thanks for sharing.

Moorkus on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh my God. Square brush turns out to be some kinda epiphany for me. Thanks, Gibs!

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This was a useful video. Thanks man!

Flay on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I had no idea what flow even did.

To put it simply, opacity is the transparency of the ink/paint coming out of your brush, and flow is how fast it comes out.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Very nice, Gibs. We have a similar process. I have always meant to look into what I could do with masking and now I know!

F87 on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    that trick with the dual window navigator thing... Thanks for sharing that- helped me a lot.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Can anyone point me to a good rounded square brush like he's using? I found the square brushes, but they were hard squares. I made a rounded square brush myself, but it looks really jumpy. Not smooth at all.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh woah, this is useful, gonna try to do a little paint a long later with this playing. Thanks : D

Kochikens on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    Can anyone point me to a good rounded square brush like he's using? I found the square brushes, but they were hard squares. I made a rounded square brush myself, but it looks really jumpy. Not smooth at all.

Did you reduce the spacing? It defaults to 15%, set it to 1% and it should smooth.

Nice video Gibs!

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know I'm just a lowly lurker here, but I felt the need to post to show my appreciation for a tutorial this awesome. As someone who can only recently got back to working with a tablet after being way, way out of the loop, this vid really helped me out massively.

I had a look at it and then tried it myself a few hours later. Couldn't remember how to use the masks, which ended up messing with the colour and texture added later, but other than that everything was easy enough to remember. Considering about three weeks ago my shading was basically limited to this:

doodlemansmall.jpg

and tonight I rather quickly sketched out this:
    dinotoadsmall.jpg

I'm pretty pleased. Bad though it may be, it's nowhere near as horrible as what I used to end up with, and I can't thank you enough, you gleaming legend.

edit: Aw shucks, TOTP

kevindee on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just chiming in with another "this tutorial is the bees' knees"

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Really good tutorial Gibs - watching it made me pick up the Wacom and start blobbing some digipaint around.

Duplicating your active image in another window was a great little tip - I didn't know that one!

I initially found it a little strange that you paint the background in a layer above the rest of the layers but after giving it a go, I see that carving back into your line art gives the whole thing a much sharper edge -- interestingly, it's the same way a few of my friends do spray-paint/mural work.

Anyway, great work sir.

Grenn on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah I think I'm a new convert to that masking technique.

Though one problem: I tried just selecting the layer and painting over it to change color and add shadow, and I got some really nasty jagged edges. So instead I made another layer and used ctrl-shift-g so it would treat any transparency of the masking layer as a mask, which lets it keep it's anti-aliased edges.

I don't know if those words in those sentences made much sense arranged like that.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    awesome
    i'm a little confused on what gets masked where. did you duplicate the color layer and change the duplicated one to the reddish? then mask that layer?

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Yeah I think I'm a new convert to that masking technique.

Though one problem: I tried just selecting the layer and painting over it to change color and add shadow, and I got some really nasty jagged edges. So instead I made another layer and used ctrl-shift-g so it would treat any transparency of the masking layer as a mask, which lets it keep it's anti-aliased edges.

I don't know if those words in those sentences made much sense arranged like that.

You don't actually have to select the layer and get those jagglies OR make another layer: you can just lock the layer transparency (by clicking the little transparency box in the layers window) and paint over it and it'll retain any opacity, gentle transitions, etc..

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Derp!

Thanks.

At least with my way you can uhhh... toggle and stack effects on different layers?

Hurrr...

Fugitive on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm still a bit confused on some things..i need to rewatch the video, but after about 10 min i got this.
    Not amazing, but it showed me the potential in working this way, so it excites me. Thanks Gibs
    gibbs1.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Aumni wrote: »
    rfilyaw wrote: »

Did you reduce the spacing? It defaults to 15%, set it to 1% and it should smooth.

Nice video Gibs!

Wow, there it is. I had to google it. I'm always in that panel, but I never saw that option. I thought it was just the title of all the other options or something. BLEEEEEEEEEH okay, my lines in photoshop look a lot nicer now. Haha.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Being the troglodyte that I am, I can't figure out how to make a brush like that at all.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Being the troglodyte that I am, I can't figure out how to make a brush like that at all.

make a PS document with only one layer- transparent

draw a square/rentangle that is entirely opaque

open the brushes menu

click on "shape dynamics"

under "angle jitter", click on the drop down menu and choose "direction"

click the edit menu and choose "define brush preset"

viola

Tam on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That did it, thanks.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nice, nice stuff. This video explained a lot of simple but not obvious things that can really add up. Really curious to try out the rounded square brush, too.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure that my ancient PS7 has any of these options, but it was a great tut regardless.

Also nice slimeball you got there Zerg, his little bubble looks like a nubby johnson.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm not sure that my ancient PS7 has any of these options, but it was a great tut regardless.

Also nice slimeball you got there Zerg, his little bubble looks like a nubby johnson.

I had PS7 not too long ago and I'm pretty sure it's got all essential stuff gibs used in the video

Tam on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hmm I'll havta look into it. At first glance the brush options/menus seemed to be pretty barebones. Apparently I need some better brushes too because none of my square ones have all 4 points rounded off...

earthwormadam on