As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Spider-Man 3 Discussion Thread

• VashinVashin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    photo0002tx0.jpg

here is a pic of my spiderman 3 venom figure.

other than costume design i think it looks more like the comic books...

wish he looked more like this in the movie

Vashin on
    megadoomer311.png
    Pokemon Diamond:3394 0249 9567
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Isn't it Mutant and Meta-Human in Marvel?

Spidey is a Meta-human. Not a mutant, as he was born a human, but he has powers beyond a humans.
    Cyclops is a mutant. He was born that way and no amount of avoiding radioactive beam-shooting arachnids would alter that.

Meta-human is a D.C. term.

In Marvel, there is no general term for people who acquire powers due to outside events. The term "mutate" has been used to cover both those people, and the mutants who were further modified by the controlling group on Genosha prior to Magneto's rule.

mattharvest on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm told that in the Ultimate Marvel universe, the usual term is 'posthuman'. I also found an article (all right, Wiki) claiming that 'metahuman' is a technical term used in the MU Handbooks etc (rarely as part of stories themselves) denoting the magnitude of a particular power (supposedly enhanced human - superhuman - metahuman, in ascending order). Anyone ever seen this used in practice?

Wildcat on
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The use of those terms in Marvel seems to be a little more arbitrary than that, really. I've seen them all used as inter-changeable terms throughout CW and the Initiative, where they really like to throw those words around frequently. You can try and piece together an order of progression, but I don't think the writers adhere to one at all.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, I thought that myself to be honest. Still, it would beat 'Shift Z' and all those other classes from the Marvel RPG (god, I'm getting old).

Wildcat on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Spidey is a Meta-human. Not a mutant, as he was born a human, but he has powers beyond a humans.
    Cyclops is a mutant. He was born that way and no amount of avoiding radioactive beam-shooting arachnids would alter that.

In Marvel, there is no general term for people who acquire powers due to outside events. The term "mutate" has been used to cover both those people, and the mutants who were further modified by the controlling group on Genosha prior to Magneto's rule.

I've heard it was Mutant, Mutate, Metahuman.

The second one being guys like Spider-man(FUCK THE TOTEM), and the last being guys like Thor.
    I.e One was "changed", and one was always like that, but not a mutant.

But the term Mutate is confusing to be used with Mutant.

The Muffin Man on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

I've heard it was Mutant, Mutate, Metahuman.

The second one being guys like Spider-man(FUCK THE TOTEM), and the last being guys like Thor.
    I.e One was "changed", and one was always like that, but not a mutant.

But the term Mutate is confusing to be used with Mutant.

I think its Post-Human. My source is Reed Richards in Civil War #1 talking to Dr. Strange. Says he's a post-human and therefore doesn't have to register. I think Thor and the like would go with that. However, that does leave the problem of what the hell Herc was doing in civil war. But I digress. I don't ever remember seeing metahuman in marvel, but I could have easily missed it.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Shakey1245Shakey1245 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    IGN wrote:
    The big surprise in the FoxNews.com report is word that one character who appears to die in Spidey 3 might return for Spidey 4. "It turns out I may not be completely dead," the unnamed actor who plays the unspecified character revealed.

Odds on Venom anyone?

Anyways, saw this last night and was very pleased with it as a cheasball fast paced superhero film I laughed hard at the Spidey in front of the American flag thing which was so OTT it was funny. Still missing the smack talk from Spider-man during battle and the whole "it's over . . . no wait now it's o . . . no wait" was bothersome but I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Shakey1245 on
  • CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Did it bother anyone else just how much everyone seemed to love Spider-Man? I meen, I don't expect the entire city to be spitting at him, but the sheer volume of love seemed to really go against the character.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Vashin wrote: »
    photo0002tx0.jpg

here is a pic of my spiderman 3 venom figure.

other than costume design i think it looks more like the comic books...

wish he looked more like this in the movie

Why is he purple? I don't see why they wouldn't just make him black as well, unless they thought that would be confusing with the Spidey.

Mr Pink on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Cowbomb wrote: »
    Did it bother anyone else just how much everyone seemed to love Spider-Man? I meen, I don't expect the entire city to be spitting at him, but the sheer volume of love seemed to really go against the character.

The idea is that hes been a relatively flawless hero. He's only had to deal with low level criminals which he can easily deal with. He has more than likely saved and influenced a lot of people so it makes sense. Though how they contacted him to make sure he'd turn up on teh day? I dunno. Chalk it up to another Raimi-ism.

DarkWarrior on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007

The idea is that hes been a relatively flawless hero. He's only had to deal with low level criminals which he can easily deal with. He has more than likely saved and influenced a lot of people so it makes sense. Though how they contacted him to make sure he'd turn up on teh day? I dunno. Chalk it up to another Raimi-ism.

if the city was throwing your alternate identity a special party day to give you the key to the city, wouldn't you at least turn up to take a look?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Servo wrote: »

if the city was throwing your alternate identity a special party day to give you the key to the city, wouldn't you at least turn up to take a look?

Yeah but Gwen said "HERE HE IS" or something similar, expecting him to fly over the horizon.

DarkWarrior on
    edited May 2007
    yeah, i wondered about that part too

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Spider-Man1.gif

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The three people I went with agreed with me when I yelled "done" halfway through and washed my hands of this movie. Probably the single worst movie I've ever seen at a theater.

