As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How do I? Sharing Files With all my computers and friends on Unbuntu

CharlesVICharlesVI Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Moe's Stupid Technology Tavern
Hello. I am back asking for help. A while ago you guys helped me install Unbuntu on my old Computer (going great thanks) and now I got it a new HD and I would like to store my movies and music on it but be able to get them from pretty much any of my computers. It would also be nice if I could share some select files with one of my buddies through this system though he will not be connected through my lan. Is this an easy project? And is any kind soul willing to help me?

In a nutshell I want to make a file server / storage computer, please help.

Thanks,
CharlesVI

CharlesVI on

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thank you trying it out now

CharlesVI on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Update: I have no idea what im doing. Samba is on the HD and i'm trying to configure it based on Samba's how to but the file I have to edit (I think) is read only and only root can change that.

CharlesVI on
  • Options
    Cyd CycloneCyd Cyclone Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You'll need to sudo it. Two questions: have you used the linux command line (and are you using it now)? and do you have sudoer rights? (I'm assuming you do, since you installed samba).

If you do have sudoer rights, run a terminal and use sudo nano /etc/samba/smb.conf (I think that's the samba config), to edit the config file. When you want to save, exit nano with ctrl x and type yes, hit enter and done.

Hit me up with any other questions, I set up 3 different samba installs in the last 2 weeks.

Cyd Cyclone on
  • Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    A simpler but slighty costlier solution would be to put your new hard drive into a caddy that can attach directly into your network, then you just network your way to that network drive.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png