As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need help writing a family letter for donations (gift)

1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
edited August 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Ah PA'ers, you're so resilient and thoughtful. I'm trying to figure out how best to word a letter to family members on my g/f's side, a sort of rally to get her a gift.

She wants an iPad and I want to get her the 32GB Wifi Version - I'm trying to allot $600 to the total and I need some help doing it, so I'm writing an email to her family to see about organizing this effort. I have about $150-200 and I don't expect anyone to match me $ for $, but hopefully we can get enough together.

Would you kind folks mind helping me edit this so I don't sound too expectant or greedy? I'm honestly trying to get her something she really really wants:
Hi everybody! I figured I'd give you guys a heads up on the plan so far. J has gone to the dark side and wants an iPad for her birthday, so I've been trying to figure out the best way to get it.

I figure I'd just solicit for donations in lieu of individual gifts. I want to take her to a nice dinner for the day of, so that should take care of the main even, but I figure we can all meet up for lunch or dinner or something if you guys want to do something like that!

Anyways, I have about $150-200 to contribute and I'm not asking for anyone to match it, but I hope to reach $600 between everyone. If not, I think we can get pretty close!

If you're interested, please let me know and I'll organize picking it up. She's going to be really excited when she gets it and I think it'd be cool to have it to her sometime labor day weekend! If you're not able, it's no big deal, believe me, we both know the iPad would be a luxury in this day and age!

Thanks for reading, hope to see you guys that weekend!

1ddqd on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Personal e-mails:

Hi Ethan,

J really wants an iPad for her birthday, and since I can't afford to get one for her, I thought I'd ask around to see if anyone would be willing to chip in. Hope you can help!

Talk to you soon,
    Your name here

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    lol - ok so maybe I was overthinking it. Would probably be better to do individual emails than a mass email...

...thanks for the idea!

1ddqd on
  • Options
    illiricaillirica Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    You could also just mention it to anyone who would ordinarily be getting your g/f a birthday present. They're probably looking for gift ideas anyway, so if they ask what she might like, use the opportunity.

My husband wanted an e-Book reader for his birthday this year, which was a little more than I could buy him (we have pretty specific budgets for gifts), so when his family asked what he wanted for his birthday, I just said "He really wants an e-Book reader, so it would be great if you'd be willing to contribute to the cost of that instead of sending other gifts." I didn't mention how much money we had or we needed or anything, just left it to others to send what they thought appropriate. No one took it amiss; most people just bought him a small gift to open on his birthday and sent a check for what they ordinarily would have spent.

Don't worry overmuch about it. Presuming these are people who want to get her a birthday gift anyway, they'll probably be quite happy to contribute to something she'd really like rather than buying her 12 pairs of socks.

illirica on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    That and you can buy cheap joke gifts to give to her before you reveal the iPad. It will make the gift that much better.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    HlubockyHlubocky Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Demerdar wrote: »
    That and you can buy cheap joke gifts to give to her before you reveal the iPad. It will make the gift that much better.

If the revealing plays out anything like this, it would be totally awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=653UcqY2Xqs

Oh my God I said I didn't care but I do care! Touch it but don't touch it...

Hlubocky on
  • Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think you've got a good handle on this at this point, but it's important to make sure people know you are interested in their input and not just their money. Asking for advice for other gifts is a great way to do this.

My sister would frequently do this the wrong way, by saying "Hi everyone, I just bought X this $500 gift and I'm writing so you can pay me for your share, which is $75." Even though she'd never talked to us about it and bought something WAY above the price curve per-person that we normally have. Incredibly frustrating.

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.