Crayon on
  • QonasQonas Detroit, MIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm so glad to see that overblown, melodramatic hyperbole still has a place here on the PA Forums.

Qonas on
    banner_default.jpg

There is not in all America a more dangerous trait than the deification of mere smartness unaccompanied by any sense of moral responsibility. - President Theodore Roosevelt
    edited May 2007
    Crayon wrote: »
    The three people I went with agreed with me when I yelled "done" halfway through and washed my hands of this movie. Probably the single worst movie I've ever seen at a theater.

was it also the first movie you saw at a theater? it must be nice to be young

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

well then, you need to get out of your Unibomber style shack a little bit more and get to the movies.

My god you people... did you never even SEE Batman and Robin? Or the Dungeons and Dragons movie? Or Bring it On parts 1, 2, or 3?? This movie is nowhere... and I mean ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE as bad as those.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited May 2007
    well i didn't see them all in theaters, sentry

(edit- although the first poster i ever got for my bedroom when i was a kid was a batman and robin poster our local video store gave me for free. i had it up on the outside of my door for years, until i left for college and my mom tore it down and, i assume, burned it because she fucking hated it)

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited May 2007
    oh god... I did see them all in theaters...

what's wrong with me??

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • QonasQonas Detroit, MIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    ..........there's a third part to Bring It On? O_o D:

Qonas on
    banner_default.jpg

There is not in all America a more dangerous trait than the deification of mere smartness unaccompanied by any sense of moral responsibility. - President Theodore Roosevelt
  • UFOffUFOff Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Qonas wrote: »
    ..........there's a third part to Bring It On? O_o D:

:winky:

UFOff on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...yeah
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007

I want to live in whatever world you are in.

Mr Pink on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The most recent Bring It On has Hayden from Heroes in it. My favorite line is when she says, "I'll never cheer again."

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited May 2007
    The most recent Bring It On has Hayden from Heroes in it. My favorite line is when she says, "I'll never cheer again."

Save the cheerleader; ensure additional direct-to-DVD profits from middle aged men who've been banned from high school sporting events due to lewd behavior

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

And now I need to rent that movie. Loev the Claire-bear. <3

And fuck you guys, I thought the first Bring It On was cool. I mean, good looking, leggy girls in short skirts flipping around and showing their bloomers. I can't imagine any reason at all that anyone would want to watch that.

EDIT: Haha, Sentry beat'd me for unintentional hilarity. :^:

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited May 2007
    And it had that dude from Upright Citizen's Brigade as an abusive cheer instructor.

Cheerleaders are dancers gone retarded.

And Eliza Dushku in a bikini carwash.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited May 2007
    And it had that dude from Upright Citizen's Brigade as an abusive cheer instructor.

That movie was so freaking awful... of course, it helped cement Kirsten Dunst as one of the worst things to ever happen to hollywood... it was hackneyed, it was cliched, it was boring and predictable and stupid. And yet, without sound, it could be a work of cinematic genious.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    edited May 2007
    Sentry wrote: »

That movie was so freaking awful... of course, it helped cement Kirsten Dunst as one of the worst things to ever happen to hollywood... it was hackneyed, it was cliched, it was boring and predictable and stupid. And yet, without sound, it could be a work of cinematic genious.

I thought it was a parody.

sexy bikini ladies to follow upon clicking- servo

Unfortunately, the one I saw with Hayden in it was remarkably earnest.

Apparently a fourth one is being made, and has been billed as West Side Story with cheer squads instead of gangs.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited May 2007
    i'm gonna say lets go ahead and just link the sexy bikini ladies for now

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Sentry wrote: »

I thought it was a parody.

sexy bikini ladies to follow upon clicking- servo

Unfortunately, the one I saw with Hayden in it was remarkably earnest.

Apparently a fourth one is being made, and has been billed as West Side Story with cheer squads instead of gangs.

If it was a parody then someone needed to let Dunst in on the joke... she played it like she was playing Ophelia...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

SPIRIT FINGERS

:winky:

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Mr Pink wrote: »

No kidding. I always laugh when people call this or that big-budget Hollywood movie "the worst movie ever". Do not presume to tell me about bad movies, I spent several years of my youth watching "USA Up All Night".

As an aside, never watch Bring It On 2. It was basically Revenge of the Nerds, except with cheerleaders and a complete lack of both nudity and comedy.

CyberJackal on
    edited May 2007
    Mr Pink wrote: »

No kidding. I always laugh when people call this or that big-budget Hollywood movie "the worst movie ever". Do not presume to tell me about bad movies, I spent several years of my youth watching "USA Up All Night".

What, are you saying Zapped Again wasn't a quality movie?

God, I loved USA Up All Night...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Not sure if I ever caught that one, but it suddenly occurred to me that Patrick Stewart totally ripped off Zapped for his movie idea.

CyberJackal on
  • HobbesHobbes Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Deleted. Didn't realize how much it looked like that...

Edit: Here. The Venom from Ultimate Spider-man Game

OverpoweredVenom.jpg

Hobbes on
    3DS 0817-4246-8005
    edited May 2007
    goodness

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Oh dear.

Do you have a thing for liking the terrible?

because i think you do.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hey, I don't mind the cover art...but again it's another shitty Daniel Way story.

God, it does scream tentacle rape in the worst way though.

Hey, AMS was fucking great this week. I think this did it for me:
    YOUGONNADIE.jpg

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD